Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2010, 22:31   #61
Team-BHP Support

The next gen Milestone already on its way!

Motorola Droid XTreme - Full phone specifications
Old 8th July 2010, 01:13   #62
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion one 3G services are launched properly i.e in the next 4-6 months time frame, we can expect to see all type of manufactures pumping 3/4G phones in the Indian market at a resonable cost.
Be ready for the next mobile revolution.
Old 8th July 2010, 02:27   #63
Awaiting Email Confirmation

In my case, the heart wanted the iPhone 4, the mind said get the X10 (white - sexy as hell!) but work needed a BB. Bought the BlackBerry 9700 White today. I'm not sure if i should sigh.
Old 8th July 2010, 03:01   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The next gen Milestone already on its way!

Motorola Droid XTreme - Full phone specifications
I doubt if that's how the next milestone/droid looks like. That looks more of a photoshopped image.

There are actually two new phones from Motorola.

First is Motorola Droid X, which is already released in Verizon network. This is a phone without physical keyboard
DROID X by Motorola - Android phone - HD phone - Motorola USA

There is also a Droid 2, to be launched, which looks almost like the original droid/milestone
Motorola Droid 2 stars in its first video, touts 1GHz CPU and 512MB of RAM? -- Engadget

Either ways, we have two great phones from Motorola, but will they come to India?

Last edited by SilentEngine : 8th July 2010 at 03:04.
Old 8th July 2010, 04:00   #65
BANNED

Guys,

Please suggest me a phone which has free GPS Navigation in India. Price should be above 18K INR. I am getting the phone from US.

Does Iphone 4G allows free navigation in India? 1 time fee is also ok with me to download maps, but I don't want it to work only through internet or GSM network where I need to pay regularly.

This is urgent please..

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 8th July 2010 at 04:11.
Old 8th July 2010, 06:23   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Guys,

Please suggest me a phone which has free GPS Navigation in India. Price should be above 18K INR. I am getting the phone from US.

Does Iphone 4G allows free navigation in India? 1 time fee is also ok with me to download maps, but I don't want it to work only through internet or GSM network where I need to pay regularly.

This is urgent please..
If you need free navigation, then Nokia is the only way. Or best, buy any good phone with GPS and add MMI to it.
Android will run in Google maps, for which you will need GPRS to be ON all the time. If you still want android phone, get MMI maps installed.

Also you said price should be above 18? Or do you mean below? !

Last edited by ampere : 8th July 2010 at 06:27.
Old 8th July 2010, 12:32   #67
BHPian

Any android phone recommendations?
Budget - 15k
Requirements - clear voice ,good backup time, Doc/pdf reader is a must.slide qwerty would be added advantage

I checked the current lot. Samsung Andorids does not have a doc reader as per their site.
Not sure how good Xperia X10 Mini and Pro is.Does it have doc reader?

Im ready to wait 1 month more if there are any new launches coming up. Else will go to Nokia C6, which hopefully will come out by end of month
Old 8th July 2010, 15:07   #68
MX6
Senior - BHPian

C6 is coming out by month end? I've been hearing this since last 3 months! I have a gut feeling that the x10 mini pro might hit the stores before the c6. Anyway, I don't think that mini/ mini pro are coming with doc reader in-built. We might have to download from droid markets. And they are coming with 1.6 though it seems SE has announced an upgrade down the line to 2 or 2.1.
So I'm actually thinking, whether to go for mini pro who's cost is again speculative and can push north of 20K, but seems like will hit the stores early or wait for C6 which made a bang but is dying with a whimper, built on symbian but has inbuilt doc reader and claims to have free India maps!
Old 8th July 2010, 20:23   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you need free navigation, then Nokia is the only way. Or best, buy any good phone with GPS and add MMI to it.
Android will run in Google maps, for which you will need GPRS to be ON all the time. If you still want android phone, get MMI maps installed.

Also you said price should be above 18? Or do you mean below? !
Above 18K

Google maps is a shabby application. I have it on my current phone and is of no use.

Even the Evo does not have free navigation? or Driod?

How is Nokia N900? or suggest me a phone better than this please?

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 8th July 2010 at 20:24.
Old 8th July 2010, 20:58   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Google maps is a shabby application. I have it on my current phone and is of no use.
I won't call Google maps shabby, it actually helped me many times when I was not sure about the route. Once I need to find a Maruti Service Station at Mysore( Riju told me about one place but I had no idea how to go there) and it directed me pretty well(no voice navigation but just the route marking on the map) and another day I was able to reach Melukote when we were pondering what next after another Mysore trip. Another example of finding an Apartment in Bangalore, I never thought that Google maps will have that address in store and then to find a Hotel in Ooty. Google maps did come very handy. Even though I've Nokia Maps and Navigation (Route 66) in my mobile, I still use google maps whenever there is good GPRS reception(this is something that can be bettered).
Old 8th July 2010, 21:18   #71
BHPian

I am seriously considering HTC Wildfire. It is going to be available on Amazon.co.uk from 26th July at 300 Euros. At current exchange rates, this is very very good deal.

HTC Wildfire: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
Old 8th July 2010, 21:32   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
I won't call Google maps shabby, it actually helped me many times when I was not sure about the route. Once I need to find a Maruti Service Station at Mysore( Riju told me about one place but I had no idea how to go there) and it directed me pretty well(no voice navigation but just the route marking on the map) and another day I was able to reach Melukote when we were pondering what next after another Mysore trip. Another example of finding an Apartment in Bangalore, I never thought that Google maps will have that address in store and then to find a Hotel in Ooty. Google maps did come very handy. Even though I've Nokia Maps and Navigation (Route 66) in my mobile, I still use google maps whenever there is good GPRS reception(this is something that can be bettered).
Depends on experience. 2 Weeks back I was travelling in Bihar and I was surprised when it showed my current location as some place in 'Malaysia' (I was in Patna actually). I restarted my phone and tried, still the same. It took around 1/2 an hour for the phone to tell me my current location correctly.

I am not very sure but google Map only assists you where you have GSM network available. So places where you don't have network you will be lost if you are relying on it.

In Short, it is not a reliable software.
Old 8th July 2010, 21:43   #73
BHPian

For all those who are curious about Sony Xperia X10, x10 comes with a wireless BT headset which is FM Radio enabled as well (Costs about 4K in India on Ebay). That could be a great incentive to buy x10 in rather inexpensive range.

Quote:
Above 18K

Quote:
Depends on experience. 2 Weeks back I was travelling in Bihar and I was surprised when it showed my current location as some place in 'Malaysia' (I was in Patna actually). I restarted my phone and tried, still the same. It took around 1/2 an hour for the phone to tell me my current location correctly.

Try Google Maps in rural areas. That's where it outshines most operators. Remember, with 3G/4G networks, Google Maps will only get better (Okay So Rural areas won't get 3G within next 3 years, but most highways will).

Most of the times, Google Maps serves pretty well and that has been testified by many. Also Google Maps integrates very tightly with Google search, so if you are looking for a particular landmark, you have a better chance of finding with Google Apps (probably with a rating as well) than any other operator.
Old 8th July 2010, 22:46   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He he that's really funny, you can now tell that you've just been back from Malaysia. Anyway, do you have GPS in your phone? Just curious, as without GPS you are left with the BTS towers to triangulate your position and it might go wrong horribly if the towers themselves are not set properly. By any chance you used BSNL?

Quote:
I am not very sure but google Map only assists you where you have GSM network available. So places where you don't have network you will be lost if you are relying on it.
You basically need GPRS service enabled to get the maps downloaded. That's a must as it's a web-enabled service. So either your phone doesn't have GPRS enabled or the Bihar telecom provider doesn't support GPRS service. Probably it might be the later case as I've seen no GPRS connection in quite a few places in India.

Quote:
My experience is exactly the opposite. It all depends on how one knows the software and how well one is using it. I use it extensively and I can vouch for it's reliability whenever there is connectivity(if connectivity is not there then the problem is not with Google maps).
Old 9th July 2010, 08:05   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
So I'm actually thinking, whether to go for mini pro who's cost is again speculative and can push north of 20K, but seems like will hit the stores early or wait for C6 which made a bang but is dying with a whimper, built on symbian but has inbuilt doc reader and claims to have free India maps!
Both of us seem to be in same track
Not very sure if it will launch in India, but some European shopping sites have started taking pre orders for c6 with launch date mentioned as July 30th. Not sure how reliable these sites are
http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/14917381/Nokia-C6-Sim-Free-Unlocked-5-0-Megapixel-Touch-Screen-Mobile-Phone-Black/Product.html?_$ja=tsid:11518|c

GPS with Ovi maps are common in most Nokia phones now and yes it is free

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks