Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2010, 13:20   #1066
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
How did you get Froyo for Galaxy 3 ?
Login - in case you need instructions on how to install, let me know.
Old 21st December 2010, 13:27   #1067
BANNED

patron, you should be posting that on

Unsupported Devices - CyanogenMod Wiki

right?
Old 21st December 2010, 16:29   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
patron, you should be posting that on

Unsupported Devices - CyanogenMod Wiki

right?
That is a CyanogenMod port wiki. Why should this be posted there?
Old 21st December 2010, 17:00   #1069
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
That is a CyanogenMod port wiki. Why should this be posted there?
Ah. So you downloaded and installed the firmware from samfirmware site.

When you said you ported, I thought you did some coding / modifications, and felt that the cyanogen community would be interested.

Thanks for the link; I am considering dumping my X2 which is only few days old for an android phone.
Old 21st December 2010, 17:23   #1070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Thanks for the link; I am considering dumping my X2 which is only few days old for an android phone.
That's the smartest thing I heard today. Wise decision
Old 21st December 2010, 21:30   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Need your suggestion

Bhpians! I bricked my iPhone 3GS yesterday by using a local charger (bought from eBay). Power surge, iPhone heated up, died, and all the kings men and all the kings horses couldn't put it together again. Anyway, gone is gone. RIP iPhone.

Please help me decide on the next phone. Well my requirement is simple - Exchange push mail, Facebook real-time notifications, usual utilities like Alarm, calculator etc, decent games. Well this description screams "iPhone or Android". And since I think I prefer to be able to copy files to & from SD card, find branded decent quality micro/mini-USB chargers that will not fry my phone, I am looking at Android this time.

I am ruling out Galaxy S because I don't like its looks (I know, its very good - but I can't live with its looks, just like Ritz) and also HTC models because I had a very bad experience with two HTC phones previously (a grudge, in a sense ). I also don't want a flip phone or a slide-out keyboard.

Some specific questions:

1. Xperia X10 and Milestone XT720 - of these two which is smoother and otherwise better?

2. How many apps will I be missing if I go for X10 Mini? Are many apps dependent on screen resolution and screen type, or are such apps rare? I really love the X10 Mini's looks and price, but the thought that many apps may not be compatible, is holding me back. Please comment on this.

3. Any idea whether and when Motorola Defy might be launched in India?

4. How easy or difficult is it to upgrade Xperia X10 to Android 2.1? Is it a risk or hassle?

5. Is it possible to do everything like copy photos, music files, personal data etc just using micro SD card, in Android? In that case what's the need for PC Suite software? Is that really needed?

Last edited by rajushank84 : 21st December 2010 at 21:35.
Old 22nd December 2010, 00:16   #1072
BHPian

When someone buys a smartphone, it's almost a given he's not going to use it just for calls.

So go all the way: get a phone that has the latest hardware (rules out Nexus S with its lame single core cpu) and make sure that it doesn't have a fuse that prevents rooting (Motorola):

http://www.droiddog.com/android-blog...ct-rumor-fact/

That leaves:

LG confirms Optimus 2X launch date

And these guys can get you anything:

Google Nexus One < Electronics - Shop in the US from India @ 20North

Last edited by proton : 22nd December 2010 at 00:17. Reason: spelling
Old 22nd December 2010, 09:21   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need your suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Some specific questions:

1. Xperia X10 and Milestone XT720 - of these two which is smoother and otherwise better?
I would suggest X10. Since i am using it, i know it's pros & cons.

Quote:
2. How many apps will I be missing if I go for X10 Mini? Are many apps dependent on screen resolution and screen type, or are such apps rare? I really love the X10 Mini's looks and price, but the thought that many apps may not be compatible, is holding me back. Please comment on this.
both run on Android 2.1, upgradable to 2.2. Still, i would suggest, if you have the budget, go for the X10 & not the mini. The UI of the X10 is much much better & easy to use.

Quote:
4. How easy or difficult is it to upgrade Xperia X10 to Android 2.1? Is it a risk or hassle?
You may get Android 2.1 out of the box now. Even if you dont, its very very easy. I upgraded mine & it takes 15 mins. Just connect your phone, click on 'update software' & its done.

Quote:
5. Is it possible to do everything like copy photos, music files, personal data etc just using micro SD card, in Android? In that case what's the need for PC Suite software? Is that really needed?
In X10, PC Suite is not at all required. You can connect your phone to PC & it acts just like an external hard disk (pen drive) & you can copy-paste files to the phone.

PC suite is helpful when you are transferring files which are not compatible, by default.
Old 22nd December 2010, 09:43   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

X10 anytime... i am using it and it is nice in its 25K+ segment, the x10 can be upgraded easily, i did it myself, in your case the phone will come preinstalled with 2.1 since sony has launched the upgrade for all..
x10 has a bigger screen size and a better camera over mini, but a better price as well...

you can also opt for X8 if you are looking for a budget mobile over X10, since the screen is 3" and is all in all a good handset at around 13k
Old 22nd December 2010, 10:01   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Thanks much, raj_5004 and ruchirtnt.

@raj_5004: Any particular "cons" with the X10?
Old 22nd December 2010, 10:10   #1076
BANNED

I saw on a mailing list some days back that android does not allow classification of numbers into "groups" - like family, friends, office, ex-colleauges, etc.

I cant believe it. Is that true?

Is it possible to edit the address book from the PC and then load it back to the phone? How? Are tools available on a PC running GNU/ Linux?
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:37   #1077
BHPian

Nexus One or Nexus S

I want to jump in to smart phone band wagon. Now thinking either of above.

Which one you suggest? Conditions I have is I have to order before Jan 1st so that my SIL can bring it when she comes from US in 3rd weeks of Jan.

I find Nexus 1 has advantage of less cost but needs to buy sd card, has older Os (as of now, which can be updated). Comes with older processor.

On the other hand Nexus S has latest OS, has built in memory (sufficient for my use). Expensive, has single core better processor, GPU. Has front facing camera for video chat!

Anyone has hands on exp between these two? Which one should I invest.

Thank you.
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:42   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
@raj_5004: Any particular "cons" with the X10?
No Multi touch and no idea when it will be updated to Froyo ( forget about Gingerbread ) .
Old 22nd December 2010, 12:11   #1079
BHPian

Quote:
1. Xperia X10 and Milestone XT720 - of these two which is smoother and otherwise better
Ok, I got a XT720, so I can try to give a view from this side. Overall the phone is good; a little heavy, but got excellent hardware/camera. My advise is not to buy it though, because it is orphaned by Motorola (see https://supportforums.motorola.com/c...?view=overview ) -- when Milestone with inferior hardware is getting Froyo (2.2), XT720, being more capable, won't. There is a chance of Korean version's ROM might work xt720 froyo leaked - xda-developers but not sure. Currently I have r00ted it and overclocked/undervolted it, and phone experience is fast/smooth/good. Someone ported the JIT from froyo, I'll give it a try. Overall I feel cheated by Moto. If you don't care about update and want to hack yourself for the speed boost, you can buy it, else stay away.

Kousik
Old 22nd December 2010, 12:23   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Bhpians! I bricked my iPhone 3GS yesterday by using a local charger (bought from eBay). Power surge, iPhone heated up, died, and all the kings men and all the kings horses couldn't put it together again. Anyway, gone is gone. RIP iPhone.

Please help me decide on the next phone. Well my requirement is simple - Exchange push mail, Facebook real-time notifications, usual utilities like Alarm, calculator etc, decent games. Well this description screams "iPhone or Android". And since I think I prefer to be able to copy files to & from SD card, find branded decent quality micro/mini-USB chargers that will not fry my phone, I am looking at Android this time.

I am ruling out Galaxy S because I don't like its looks (I know, its very good - but I can't live with its looks, just like Ritz) and also HTC models because I had a very bad experience with two HTC phones previously (a grudge, in a sense ). I also don't want a flip phone or a slide-out keyboard.

Some specific questions:

If you want pure android experience, then I suggest you go for the Nexus One or Nexus S if you can get your hands on one. Obviously, there will be no warranty in India.In terms of getting the latest firmware updates, Google phones get it first/fastest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks