Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2010, 15:09   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
My phone comes with I9000DDJF6, is that the older version or the new one?
JG4 is newer than JF6.

DD stands for india, i guess.

Quote:
Wait till they rectify all the bugs and by that time the price should also come down ..
What bug? One issue seems to be with gps. Is that what ur talking about?

Last edited by gkrishn : 20th August 2010 at 15:10.
Old 20th August 2010, 15:17   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
JG4 is newer than JF6.

DD stands for india, i guess.

What bug? One issue seems to be with gps. Is that what ur talking about?
Oh ok, thanks a lot. Will update it soon. Hopefully KIES won't act up :(.
I think, Carczar was answering OPs question .

Edit: Just received a call from the dealer, he received the stock of Desire now. But well, a bit too late .

Last edited by HellwratH : 20th August 2010 at 15:27.
Old 21st August 2010, 01:53   #198
Senior - BHPian

Update: Formatted the internal SD card and after that Chaos was able to connect. Did an firmware upgrade to JG4. Hope now the problems related to network instability will be solved. Keeping my fingers crossed. But with the firmware upgrade all my data is also gone. I've not saved my messages and all :( But luckily contacts were there in the SIM and in old phone's SD card. Had to setup the phone again with all the homescreens. Had to reinstall everything but the market had listed all my applications that I had. They are in the Download tab.
Old 21st August 2010, 09:41   #199
BHPian

Trivia: Mytrack stopped tracking exactly after 60mins. Why?
Clue: i am using airtel.
Old 21st August 2010, 22:36   #200
BHPian

Just ordered a case for my Galaxy S i9000 from www.case-mate.com

Case-Mate Samsung Galaxy S (T-Mobile Vibrant) Tough Cases (Case-Mate SAMGSTUF), Samsung Galaxy S (T-Mobile Vibrant) Cases, Holsters, Skins, and Accessories in Premium Leather

Also, I was interested in a case from noreve.com, it has awesome finish, but a great price tag too.

Last edited by anmolbedi : 21st August 2010 at 22:36. Reason: spell
Old 22nd August 2010, 09:25   #201
BANNED

MY dESIRE

Guys
Yesterday bought Desire which is slightly used.(Exactly 7 days old) for 23000Rs. Initial impressions are positive. Having used only Nokias for the last seven years I find the operation bit confusing.Will be updating my impressions soon.
Cheers
Dilip
Old 22nd August 2010, 13:03   #202
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Finally I did it. Been using an age old mobile (after my p1i broke down over 9 months back).
Waited for a long time for Nokia C6. Couldn't wait any further.
Yesterday I bought the Sony Ericsson Xperia x10 mini pro. Funnily, the name is longer than the phone.
Waiting for the OTA update to 2.1 next quarter.
Old 22nd August 2010, 14:43   #203
BHPian

Update so far. Haven't update the firmware as yet as I don't see any "lag" per se. Rooted the phone, made a Titanium and Nandroid back up just in case I choose to flash 2.2 on it. Currently, downloading tiles for south India (using mgmaps) to be used with Brut Google maps. Let me know if anyone needs these tiles, I will try and upload them (if the size is not too big). The zoom level is 16, so the size could be big. Waiting to try this.

Day by day, I am realizing how powerful this device actually can be and the support around it. Really impressed with Android .
Old 22nd August 2010, 19:46   #204
Team-BHP Support

Me too, mee tooo!

I just bought a Galaxy S as well!

Well, actually a few days ago - but i've been too busy playing with it, getting to know it and tweaking it to post here.

Firstly, Anmolbedi -- Thanks for the Kies tip man. Saved me a lot of trouble!

HellwratH - Yeah, asphalt is pretty good! Would never have bothered to download it if you hadn't recommended it.

Some apps that i highly recommend :

Swype
- If you're not using the (pre-bundled) Swype keyboard you are missing out man!!!!!
- This thing is fast and awesome
- Make sure the "word prediction" is OFF in the settings (it is by default), it gets irritating.

Launcher Pro
- Changes the look of the homescreen(s) and the way your icons scroll - very well designed.
- Lots of customization options!
- Some sweet additional widgets (bookmarks, people, calendar, messaging, etc)
- Gestures on the dock buttons (eg. tap msgs to view inbox, swipe up on it to compose new message)

Google gesture search
- Lets you write out letters/words with your finger and google will find stuff on your phone (eg music, bookmarks, contacts)

3G Watchdog
- Keeps track of GPRS + 3G usage
- Neat and small (size of 1 icon) widget that you can place on your homescreen to show you the usage
- Lots of tracking options

Floating image
- Cool way to look at images

Google Goggles
- Take a picture of something, and the app will recognize it and google it for you!
- Take a picture of some TEXT and it will search for those words + offer to translate! (Useful for signage abroad etc)

GPS Test
- Neat app for seeing your GPS status (how many satellites found / locked etc)

aDyno
- Android version of iPhone's Dynolicious. Seems cool + feature filled + free, but i haven't used it yet.

No luck with
- Androsync : Lets you sync music/media over wifi! No need to plug in. Didn't work for some reason.
- "The missing sync" does the same thing, but its $39!! Not sure i wanna spend that as yet.
- Getting calendar events to be sync'd to google. (It always selects the phone's calendar profile when adding a new event by default! It you manually choose google calendar each time - it works)
- TeamViewer is not available on android :( :( :(
- No way to buy or even try paid apps. I did not know this until i bought the phone! Paid apps dont even show up in the market. Hopefully Android market + PayPal tie-up is coming soon to help us out.

cya
R

PS - The phone does jerk / slow down briefly when using market / downloading files / switching between certain apps -- however nothing too painful. 2.2 should help. However, whats AMAZING is that it plays a 720p 3.6GB video file with absolute ease!!

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd August 2010 at 20:02.
Old 22nd August 2010, 22:33   #205
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions Rehaan. I have tried most of them except for goggles and gesture. And by the way that gps fix works well for me. Will try andro sync and let you know.

Have you rooted your phone yet? I have installed an app that lets me fake t-mobile as the network and I get all apps! And have installed another lag fix, will let the screen shot talk. Check out the benchmark scores, and I am still on 2.1

Oh, I forgot to add, the phone is BLAZING FAST now.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd August 2010 at 22:54. Reason: Editing post to keep this thread legit.
Old 22nd August 2010, 23:04   #206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have tried most of them except for goggles and gesture.
Give em a shot! I think gesture will be super useful once i put all my MP3s on there -- still trying to find the best way to do that. (USB "Media player" mode + Winamp perhaps?)

Just wondering - Any easy way to get AllShare / DLNA going on windows XP?

Quote:
And by the way that gps fix works well for me.
Great. I saw your earlier post. Ironically i couldn't get the "auto-config" option to select on my phone until just today. Cant comment on GPS as i've not used it outdoors much. (Had also updated that post with a few more links today)

Quote:
Have you rooted your phone yet?
No i haven't. Honestly, i'm not sure what the advantages of rooting an Android phone are? Could you explain/list them for me?

Quote:
Check out the benchmark scores, and I am still on 2.1
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!
When I ran this benchmark i was only a touch above the "Galaxy S", and then after the firmware upgrade via kies, i was a touch below!

How did rootining your phone make it so much faster? Please explain! Is it actually that much faster, or is this benchmark just tricked somehow by whatever you've done?

Two more things to add :

Some nice fonts
[APK] Vibrant FlipFont Downloads Here *** MASTER LIST *** [Now with PICS] Update 8/21 - xda-developers
(You'll need to register, but its quick + free)

AWESOME Live wallpaper

cya
R

TIP : For those who don't know - holding down the menu soft-key brings up a quick-search dialog.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd August 2010 at 23:07.
Old 23rd August 2010, 00:09   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Give em a shot! I think gesture will be super useful once i put all my MP3s on there -- still trying to find the best way to do that. (USB "Media player" mode + Winamp perhaps?)
Cool, will try getures .Did some research and found this,
TuneSync Sync Android™ with iTunes over Wifi for Windows or OS X

Download is on, will update on how it goes, but that's one software that has been recommended the most. Free version has a limit of 20 songs per playlist :(, that's the only thing so far. The paid version is $5, might be worth it. Check another app called Awesome drop, it's simple and very very nice.

EDIT: Works like a charm. Just brilliant. It might be worth the $5 after all.
Quote:
Just wondering - Any easy way to get AllShare / DLNA going on windows XP?
Umm, nope.

Quote:
Great. I saw your earlier post. Ironically i couldn't get the "auto-config" option to select on my phone until just today. Cant comment on GPS as i've not used it outdoors much. (Had also updated that post with a few more links today)
I tried it indoors, and it was pretty slow earlier. After the fix, the lock is much faster, especially in the native maps app.

Quote:
No i haven't. Honestly, i'm not sure what the advantages of rooting an Android phone are? Could you explain/list them for me?
Basically, rooting is the process of getting Super user access on your android phone, which have not been given to the end user as it can cause a lot of trouble if not used correctly.

Anyways, I rooted my phone to make a Titanium Backup (Apps+User data etc), Nandroid backup (to back up the stock ROM) and to load custom ROMs. If anything goes wrong, I can restore the stock ROM with nandroid backup and user data with Titanium backup. I am looking forward to Cyanogenmod ROM for Galaxy S.

Quote:
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!
When I ran this benchmark i was only a touch above the "Galaxy S", and then after the firmware upgrade via kies, i was a touch below!

How did rootining your phone make it so much faster? Please explain! Is it actually that much faster, or is this benchmark just tricked somehow by whatever you've done?
Rooting didn't make my phone faster actually. Some developers at XDA realized that the I/O is what is making the SGS lag, hence they worked out solutions to optimize. Basically they create an EXT2/EXT3 partition on the internal SD card, and move the apps to that partition, which makes the phone so fast. There is an app created by Ryanza for dummies like me, who can't script etc. When you download this app (it has an option for rooting) and run the option to fix lag, it will create this partition for you and move the apps to that partition, hence the speed . And yes, it is that fast (haven't tricked the software), SGS actually has lovely hardware, hopefully Samsung will use it better in their upcoming firmwares. The max I have seen so far is 2257, that was with some overclocking etc.

More info here,
Galaxy S I9000 Android Development - xda-developers (check the lag fixed threads).

The one I have used,
[APP] One Click Lag Fix APK - xda-developers

Last edited by HellwratH : 23rd August 2010 at 00:27.
Old 23rd August 2010, 02:29   #208
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Rehaan, on the new phone. Great going. I probably won't be rooting the phone as I'm kinda ok with it. I want to first see a rooted phone and then decide.
about the GPS fix, it does work and yesterday I used it to find us Namdroling Monastery at Bylakuppe(went for a day trip). But one thing I've to admit that my friend's nokia E62 was able to connect much faster. Mine took some time to connect compared to that phone. But once connected it was working perfectly fine with almost accurate positioning.
I'm using maps by codeMinus as of now. It also downloads the map tiles either from google maps or openstreet maps and store in the SD card. It's working but the software is laggy sometimes. And at times it doesn't even properly load the already downloaded maps and takes a lot of time to load.
Old 23rd August 2010, 12:02   #209
BHPian

Quote:
. Rooted the phone, made a Titanium and Nandroid back up just in case I choose to flash 2.2 on it.
Which method you used? There are so many on net.
I am thinking of this one... xda-developers - View Single Post - [UTIL] One Click Lag Fix
Old 23rd August 2010, 12:31   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Congrats Rehaan, on the new phone. Great going. I probably won't be rooting the phone as I'm kinda ok with it. I want to first see a rooted phone and then decide.
about the GPS fix, it does work and yesterday I used it to find us Namdroling Monastery at Bylakuppe(went for a day trip). But one thing I've to admit that my friend's nokia E62 was able to connect much faster. Mine took some time to connect compared to that phone. But once connected it was working perfectly fine with almost accurate positioning.
I'm using maps by codeMinus as of now. It also downloads the map tiles either from google maps or openstreet maps and store in the SD card. It's working but the software is laggy sometimes. And at times it doesn't even properly load the already downloaded maps and takes a lot of time to load.
Kaushik,
If you're getting most of what you want out of your phone, it's ok to not root. Somehow, the GPS on my phone is pretty fast, or may be because it's my first phone with GPS that I don't know what the standard actually is. The Mgmaps thing takes a lot of time, am yet to figure out another way of getting maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Which method you used? There are so many on net.
I am thinking of this one... xda-developers - View Single Post - [UTIL] One Click Lag Fix
Umm, I have used the app by Ryanza. Have posted the link in my previous post. Somehow I was too lazy to do the partitioning etc., so just installed the app and followed the instructions . I am more than happy with what I am getting right now, the phone is uber fast.

EDIT: Oops, did you mean what method I used to root the phone? I downloaded an Update.zip, re-booted the phone in recovery mode and flashed this file. That's it! But again, the app by Ryanza has this option, so you don't have to worry much and his app also gives you an option to unroot the phone. So, I'd suggest using the app.

Last edited by HellwratH : 23rd August 2010 at 12:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks