Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2013, 09:35   #14266
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Right... I got like 95% of my contacts on WA. But as I sad others like KiK are catching fast. Once it goes paid, and if it gets more sluggish, I'm counting on people appearing elsewhere.

As for the other things you have mentioned, they are valid only for higher end phones. But just because you have a higher end phone, does not mean you allow bloatware to run on it and make it tend towards a lower end phone.
You got 95% of your contacts on WA and you call it bloatware Jokes apart, I tried measuring my battery drain with and without WA yesterday. My Note 2 drained 2.5% per hour on 3G with WA and I had the same with WA. Regarding sluggishness on low end devices, FYI I have a Neo (1GHz 512MB) and a Defy with me, both running WA (on latest versions) and never felt any sluggishness/battery drain on these also. On any of these devices, I don't even have WA in the battery status apps list. So I believe the issues may be with certain devices and we can't generalize things like that. Among the above said devices, Note 2 and Neo are running stock and Defy is on WIUI
Old 26th March 2013, 10:30   #14267
BHPian

I don't think the issue is with whatsapp itself draining battery!

It's because most of us are part of different whatsapp groups and there's constant activity going on in at least 2 groups at a time. Sometimes only 2 guys in a group are chatting with each other and the rest 10 of us get irritating notifications.

So obviously, in this scenario, not only whatsapp but any similar app will drain your battery faster!

In fact the best way to check is by checking in BetterBatteryStats if whatsapp is causing any big wakelocks under the "Partial Wakelocks" section.

I have never had a big wakelock by whatsapp. On the contrary I have had to delete viber and hike because they were creating unnecessary wakelocks even on idle. My phone is a Note 1.
Old 26th March 2013, 11:36   #14268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Actually, it is. I run just apps on my phone, FB and TBHP. When I installed Whatsapp, even before joining any group, my battery life reduced to 50%. After 3 days, I got rid of it, got my battery life back to normal.
Old 26th March 2013, 11:54   #14269
BHPian

Google is selling Nexus 7 16GB for Rs. 15999. Shipping extra

Hi Guys,

Ships by April 5, 2013. Shipping will be calculated at checkout

https://play.google.com/store/device...d=nexus_7_16gb
Old 26th March 2013, 11:58   #14270
BHPian

Re: Google is selling Nexus 7 16GB for Rs. 15999. Shipping extra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post

My friend got the 8gb version recently from US for 200$. So I suppose 16 k + shipping for 16 gb is on the higher side.
Old 26th March 2013, 12:06   #14271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
My friend got the 8gb version recently from US for 200$. So I suppose 16 k + shipping for 16 gb is on the higher side.
This is a legal purchase from Google I mean from India, obviously you need to pay the shipping and the customs which will be always on the higher side. Besides, I think your friend will have a hard time to get the warranty inforce.
Old 26th March 2013, 12:23   #14272
BHPian

I agree on the warranty. But, paying double for warranty. Is it worth? Yes, it was OK for him as he used the same in US for a week b4 bringing it to India. So if any hardware issues had creeped up due to manufacturing defect could have been taken care of.
Old 26th March 2013, 12:34   #14273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

As usual, too late from Google. The world has moved on from Nexus7. Its the time of FHD displays.
Old 26th March 2013, 12:50   #14274
BHPian

[quote=pareshraheja;3076944]I agree on the warranty. But, paying double for warranty. Is it worth? [quote]
It is not double... $200 + $15 local taxes (on an average) makes it roughly around Rs12k and the Google India rate is 33% higher. Not sure if the markup is from Google or due to our taxes. I feel the later is the culprit.
Old 26th March 2013, 13:08   #14275
BHPian

No. Its not 200 + 15. Its 200 including everything. Including local shipping within US.
Old 26th March 2013, 13:19   #14276
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Never knew that Google is selling devices through play store in India. Cool! Did they recently start it or I missed the news?
Old 26th March 2013, 13:26   #14277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001

My friend got his phone delivered today after waiting for 1.5 months from snapdeal. I got to play with the phone too, more on that later and guess what happened, we went to nearby market to buy silicon cover and screen guard for his new phone and at the shop we saw quite a few piece of canvas HD with him, he quoted us 14.5k without any bargaining and my friend felt like a idiot for waiting for 1.5 months for this lol

Coming back to the phone, UI is kinda like Nova launcher, Camera is disappointing, front was good though and flash is there just for the name sake, don't even try taking a pic in night, you will be disappointed. The screen is awesome, build quality is good as it should be for a 14k phone. And the phone did managed, to play games like vector, temple run2 easily while doing multitasking. Changing from one running app to another was butter smooth.

All in all, a great phone for 14k, Damn VFM,
+1

Played for few hours with my HD last night. Screen is surprisingly good. Nice colors & viewing angles. Games load up faster & play better.

UI is smooth & overall it doesnt feel like budget phone at all.. IMHO.
Definitely recommended from my side.

BTW,
The provided leather cover is not that good & definitely not worth Rs 700 as claimed by MMX, instead they could have provided a decent quality hands free OR screen guard inside the box.

Will start using it once I get a scratch guard & a silicon case for it. Till then my lovely Defy is my daily drive.
Old 26th March 2013, 15:10   #14278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
You got 95% of your contacts on WA and you call it bloatware Jokes apart, I tried measuring my battery drain with and without WA yesterday. My Note 2 drained 2.5% per hour on 3G with WA and I had the same with WA. Regarding sluggishness on low end devices, FYI I have a Neo (1GHz 512MB) and a Defy with me, both running WA (on latest versions) and never felt any sluggishness/battery drain on these also. On any of these devices, I don't even have WA in the battery status apps list. So I believe the issues may be with certain devices and we can't generalize things like that. Among the above said devices, Note 2 and Neo are running stock and Defy is on WIUI
You lost me there. What does the fact of it being bloatware have to do with how many of my contacts use it?

If what you say about WA not lagging on your lower end devices is true, then its quite possible that the issue exists some handset makes and not all. However, since many others on the net have reported lag, its definitely an issue that needs to be addressed. And WA does not even seem to be interested in user feedback at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post

It's because most of us are part of different whatsapp groups and there's constant activity going on in at least 2 groups at a time. Sometimes only 2 guys in a group are chatting with each other and the rest 10 of us get irritating notifications.

So obviously, in this scenario, not only whatsapp but any similar app will drain your battery faster!

In fact the best way to check is by checking in BetterBatteryStats if whatsapp is causing any big wakelocks under the "Partial Wakelocks" section.

I have never had a big wakelock by whatsapp. On the contrary I have had to delete viber and hike because they were creating unnecessary wakelocks even on idle. My phone is a Note 1.
Being part of active groups will definitely cause further battery drain. In fact thats one of the reasons I stopped using groups quite sometime ago.

However, thats another issue. I seems the latest version takes more battery even without being part of any groups. The very fact that it grinds away and lags every time you click it open or do something else, suggests that whatever its doing is taking up more battery. So it seems apparent that extra battery drain is being caused on those devices on which it lags.

I'd checked for wakelocks too. But that was sometime ago and WA was several versions old that time. Never detected WA causing wakelocks that time.
Old 26th March 2013, 15:22   #14279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post

However, thats another issue. I seems the latest version takes more battery even without being part of any groups. The very fact that it grinds away and lags every time you click it open or do something else, suggests that whatever its doing is taking up more battery. So it seems apparent that extra battery drain is being caused on those devices on which it lags.

Not quite sure because the latest WhatsApp in my phone neither lags nor causes battery drain. I'm still at a healthy and steady 1.4% per hour battery drain.

Perhaps for you, uninstalling, reinstalling along with a wipe of cache and dalvik cache will help because sometimes an update of an app causes a wakelock and a consequent sudden battery drain like this in some phones.

It happened to me with one of the recent FB updates and when I checked with friends, their phones were fine. Had to reinstall and clear cache for it to get back to normal.
Old 26th March 2013, 15:33   #14280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajusherief View Post
Never knew that Google is selling devices through play store in India. Cool! Did they recently start it or I missed the news?
It started only Today.

But, i somewhat feel that they have priced it higher. Almost 4K+ than the US ones.

Most Viewed