Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2013, 23:42   #13636
Senior - BHPian

Massive price drop for samsung tab2 and sony xperia sola both available for around 14k - flipkart

http://www.flipkart.com/tablets/sams...ry&layout=grid

http://www.flipkart.com/mobiles/sony...io&layout=grid

Last edited by bluevolt : 29th January 2013 at 23:48.
Old 30th January 2013, 01:14   #13637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
On the other hand, tried CM10 on my phone yesterday. MUCH better than firmware provided by Samsung.
Please show me ONE original firmware which is good? Especially Samsung?

The whole custom ROM industry came about only because of crappy bloatware loaded firmwares!
Old 30th January 2013, 01:17   #13638
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
tab2 is not a price drop!! It's now introduced in Wifi only model with no 3G and calling capability.
Old 30th January 2013, 06:08   #13639
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am looking for an app / software which lets me sync my contacts between gmail and outlook. Everytime i edit or add a contact on my phone or gmail it syncs automatically between the 2. But i need the same for outlook too.

Any software / app or method please let me know. Tried looking up on google but it seems the google sync is not available for free gmail ids and is only available for business ids.

Regards,
Old 30th January 2013, 07:52   #13640
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Any software / app or method please let me know. Tried looking up on google but it seems the google sync is not available for free gmail ids and is only available for business ids.
For this to happen, your office should support it first. Almost all of the phones, today can sync outlook contacts via microsoft activesync.
So you need check with your office folks if they support office mail to be read on personal phones. (I assume by outlook you mean corporate email).
Old 30th January 2013, 09:38   #13641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
tab2 is not a price drop!! It's now introduced in Wifi only model with no 3G and calling capability.
This is what I was waiting for. Seems VFM at 14k INR.

One thing that I fail to understand is the massive price difference between the wifi-only and the 3G enabled models of the same tablet. Does it take 5-6k for Samsung to add just the voice calling and 3G data support in the same hardware ?

Another thing, how does GPS in this tablet work without 3G support ?

Rohan
Old 30th January 2013, 09:49   #13642
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
This is what I was waiting for. Seems VFM at 14k INR.

One thing that I fail to understand is the massive price difference between the wifi-only and the 3G enabled models of the same tablet. Does it take 5-6k for Samsung to add just the voice calling and 3G data support in the same hardware ?

Another thing, how does GPS in this tablet work without 3G support ?

Rohan
To add voice calling and 3G data, they need a 3g/voice modem. Then you need the ear piece hardware, mic and antenna.

Apple charges $130 to add just 3G data to the iPad without calling function.

GPS uses a separate GPS receiver. 3G data is used for GPS to determine approximate location using the cell phone tower, then the exact location is determined using GPS.

If you don't have 3G radio it will only use GPS for determining your location. Only disadvantage is a few extra seconds to determine position whereas GPS with 3G assist is faster.
Old 30th January 2013, 09:55   #13643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

For this to happen, your office should support it first. Almost all of the phones, today can sync outlook contacts via microsoft activesync.
So you need check with your office folks if they support office mail to be read on personal phones. (I assume by outlook you mean corporate email).
Hey,

By outlook i meant the outlook email client on my laptop. Not corporate email. I just want that the contacts on my phone, my gmail id and outlook on my laptop are in sync. One way i can do is using the phone software and using data sync cable etc. But was wondering if it can done automatically by using an app. Eg i have a software called GoogleSync or something which syncs the calender on my outlook with my gmail id. Want something similar for contacts.

Regards,
Old 30th January 2013, 09:57   #13644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To add voice calling and 3G data, they need a 3g/voice modem. Then you need the ear piece hardware, mic and antenna.

Apple charges $130 to add just 3G data to the iPad without calling function.

GPS uses a separate GPS receiver. 3G data is used for GPS to determine approximate location using the cell phone tower, then the exact location is determined using GPS.

If you don't have 3G radio it will only use GPS for determining your location. Only disadvantage is a few extra seconds to determine position whereas GPS with 3G assist is faster.
Thanks, I understand that A-GPS would not be available due to lack of 3G in this tablet.

But my doubt was regarding the maps. Do the maps have to be pre loaded for using GPS navigation ? How is this done ? Do we need to download the maps using wifi (before starting the journey) for the region we would be visiting ?

Rohan
Old 30th January 2013, 10:08   #13645
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Thanks, I understand that A-GPS would not be available due to lack of 3G in this tablet.

But my doubt was regarding the maps. Do the maps have to be pre loaded for using GPS navigation ? How is this done ? Do we need to download the maps using wifi (before starting the journey) for the region we would be visiting ?

Rohan
Maps need to be saved offline but navigation and directions will not work without a data connection. You can see the map but directions/navigation will not be active.

Only way to use navigation/direction on the go is to have a smartphone that has wi-fi hotspot feature and connect the tablet to use the 3G over Wi-fi. Counter intuitive since the smartphone will anyways have maps and navigation.
Old 30th January 2013, 10:24   #13646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maps need to be saved offline but navigation and directions will not work without a data connection. You can see the map but directions/navigation will not be active.

Only way to use navigation/direction on the go is to have a smartphone that has wi-fi hotspot feature and connect the tablet to use the 3G over Wi-fi. Counter intuitive since the smartphone will anyways have maps and navigation.
Thanks, I get the picture now.

They could have just removed the GPS feature altogether and reduced the price further.

Rohan
Old 30th January 2013, 11:44   #13647
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hey,

By outlook i meant the outlook email client on my laptop. Not corporate email. I just want that the contacts on my phone, my gmail id and outlook on my laptop are in sync. One way i can do is using the phone software and using data sync cable etc. But was wondering if it can done automatically by using an app. Eg i have a software called GoogleSync or something which syncs the calender on my outlook with my gmail id. Want something similar for contacts.

Regards,
I thought Googlesync can sync-up contacts too.

Here are two links

https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gappssync
https://kb.berkeley.edu/campus-share...e.php?id=27043

Quote:
Or buy offline maps like MMI and install them. I hope they work with plain GPS too.

Last edited by ampere : 30th January 2013 at 11:47.
Old 30th January 2013, 12:04   #13648
BHPian

Jelly Bean update for Galaxy S II

Any news on when to expect OTA Jelly Bean update for Galaxy S II handsets in India??

Old 30th January 2013, 12:23   #13649
BHPian

Hi,

It has been a week or so since we bought the Samsung S Duos. It is my wife's phone so I don't use i fulltime - nevertheless here is a brief review.

A good option in case you are looking for a sub 15K handset. Total costs was Rs 14,200 (Handset) + 1300 (32GB SD card) + 150 (Screen cover).

The Good:

+ Dual SIM. Both are 3G
+ Android ICS
+ Secondary camera

Above 3 points were main requirements. It ruled out other phones like HTC Desire V.

+ Pleasing form factor and feel. Compact yet substantial to hold.
+ Crisp and bright display
+ Good quality sound

The Bad:

- No alert LED for missed calls, messages etc
- Disappointing battery
- Laggy screen and touch
- Lacks auto shut down facility
- Charging takes looong time. Probably due to the 0.7 Amp charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
I finally purchased the Samsung S Duos to meet wife's requirement. Thanks to +ve experience with MMX A110 I was comfortable with the concept of Dual SIM Android phones which motivated to go for something higher than Karbonn/MMX.

Will post detailed review later.
Old 30th January 2013, 12:42   #13650
BHPian

For those of you who are interested, the Nexus 4 8 & 16GB are back in stock on the Play Store. The waiting time (1-2 weeks for 16GB) is also considerably less this time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks