Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2013, 15:09   #13936
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

a friend of mine recently bought the new Samsung Grand. she is facing a funny issue. If she has to send sms to a single person its fine. But, if she adds more names in the "TO" field, the message goes out as MMS. Its really strange.

Any thing / settings that we need to look into?

Thanks.
This happens if one of the contact picked from phonebook is an email contact without phone number.
Since gmail contacts are synced there are a few contacts which are without phone number.
Old 23rd February 2013, 21:56   #13937
BHPian

I was seeing the review comparison between Samsung grand and MM A116. It mentions here

The Galaxy Grand Duos trumps the Canvas HD by offering quad-band GSM support and tri-band 3G support.The only major things going against the Canvas HD are the lack of timely updates (if any) and the fact that you can’t use it anywhere in the world if you travel a lot.

http://tech2.in.com/features/smartph...round-2/771632

So we cannot use MMX A116 in europe and all ?
Old 23rd February 2013, 23:18   #13938
BHPian

LG Optimus G now available in India

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-image1955879235.jpg
Old 23rd February 2013, 23:36   #13939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I was seeing the review comparison between Samsung grand and MM A116. It mentions here

The Galaxy Grand Duos trumps the Canvas HD by offering quad-band GSM support and tri-band 3G support.The only major things going against the Canvas HD are the lack of timely updates (if any) and the fact that you can’t use it anywhere in the world if you travel a lot.

You missed the god-awesome 800x480 screen on the Galaxy "Grand".

That said, yes, these minor things (e.g quality of active noise cancellation etc) are often overlooked by folks.
Old 23rd February 2013, 23:56   #13940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

That said, yes, these minor things (e.g quality of active noise cancellation etc) are often overlooked by folks.
You meant awful, right? 480x800 for a 5 inch screen is too much of a stretch.
Old 24th February 2013, 09:22   #13941
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post

Most of the Europe uses similar bands for 2G&3G , as in India. So you will be able to use it there without any problem.

The Problem will arise in the USA , because they have the most different bands which are only used there. That is the only reason why companies make Quad-Band or Penta-Band phones at all.

But there are some regional phones as well.

Eg: Many Nokia phones used to have two variants-
One for USA (GSM 850/1900)
One for the rest of the world (GSM 900/1800)

Check the country specific bands here:
Mobile Networks:Coverage
Old 24th February 2013, 10:46   #13942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Any thing / settings that we need to look into?

Thanks.
Check message settings. Usually, when you add multiple recipients, it asks whether to change it to multimedia or not. You should click no and proceed.

Last edited by JustCause : 24th February 2013 at 10:47.
Old 24th February 2013, 11:10   #13943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

MMX A116 has 1280 x 720 IPS display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Most of the Europe uses similar bands for 2G&3G , as in India. So you will be able to use it there without any problem.

The Problem will arise in the USA , because they have the most different bands which are only used there. That is the only reason why companies make Quad-Band or Penta-Band phones at all.

But there are some regional phones as well.

Eg: Many Nokia phones used to have two variants-
One for USA (GSM 850/1900)
One for the rest of the world (GSM 900/1800)

Check the country specific bands here:
Mobile Networks:Coverage
OK thanks for the details, I have travel plans only for Europe, so i need not worry about this.
Old 25th February 2013, 00:25   #13944
Senior - BHPian

I'm in Barcelona right now to attend the Mobile World Congress 2013. Hope to see lot of new gadgetry being revealed by mobile giants in the coming days!

Any bhpians attending?
Old 26th February 2013, 11:55   #13945
Senior - BHPian

S4 to be announced on March 14th.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_to_a...-news-5599.php
Old 26th February 2013, 12:12   #13946
Senior - BHPian

Samsung Grand Duos It Is !!!

Well friends, you might have seen me trigger a riot here over which phone is better - Micromax A116 Canvas HD or Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos.

After a lot of head banging over this topic in professional, personal and the BHP Family, I finally placed an order for the Samsung Grand Duos. Thanks to my dear wifey for guiding me to a decision.

Product Name: Samsung Grand Duos
Original Price: INR 21500
Offered Price: INR 19350
Go this link above and scroll down to the 'All Sellers' section and select 'supercamdeals'
Seller: Supercamdeals (aka Zoomin)

Checkout and use the promo code: MOBILES10 to get additional INR2150 discount on the price of INR 21500.

My Personal Recommendation: Go for the Grand ONLY if this offer is available. Makes a difference of INR 5000 only compared to the A116 Canvas HD.

Well, I still stay that Micromax A116 Canvas HD is a killer in comparison with the Grand Duos, pricewise only.
Old 26th February 2013, 15:09   #13947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Samsung Grand Duos It Is !!!

Well friends, you might have seen me trigger a riot here over which phone is better - Micromax A116 Canvas HD or Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos.

After a lot of head banging over this topic in professional, personal and the BHP Family, I finally placed an order for the Samsung Grand Duos. Thanks to my dear wifey for guiding me to a decision.

Product Name: Samsung Grand Duos
Original Price: INR 21500
Offered Price: INR 19350
Go this link above and scroll down to the 'All Sellers' section and select 'supercamdeals'
Seller: Supercamdeals (aka Zoomin)

Checkout and use the promo code: MOBILES10 to get additional INR2150 discount on the price of INR 21500.

My Personal Recommendation: Go for the Grand ONLY if this offer is available. Makes a difference of INR 5000 only compared to the A116 Canvas HD.

Well, I still stay that Micromax A116 Canvas HD is a killer in comparison with the Grand Duos, pricewise only.
Congrats for going "Grand" How you feel about the rather lower screen resolution? When I had a look at Grand, I thought the screen would be bugged with pixelation, but it felt surprisingly good for the resolution it offers.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 26th February 2013 at 15:11.
Old 26th February 2013, 15:16   #13948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Congrats for going "Grand" How you feel about the rather lower screen resolution? When I had a look at Grand, I thought the screen would be bugged with pixelation, but it felt surprisingly good for the resolution it offers.
Well, its yet to arrive. Just ordered it today. Your first statement scared me - "How you feel about the rather lower screen resolution?"

But then, you made me smile with " I thought the screen would be bugged with pixelation, but it felt surprisingly good for the resolution it offers"

Hope it turns out as you say !!! Had to give in to some positives (1280.720) of MMX for a brand like Samsung.
Old 26th February 2013, 15:27   #13949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Well, its yet to arrive. Just ordered it today. Your first statement scared me - "How you feel about the rather lower screen resolution?"

But then, you made me smile with " I thought the screen would be bugged with pixelation, but it felt surprisingly good for the resolution it offers"

Hope it turns out as you say !!! Had to give in to some positives (1280.720) of MMX for a brand like Samsung.
Oh sorry, have a short memory problem. By the time I started writing, I forgot the fact that you ordered on Tradus For me, the screen looked much better in person that on paper. Between, had a chance to play around with an A116 yesterday. The screen obviously looked good, but I expected more in terms of overall screen quality. The phone is absolutely lag free and the owner said battery life is not that great.
Old 26th February 2013, 21:24   #13950
BHPian

2013 Smartphone is gonna get really HOT! More manufactures targeting India:

Amazing Specs for Price!!

http://tech2.in.com/news/smartphones...s-14000/787712

UMI X2 brings 1080p screen, quad-core CPU for unbelievable Rs 14,000

Blown away by the Micromax Canvas HD? Wait till you hear about this one. Chinese smartphone maker UMI has launched its flagship, the X2 in India, available online for Rs 14,000. The X2 is a follow-up to UMI's first smartphone, the X1.

That itself won’t grab your attention, so why don’t you take a look at the specs? For starters, the UMI X2 brings a quad-core MediaTek MT6589 processor, the same as the one in the Micromax Canvas HD. It also has a 5-inch IPS display just like the Micromax smartphone, but where the Canvas HD has a 720p display, the UMI X2 brings a full HD resolution. That adds up to 441 pixels per inch.

The UMI X2 has a 1080p display and a quad-core CPU

The UMI X2, you will remember, is one of many Chinese smartphones that are taking the world by storm, chiefly by packing in high-end specifications but at a low price tag. The high-end specifications are not limited to only the processor and the display. The 1.2GHz quad-core processor is coupled with 2GB of RAM and a PowerVR SGX544 GPU. We reckon that should be enough for any task you can think of. Well, maybe not for playing Crysis 3, but you get a fair idea.

The UMI X2 runs Android 4.1 Jelly Bean out of the box. We think there will be a few customisations, but looking at the images on the company’s site, it seems the handset is running an almost-stock version of Jelly Bean. The company says it will be upgraded to 4.2 Jelly Bean by April. It is a dual-SIM handset and supports a 3G connection on one SIM, which is pretty standard. Internal storage is capped off at 32GB and UMI has also allowed for a microSD card slot, which supports cards up to 32GB.

On the rear is a 13 megapixel autofocussing camera with LED flash. The camera supports HDR mode as well as 1080p video recording. The front-facing snapper is a cool 3 megapixel unit. The back of the handset is removable, so you can replace the 2500 mAh battery, if need be. All this is packed inside a 8.9 mm thin body. UMI has gone with capacitive Android navigation keys under the display instead of on-screen buttons, but it looks like the company has kept the recent apps button instead of the legacy menu button.

Here’s another look at the key specifications of the device
  • 5-inch IPS LCD with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels and 441 pixels per inch
  • Dual-SIM, HSPA on WCDMA, GPRS/EDGE on GSM
  • Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g with Wi-Fi hotspot
  • Bluetooth 4.0 with A2DP
  • GPS with A-GPS
  • Accelerometer, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, magnetic sensor
  • 13 megapixel primary camera with LED flash and 3 megapixel front facing cam
  • 32GB internal memory, with microSD card slot for further expansion up to 32GB
However, we have to admit that the handset looks like a result of something nasty the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Nexus did when no one was looking. Of course, in light of other rip-offs coming to us from China, this is a relatively original-looking handset.

Most Viewed