Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2010, 10:54   #256
BHPian

Planning to pick up an base android phone for my fiancé, which would be good choice for a budget around 10 k? Is the galaxy 3 I5800 worth it?.
Old 30th August 2010, 16:41   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreddy18 View Post
Bought in jaynagar , ph: 080-26536384 41235572
Thanks rreddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Planning to pick up an base android phone for my fiancé, which would be good choice for a budget around 10 k? Is the galaxy 3 I5800 worth it?.
redrage - I called the above no, its Mahalaxmi enterprises. The price quoted was Rs.12,100
Old 30th August 2010, 17:58   #258
BHPian

Thank you adi, will check it out. Any other options for 10-12k android phone (good cam, ver 2.1 and 2.1+ updates, wifi)
Old 31st August 2010, 07:34   #259
BHPian

GS owners, watch out for this.

Samsung galaxy s struck by factory settings reset bug - The Inquirer
Old 31st August 2010, 15:01   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Oops bad news. But good news is that the stupid Chaos anyway doesn't work. Oh wait, now they can say that chaos not connecting to the phone actually is a safety feature
BTW, what kind files have extensions that are 16 characters long? Just curious.

BTW, found another neat GPS application called SpeedView. Pretty neat speedometer with a option to record your run as gpx file.

Liked the game RoboDefense but it was pretty easy. Would love to see a much more tougher version.

Dictionary.com app is nice and pretty helpful but you need to be online to use the app :(. Any dictionary app which can be used offline?

And the problem of phone being unreachable is still there :( Even after the SIM was changed I'm facing the same issue. I really don't know how it works with other SIM cards and doesn't work with my number.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 31st August 2010 at 15:14.
Old 31st August 2010, 15:04   #261
BHPian

@kaushik, I presume the network issue with you phone has been sorted out after the change in sim.
Old 31st August 2010, 16:07   #262
Senior - BHPian

Got a GS for wifey. Whattaphone !

And yes, have not been able to make Kies work. Installed on my XP SP3 laptop. When opened it throws an error message which I am unable to close. It keeps popping up again the moment I close it.

Also unable to play video files with DTS audio. arcMedia probably plays DTS but is slow. The pre-installed player is good with video playback though.

Yet to test GPS properly. Been playing around with it since Sunday.

Need a screen guard. Should I buy Scratchgard?

Last edited by shuvc : 31st August 2010 at 16:11.
Old 31st August 2010, 16:59   #263
Senior - BHPian

Wasn't there a tweak in registry settings that you got to do to make Kies work as per XDA? With that there were Froyo updates done to Galaxy.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=769043
Old 31st August 2010, 19:26   #264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreddy18 View Post
I bought Samsung galaxy 3 , I5801

The gps seems to be really bad on this. I am not sure
whether it is on my phone only. Can some one confirm the gps performance on samsung galaxy 3.
I dont know about the "3" but the "S" definitely has an issue!
There are some halfway-there fixes available for it -- suggest you google the same for the 3, you might find something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
SpeedView. Pretty neat speedometer
Indeed! Thanks for the recco.
(Wish it had an accuracy indication too)

Quote:
And the problem of phone being unreachable is still there :( Even after the SIM was changed I'm facing the same issue. I really don't know how it works with other SIM cards and doesn't work with my number.
Oh, thats weird! Maybe it is a phone issue (since you probably didnt get to test with the other sims long enough?)

Im getting my SIM replaced today. My old sim has stopped working without me activating/using the new one -- is that normal? (New sim is not with me yet!) I imagined it would switch over only when i used the new one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Need a screen guard. Should I buy Scratchgard?
No need IMO. Apparently the Galaxy S has gorilla glass. See this :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1983099-post93.html

cya
R

PS - Does anyone get a satellite signal strength greater than 40 using GPS Test (see the numbers on top of the bars)
Name:  screen.png
Views: 1114
Size:  18.4 KB

@HellWrath - yup, i couldn't resist. Have rooted + one click lag fixed my phone. Was quite painless (via app availble in the market!) and phone is better, though still lags at times.

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st August 2010 at 19:51.
Old 31st August 2010, 20:00   #265
Senior - BHPian

@Rehaan, I'll check the GPS Test today once I reach home. If I remember correctly the maximum number I've seen was around 39 but I may be wrong.

GPS is working fine for me as of now. Today used the SpeedView and it almost instantly connected to the Satellites.

Will get the phone checked tomorrow at Samsung Service center. Might be some issue with the phone. Other card I tested was for around half hour+. When I called airtel today they told me to change to Network Selection as Manual instead of auto. Done that and now it's lil' bit better from what I see but still the phone goes to unreachable mode at times.

BTW, according to Airtel guys they are getting the Spectrum allocation for 3G by September within December there will be 3G service from them. Dunno how true it is.
Old 1st September 2010, 14:42   #266
Senior - BHPian

@Rehaan, checked with my phone using GPS Test. Nope, I also didn't see any signal strength stronger than 40. In fact it was 39 max. May be I'll try to check the same when the sky is open. Sky is cloudy these days here anyway.
Old 1st September 2010, 19:03   #267
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...they told me to change to Network Selection as Manual instead of auto.
Intelligent suggestion there!

Quote:
...I also didn't see any signal strength stronger than 40. In fact it was 39 max....
Hmmm. This concerns me (hardware wise).
Sprucegoose tried GPS Test on his Milestone and said he got a 47.

Anyway. Here are two screenshots showing what Launcher Pro can look like on the Galaxy S. (Pics look soooo dull compared to the SAMOLED screen! - Maybe something to do with the PNG format as well?)

Name:  snap20100831_205740.png
Views: 710
Size:  526.3 KB

Name:  snap20100831_205757.png
Views: 723
Size:  130.1 KB

cya
R
Old 1st September 2010, 19:27   #268
Senior - BHPian

Hey Rehaan, is that Wallpaper of yours is the panoview live wallpaper? I forgot the exact name but seems like it. But I couldn't find that on the market.

BTW, I did switched to Manual network selection yesterday and today at office my phone is now reachable almost all the time.

BTW, how do you take teh screenshots of the screens? Any app for that available or it's an inbuilt capability which I'm not aware of.
Old 2nd September 2010, 01:15   #269
Senior - BHPian

Had been to The Mobile Store last night, with the intention of having a look at the SG3 and other stuff and was told that it has a waiting period and I would need to book one to get it! They didn't even have a dummy piece to show.

Nuts!

I have half a mind to buy that phone, but not this way. Will wait until the euphoria settles, and there are more reviews.... unless I buy something else in the meantime.
Old 2nd September 2010, 13:38   #270
Team-BHP Support

I can't believe noone has posted the latest "BIG NEWS" here!?

2.2 is available for the Galaxy S now, but its still in BETA. Can be got via kies (in test mode or something like that).

Early reports say GPS fix in 5-10 seconds and better accuracy.
Comments about lag are mixed.

I haven't tried it yet, but will probably wait for the official release.

Quote:
panoview -- I couldn't find that on the market.
Panoplanet.
Its a paid app, so not currently shown in the indian market.
When i put in a USA simcard (even a deactivated one) it lets me buy apps from the USA market. Another workaround might be removing the sim and setting your wireless router to use a USA proxy. Haven't tried this one.

Quote:
BTW, how do you take teh screenshots of the screens?
I used shootme. Phone needs to be rooted for it to work! Simpler than the SDK method though.

Glad to hear about your network issue hopefully getting sorted.

cya
R

PS - Lately i've been having a weird problem with WIFI. Sometimes after i switch wifi on - it finds no networks. I go to settings > wifi and it doesn't even show the remembered networks in the list below!! I check and uncheck wifi there and it starts to work once again! Anyone else facing this?

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd September 2010 at 13:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks