Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2010, 13:09   #301
Senior - BHPian

@Sergei,
First things first, update your firmware, you are running on an older version.
About GPS, there are posts in this thread only which talks about some of the fixes that can be tried out. I tried and now my phone is latching to GPS within 2 minutes for a cold start. Give it a try. I've posted my settings to answer Rehaan's query.

About the gmail there is a option to setup your sync timings. You may try that and from your power control widget keep the sync button on. I've not tried it properly though as I normally keep the sync off. If I keep it on then I've heard the email notifications alerts for sure but never checked whether they were instantaneous or not.
What I've seen is that Yahoo mail app does this automatically, i.e. I don't have to keep the sync on to get the alert.
About that issue of wrong msg, it also might be the case that you've linked these two accounts accidentally. Check the Contacts and look for linked accounts for that particular contact.
Old 8th September 2010, 13:24   #302
BHPian

guys,
Did few cosmetic updates.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-snap.jpg
changed the default font, the status bar is now see thru, so is the dock bar. Also the battery status is now circle and shows the %. all thru the xda threads.

Regarding the lagfix, the effect is very marginal. I still see lags here and there. specifically when i try to access the message, dailer, contact etc. I see the black screen for few secs. Another lagfix seems to be in beta version right now. But i am going to wait till samsung gives out a india specific froyo.
Old 8th September 2010, 15:51   #303
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei View Post
I turn ON GPS with mobile data (3G/GPRS) OFF and load the inbuilt Google maps application and search for my location only to find that it is not able to display the same.
Known GPS problem on the SGS. Its very slow to get a lock and doesn't always work. See pg 6-13 of this thread for possible temp fixes.

Quote:
I switch ON mobile data (3G/GPRS) and try the same and it shows my location about 10 metres off of my actual location. (I guess it is showing me the location of the cell tower that I am receiving my signal from?)
Correct. A-GPS (Assisted-GPS) uses cell tower location for a more general location fix (less accurate).

Quote:
I was under the impression that it should display the maps with ONLY GPS turned ON.
Yes it should, and hopefully will do so well once we get the firmware fix (however you'll need GPRS/3G or Wifi ON to download the map itself (images/tiles).

Quote:
new mail and it does not get added to the list of mails in the inbox. But when I hit refresh in the gmail app, I see the new mails coming through. Am I missing some sync setting here?
Yes - i believe SYNC must be on. Not 1000% sure though.
Go to Settings > Accounts & Sync for more specific controls.

Quote:
...the phone was sending messages meant for my wife to my friend!
Damn!!! I heard of a similar complaint elsewhere but i thought it was just a one-off!! This is scary. Wouldn't be surprised if Samsung gets sued!

As kaushik asks -- are you sure you hadn't linked any contacts?

Quote:
"Handcent SMS"
I dont have NOLED, and have had no probs with handcent.

cya
R

@gkrishn - what is the "98" in the blue circle?

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th September 2010 at 15:53.
Old 8th September 2010, 16:16   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Niiice. Maybe its all the pollution thats killing the signal here!?
May be. I have no idea how it was so accurate and fast back home, something to do with open sky I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
guys,
Did few cosmetic updates.
Attachment 420305
changed the default font, the status bar is now see thru, so is the dock bar. Also the battery status is now circle and shows the %. all thru the xda threads.

Regarding the lagfix, the effect is very marginal. I still see lags here and there. specifically when i try to access the message, dailer, contact etc. I see the black screen for few secs. Another lagfix seems to be in beta version right now. But i am going to wait till samsung gives out a india
specific froyo.
I love the new look . Umm, not sure why the lag fix is not working for you as it works great for me. Though I have a bad habit of killing applications (using Advanced Task killer) from time to time and usually frees up the memory. Also, I am still on the stock firmware that came with the SGS as I haven't found any reason so far to update it.

Quote:
I think it's the battery indicator. Percentage remaining.

Thanks to SGS I am reliving part of my childhood. Remember all the mario and contra games we used to play? I download NESoid (NES emulator) and downloaded the roms for contra and mario, and man, I am loving it .

EDIT: Does anyone know of a bluetooth controller that I can get to pair with my phone to play these games?

Last edited by HellwratH : 8th September 2010 at 16:17.
Old 8th September 2010, 16:29   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
im guessing its Battery Status.. 98 %
Old 8th September 2010, 17:23   #306
BHPian

Yes, it is battery status.

Check this -> The Fightspit's Circle Battery mod repository thread - xda-developers

i am using version c.
Old 8th September 2010, 19:12   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Map my India,has Maps for Android phones.

Guys how is HTC Wildfire(Desire mini) as a entry level Android phone?
I do not wish to buy maps as i already have a PND device in my car with MMI maps.

HTC wildfire has a low-res screen which may not allow some apps to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Quite a few. Check out brut maps
[APPMOD][09.08.10] Brut Google Maps 4.4.0.4414-brut16 - xda-developers

The problem is that you will have to generate these maps and store them on your phone (MGMaps). I'd suggest you use this method,
xda-developers - View Single Post - [APPMOD][09.08.10] Brut Google Maps 4.4.0.4414-brut16

Other options are AndNav2, BigPlanet. Check them out and use the one that suits you best. I have been using Brut and I am very very happy with it.
Thanks a lot for the links, I will install them and report back
Old 8th September 2010, 21:10   #308
BHPian

How is the battery life for the SGS ?
Also what is the "normal" price for it now ?

What do you guys think, wait till a pre-loaded 2.2 or buy it with 2.1 ?
Methinks the price might drop a bit say before Christmas.
Old 10th September 2010, 00:19   #309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
not sure why the lag fix is not working for you as it works great for me.
It works great for apps etc as they have all been moved to the new EXT partition, however, i also experience more lagging when using the phone etc -- as i think those are still on the RFS filesystem.

Check out this voodoo kernel :

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Yes, it is battery status.
Sorry - seem to have missed that mention in your earlier post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Lasts a day of fairly HARD use.

Quote:
I dont think waiting just to buy preloaded with 2.2 makes much sense. Price drop, perhaps - but not major by chirstmas? Thats just a guess.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th September 2010 at 00:21.
Old 10th September 2010, 01:14   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lasts 2 days with some calls/messages/youtube/facebook, 50% gprs 50% homewifi. Around 3-4 hours of fiddling with the phone ie screen is on.

Quote:
Also what is the "normal" price for it now ?
Around 27-28K

Quote:
Quote:
Price drop, perhaps - but not major by chirstmas? Thats just a guess.
And then there could be a new version around the corner by Christmas so even if the price drops somewhat, you may not want to buy it anymore
Old 10th September 2010, 12:53   #311
Team-BHP Support

WhatsApp : A bbm-like instant messenger that is designed to be an SMS replacement. Cross-platform and available on almost ALL OSes. Works on data (GRPS/Wifi/3G). Supports sending files, audio, location. Shows when the other user was last available and if they have read your message.

WhatsApp Smartphone Messenger

Currently available in BETA for Android users. Get it now and get 90days - 1yr free.
WhatsApp Messenger for Android (visit link from your phone).

cya
R

PS - Registration attempt failed for me on day 1, but next day i opened the app and it was working, so give it some time (its a beta afterall!)

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th September 2010 at 12:54.
Old 10th September 2010, 13:52   #312
BHPian

Can anyone post how good is Samsung Galaxy I5503

Is it worth buying, I actually cannot spare 28k for I9000

I feel like buying one anytime but don't have any person around to guide me with its actual review, the Showroom idiots don't have a live set on display and one cannot decide by seeing a dummy of such a smartphone.
Old 10th September 2010, 15:40   #313
Senior - BHPian

^^^I have an eye on the same! But there don't seem to be any good user reviews yet. :(

Two major minuses for me in that phone is the low resolution screen and lack of a flash (or even a flashlight!!). :(
Old 10th September 2010, 15:44   #314
BHPian

It's time for a new Android mobile device for myself. I already own a Samsung Galaxy i7500 which runs Android 1.5 and I had it almost for a year and now the audio isn't working anymore. I do not know if the guarantee / warranty would work.

Nevertheless, I have decided to get a new one. I'm considering to get the Sony Erricson XPERIA X10 Mini, but the question that I have is will it ever get Froyo? I do believe that Froyo requires atleast 1 GHZ of processor speed and the X10 Mini has just 600 MHZ. Is this a restriction to limit the X10 to Android 2.1. Anyone has ideas on these lines?
Old 10th September 2010, 16:05   #315
Senior - BHPian

^^^Why would the warranty not work if it is less than a year old? In fact you should demand for it! Even if you don't want to keep it, you could claim warranty and then sell it and get a better price.

IIRC the SG 3 is a candidate for the Froyo upgrade and it chugs with a < 1 GHz proccy. So that may not be the only factor. Again, IIRC, 1 GHz is required by the next version (Gingerbread) which is not yet out.

Most Viewed