Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2013, 22:38   #14116
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

HTC One is gonna be priced outrageously in India when it arrives. Just look at existing HTC butterfly prices - 45k which is totally retarded.
Old 15th March 2013, 22:46   #14117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
is underwhelming to me (but its not their Fault). This is actually Samsung's Apple moment. The spectacular S3 means people had sky high expectations and it was always going to disappoint.
Exactly same reason why Honda couldn't impress with 9th gen Civic after the fantastic 8th gen Civic. We are on an automobile forum.

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 15th March 2013 at 22:48.
Old 15th March 2013, 22:59   #14118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
So finally the S4 comes to the party. If they price this phones sensibly which I highly doubt then I am surely gonna upgrade to it from my S2. But price it closer to 40k and I would rather stick to my S2.

Whats the take on HTC one? A part of me wants to leave samsung and explore something new this time, probably HTC. Have heard so much about there UI.
Aah! man HTC one is the best phone, I've ever seen. The looks, the build quality is to die for ( no i haven't seen the phone yet, but from pics and review, it's pretty much evident ).

And HTC's sense UI is very good, If you want to experience something better, then do try One instead of S4. But then both of them will be priced around 42-45k.
Old 15th March 2013, 23:07   #14119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Aah! man HTC one is the best phone, I've ever seen. The looks, the build quality is to die for ( no i haven't seen the phone yet, but from pics and review, it's pretty much evident ).

And HTC's sense UI is very good, If you want to experience something better, then do try One instead of S4. But then both of them will be priced around 42-45k.
Too early to take a call anyways I feel. Let them launch and then we can decide. Probably might get them from outside if the pricing here is insane. S4 would be very much like the S2 in a way. BTW how is practicing going on. I found some pretty good bowling games on android which you might want to check out !
Old 15th March 2013, 23:15   #14120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Too early to take a call anyways I feel. Let them launch and then we can decide. Probably might get them from outside if the pricing here is insane. S4 would be very much like the S2 in a way. BTW how is practicing going on. I found some pretty good bowling games on android which you might want to check out !
I agree all the s series look familiar, And i don't see any point that, you should upgrade your phone apart for look factor, You hardly ever use your s2 to its potential

And, practise is going awesome, I just scored 232 last night in bowling, No not in reality but in game

Last edited by sameerg001 : 15th March 2013 at 23:16.
Old 15th March 2013, 23:29   #14121
Senior - BHPian

did anyone else notice samsung used swiftkey for S4 keyboard? google was also developing the same technology? so much validation for those who pooh poohed it.
Old 16th March 2013, 00:35   #14122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
did anyone else notice samsung used swiftkey for S4 keyboard? google was also developing the same technology? so much validation for those who pooh poohed it.
The prediction engine is from Swiftkey. Its not exactly pure Swifty key as per company's statement.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/15/s...ung-galaxy-s4/
Old 16th March 2013, 08:40   #14123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Bang on! First thing first, Android isn't multi-core friendly OS! Adding more core will slow the system down overall.

How better benchmark scores co-relate to faster overall system I'm not sure!

If you compare Intel single core 2GHz phone in sure performance Vs 4/8 core you will know which one is better!

But after all, Good Marketing can sell scrap too!
Could you please put some more facts on this? Yes, there's a marketing gimmick in this outrageously increasing core numbers. But I don't think that's only it. There may be glitches in the way of implementation, but Intel's last year comments on android multi-core support seems to justify their single core mobile processor which came out that time when almost all others had dual and some quad also
Old 16th March 2013, 09:04   #14124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post

I love the looks of the One. Can't wait to lay my hands on one. The display looks stunning and the speakers at front would be great.

But from most of the major reviews that has been done, the sense 5 is not getting much love. Same goes for the much touted 'Ultrapixels' camera. From the samples i have seen, it doesn't do as good as i had hoped. The battery life is average which is usual with all HTC One series (one x, one x+, the one).

The two other drawbacks for me is non-removable battery and memory expansion. I think this could be a deal breaker for me when the time comes to decide.
Old 16th March 2013, 10:41   #14125
Senior - BHPian

Android kernel patches were merged in Linux main trunk long back.
Kernel is SMP enabled so if there are multiple threads running surely they do benefit from multicore.

Example all modern webkit based browsers run 5-6 threads atleast.

Android allows full multitasking and background services.
So I do not understand why people say it is not for multicore.

Application level programming to take benefits of multicore is also possible as OpenMP is supported.
Apart from this there is renderscript programming environment for GP-Gpu usage.
Native google apps like youtube are written in renderscript since HC.

About 4 + 4 cores the idea is to save battery A15 cores will be activated on heavyload and A7 for normal usage.

Last edited by amitk26 : 16th March 2013 at 10:52.
Old 16th March 2013, 13:28   #14126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Kernel is SMP enabled so if there are multiple threads running surely they do benefit from multicore.

Android allows full multitasking and background services.
So I do not understand why people say it is not for multicore.

Application level programming to take benefits of multicore is also possible as OpenMP is supported.

Apart from this there is renderscript programming environment for GP-Gpu usage.

Native google apps like Youtube are written in renderscript since HC.

About 4 + 4 cores the idea is to save battery A15 cores will be activated on heavyload and A7 for normal usage.
+1:

Android supports multicore, and the same program operates with less battery consumption for a similar period.

Also, there is not much heat as with single core phones and the UI is snappy without rooting!!
Old 16th March 2013, 21:11   #14127
VKS
BHPian

I got a nexus 4 from US and simply loving the experience . I used a humble lg optimus before this .

I couldn't have got a better deal for $397 including tax .It's a beautiful phone with glass on both sides but needs to be cared for .The glass may shatter easily.

I highly recommend the phone since its available in play store now.

Yes warranty will be an issue , but we all know how difficult it is to get any phone repaired even if under warranty
Old 16th March 2013, 21:18   #14128
Senior - BHPian

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0 P3110 (wifi only) yesterday.

I installed Skype from the playstore. But I am not able to make video calls using this tablet.

I logged in to Skype on the tablet and asked my wife to login on the windows laptop, both connected on our home wifi network. The video from the windows laptop is visible on the tablet, but the video from tablet does not get displayed on the laptop. Voice is going through, but is not very clear.

What could be the problem ? I have already uninstalled and installed the Skype application on the tablet after facing this problem.

Also, Skype takes a lot of time to load and then login on this tablet. Is this normal ?

Rohan
Old 17th March 2013, 08:35   #14129
BHPian

I saw the ad of gionee dream d1 Chinese company into Indian market, i got the specs which i wished for long time. Quadcore, 1GB ram,4.65 inch AMOLED, dual SIM, Corning gorilla 2 for 18 K, very tempting. Advantage from canvas 3 is the screen display and scratch protection
Old 17th March 2013, 11:59   #14130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post

I love the looks of the One. Can't wait to lay my hands on one. The display looks stunning and the speakers at front would be great.

But from most of the major reviews that has been done, the sense 5 is not getting much love. Same goes for the much touted 'Ultrapixels' camera. From the samples i have seen, it doesn't do as good as i had hoped. The battery life is average which is usual with all HTC One series (one x, one x+, the one).

The two other drawbacks for me is non-removable battery and memory expansion. I think this could be a deal breaker for me when the time comes to decide.
Check out the One review on engadget. They're all praises for it.

Regarding storage isn't 32 and 64 gb enough on a phone?

For the non removable battery, I think we have to get used to it because more and more phones are going to be like that going forward. With these high end phones battery should easily long for 2-3 yrs without any issues. And if you're stuck in a bootloop or freeze, there is always a hard reset using the power button. So, there is a work around!

Can't wait to get my hands on the One!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks