Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2010, 19:33   #1156
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android applications

App Name - Bubble

Free/Charge - Free

What it does - Virtual spirit level (carpenter's level). Works great as an inclinometer when climbing / descending slopes, apart from dozens of other uses. Gives a digital readout too.

How it performs (your rating) - Excellent.
Old 25th December 2010, 20:29   #1157
BANNED

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Chrome OS is going nowhere. Many lead OEMs are pulling out for now.
Motopad - the official launch device for Honeycomb is coming in Q1. Expect others to follow suite in few weeks after that.
Given the recent callback of few of the tegra based devices (toshiba etc.,), am a bit skeptic of tegra based devices. Yes Nvidia is the leader when it comes to graphics cards for PC world, but it takes lot more to translate that success to mobile and embedded world.

Vijay

Last edited by vjoy3 : 25th December 2010 at 20:33.
Old 25th December 2010, 22:12   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Thats what i posted on my post 17 of this thread.

I almost thru all the levels in Angry birds and being Ads off its more fun to play with it now.
you mean apndroid? No that is not what I asked for. Lots of aps download ad, I want to avoid it.
Old 25th December 2010, 22:29   #1159
Senior - BHPian

App Name - Chrome to Phone

Free/Charge - Free

What it does - Need to install an extension on Chrome browser on your PC and an app from market on your phone and then lets you send links, map coordinates, contacts etc from your browser to your phone

How it performs (your rating) - Excellent !

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Does any one know how to block ads?
Adfree Android - search in market, haven't used it though, would prefer to pay for an adfree version or put up with the ads
Old 26th December 2010, 04:11   #1160
BHPian

with Samsung Launching froyo on "Samsung Galaxy 551 I5510"
which is Qwerty version of I5801 (Galaxy3) it looks like their Dev team was busy tweaking their Android 2.2 froyo for this new device and never cared for Galaxy 3 users who have been banging their heads on computer screen to show an update from 2.1 to 2.2

Using a cracked version or whatever it is available on those non-samsung site can be a security risk.

Does anyone has newer news if the poor Galaxy 3 users will ever get Android 2.2 ?
Old 26th December 2010, 10:36   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Hmmmmm, have heard alot about it, but if I would consider something other than the X10, it would be only because it is technically much better than it. So is it?
Here is a list of the full specifications:

– 1 GHz SnapDragon processor
– Android 2.2 (Froyo) with HTC Sense
– Internal phone storage: 1.5 GB
– RAM: 768 MB
– 123 x 68 x 11.8 mm (4.84 x 2.68 x 0.46 inches)
– 164 grams (5.78 ounces) with battery
– 4.3-inch SLCD touch screen with 480 x 800 resolution
– HSPA/WCDMA: • Europe/Asia: 900/2100 MHz • Upload speed of up to 5.76 Mbps and download speed of up to 14.4 Mbps
– Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
– Internal GPS antenna
– G-Sensor
– Digital compass
– Proximity sensor
– Ambient light sensor
– Bluetoothฎ 2.1 with FTP/OPP for file transfer, A2DP for wireless stereo headsets, and PBAP for phonebook access from the car kit
– IEEE 802.11b/g/n WiFi
– 3.5 mm stereo audio jack
– Standard micro-USB (5-pin micro-USB 2.0)
– 8.0 megapixel color camera with auto focus and 2x LED flashlight
– 720p HD video recording
– Audio supported formats – Playback: .aac, .amr, .ogg, .m4a, .mid, .mp3, .wav, .wma (Windows Media Audio 9) • Recording: .amr
– Video supported formats – Playback: .3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .wmv (Windows Media Video 9), .avi (MP4 ASP and MP3), .xvid (MP4 ASP and MP3) • Recording: .3gp
– 1230 mAh battery
– Talk time: Up to 320 minutes for WCDMA, Up to 550 minutes for GSM
– Standby time: Up to 490 hours for WCDMA, Up to 420 hours for GSM
– microSD expansion (SD 2.0 compatible)
– 100 ~ 240 V AC, 50/60 Hz DC output: 5 V and 1 A AC adaptor
– Dolbyฎ Mobile and SRS surround sound
– Share pictures, video or music to your big screen TV or PC display via DLNAฎ (Digital Living Network Alliance)
Old 26th December 2010, 11:30   #1162
BHPian

^^ i can attest to the HTC desire HD being a good phone - I have 2 in the house :-)
Old 26th December 2010, 11:33   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Here is a list of the full specifications:

– 1 GHz SnapDragon processor
– Android 2.2 (Froyo) with HTC Sense
– Internal phone storage: 1.5 GB
– RAM: 768 MB
– 123 x 68 x 11.8 mm (4.84 x 2.68 x 0.46 inches)
– 164 grams (5.78 ounces) with battery
– 4.3-inch SLCD touch screen with 480 x 800 resolution
This is about the Desire HD..
Couple of things are holding me back from this device right now.
  1. S-LCD ! No clear review about the same, some say its not near the Su-AMOLED experience.
  2. Battery life is pathetic I hear!! (Less than 24 hrs !! with decent use >>Source: review on flipkart, another on some gadget site)
  3. With Honeycomb in "coming soon" phase, that might kick some bucks out of the current set of phones (Desire HD included), when it arrives in say Feb-March..

@Jassi!
nice!!
Can you please shed some light on point #1 and #2 ?
care,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 26th December 2010 at 11:37.
Old 26th December 2010, 11:33   #1164
BANNED

Quote:
Using a cracked version or whatever it is available on those non-samsung site can be a security risk.

I would not call it a "caracked" version. "Custom" would be the better word.

And I would not be concerned about security issues, as long as source code is available. The GPL requires people distributing GPL'ed code or its bits and derivatives to provide full sources of their modified versions.

I am not sure what you mean by the "non-samsung" sites; and when there is no access to full source code, there is no assurance that the official Samsung (or any other brands', for that matter) version of Android accesses my data without my permission.
Old 26th December 2010, 11:47   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
This is about the Desire HD..
Couple of things are holding me back from this device right now.
  1. S-LCD ! No clear review about the same, some say its not near the Su-AMOLED experience.
  2. Battery life is pathetic I hear!! (Less than 24 hrs !! with decent use >>Source: review on flipkart, another on some gadget site)
  3. With Honeycomb in "coming soon" phase, that might kick some bucks out of the current set of phones (Desire HD included), when it arrives in say Feb-March..
@Jassi!
nice!!
Can you please shed some light on point #1 and #2 ?
care,

Ace.
The LCD is not as vivid as the amoled on my nexus one - but given its size, its quite gorgeous in its own right. And yeah visibility in daylight is better on the desire hd vs nexus
Battery lasts for a day easy (always on wifi or 3g and skype calling included with bluetooth on). Besides most of these phones are chargeable using usb and so its difficult to end up without any charge at the end of the day.
Honeycomb is a bit far away and primarily targeted at the tablet experience - from what i hear it will require more gpu which is only in the hummingbird processors not snapdragon.

If i played the waiting game, I would wait for something with dualcore (which is not on any phone today including nexus S). But for whats out there today, I'd say desire HD or galaxy S are your choices - HTC vs samsung. Personally I'd pick HTC as there are better chances of you getting an android update in time from HTC than samsung and the community at xda is also more pro-active with htc.
Keep in mind though - nexus S is pretty similar to galaxy S, so people at xda can easily port nexus s updates to galaxy s (dont bet on samsung though for speedy updates)
Old 26th December 2010, 16:45   #1166
Distinguished - BHPian

App name - Photaf 3D Panorama
Free/Charge - Free
What it does - Shoots panoramas, even 360* views.
How it performs (your rating) - Very good. Wish it could save the panoramas in higher resolution (considering the Xperia X10i has a 8MP camera, the final output is nothing to write home about).

A sample photo

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-temp13969photafpanoramapichd.jpg
Old 26th December 2010, 16:59   #1167
BHPian

All this talk about the HTC is making me love it, but its not a brand recognized much in India, the only problem I think I can face is, if I have a problem, where should I go? Are there service centers and are the people working there skilled?
Old 26th December 2010, 17:06   #1168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I would not call it a "caracked" version. "Custom" would be the better word.

And I would not be concerned about security issues, as long as source code is available. The GPL requires people distributing GPL'ed code or its bits and derivatives to provide full sources of their modified versions.

I am not sure what you mean by the "non-samsung" sites; and when there is no access to full source code, there is no assurance that the official Samsung (or any other brands', for that matter) version of Android accesses my data without my permission.
Thanks for correcting me, I apologize for confusing custom version.
however the point remains the same, why Samsung is making few lakh people run the olders android version ?

In fact i am also out of phone memory and would like to install Apps on SD which comes as a standard feature on 2.2
Old 26th December 2010, 17:15   #1169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
All this talk about the HTC is making me love it, but its not a brand recognized much in India, the only problem I think I can face is, if I have a problem, where should I go? Are there service centers and are the people working there skilled?
i have been using htc since 2003 - yes they were in india then - the phone i had was an O2 XDA IIs - anyone remember those? big screen running windows HTC was always making phones for any and every provider - just that they decided to make themselves a direct brand much later. I have never had to goto HTC support, but have walked into a Nokia support center once and was allowed past a line of 50 ppl (lucky i was an employee) - it can't get worst than a standing in a line of 50 ppl! I think phone support is pretty good with HTC and on the rare occassion where an HTC phone really did get screwed up (for a friend) they replaced it without too many hiccups.

Quote:
Thanks for correcting me, I apologize for confusing custom version.
however the point remains the same, why Samsung is making few lakh people run the olders android version ?

In fact i am also out of phone memory and would like to install Apps on SD which comes as a standard feature on 2.2
this is exactly why i would recommend getting an HTC (or direct google) over samsung (or sony, etc) - if you are not comfy with custom ROMs you're gonna be left with stock old android for a long long time. Just install a custom rom
Old 26th December 2010, 17:44   #1170
BHPian

How about the camera and sound quality?
Also does it have multi-touch?

Most Viewed