Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 15:38   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
a) 2.1 updates are very well available at Samsung Service Centers
b) Corby Android is to be launched in next quarter.
Actually , only the Galaxy Spica is being updated to 2.1 . The original Samsung Galaxy ( this one has an AMOLED screen ), still runs Android 1.5 and seems like Samsung has given up on it. I heard it is because this phone has lesser RAM.
Old 18th June 2010, 17:40   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post
The question to ask yourself: Do you really need one?
I'm choosing samsung android over the Nokias is the processor, Samsung i5700 has a 800mhz processor and the android software which is waaay better than the symbains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
The problem is that manufacturers install their own UI on top of Android. So most of the phones do not run plain Android. That is the reason we have to wait for the manufacturers to release their updates. This is the reason Samsung Galaxy is still running 1.5 and Xperia is running 1.6 with no news of an update to 2.2 .

However, if you are adventurous you can directly flash your phone with stock Android and you will be able to enjoy the latest version.

I have also heard that Samsung is planning to launch a cheap Android phone based on the Corby platform, so maybe that could be the phone for you . No idea when it will be launched though.
May be i'll wait for it. Updating firmware from the manufacturer shouldn't be a problem unless the new softwares refuse to run on the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
My only crib about all the Android phones is their battery life. Very bad esp. HTC. Folks can comment.

I am not sure about the Milestone and Galaxy products.

But if you personally ask me the best VFM under 15K would still be an E71.
Has every thing that you need (if you are OK with a 3MP camera) and has great battery life 1500mAh. All this if you are not a stickler for touch screen. I was hell bent on buying an Android phone 3 weeks back, but the basic feature that I was looking for (Wifi/GPS/Mail (MS-Active Sync) was not available in any phone under 15K. I guess there were some HTC models (Windows based) but I was not interested.

Also Nokia with OVI maps (now available for E71), made me look at them more closely and I finally ended up with an E71. Sold off my previous phone for 3K and got an E71 at an extra 10K! That was real VFM for me.

I take all the points towards Android (Even I wanted one), but still an all-in-one package with good battery is some time in coming.
Battery on android phones aren't any bad as you said, Samsung i5700 gives 9hours of talktime and the E71 gives 10hrs, Also E71 has a 369Mhz processor where as the i5700 has a 800mhz processor which means more multi-tasking and smooth UI, besides E71 doesn't impress me with its multimedia capabilities unlike the i5700 which is built for multimedia and eye candy softwares

Quote:
Originally Posted by humans View Post
Also check out Samsung S5620 called Monte, this is a good phone with touch screen and every feature you can think of GPS, Wifi, 3.2 MP camera, 3G , FM recording, etc. But this is based on Samsung own BADA OS, but I must say this is not bad either.
Looks cool, I'll check it out, Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
My current phone is a 3.5 year old W810i. Still working very fine with good battery backup. My MTNL SIM is 3G connection So need a upgrade immediately. I use to browse using Wify's W760i but at times it end up in fights. I had visited Sony World, Janpath and had real demo on Vivaz and Xperia X10 Mini. Prices are 23000 and 15000 respectively. I liked both handsets. X10 mini is small (I liked it)but it is very very fast. There are lots of free applications to download. Not decided yet on purchasing. I have to check X10 mini Pro before final decision. Both mini and mini pro can be upgraded to Android 2.1 by late October 2010.

Cheers!
The only problem with the x10 mini is the tiny screen, It will be hard for me on the tiny 2.8 inch screen because i text a lot. x10 pro seems to be a good option.

Thank you for the feedback guys
Old 18th June 2010, 18:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

For your budget the Samsung i5700 Spica is the best buy android in the market right now. I got it 2 months ago with the updated 2.1 firmware. The fone is fast, no fuss, doesnt hang, the screen is good, syncs with your email very well and web surfing is quite good and fast too.

If you can do without the Fm, it has a decent music player, but then.. cant say about battery life in that case. The camera could have been better, but the fone makes up for all its shortcomings with the excellent UI, price and features.

I dont think it will be obsolete atleast for the next 2years unless you are extremely tech savvy and have to have the latest. For your price point, its got all that you can ask for.

Cheers.
Old 18th June 2010, 19:02   #19
BANNED

According to the Guru's the platform has now fully stabilised.
Old 18th June 2010, 20:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thinking of getting the HTC Evo (US version).

Anything negative to watch out for? Sprint has a good deal on them here.
Old 18th June 2010, 22:38   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

The HTC Evo is getting rave reviews.
Just came across news on engadget that Sprint is planning on releasing a White version (White HTC EVO 4G coming exclusively to Best Buy on July 11th, pre-orders start today -- Engadget).
There has been one issue I remember reading about and that is on some pieces the screen is coming apart (HTC EVO suffering from glass separation issues? -- Engadget).
Lastly I would suggest you have a quick scan through XDA-Developers (HTC Supersonic: EVO 4G - xda-developers), just to make sure that there aren't any major issues that you would be unhappy with.

It looks like a great device, I hope a similar GSM variant comes out in the future.
Old 18th June 2010, 23:04   #22
BHPian

Guys,

I have worked (read as developed APIs, tested in T-Mobile) extensively for HTC Hero and Google Nexus. My usage and reviews are restricted to these 2 models.

My only criterion for buying a Android based phoe would be that it needs to have a 1GHz processor.

Anything less than that, as in HTC Hero would not yield the best result interms of browsing or usage of maps and stuff.
Old 19th June 2010, 01:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Guys,

I have worked (read as developed APIs, tested in T-Mobile) extensively for HTC Hero and Google Nexus. My usage and reviews are restricted to these 2 models.

My only criterion for buying a Android based phoe would be that it needs to have a 1GHz processor.

Anything less than that, as in HTC Hero would not yield the best result interms of browsing or usage of maps and stuff.
How would a 800mhz samsung i5700 perform on the android?
Old 19th June 2010, 06:04   #24
BHPian

I personally find the samsung custom user interface a bit annoying. I prefer the HTC sense and the straight forward Moto blur interface. I suggest wait just a month or so and you'll have many many android options, HTC is also coming out some cheaper Android phones. And i too will join you on the android brigade, once i can spot a good phone, been holding on to my N79 for the longest time
Old 19th June 2010, 12:03   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
How would a 800mhz samsung i5700 perform on the android?
Personally, i would stick to HTC/Google. Not a big fan of Samsung phones.
A 800Mhz processor should be decent.

HTC has this snapdragon 1000Mhz processor on the later phones. They are gems.
Old 19th June 2010, 12:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderluster View Post
Akshay - why not the Xperia X10 - its being upgraded to android 2.1 - it's by far the best android in the market. Or the xperia mini pro is another good option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
Android is really turning out to be great, X10 will be updated to 2.1 in Q3 but 2.2 might take forever, whereas HTC phones (atleast Desire Incredible etc) will get 2.2 in Q3, and Android 2.2 has many worthwhile features that 2.1 doesn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Other phones you could check are the Sony Ericcson Xperia X10. The only drawback being that it currently runs Android 1.6 and sony has said it will be updated to 2.1 only by the end of the year ( no word of 2.2 yet ). Also, no multi touch support and currently displays only 65K colours due to Android 1.6 limitation.
Guys, i have the X10 currently which runs on Android 1.6, i hope even i can upgrade my current phone to Android 2.1 as & when sony launches it.
Old 19th June 2010, 12:47   #27
BHPian

I've an HTC magic .(T-Mobile my touch 3G).got it for around 16K from a friend,who legally unlocked it and brought it here.Used for 6 months.

First impression is very good.
Android 1.6 donut
Qualcomm MSM 7200A 528 MHz processor

Wifi/GPS/bluetooth/3.1MP camera.

the drawbacks in this model are:
1.bluetooth is capable of only headphone support.No file transfer.
2.No FM
3.Camera interface is very poor.Its like the old iphone one.Just autofocus ,no white balance adjusment or any other adjustments.(A newer version of this phone with 3.5mm audio jack is out now,which has a menu for camera with all those extra features.Don't know if I can upgrade to those menu functions)

GPS is very powerful.I get full GPS coverage inside my room also.My Vivaz take 5 min in terrace to pick up GPS signals and for initial sync.

You'll love the android applications and I hope those numerous apps ,compensates for these drawbacks.

I think the main part in android phones are the 50,000+ applications on Android market.
Old 19th June 2010, 17:33   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Lucky!!! Thats the hottest Android phone in the market at the moment. Sweet piece of hardware!

Quote:
There's really no major downsides. However, some of the super-techy stuff doesn't work so well as yet.

Here's an article highlighting the "bad stuff" that i came across this morning.

NY Times Article

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th June 2010 at 17:34.
Old 19th June 2010, 20:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
The HTC Evo is getting rave reviews.
It looks like a great device, I hope a similar GSM variant comes out in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
There's really no major downsides. However, some of the super-techy stuff doesn't work so well as yet.

Here's an article highlighting the "bad stuff" that i came across this morning.

NY Times Article
Thanks guys, another reason is the 4G technology that they offer.

Thinking if I should wait for at least the 1st hardware upgrade before I take the dive.
Old 22nd June 2010, 00:23   #30
BHPian

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, I bought the samsung i5700 Spica today and Android OS is pure awesomeness.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks