Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2010, 16:40   #946
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnidumolu View Post
Friends,

My colleague has baught the new android phone from Micromax. Though the price is only 7K, the phone is not a good pick to buy. Stay away from it.

--R/N
Would really help if you could elaborate on why its not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Which is the cheapest / least expensive android phone around at the moment?
The Samsung Galaxy 5 is the next cheapest phone. In fact the price is so close to the Micromax Andro, that IMHO it does not make sense to consider the Micromax at all.

Or you may want to wait for the Huawei Ideos which is now overdue for launch.
Old 10th December 2010, 17:14   #947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Nice review. But about this, in my phone(SGS only) if I press the middle hard key then also it gets the unlock screen. I don't have to press the power button for that.
The captivate has power button right side, volume buttons on left, has four touch buttons - menu, home, back, search at the bottom below screen.

when the phone is lock, only way to unlock is to touch power button. any other buttons doesn't have any affect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
This is configurable isnt it?

Settings --> Sound & Display --> Screen Turn-on --> [Check] Power & Front keys

That way the display comes on when you press the Front keys.
I don't have the option of Screen Turn on. i have following options in sound and display. its a captivate - may be a slightly different version of SGS.
- sound settings: silent mode, ringer - media-system volume, voice call ringtone, vibrate, haptic feedback, notification ringtone, audible touch tones, audible selection, sd card notifications.

- display settings: font style, orientation, animation, screen timeout, brightness, power saving mode and tv out.

didn't find any screen turn on option.

any pointers?
Old 10th December 2010, 17:25   #948
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
The captivate has power button right side, volume buttons on left, has four touch buttons - menu, home, back, search at the bottom below screen.

when the phone is lock, only way to unlock is to touch power button. any other buttons doesn't have any affect.
Given that the 4 buttons are capacitive, i really doubt you'd be able to turn on the screen using them! Otherwise the phone would keep coming on in your pocket.

cya
R
Old 10th December 2010, 17:53   #949
BHPian

Google: Gingerbread hardware needs are similar to Froyo - Android News

The above link puts to rest the myth about minimum requirements for gingerbread!
Old 10th December 2010, 18:46   #950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Given that the 4 buttons are capacitive, i really doubt you'd be able to turn on the screen using them! Otherwise the phone would keep coming on in your pocket.

cya
R
Yes, that's true, i was hoping for volume buttons to help solve the problem. So that would make it three buttons. Use any to unlock. In iphone, sony's phones, when we click volume button, usually time shows, in this case, nothing happens. isn't it weird?
Old 10th December 2010, 18:51   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
I use my Galaxy S with BSNL WIFI, earlier with Android 2.1 and now with 2.2.

Looks like you have set your modem for static IP.

For Galaxy S, go to Settings>Wireless and Network>Wi-Fi settings>then press the settings hard botton at the left bottom of the phone and select Advanced. There it shows the option to provide your static IP address.
Anand, I get a dynamic IP allotted when I connect to BSNL broadband. So I cannot input a static IP address. So I am still stuck. :(
Old 10th December 2010, 20:47   #952
BHPian

Got Ginger Bread OTA on my N1. Anybody else did? Don't see any reports anywhere else on any Android forums yet. So I guess I am one of the first few in the WORLD.

Battery too low for update. Charging the phone now. Will update shortly after installation.
Old 10th December 2010, 22:17   #953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Got Ginger Bread OTA on my N1. Anybody else did? Don't see any reports anywhere else on any Android forums yet. So I guess I am one of the first few in the WORLD.

Battery too low for update. Charging the phone now. Will update shortly after installation.
Already???? Are you sure it is Gingerbread.. Let us know how it runs and the marked differences you see.
I cant believe I am still waiting for froyo on Legend!

EDIT: Wait, I just read somewhere they are rolling out 2.2.1 as a preparatory update before releasing GB. Probably thats what you got!

Last edited by vjabraham : 10th December 2010 at 22:22. Reason: update
Old 10th December 2010, 22:53   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Anand, I get a dynamic IP allotted when I connect to BSNL broadband. So I cannot input a static IP address. So I am still stuck. :(
In that case, the modem may not be supported by OS. My BSNL Huawei modem is not supported without various modifications in ubuntu likewise. Your case may be similar, which is the modem you use?
Old 10th December 2010, 23:14   #955
BANNED

Thanks for the replies. I am not too sure I want a smart phone; I currently use(d) a 5130XM, was happy with it, and primary use is music, calling and browsing (in that specific order, the third one coming way down the preferences. But, as things are going, the gap between 1 and 3 is closing down pretty fast, so want a bigger screen, and a better phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Or you may want to wait for the Huawei Ideos which is now overdue for launch.
I really had not budgeted or a phone right now, but the old one, though still under warranty, had gone bad in a situation where no warraty could be claimed. (Dropped from the terrace :-( ). So, I really can't wait; I want(ed) the next phone to be an android one, and the price drops are very delicious.

Right now, the choice seems to be the Nokia X2 or yet another 5130. Else, settle for an el cheapo 1/2 K paper weight for next 3-4 months and get a propah phone later on.

Edit:- if you mean the Samsung i5503 Galaxy5, though the specs look mouth watering, the prices on univercell.in is 9,200/- incl. taxes.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 10th December 2010 at 23:32.
Old 11th December 2010, 00:02   #956
Senior - BHPian

^^^ The Univercell price is a tad high. You should be able to get it for mebbe 500 less (v approx), depending on where you buy and bargaining skills.

Ideos was supposed to be launched with a price tag of 5.5 k.
Old 11th December 2010, 10:41   #957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Thanks ruchirtnt & kap04 for the suggestions on how to copy the contacts from Nokia E71 to an android phone.

Another question: In Nokia E71 there is an application GPS Data which inturn has Trip distance option. Is there any similar application in Samsung Galaxy-S by which I can find out the Trip Distance, Trip Time, Average Speed, Odometer, Total Time, etc. This uses the GPS but does not open the maps.

I find this application very useful when I'm travelling, particularly in any auto rickshaw as I can verify the distance travelled with the auto rickshaw meter reading.

Thanks in advance.
Is there any such application as GPS data in Nokia phones in Samsung Galaxy S as requested here?
Old 11th December 2010, 13:48   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any such application as GPS data in Nokia phones in Samsung Galaxy S as requested here?
Mytracks. But it opens up google map.
Old 11th December 2010, 15:02   #959
BHPian

Quote:
GPS Status will do the job for you. Search in the market.
Old 12th December 2010, 00:40   #960
Senior - BHPian

I am too tempted by Samsung Galaxy 5, can anyone say exactly what is the difference between the Galaxy 5 and 3. Also how come Galaxy S is so costly in comparison to these two phones.
Also some other options that I am thinking is the LG Optimus (I guess this comes with Andriod too).

I am not much bothered about the quality of camera(my shop keeper says the only diff between Galaxy 3 and 5 is the camera is that true? Frankly I wont mind paying for Galaxy 3, but if camera is the only diff I would rather prefer 5.

Ok let me summarize my question.
1. What is the difference between Galaxy 3, 5 and S, how does this three compare with LG Optimus.
2. If the main usage is browsing, does Galaxy 5 do a good job?

Last edited by xingamazon : 12th December 2010 at 00:42.

Most Viewed