Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2010, 12:26   #1081
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
@raj_5004: Any particular "cons" with the X10?
1) No multi touch
2) No radio
3) No automatic flash
4) Feeble loudspeaker
5) No equalizer settings on stock audio player though, being an android, you can easily download a better music player
6) Average call volume

This is all what I can think about. Except the auto flash, the others dont bother me.

If you want the radio, you can buy the bluetooth accessory from sony which comes with radio receiver. i have dowloaded a better music player & initially when compared to Nokias, i did feel that the call volume is less but now i am fine with it. it can be a bother in a noisy environment.
Old 22nd December 2010, 12:48   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need your suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
No Multi touch and no idea when it will be updated to Froyo ( forget about Gingerbread ) .
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Ok, I got a XT720, so I can try to give a view from this side. Overall the phone is good; a little heavy, but got excellent hardware/camera. My advise is not to buy it though, because it is orphaned by Motorola (see https://supportforums.motorola.com/c...?view=overview ) -- when Milestone with inferior hardware is getting Froyo (2.2), XT720, being more capable, won't. There is a chance of Korean version's ROM might work xt720 froyo leaked - xda-developers but not sure. Currently I have r00ted it and overclocked/undervolted it, and phone experience is fast/smooth/good. Someone ported the JIT from froyo, I'll give it a try. Overall I feel cheated by Moto. If you don't care about update and want to hack yourself for the speed boost, you can buy it, else stay away.

Kousik
Thanks, Kousik. Did you feel the phone was sluggish in stock form (because it was running at 500mhz)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjabraham View Post
If you want pure android experience, then I suggest you go for the Nexus One or Nexus S if you can get your hands on one. Obviously, there will be no warranty in India.In terms of getting the latest firmware updates, Google phones get it first/fastest.
Thanks, I just want to avoid Nexus One because two of my friends have it, both complain of bad battery life. Also buying it would be a hassle. If I had options to buy in US then I would have gone for iPhone anyway.
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:02   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I just want to avoid Nexus One because two of my friends have it, both complain of bad battery life. Also buying it would be a hassle. If I had options to buy in US then I would have gone for iPhone anyway.
Poor battery life, this problem is there in almost all large screen high resolution smartphones and i am experiencing the same in X10 as well...
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:06   #1084
BHPian

rajushank84 : see my comments to what Raj has listed down,frankly if you are dissatisfied with any of the stock functionality you can turn to the plethora of apps provided by market

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
1) No multi touch :X10 to get it by 2011 Q1 (atleast the XDA site says so )
2) No radio : agreed :(
3) No automatic flash :Get this app called vignette,it will turn your phonecam to a digicam with host of options
4) Feeble loudspeaker :agreed,but does it matter?
5) No equalizer settings on stock audio player though, being an android, you can easily download a better music player :Get poweramp and play with the equalizer ,add to it good earphones and it will play music at par with the walkman
6) Average call volume :I found it good enough though

This is all what I can think about. Except the auto flash, the others dont bother me.

For me X10 has the best looks amongst the competition,although initially it could feel a bit bulky.
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:22   #1085
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Kousik. Did you feel the phone was sluggish in stock form (because it was running at 500mhz)?
The stock was running at 550, then I got an OTA update from Moto (did that bring the clock speed to 720? I don't know) when I turned it on. It was kind of ok in stock form, I can't say sluggish. Then I saw the Samsung Galaxy S's app screen scrolling (LauncherPro) and heck it beats Moto hands down (no need to run benchmark, it was visible by eye). Then I overclocked to 1Ghz (initially 74vsel, now 56vsel) and the comparison is acceptable now Hopefully with JIT & apps2sd, the phone will be able to compete with people surrounding me (HTC Legend got 2.2, so did Galaxy S, so will Milestone).

Kousik
Old 22nd December 2010, 18:14   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Thanks much, kousik, kratos11 and raj_5004. Fortunately I was able to play around with an X8, an X10, an XT720, a Nexus One and a Galaxy S today (guess my office is full of geeks!). Of these, owners of all these phones recommended Galaxy S hands-down, and spending a few minutes with it I can understand why! The owner had not upgraded to Froyo yet, but already it is much smoother than all the others.

The surprise element is the X8! Somehow ironically it seems that the X8 is the next-smoothest / fastest after the Galaxy S, maybe because of the smaller screen & resolution? (less pixels to repaint?). At a killer price of 13k, it seems attractive. The only thing making me hesitate is the 168MB RAM, whether that would be sufficient. Also the fact that it is QVGA, whether all apps will support it or not..
Old 22nd December 2010, 18:23   #1087
Senior - BHPian

@ kratos11: I heard the X10 does not have multi touch because of hardware limitations.

Agreed on the Poweramp but i got only the trial version. Is the full version available for free?

thanks for the app recommendation!
Old 22nd December 2010, 22:43   #1088
BHPian

^^ btw mixzing has an equalizer built in and its free.
Old 23rd December 2010, 00:11   #1089
BHPian

Just got myself a Galaxy S Captivate the other day. Haven't played much with it but looks nice enough!
Any must have app recommendations?
Old 23rd December 2010, 00:24   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Is anybody using HTC Tattoo here? I am quite bored with the Android 1.6 it has cuz many applications don't work(like Angry Birds!). Any way to upgrade to Froyo?
Old 23rd December 2010, 08:21   #1091
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys I am planning to buy the Samsung Galaxy s. I am tired of waiting for the wave 8530. And during all this waiting somehow I started feeling the need to pamper myself and go for the galaxy s .

I had a small doubt. A brand new galaxy s should come with pre-installed Froyo now right? The Samsung India website still shows the OS as android 2.1. Does that mean that the only way to get Froyo is to update it on our own? Or should I wait a bit longer( probably for the new batch of phones)?
Old 23rd December 2010, 09:01   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey guys I am planning to buy the Samsung Galaxy s. I am tired of waiting for the wave 8530. And during all this waiting somehow I started feeling the need to pamper myself and go for the galaxy s .

I had a small doubt. A brand new galaxy s should come with pre-installed Froyo now right? The Samsung India website still shows the OS as android 2.1. Does that mean that the only way to get Froyo is to update it on our own? Or should I wait a bit longer( probably for the new batch of phones)?
1 thing - Samsung website isn't updated.
2 thing - yes, you can update of your own or get it update at nearest service center.

BTW, New one are already being shipped with FroYo.
Old 23rd December 2010, 09:34   #1093
Senior - BHPian

Android applications (Apps)

Note from Mod: The Team-BHP Apps for Android can be found at this link.

I have searched the forum but did not find a suitable thread where we could actually discuss about Android applications & review it. This thread is exclusively for Android users. Let us jot down the apps we are using & what we feel about it.

For simplicity, it would be a nice idea to present your review in this manner:

App name -

Free/Charge -

What it does -

How it performs (your rating) -

Any alternative -

Last edited by GTO : 11th May 2011 at 17:28. Reason: Adding link to our official App :)
Old 23rd December 2010, 09:52   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications

App name - aCar

Free/Charge - Free

What it does - Nice app to maintain your car's log!

How it performs (your rating) - Can be a bit confusing.

App name - Advanced task killer

Free/Charge - Free

What it does - Kills all running apps. Has got a shortcut key too.

How it performs (your rating) - Very good.

App name - Calender Pad

Free/Charge - Free

What it does - A normal calender but with a nice widget.

How it performs (your rating) - Nothing extraordinary.

App name - Uninstaller

Free/Charge - Free

What it does - Quick way to uninstall apps

How it performs (your rating) - Very very easy to use

App name - AppBrain App Market

Free/Charge - Free

What it does - A better Android Market!

How it performs (your rating) - In some ways, is better than the stock market

App name - Where's My Droid

Free/Charge - Free

What it does - Helps trace your phone if you forgot where you had kept it. Send a msg to your phone from any phone & your phone will start ringing in full

volume, even if its in silent!

How it performs (your rating) - Very very well!

App name - Go!Chat

Free/Charge - Free

What it does - Facebook chat

How it performs (your rating) - Good

App name - Evernote

Free/Charge - Free

What it does - An advanced notepad that can even save snapshots

How it performs (your rating) - Good, needs net connection to activate.

App name - Ringdroid

Free/Charge - Free

What it does - Make your own ringtones

How it performs (your rating) - Good, but the UI could have been simpler

App name - Akinator Lite

Free/Charge - Free

What it does - A fun guessing game

How it performs (your rating) - Its cool & sometimes amusing!

App name - DroidCam

Free/Charge - Free

What it does - Use your phone as a webcam & connect it to your PC/Laptop using Wi-fi

How it performs (your rating) - Very very good.

App name - MixZing

Free/Charge - Free

What it does - A good media player with eq settings

How it performs (your rating) - Could do with a better widget

Any alternative - Looking for one!
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:41   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Check with flipkart, they had it in stock few days back. Samsung Wave 2 Full Specification: Samsung Wave II S8530: Price, Reviews: Flipkart Mobiles

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks