Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2010, 20:18   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
eeek.... Android doesn't support indic languages. no kannada no tamil no hindi... this is a first real surprise to me.

My friend came in, took the phone and punched in thatstamil. And all blocks loaded. he said, no unicode support. Was really humbled. :(

browser shows unicode, but doesn't load tamil websites. umm.... will opera mini help here?
I think Opera Mini should definitely help here coz the rendering in case of Opera Mini, is done on their servers and not your phone. What you get on your phone is like an image of the webpage. Do try it out and see if it works.
Old 20th August 2010, 02:29   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Thanks a lot Rehaan, that really works. Well, here's the story, initially GPS was working fine, getting connected to very fast. But last 2-3 days somehow it was just not connecting and showing unable to get location. With the changes mentioned and also changing Skyhook to On(doubt if that works in India as it's for US only) now I just checked the GPS connection and yes it's showing my position accurately. Hope that it keeps working now. Will try to use myTrack tomorrow or day after again to test the connectivity.
And I'm still facing the network connectivity problem intermittently. After being idle for a long time the phone just become unreachable. Gonna put the SIM in my old phone and check now. My firmware is DDJF3, is there a new firmware then this available?
Old 20th August 2010, 09:52   #183
BHPian

After keying *#*#1472365#*#*, select get position test. Do it under open sky. It will show the no of satellites, the phone hooked on to. Outside my home, i got 10 in 20 secs. And that is w/o rehaan's w/a. location are pretty accurate.

Lets see how long this goes.

Quote:
I think Opera Mini should definitely help here coz the rendering in case of Opera Mini, is done on their servers and not your phone. What you get on your phone is like an image of the webpage. Do try it out and see if it works.
Yes, that helped. Thanks.
Old 20th August 2010, 10:43   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
With the changes mentioned and also changing Skyhook to On(doubt if that works in India as it's for US only) now I just checked the GPS connection and yes it's showing my position accurately.
Skyhook does seem to have coverage in india. at least here in bangalore. Skyhook: How It Works > Coverage That tiny blue dot over bangalore.

Now after understanding how it works, probably skyhook is masking the issue with the a-gps. when a-gps really not working, i guess it is using the cell tower, wifi to fetch the data. Skyhook: How It Works > Overview

Better, when mytrack is working, check the the no of sats ur hooked on to.
Old 20th August 2010, 11:50   #185
BHPian

So, I made the jump guys, I bought a Galaxy S from univercell yesterday. The firmware that came with it is I9000DDJF6, and I didn't bother installing KIES etc., as I was busy playing around and installing applications . So far, I don't see lag but I did see some lag while using an app called taskkiller or something like that, but I removed it and moved to another automatic task killer. So far, so good. Surprisingly, I forget all about build quality and any other shortcoming as soon I see the screen . The battery needs to be conditioned and I guess it will take about a week's time to do so. Eventually, I will root it (in a couple of days) and install brut maps for voice navigation in India. Oh, btw, I ditched TouchWiz and am running launcher pro, looks so much more better.

Are you guys re-encoding the videos to fit 800X400 or playing them directly? I saw some pixelation when I was trying to play some videos and I thought re-encoding might be required. I have a couple of movies (Toy story 1 and 2), both are 720p, and man, you gotta see it to believe it. Blew me away!
Old 20th August 2010, 12:01   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
So, I made the jump guys, I bought a Galaxy S from univercell yesterday.
Congratulations.

Keep updating us about the performance, apps etc.

First things first, I hope the mobile tracker is active on your device.
Old 20th August 2010, 12:05   #187
BHPian

Nice to know Hellwrath has finally gone on board with galaxy S. Congratulations.
Now has anyone found a decent case like that of iphone for their galaxy s. I am still hunting for it. Another problem i faced is i had put a scratch pad for my galaxy and it really screwed up the touch interface. Is their a specific brand that is better for screen guard. Unfortunately mobile store, univercell, poorvika do not have them yet. Any suggestion guys.
Old 20th August 2010, 12:29   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Congratulations.

Keep updating us about the performance, apps etc.

First things first, I hope the mobile tracker is active on your device.
Thanks you. I'll update here about the stuff I have been doing with it . The Asaphalt game just kicks a$$. And I haven't set the mobile tracker, Will do it right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Nice to know Hellwrath has finally gone on board with galaxy S. Congratulations.
Now has anyone found a decent case like that of iphone for their galaxy s. I am still hunting for it. Another problem i faced is i had put a scratch pad for my galaxy and it really screwed up the touch interface. Is their a specific brand that is better for screen guard. Unfortunately mobile store, univercell, poorvika do not have them yet. Any suggestion guys.
Thanks doc. Decent case? I am using the pouch they gave with it. I plan to order a scratch guard for it from scratchgard, or is there some place locally where I can get it?
Old 20th August 2010, 12:34   #189
BHPian

Quote:
So, I made the jump guys, I bought a Galaxy S from univercell yesterday.
Congrats!!!
desire is not yet available? htc is loosing it big time.
Quote:
Surprisingly, I forget all about build quality and any other shortcoming as soon I see the screen .
Becasue, there is none. It is a well built phone. screen and light weighted-ness will take away every ones attention.

My previous nokia had all metal casing. The back cover went out of alignment and never got it right.
Quote:
The battery needs to be conditioned and I guess it will take about a week's time to do so.
Battery life is slowly getting better. Never knew they need running in. lol
Old 20th August 2010, 12:43   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats!!!
desire is not yet available? htc is loosing it big time.
Thanks! Nope, no desire anywhere. Guess, they have messed it up big time and more over, one more thing which pushed me towards SGS was the GPU. Waiting to get all market access, and download the 3d games, before I get bored of playing asaphalt .

Quote:
Becasue, there is none. It is a well built phone. screen and light weighted-ness will take away every ones attention.
True. I agree.

Quote:
Battery life is slowly getting better. Never knew they need running in. lol
Lol, it used to be true with the earlier battery types, don't know if it's still true. Anyways, I have always followed the practice of using it until the last drop of juice is extracted and then charge it to full, so it should be okay. Am not that paranoid about losing battery charge when I am out etc., so I guess it doesn't bother me much.
Old 20th August 2010, 12:52   #191
BHPian

Quote:
before I get bored of playing asaphalt .
asphalt is not even loading for me. It seems to be stuck at the language selection screen for ever. Tried 3,4 times and gave up
Old 20th August 2010, 13:03   #192
BHPian

@HellwratH, congratulations on SGS. No need to worry about build quality, its known to be pretty strong. Worrying factor though is the back plastic is prone to scratches. I suggest not putting any screen guard though, been using that way for like couple of months now and no scratches on the screen.

Taskkiller apps are known to cause problems as reported in android forums in all android based phones. Suggest you remove all of those, update the firmware to I9000DDJG4 using KIES which improves the performance of phone along with providing a default task killing application from Samsung. The later alone is worth the update IMO. Problem with KIES is there is no way to backup the apps data, but the downloaded ones stay in andriod market under your user profile, which need to be downloaded again.
Old 20th August 2010, 13:17   #193
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Hellwrath, welcome to the SGS club he he.
I'm using a normal scratchguard and it's working absolutely fine for me. Just paid 130Rs for that.
About the videos I;m not doing any conversion and they look amazing vibrant. I'm yet to notice any kind of pixelation issue. Will load more files and see how it behaves.
BTW, guys, if chaos still doesn't work then how do I update the firmware? At the Samsung service center? What will happen to the data after I install a new firmware? Do I need to reinstall everything? What about phonebook and messages?
Old 20th August 2010, 13:24   #194
BHPian

Quote:
asphalt is not even loading for me. It seems to be stuck at the language selection screen for ever. Tried 3,4 times and gave up
Oh! It's a big download though, like about 70mb or so. Try updating to the latest firmware and re-run it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
@HellwratH, congratulations on SGS. No need to worry about build quality, its known to be pretty strong. Worrying factor though is the back plastic is prone to scratches. I suggest not putting any screen guard though, been using that way for like couple of months now and no scratches on the screen.

Taskkiller apps are known to cause problems as reported in android forums in all android based phones. Suggest you remove all of those, update the firmware to I9000DDJG4 using KIES which improves the performance of phone along with providing a default task killing application from Samsung. The later alone is worth the update IMO. Problem with KIES is there is no way to backup the apps data, but the downloaded ones stay in andriod market under your user profile, which need to be downloaded again.
Thank you. Taskkiller apps are known to cause problems? Hmm, but there's any other inbuilt way to exit apps that I am not using? My phone comes with I9000DDJF6, is that the older version or the new one?

And a good news for all the SGS guys, here's something I discovered,

Samsung Galaxy S - Indian thread - Page 8 - Android Forums

Check it out and be surprised .

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Congrats Hellwrath, welcome to the SGS club he he.
I'm using a normal scratchguard and it's working absolutely fine for me. Just paid 130Rs for that.
About the videos I;m not doing any conversion and they look amazing vibrant. I'm yet to notice any kind of pixelation issue. Will load more files and see how it behaves.
BTW, guys, if chaos still doesn't work then how do I update the firmware? At the Samsung service center? What will happen to the data after I install a new firmware? Do I need to reinstall everything? What about phonebook and messages?
Thanks Kaushik. Where did you get the scratchguard from? Hmm, may be most of your videos are already in the 720p with 800X400 dimensions or there about. I have only the toy story movies in that format (mp4, with h.264 encoding), and handbrake takes a LOT of time. May be, I'll have to find other ways of converting the videos/movies. I think phonebook will be intact as they are all synced with google, but your messages might be lost. Try the Titanium backup from the market, not sure if that requires rooting though.

Last edited by HellwratH : 20th August 2010 at 13:28.
Old 20th August 2010, 14:23   #195
BHPian

Wait till they rectify all the bugs and by that time the price should also come down ..
if very urgent and important go for it and keep on upgrading.

Most Viewed