Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2010, 15:55   #901
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

An update has been released for Legend. It's an update for 2.1 and not FroYo as expected. It seems this update was released last August but pulled of air by HTC for unknown reasons.
Looks like it is a prelude to the impending FroYo update for Legend!

Last edited by vjabraham : 8th December 2010 at 15:56. Reason: grammar
Old 8th December 2010, 16:03   #902
BHPian

Just upgraded my Galaxy S to FROYO and the phone has slowed down like anything. Lags and blank screens are frequent as the issue of the data connection (edge) which needs to be restarted every now and then. Is anyone else facing similar issues?
Old 8th December 2010, 16:12   #903
BHPian

Thanks ruchirtnt & kap04 for the suggestions on how to copy the contacts from Nokia E71 to an android phone.

Another question: In Nokia E71 there is an application GPS Data which inturn has Trip distance option. Is there any similar application in Samsung Galaxy-S by which I can find out the Trip Distance, Trip Time, Average Speed, Odometer, Total Time, etc. This uses the GPS but does not open the maps.

I find this application very useful when I'm travelling, particularly in any auto rickshaw as I can verify the distance travelled with the auto rickshaw meter reading.

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th December 2010, 16:45   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmonkey View Post
Just upgraded my Galaxy S to FROYO and the phone has slowed down like anything. Lags and blank screens are frequent as the issue of the data connection (edge) which needs to be restarted every now and then. Is anyone else facing similar issues?
Re-install your firmware, it is not done properly. Do remember to remove your sim while upgrading.
Old 8th December 2010, 16:53   #905
Senior - BHPian

Samsung Galaxy S review

As a novice Android user, i took the leap of faith and went for Captivate a.k.a Galaxy S.

Here is my first ever review. 'Bhul chuk maaf karna' (Please pardon my mistakes). Its gonna be a long one, so grab some popcorn.

Got Captivate from AT&T as an upgrade phone. Device cost was nil. Will be paying $65/month including data plan for 2 years. I already have iphone 4, so didn't want another iphone, decided to go open source

The phone in hand is big and quite thin compared to x10 or iphone 4. Has gorgeous 4 inch super AMOLED screen. Came preloaded with android 2.1. No idea when we will get official 2.2. Quality is very good. Have used Samsung phones before like Solstice, Mythic. This is much much better. Feels truly premium.

Has a 1GHz hummingbird processor which is quite fast and gets things done in a jiffy. Speaker is at the back so the volume seems less but when I hold in a cup shape the volume of speaker increases.

Call quality is very good, no drops, no network congestion problem. I tried putting iphone 4 and GS at same place at my home wherein i get 2 signal on iphone 4 and 4 signal bar on GS. Both are in case.

I removed all the ATT crap from the phone by rooting. Good riddance. Felt the phone starts much faster and is more responsive because of less running apps. Browser is very good and there are plenty of additional browser in market. I am using Dolphin browser.

If i have to compare screens of iphone 4 and GS, i would say both are very good, when reading text, GS needs a 1x zoom which is not required in iphone 4, apart from that, GS leads all the way in videos especially and screen size. More area to work on.

Started exploring options and i must say even though number of apps in android market is less compared to app store, i found plenty of apps useful in market than app store of iphone 4. And most of them are free which is one big advantage. This is just official android market. Picture in appbrain and its even more mind blowing. The most imp app i came across is remote notifier. Its a blessing in disguise for me as i have a habit of leaving phone anywhere so if someone calls i miss the calls. Not any longer, i see notification in my laptop which is super cool.

The video quality is awesome. What's even better is drag and drop of video. I have dvd rips and 720p videos and it plays without any problems. No conversion, no transferring to a software, just drag and drop on the phone. 16gb memory is good, can add 32 gb memory card making it a whopping 48gb. Song quality is good, though on normal equalizer, bass is lacking. But some minor tweaks and it sounds good. Love the Live wallpaper concept. Its too good a timepass. I also like how the wallpaper moves with the different home screens.

Swype is awesome. Its definitely revolutionary in terms of input. Also like how patterns have to be formed to unlock the fone. Its cool. Love the notification bar at the top.

I love how it comes pre installed with office suite, adobe reader and flash. Makes life so simple

Some negatives:

- the four touch buttons are pain in arse. They don't stay lit long and sometimes doesn't react to my press.

- Battery life is average. Last a day and half with games, wifi-3g, calls. Take too long to charge too.

- And a very unique secured browsing problem wherein i am not able to use wi-fi of my school. Everywhere else the wi-fi works good but not at my school where i get an error about unverified certificate and data connectivity error.

- Its kinda irritating that to unlock the phone, i have to press the power button to get to the unlock screen, no other buttons does anything else.

Overall, its a true iphone 4 competitor and i am loving every minute of it.

Sorry for the long post. It was long over due.

Comments and suggestion are welcome.

Last edited by chevelle : 8th December 2010 at 16:58.
Old 8th December 2010, 17:41   #906
BHPian

hope people have seen this
its the google maps in 3D on nexgen android devices!!
also google maps offline would mean the end of gps devices in most cases!
Old 8th December 2010, 17:55   #907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Re-install your firmware, it is not done properly. Do remember to remove your sim while upgrading.
How to re-install the firmware? Is there a option like that in Kies? I didn't see any.
And why is it needed the SIM to be removed? I also haven't removed the SIM while upgrading:(
Old 8th December 2010, 17:56   #908
BHPian

Re: Time for a new android.

Help me droid gurus!
Now that the Ginger bread is here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Hello All!
I am having HTC P3400i (Old Gene) with me. (Well before the warranty expired, I have already flashed, and flashed the device like crazy!! from WM 6 to 6.1s to 6.5s, customized, OCed, UCed, and pretty much did everything I could do with it!)

Now, I am thinking of getting myself a new phone.
(same dilemma again! do I spend a bomb on just a phone! or do I save and just buy a simple one like I did 3 years ago, when I bought the Gene..)
Still, I was thinking of the 15KINR bracket and Android looks good here!

//
Now, another good thing is, I have got a friend who is incidentally there in US (and now being close to 25th Dec, and as I know there are huge discounts there at this time of the year), should I ask him for a good phone from there?

I have done some brushing up on the models we have in the high end (which anyone would love to have!), which I think could have nice discounts there.
  1. Iphone 4
  2. Samsung I9000 S
  3. Dell streak (Mini 5)
  4. (blank space here)
Can anyone help me here?
on the price, review, recommendation/DE-recommedation from the options here or any killer option to fill the blank space?

Also, especially about bringing it from US to here in India. (My friend will test it there though, no issue there, I will ask him to test as much possible)
//

OR

//
Do I be-happy myself with a sub 15K android phone in country itself (India)?
  1. LG Optimus GT540
  2. HTC Wildfire
  3. Sam Galaxy3
  4. (blank space here)
//

Help appreciated!

Care,

Ace.

P.S. <for those who want to read more, xda-developers is one awesome site, must visit!- I took all the gyaan (and courage to flash) -credits to developers at the site. But, extreme caution advised!>

P.S. Apology(Sorry for the extremely long post!)
Old 8th December 2010, 18:24   #909
BHPian

Is anyone using Vodafone connection on android ? I heard that it is not possible to log in to Google (g mail, g chat etc) on vodafone connection as no gprs settings available. One cannot access the market without this isn't it ? I called vodafone customer care and they also confirmed that gprs setting for android has not yet out. I was thinking of buying Galaxy S tomorrow, but after hearing this im in a dilemma ss i use a vodafone connection and not ready to change the company for this.
Old 8th December 2010, 18:47   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Is anyone using Vodafone connection on android ? I heard that it is not possible to log in to Google (g mail, g chat etc) on vodafone connection as no gprs settings available. One cannot access the market without this isn't it ? I called vodafone customer care and they also confirmed that gprs setting for android has not yet out. I was thinking of buying Galaxy S tomorrow, but after hearing this im in a dilemma ss i use a vodafone connection and not ready to change the company for this.
you cant use normal gprs with your android device..to access the internet, market etc you need to get vodafone mobile connect..with that you can use everything..i believe it starts at 199/month..
Old 8th December 2010, 21:53   #911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
I never saw a Android phone with Dual SIM.

you may need to wait a few years before such a thing is launched.
Wait for few month and write a mail to MAXX mobile. They will hear you soon rather than All Branded company.
Old 8th December 2010, 22:31   #912
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
As a novice Android user, i took the leap of faith and went for Captivate a.k.a Galaxy S.
Finally!
So which do you prefer, the iphone4 or GS? and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmonkey View Post
Just upgraded my Galaxy S to FROYO
Strange.
Did you do an official update via KIES ? or...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
...its the google maps in 3D on nexgen android devices!!
also google maps offline would mean the end of gps devices in most cases!
Not only "nexgen". It will be available on a lot of current devices too! (See the google blog enrry for this, i think they have a list at the bottom).

Quote:
... I called vodafone customer care and they also confirmed that gprs setting for android has not yet out....
What rubbish! Works fine for me. But as Revtech said, you need to get the Mobile Connect plan, not the Vodaphone Live (WAP) plan.

cya
R
Old 8th December 2010, 22:35   #913
Senior - BHPian

How do I sync Outlook notes to my HTC Desire?
I haven't come across any decent app for this. Any suggestions?
Old 8th December 2010, 22:39   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As everyone said, its not Android's fault, but its Vodafone's stupidity.

Their basic GPRS named Vodafone Live allows only basic web browsing. For Gmail, market, etc. you need to subscribe to Vodafone Connect which starts at Rs. 199 per month.

I dont think this is only with Android, is it???

GPRS settings for Android is indeed there, I am using it. PM me if you want the settings.
Old 9th December 2010, 00:55   #915
BHPian

@Ashish - How do I reinstall since Kies does not give me the option? Didn't take the sim out. I was not asked to either.

@Rehaan - Used Kies. FROYO has frozen ze phone quite literally.

Most Viewed