Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 14:29   #796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Galaxy 3 has a GPS hardware with A-GPS support which can help in getting satellite lock faster. But if you are using indoors, only A-GPS can be used and in case of apps like Waze, it relies only on the GPS hardware. Try google maps and see whether the lock is achieved or not.
I have tried locking while outdoor too and that too with clear skies! But the result is the same. Google maps also does not lock the satellite.

Isn't the service free or do i have to pay some subscription to the network or something?
Old 1st December 2010, 14:30   #797
Team-BHP Support

IN my windows mobile, there is a s/w called gps catcher. It needs to be updated for faster sat locks. It typically expires in 3 days. But the problem of sat lock starts much later.

Check if something like that is needed for your mobile.

Last edited by bblost : 1st December 2010 at 14:32.
Old 1st December 2010, 15:35   #798
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Check if something like that is needed for your mobile.
Yes. GPS Status.

Menu > Tools > Manage A-GPS State > Download

(You'll need to have an internet connection for the download).

Alternately, you could try this : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2156642-post51.html

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st December 2010 at 15:36.
Old 1st December 2010, 15:47   #799
Senior - BHPian

Is the froyo update available officially from samsung for the galaxy S?? Is there any way we can update it without that useless kies, coz my phone does not get detected on Kies
Old 1st December 2010, 16:00   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Is the froyo update available officially from samsung for the galaxy S?? Is there any way we can update it without that useless kies, coz my phone does not get detected on Kies
Version I9000DDJP6 is available in this page. You may have to create a account.

You can use odin to update. It will wipe out all data. Do remove external sdcard and sim before flashing. read the instruction on odin usage in the same website.
Old 1st December 2010, 16:05   #801
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I checked this link casually to see if Airtel lists the Samsung i5801 as 3G ready:

3G phones HSPA, 3G phone WCDMA, HD gaming

It says that the Samsung Galaxy 3 i5801 is 3G ready, but uses WCDMA technology, instead of "HSPA". WCDMA is much older than HSPA.

What does it mean ?

EDIT: Ironically, i5800 is listed as HSPA. Are i5801 and i5800 different?

Last edited by DCEite : 1st December 2010 at 16:11.
Old 1st December 2010, 16:28   #802
Team-BHP Support

JayD, i was under the impression it was available via kies, but havent checked myself.
For getting kies to recognize your phone, either :
1) Download the latest version of kies - it apparently fixes this.
2) See a workaround by anmolbedi posted somewhere on page 7-11 of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Version I9000DDJP6
One thing i haven't figured out as yet is, what is the difference between JP6 and JPM and others? (JP6 and JPM are both parallel versions of 2.2 right?)

cya
R
Old 1st December 2010, 16:43   #803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Idealy it should connect easily, which kies did you installed on your pc ?? Was it downloaded one or picked up from any other mobile handset's cd ??

Remove any old kies installed in your pc, run a registery clean to remove old kies traces, download latest kies for I5801 from samsungmobile.com, convert your handset to Kies mode from mass storage mode and it should connect without any glitch.

@Rehaan - Firmware confusion can be resolved over here

Update - Only risk I see while updating firmware to a non-indian one or from xda that you passage to update via kies in future is closed, as while checking for updates kies will not find any updates for your phone's firmware on Indian servers.

Last edited by ashthedivx : 1st December 2010 at 16:51. Reason: Adding info.
Old 1st December 2010, 17:03   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
One thing i haven't figured out as yet is, what is the difference between JP6 and JPM and others? (JP6 and JPM are both parallel versions of 2.2 right?)
JPM is more recent compared to JP6. But JP6 is what they have "officially" released for india.
Old 2nd December 2010, 05:57   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
i just got Galaxy S (Captivate) and wi-fi is having trouble.

i connected to home network, entered passcode and successfully joins. but on opening the browser, no website is opening. says check your internet. works good on 3G. device is just couple of hours old.

what to do?
Guys, i am still facing wifi problems with other networks. At my home i restarted the phone and problem was solved.

when i tried at a university campus, it gives error and says can't open and try again later. it is like, i get connected to the network, IP and DNS and everything is generated. But when i open browser to open a website, instead of taking me to login page it gives the above error.

here is what i get when i try to open a website.

'web page not available'. the page 'www.google.com' might be temporarily down or it may have been moved permanently to new address.
here are some suggestions:
- check to make sure device has signal and data connection. (I made sure it is connected to wifi)
- reload page later. (i tried after 5 mins, same result)
- view cached copy from google. (doesn't work either)

i am not able to understand why is this happening. any pointers?

Last edited by chevelle : 2nd December 2010 at 06:03.
Old 2nd December 2010, 07:45   #806
BHPian

^^ why don't you just restore to default and see if that helps - you wont lose your contacts, etc as the android OS will simply get them back from the google cloud.
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:22   #807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
^^ why don't you just restore to default and see if that helps - you wont lose your contacts, etc as the android OS will simply get them back from the google cloud.
I went back to factory settings. no luck. i cleared all wi-fi settings and uninstalled all apps and then joined again, still no luck. on android forums they say after joining to wi-fi restart the phone, i did that, still no luck.

Any more ideas?

Last edited by chevelle : 2nd December 2010 at 12:31.
Old 2nd December 2010, 13:04   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I went back to factory settings. no luck. i cleared all wi-fi settings and uninstalled all apps and then joined again, still no luck. on android forums they say after joining to wi-fi restart the phone, i did that, still no luck.

Any more ideas?
How did you went back to factory settings ?
Old 2nd December 2010, 13:04   #809
Senior - BHPian

Updated to Froyo yesterday. Good thing is that unlike previous upgrade it didn't deleted everything and I've all my apps and SMS's intact. Phone feels a bit faster but not much. A few good touches like the pinch zoom of the homescreens, search box on contacts etc.
Issues after Upgrade:
It took quite a lot of time to boot up after the installation. I was worried that the phone is got hang. But waited for around 10+ minutes and the homescreen came up.
The code to open the hidden setup for GPS is no longer working. Any idea what might be wrong? But anyway it's locking on to Satellites so I'm not so worried. And today I'm seeing GPS Sat strength more than 40.
Few of the widgets in the LauncherPro are not showing up and instead showing black colored boxes.
And my problem with Wi-Fi is still there. Guess I need to do a factory reset or something like that :( This problem is getting into my nerves these days and whoever asking me about this phone I'm telling them to avoid this phone.
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:27   #810
Senior - BHPian

Even i updated to froyo on my SGS. The phone took a lot of time to boot and i assumed that its frozen ( the galaxy S logo was displayed on the screen for long ) So i removed the battery and placed it back and then started the phone. Luckily it started. I am not really sure if it has made anything faster, the quadrant benchmark score is 998. I am worried now if i screwed up anything by removing the battery when the phone was rebooting after the firmware upgrade. Is there a way to again flash my phone with the 2.2 for peace of mind ? i dont mind installing the applications again, have the contacts backed up already.

Most Viewed