Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 13:00   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
KIES for Samsung Android Phones does not work on Windows as well. :(
I was unable to find something else to replace it.

Please check this link - Sync Software for Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, WinMo, Palm Pre, Palm Pixi, HTC Touch, Symbian OS phones to PC and Mac
See if that is of any help to you. (Dashing off for lunch)

-Biju
Cool, thanks a lot for that. One question though, for iPhone I could download apps and sync them via iTunes. Is that the case with Galaxy S as well? Or can I directly download apps to my galaxy s via an app (like market or something) on the phone itself?
Old 9th August 2010, 13:15   #137
BHPian

I have been using the Google Nexus one since past 3 months and love it . I have upgraded to Froyo (Android 2.2) and it is just getting better with some really cool apps coming to the MArket everyday

BTW it works great with my Linea Blue & ME. Except that i am not able to stream the phone media audio through car speaker even after Froyo update :(
Old 9th August 2010, 13:17   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Cool, thanks a lot for that. One question though, for iPhone I could download apps and sync them via iTunes. Is that the case with Galaxy S as well? Or can I directly download apps to my galaxy s via an app (like market or something) on the phone itself?
I have a galaxy S for the last 1 month. Coming from the N97 Original ..this is like paradise. Yes there is an "Android Market" app from which you can download everything. Airtel EDGE/Mobile Office is sufficient but I wonder what one can do with Photon speeds n this mobile.
Old 9th August 2010, 14:06   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
The software in the link I provided is a paid one.

Please check the post by Anmol on how to get the KIES to work. I will try that today.

As already mentioned in the earlier posts, there should be an icon with a title like "Market" on your phone. If you have a GPRS kind of connection activated, clicking that takes you to the android applications. You can search for, download and install applications. Once you open this market, if you bring up the "on-context" menu, you can click on "Downloads" and it will show you the list of installed applications and applications for which updates are available are also displayed. You can then update your applications. Your phone should work similarly, being a Samsung. So you can do everything from the phone itself.

This may be a bit expensive since you need to have an internet (GPRS/EDGE etc.) connection on your phone. If you want to do it from the PC you may be able to do it once you have Android 2.2, since that supports apps on SD card.

Android.com - Market
AndroLib, Find all the applications and games available in the Android Market for your Android Phone, HTC Dream, HTC Magic etc...

-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 9th August 2010 at 14:22.
Old 9th August 2010, 14:07   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep_K_Ram View Post
I have a galaxy S for the last 1 month. Coming from the N97 Original ..this is like paradise. Yes there is an "Android Market" app from which you can download everything. Airtel EDGE/Mobile Office is sufficient but I wonder what one can do with Photon speeds n this mobile.
Cool, thanks a lot for this info. I am just delaying my buy because of a certain cc bill and the hope that desire will be launched soon .

Thank you for the info Biju. Cleared up a lot of doubts for me.

Last edited by HellwratH : 9th August 2010 at 14:09.
Old 9th August 2010, 14:58   #141
Senior - BHPian

Am I the only one who is having no trouble so far from Kies? It's running quite smoothly for me. Syncs many photos/songs from my laptop to the phone using Kies. You can anyway directly copy the songs to the storage also. For the apps I'm just using the my Wi-Fi and the Android market app. Works like a charm. No need to store in my PC and then sync later.
Old 11th August 2010, 18:35   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseled;
Galaxy Spica is for 24.5K in Delhi.
Can you please share the dealer information , I cant see dealer any thing which is <29 K . Is this without B & W ?

Regards,
Gaurav
Old 11th August 2010, 19:18   #143
BHPian

Don't remember the name but it's at Model town III market in North Delhi, also as corrected earlier it's Galaxy S and not Spica. PM me and I can see if I can send you the details.
Old 12th August 2010, 12:53   #145
BHPian

Does any one brought a nexus one from ebay india? need a seller reco.
Old 14th August 2010, 02:10   #146
Senior - BHPian

OK, here is my first impression of Samsung Galaxy S after the initial blown away period is over.
Pros:
1. Love the Swype. This is an awesome new way of typing and I'm loving it.
2. Contacts, making calls/SMS etc are way better experience than my old Nokia phone. Love the way the phonebook is integrated. Left swipe on a contact to msg and right swipe to call. Really nice touch.
3. That 16GB memory, this is really something good. And I can add another 16/32GB if required.
4. GPS latching is quite fast, atleast faster than my previous Nokia Navigator.
5. Loved those widgets to get stock ticks/weather/facebook-twitter updates. I feel I'm yet to use even 10% of the phone's capability I guess.

Cons:
1. GPS has some issues or it might be the issue of the myTracks software. I'm more inclined to say that the software might be buggy. Tested twice and both of the time the track it captures was not completed and in fact there were broken tracks.
2. KIES is totally crap. It worked for the first 2/3 times and now it totally stopped detecting the device. It just keeps on showing "Connecting device". The Samsung engineers should be ashamed of writing such piece of code. Also I can't access the internal SD card without kies. That's really stupid. It just doesn't work as a mass storage device. This is one reason I'm now feel like throwing off the device and buy another phone.
3. Battery life seems to be poor specially with the Wi-Fi on. The phone was switched off due to low battery once when I kept the wi-fi on. Otherwise it's ok.
4. And the Touchwiz crashed yesterday (it showed TWLauncher cannot be started, Force Close) and felt like the phone was hanged but luckily it automatically started working without any need to restart.
5. I must admit that iPhone interface is much more smoother and feels better to play with.
All in all, enjoying the phone but it does have it's niggles and rough edges which needs to be sorted out.
Regards,
Old 14th August 2010, 16:13   #147
BHPian

Samsung Galaxy I9000 - Review

Hi all
Here goes....
There was a time when i used to change my mobile once every 6months but that changed when i purchased Imate jammin in 2005. I never had the need to change it again since december of 2009 when the battery died and the comany has shut shop and no spares were available. Tried in the grey market but did not go well.

Decided to change my mobile and come back to symbian which i had used and am very comfortable with. My requirements of a mobile precludes necessity of a camera. The must haves are good audio clarity (cant live without music) and surfing (gprs, wifi). Almost went the symbian way when android started tempting me. Decided to wait it out for some time. For 6 months i was using a spare phone (Motorokr E6) and finally took the plunge.

Researched enough to realize symbian is not making much headway (Maybe the next version will) and android is making things much more user friendly. Iphone was never a option for lot of reasons that i dont want to highlight here.
Phones that were considered

Google nexus - Great phone but available only in grey market and no service back up. Some of my colleagues have it and works like a charm. No issues though. All of them have the froyo update already. But i did not want to risk money when there is no service back up.

Sony Ericsson Xperia - Ruled out because the screen though big lacked the clarity (only 65k colours). Few issues with the loudness of speakers and headphones, more expensive and probably will never get updated to the newer version.

Motorola Milestone - Neatly build device. Lower processor speed and poor service backup. I called the service center to enquire and the number is already out of service. The number was provided in the motorola website. Pity.

HTC desire - Again not launched in india. No service backup. But the main problem is that the lack of space for loading softwares. You would have to remove softwares to create space for newer softwares. Will get sorted out with the 2.2 update which allows you to install the software in SD card. HTC sense user interface is a big plus in this.

HTC wildfire - Cheap but lower processor speed, inferior ram, screen resolution is not upto the mark.

HTC Legend - Good screen resolution but inferior processor and RAM. Much similar to HTC wildfire except for the screen resolution. Not worth the price.

Samsung Galaxy I9000 - When i saw what i can get out of this mobile there was truly no other competetion still decided to wait for one month before the reviews were out. I have purchased this mobile one month earlier and am truly impressed with this. The resolution of the screen is great. If you are into watching videos, youtube etc on your mobile this is it. It has got youtube client integrated into the device. Audio clarity is great. Though the headphones are good i prefer to use Bose noise reduction headphones. Browsing is good and google has made the interface so simple i dont know how i have put up with windows and symbian so long. Lots of softwares are available and i have to really confine myself to what i need. There are 7 homescreens available and i have configured it to my requirement. Believe me or not i have very rarely pressed the home button. Camera is good if you have adequate lightning, but xenon flash would have been great. But the videos are great and it records seamlessly. Playing 720p resolution videos in this baby is smooth. I have ensured service backup is available. Anyway have taken extended warranty for one more year and theft insurance also. GPRS and WIFI works without any hiccoughs. Have not tested GPS yet. The best thing about android is that all your google accounts get synchronized automatically once you activate it. You can synchronize upto 10 email accounts. Google docs, picassa etc gets updated automatically.

I had purchased it from Mobile store, RK salai, Chennai. The guys there knew what they were talking about unlike the idiots from Univercel and poorvika. Vasavi was ruled out since they were also dealing with grey market pieces.
Anyway guys hope this helps. Cheers.

Last edited by Technocrat : 29th September 2010 at 06:27. Reason: Added paragraph breaks for better readability, thanks
Old 14th August 2010, 17:06   #148
Senior - BHPian

Good review. Can you please mention the cost of the phone.
Old 14th August 2010, 19:27   #149
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Good review. the phone looks really promising. Samsung is doing big in high end phones these days. Price is 27k per univercell.
Old 14th August 2010, 22:40   #150
BHPian

@Kaushik,

For issue with Kies...

Look in the tray icon for Kies... tick on "Autostart tray icon" and disable "Autostart Kies". Now when you connect your USB cable to galaxy, wait for galaxy to show "Connected". First it would show "Initialising" then "connected".

After it shows connected, double click on Kies icon and it would connect galaxy in 5 seconds and recognise it.

One more thing, the new firmware on galaxy Build ECLAIR.DDJG4 makes it even more quicker.

Any issues, PM me. I would love to hep out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks