Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2010, 10:31   #916
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

@mysticmonkey - Use samsung PC studio instead of kies. Its an alternative desktop manager from samsung. Also , you dont have to take the sim out. Try hard resetting the phone to see if it helps.
Old 9th December 2010, 10:44   #917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I have a BSNL broadband connection at home with a modem that also has a wireless connection. This shows up in the wi-fi list of my phone. But there is no option to provide the user name and password to connect to it. Is this possible by Android 2.1? How do I do that? My phone is the Samsung Galaxy Spica.

-Biju
If you are securing your wifi using WPA/PSK2 you have only one key to enter.
Once the network appears in the WiFi list just tap on it , If it is secured then a popup window will appear where you can enter the key/ If it is unsecured on tap it will try to get IP from the network directly without any popup.
It is unsecured. The phone tries to get an IP address and then nothing happens. It is not able to get connected and does not bring up the User ID/Password screen.

Has anyone been able to connect to a BSNL broadband wifi from an Android 2.1 OS phone? If so, how did you do it?
Old 9th December 2010, 11:11   #918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Is anyone using Vodafone connection on android ? I heard that it is not possible to log in to Google (g mail, g chat etc) on vodafone connection as no gprs settings available. One cannot access the market without this isn't it ? I called vodafone customer care and they also confirmed that gprs setting for android has not yet out. I was thinking of buying Galaxy S tomorrow, but after hearing this im in a dilemma ss i use a vodafone connection and not ready to change the company for this.
Wife has been using it very easily with Vodaphone, all with basic gprs plan only. Sit beside someone with any android phone and vodaphone & do manual settings. Setting are pretty easy llike 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmonkey View Post
@Ashish - How do I reinstall since Kies does not give me the option? Didn't take the sim out. I was not asked to either.

@Rehaan - Used Kies. FROYO has frozen ze phone quite literally.
Use the hard reset code and reset it with the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
How to re-install the firmware? Is there a option like that in Kies? I didn't see any.
And why is it needed the SIM to be removed? I also haven't removed the SIM while upgrading:(
No option in Kies, but you need to do it via code. Well, as a rule of thumb every installation should be done after removing sim card and memory card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
@mysticmonkey - Use samsung PC studio instead of kies. Its an alternative desktop manager from samsung. Also , you dont have to take the sim out. Try hard resetting the phone to see if it helps.
Correction : Galaxy S cannot be connected with pc via pc studio, hence not bundled.

Last edited by ashthedivx : 9th December 2010 at 11:14. Reason: Merging Posts
Old 9th December 2010, 11:17   #919
Senior - BHPian

How to Upgrade Galaxy S OS to Froyo 2.2 !!

Requirements:

1) Samsung Galaxy S Phone
2) PC Connected with Internet with proper power backup (in case of power failure)
3) Samsung Kies installed (Imp: Either one available in CD or download from www.samsungmobile.com after selecting Samsung Galaxy S)
4) A handful of patience

Process:

Step 1: Connect the Galaxy S to the PC
Step 2: Click on the upgrade option

Step 3: Take the backup of the contacts which are on the phone

Step 4: After taking the backup, this window will pop up, click on ok

Step 5: Click on upgrade, to upgrade the OS to froyo 2.2

Step 6: Click on the check box, and click on NEXT

Step 7: Select Allow saving and click on NEXT

Step 8: It will start downloading the firmware to the PC

Step 9: It will start upgrading the firmware to the phone, do not remove the phone while it is upgrading the OS

Step 10: After the up gradation it will show you this message, once you see the message your phone is upgraded to the latest version (Android Froyo 2.2)

Source : How to Upgrade Galaxy S OS to Froyo 2.2

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Please click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th December 2010 at 16:46. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
Old 9th December 2010, 11:58   #920
BHPian

Is there a way to upgrade Samsung Galaxy S to Froyo 2.2 without using Kies. Using Kies has been a pain from the start.

Do we need to backup all the files like pictures/videos before trying to upgrade to Froyo 2.2.
Old 9th December 2010, 12:19   #921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pats View Post
Is there a way to upgrade Samsung Galaxy S to Froyo 2.2 without using Kies. Using Kies has been a pain from the start.

Do we need to backup all the files like pictures/videos before trying to upgrade to Froyo 2.2.
+1. is there any work around. my captivate is with at&t and they haven't launched 2.2. so will i still get it from kies?
Old 9th December 2010, 12:33   #922
Senior - BHPian

@ ashthedivx - PC connect does work for samsung S. I know people who have used it to update their galaxy s where kies was creating problems. Choose "mass media" mode to connect to the pc.Turn on usb storage and then choose 'mount'. It should work.
Old 9th December 2010, 12:36   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
It is unsecured. The phone tries to get an IP address and then nothing happens. It is not able to get connected and does not bring up the User ID/Password screen.

Has anyone been able to connect to a BSNL broadband wifi from an Android 2.1 OS phone? If so, how did you do it?
I use my Galaxy S with BSNL WIFI, earlier with Android 2.1 and now with 2.2.

Looks like you have set your modem for static IP.

For Galaxy S, go to Settings>Wireless and Network>Wi-Fi settings>then press the settings hard botton at the left bottom of the phone and select Advanced. There it shows the option to provide your static IP address.
Old 9th December 2010, 17:11   #924
BHPian

HTC has started updating Legend to FroYo (2.2) across Europe. Hoping to join the FroYo bandwagon soon!
Old 9th December 2010, 17:26   #925
BHPian

Not Gingerbread (yet! Maybe a week more?) but almost as good:

Swype Beta Invitations have Re-Opened, Check Your Inboxes (Updated) - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Got my invite, after registering 6 months ago! Register now! It's worth it!
Old 9th December 2010, 17:41   #926
BHPian

^^ great thanks - registered!
Old 9th December 2010, 17:43   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post

Swype Beta Invitations have Re-Opened, Check Your Inboxes (Updated) - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Thanks Proton. Registered.
Old 9th December 2010, 18:32   #928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post

Registered yesterday and installed swype today! Loving the experience!

BTW, has anyone found a solution to sync outlook notes to android?
Old 9th December 2010, 20:10   #929
Senior - BHPian

Can any Galaxy S user running on 2.2 Froyo confirm whether the text in the web browser after zooming in, reformats to fit the screen just like the HTC Desire does ?
Old 9th December 2010, 22:45   #930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Can any Galaxy S user running on 2.2 Froyo confirm whether the text in the web browser after zooming in, reformats to fit the screen just like the HTC Desire does ?
In galaxy 3, (running Android 2.1) I am able to use two fingers to zoom in and zoom out, text looks formatted too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks