Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2010, 14:19   #361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
How does Motorola milestone and backflip compare to phones in same price. Is it only style value? Will they get or be able to run android 2.2 ?
Motorola is being very funny in declaring which handsets will be upgraded and which won't (as per region).

Check this link from Motorola for their upgrades:
https://supportforums.motorola.com/c...ftwareupgrades
Old 17th September 2010, 15:31   #362
Team-BHP Support

Glympse
Glympse - Share Your Where

I'd recommend it!

- Lets you allow people to see your location for the timeperiod you specify (15min - 4hrs)
- They dont have to be on your friend list etc, unlike google lattitude
- Send via SMS, email, FB, twitter etc
- Can be viewed in realtime on a computer / the glympse app -- or as an image that you keep refreshing on other mobile devices.
- Currently available for android + iphone. Blackberry coming soon.

Name:  glympseshot.png
Views: 741
Size:  269.3 KB

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-com.glympse.android.jpeg

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th September 2010 at 15:32.
Old 17th September 2010, 15:31   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Ok, since the "honeymoon" period with my phone is over, now I'd like to develop some apps for it. I have no clue about Java/Eclipse etc., so I guess I'll have to start with that. Any links or leads will be helpful. Thank you guys in advance.

You can give this a shot:

App Inventor for Android

Not sure if it'll work for devices that don't have stock android.
Old 17th September 2010, 16:22   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Glympse
Glympse - Share Your Where

I'd recommend it!

- Lets you allow people to see your location for the timeperiod you specify (15min - 4hrs)
- They dont have to be on your friend list etc, unlike google lattitude
- Send via SMS, email, FB, twitter etc
- Can be viewed in realtime on a computer / the glympse app -- or as an image that you keep refreshing on other mobile devices.
- Currently available for android + iphone. Blackberry coming soon.

Attachment 425241

Attachment 425242

cya
R
Awesome, I have been using latitude and works pretty well so far, but most of my friends don't use it, so this should be a good alternative. Will give this a shot. Thank you for this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei View Post
You can give this a shot:

App Inventor for Android

Not sure if it'll work for devices that don't have stock android.
You have to register for that and wait for an invite, been waiting since a week, let's see when I get it. BTW, I have downloaded the SDK, Eclipse, ADT and now going through the basics of Android framework and reading up on java parallely . Hopefully, I should be able to bring an app out in a week or two.
Old 17th September 2010, 22:16   #365
BHPian

Samsung Galaxy i899 CDMA

Any reviews on Samsung Galaxy i899 CDMA model launched by Reliance.

Please suggest if Android handsets can be used as GPS units as well or do I need to buy a seperate one for navigation.

Looking for an able upgrade for my ageing Nokia

Thanks in Advance
Old 18th September 2010, 17:31   #366
BHPian

Quote:
How does Motorola milestone and backflip compare to phones in same price. Is it only style value? Will they get or be able to run android 2.2 ?
Hi Kousik,

Motorola did launch both the phones in the category of smartphones & pricing is on higher side.

Motorola Milestone & backflip has been launched in India with being capable of multi tasking, running on Android with good processors. However, in terms of competition at the moment Samsung has launched Galaxy S with better processing speed running on Android too with good display quality.

New technology & higher processing speed is combined with a very useful OS - Android in such devices & thus are comanding premium for the same.
All this comes for a price

So its not just the style value which they are charging but also for the advanced software & hardware.

https://supportforums.motorola.com/c...?view=overview

Here you can see Backflip would not be getting 2.2 while for milestone its scheduled for Q1 2011.

Hope this answers your query.
Old 18th September 2010, 17:33   #367
Senior - BHPian

Guys, i have a SE Xperia X10 bought from UAE. any idea when upgrade to Android 2.1 will be available?
Old 18th September 2010, 17:37   #368
BHPian

Russian SE page says, it will be much before expected date, since only two weeks to go for the Q3 to end, we can expect the update by the end of next week
Old 18th September 2010, 21:19   #369
Senior - BHPian

I have a stupid doubt:

Since this phone is purchased in UAE & being used in India, will there be any issues regarding the update? I even tried the UAE website for updates, but even that dint work. Guess, its not released yet.
Old 18th September 2010, 22:03   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I have a stupid doubt:

Since this phone is purchased in UAE & being used in India, will there be any issues regarding the update? I even tried the UAE website for updates, but even that dint work. Guess, its not released yet.
The update is not out yet, it is expected by end of this year.

Check these links-
Sony Xperia X10 Android 2.1 (Eclair) Upgrade Expected in a Couple of Weeks - DeviceMAG

Sony Xperia X10 lineup Android roadmap leaked, misses Froyo
Old 18th September 2010, 23:31   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post
Here you can see Backflip would not be getting 2.2 while for milestone its scheduled for Q1 2011.
I understand they command a premium, but well Backflip is retailing for 20000/- and I don't think I'll spend that much for a phone now which will be locked to an older version of Android. Maybe Milestone's price is justified, and I see most 2.2 capable phones cost 25K upwards. So I badly want to experience 2.2, I better invest in a phone that has a future plan of running it, and unfortunately all of them are very high priced. I don't think I'll try Huawei, though

Kousik
Old 19th September 2010, 17:10   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Joe1980 - found it. See if this suits your needs:

"Sweet Dreams"
Sweet Dreams - Android app on AppBrain

cya
R
I just tried Settings Profile app. Though the Lite version allows only one rule to be set, I find it more than enough to use it for work and home. Anyways, will try Sweet Dreams as well. Thanks for the mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Ok, since the "honeymoon" period with my phone is over, now I'd like to develop some apps for it. I have no clue about Java/Eclipse etc., so I guess I'll have to start with that. Any links or leads will be helpful. Thank you guys in advance.
What kind of help do you need? You need to understand the OO principles to start with the Android SDK. I doubt you need to know anything about Java to develop for the Android platform.
Old 19th September 2010, 19:10   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe Milestone's price is justified, and I see most 2.2 capable phones cost 25K upwards. So I badly want to experience 2.2, I better invest in a phone that has a future plan of running it, and unfortunately all of them are very high priced. I don't think I'll try Huawei, though
True, Backflip is not value for money at the moment as it wont get an upgrade. I am using Motorola Milestone & dont regret the choice i made around 3 months ago as at that time only competitor for it was SE Xperia X10. Didnt like Xperia for many reasons most important being it was running on Android 1.6(Donut) while Milestone was already running on 2.1(Eclairs)

I have been able to root the device so as to play around with the device & have overclocked my device to 1.2 Ghz. Milestone runs like a breeze with only drawback being it runs out of battery faster than before, but i dont mind as compared to the wonderful speed i get.

These days using a new Windows 7 based theme as suggested on XDA developers. Here is the screenshot of the same:
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-cap201009191809.jpg  

Old 19th September 2010, 23:53   #374
BHPian

I bought Galaxy5 last week and its a great phone in this price range. I bought it from Chandigarh for Rs 9000. The best thing about the phone is its capacitive screen which so very responsive and also the overall performance of the phone. Despite of just 600 mhz processor, the response and performance of the phone is excellent.

Internet connectivity is very fast both with GPRS and wi-fi without a single drop in the entire week. I have downloaded many apps from the android market like documents reader, battery indicator etc and there is no impact on the performance of the phone what so ever.
Battery backup has been good so far giving me more then 2 days of backup with almost 60% time under heavy usage.
Camera quality is just ok. nothing great but still very usable. contrast and color reproduction is good.

What i like about this phone:
1. Excellent performance of the phone with no lag what so ever in opening any applications.
2. Excellent touch screen.
3. Its an android 2.1 v.
4. despite of small screen size and low on paper resolution, screen looks bright and vivid.
5. swype availability, though i am still new to this but i found it really helpful.

Things to improve:
1. camera quality could have been better.
2. I couldn't find any option under phonebook to delete multiple contacts togather.
3. During the very 1st battery recharge, when I switched off the charger, phone got shut down despite having about 50% battery. It happened only when I switched off the power directly but when I removed the charger from the mobile then this problem didn't occur. This was bit strange. Do let me know if anyone of you also faced this problem.
4. There is no divx/xvid support out of the box. Please let me know if there is any free player available in the market which can play these files.
5. No document viewer/editor out of the box. but i have downloaded a document viewer from the market and its working very well. I am still looking for an application which allow me to edit these docs.
6. No multi touch support. But I have to say, I dont miss it much with other zooming option easily available.

Overall, i am very happy with this buy. Its a value for money smart phone with so many applications and features and excellent performance. Before buying it I mainly compared it with Monte and Galaxy3. Monte don't have qwerty keypad so that was a deal breaker and obviouly I prefered Android over Monte's samsung OS. For, galaxy3, i really don't like the looks with silverish color front which is very reflective. More over the screen display was not as vivid as galaxy 5. But otherwise galaxy 3 is also a good option if you like the looks of it.

Last edited by zoom2_ash : 19th September 2010 at 23:57.
Old 20th September 2010, 01:18   #375
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Thanks for posting a review.

Guys, check out review with video of SG 3 here. SG 5 is also reviewed on that site, elsewhere.

It actually says the SG 3 screen is good! On the other hand it says camera is below par!!

Hoping others will post reviews of SG 3 here.

Last edited by Raccoon : 20th September 2010 at 01:20.

Most Viewed