Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2010, 15:19   #1186
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Guys, I need a small assistance. I have Galaxy S and I have upgraded to Froyo through Kies, but now I am facing issues with Swype and Mail. Sometimes it becomes impossible to swype because it does not pick up words properly, Also the Mail hangs all the time and I have to Kill all Tasks to start it again. Has anyone else faced similar problems?
I read somewhere that by doing a Hard-Reset these problems go away. What is the process of a Hard Reset? Will I loose all the data on the phone?
Appreciate any assistance.
Old 27th December 2010, 15:44   #1187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
maybe the sd card is corrupted or something - just goto settings->storage and format the card from the phone itself and then copy the songs back into it. Hopefully that should work.
Edit - not sure what kies is, something samsung specific i guess. Ideally (from nexus one experience), when connected to usb, the phone should prompt 'usb connected act as data store' or something similar
I do not think its an sd card or file error issue as i can still play those songs on the music player in my phone.
Old 27th December 2010, 17:48   #1188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the android 2.3 does offer support for 2 cameras and video calling - but i have not seen any app in the store yet that allows for video calling 3g or wifi is much needed to make video calls and even with 3g i haven't seen video calling pick up in other countries (aussie and US specifically) - face it not many ppl wanna be seen all the time, especially when the boss calls it would be rude to reject the boss' video call!
Wait till the video on messengers become popular on mobile , As of now only QIK is supported but the moment Yahoo , Skype and google Video ( IP based) becomes popular it will be a boom.

Operators don't want this and are resisting for many years by twisting arms of handset manufacturers by blocking any attempt to have IP based Video on mobiles and that is the reason Apple introduced Facetime bypassing operator on WiFi they could not simply bully the Apple way they bully others.

people don't want boss to be on video but needless to say what for they use Chatroulette or Yahoo Chat video , With 2.3 the groundwork for such services is done.

As usual Android is not pioneer in this Maemo ported telepathy first then Apple caught up with face-time but I am sure once it comes on Android people will say how useful it is :-)
Old 27th December 2010, 17:58   #1189
BHPian

^^ agreed once video calling catches up, it will become popular - but i am not sure it will become defacto and replace voice calling. There is always a line of privacy that can be drawn with voice calling, but with video calling it becomes difficult :-) just my opinion though and with the new generation it might just be opposite!
Old 27th December 2010, 19:01   #1190
KRN
BHPian

Wildfire Froyo Update!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
All this talk about the HTC is making me love it, but its not a brand recognized much in India, the only problem I think I can face is, if I have a problem, where should I go? Are there service centers and are the people working there skilled?
Folks,

HTC rolled out the froyo (Android 2.2) update for wildfire last week in Europe and it was expected to come to rest of the world before February.

But guess what, looks like HTC has already released the froyo update for India and my phone is downloading the OTA (over the air update) as I type this!

Way to go HTC!

KRN
Old 27th December 2010, 20:22   #1191
Senior - BHPian

Well I would just like to share my past experience with HTC. I was using HTC P4350 (also known as Herald), and the touchscreen was not working. I had dropped the phone a few days before it stopped working, but I'm not sure if that's what caused it. Because the phone did work fine for several days after I dropped it.

Anyway, looked up the service centre from the website and went to the nearest. It turns out, their "service network" is just a tie-up with very local shops. The first employee I spoke to did not recognize the name HTC! He actually told me, "Sir we deal with only branded phones" and tried to ignore me after that. Then I had to become belligerent, and another guy came, asked what the problem was. I explained, and without looking at the phone he mentioned that the whole touchscreen assembly would have to be replaced. I asked him to first take a look at the phone and see what the problem was, which he refused.

He also mentioned that the whole touchscreen assembly could cost Rs.5000 "or more"! He could not give a date when it would be available - it may be one week, or one month or more - and they could take any action only if I unconditionally left the phone with them. This service centre is called ICONET in Adyar.

By the way my friend who was using HTC Touch had similar issues with his phone's microphone (just stopped working - and he never dropped the phone) and he got similar response from ICONET: "Leave the phone with us, no idea when it can be fixed, no idea how much it will cost!".

I did follow up with HTC customer care, but this led nowhere. They informed me that they're going to follow up with the service centre, and I got an email saying "thank you for contacting" etc etc (reading the email I got the impression that they've closed the ticket)!

I'm not sure if its a problem with ICONET or HTC or both. But this is just my experience. Also worth noting that all this happened 2 years back, so maybe (hopefully) something has changed between then and now. But I want bhpians to consider the service network before going for a new phone.
Old 27th December 2010, 21:14   #1192
BHPian

Re: Android applications

App Name - Swiftkey Trial
Free/Charge -
Chargeable (but mine is working fine beyond trial period)
What it does - Alternative to the native key pad and swype. Word predictions are awesome. It leans the your usual words and sentence and suggests accordingly.
How it performs (rating) - Excellent

App Name - Gesture Search
Free/Charge - Free
What it does - Help to Quickly find contacts to make calls. It suggests your frequents calling contacts too. This app is by Google inc.
How it performs (rating) - Very Good.

App Name - CNET News
Free/Charge - Free
What it does - It's a technology news app.
How it performs (rating) - Good

App Name -
Android System InfoFree/Charge - Free
What it does - It gives info about the RAM and CPU utilization. I being a non computer professional have learned a lot about how android works. And that has helped me to speed up my phone (galaxy s) and extend battery life.

App Name - Mobile Number Tracker
Free/Charge - Free
What it does - Informs from which service provider and from which circle the incoming call is from. It's an India specific app
How it performs (rating) - Very Good

App Name - EarthRot
Free/Charge - Free
What it does - Live wallpaper
How it performs (rating) - Excellent. The best live wallpaper i have ever seen.

App Name -
BatteryTime Lite
Free/Charge - Free
What it does - Shows the available battery charge left.
How it performs (rating) - Very Good. Does it's job.

App Name - NDTVFree/Charge - Free
What it does - Indian News App
How it performs (rating) - Very Good. It's fast too.

Last edited by Harshavarthan : 27th December 2010 at 21:16.
Old 27th December 2010, 22:03   #1193
BHPian

@rajushank84

I have a perspective on HTC too!
I bought the HTC P3400i (WM 6.1 supposed to be .. but somehow, it came with WM 6 )
I bought it when my work involved daily sweat/dirt/rain/more dirt! minimum 9 hrs each day..
The phone was used in those condition (even the touch screen!)
It took all that, and a couple of falls from low height (without any blood drawn!).

Touch screen is good, no problems till date !! (Touch wood!! or touch screen !!! lol )
I use nails, pen, pencil, (stylus- rarely)!!
Its served well for almost 2 years now!! running strong!

About, the service centre, good for me, not a single visit was ever required!

Its been pretty rugged phone till date.

Plus, when I take it out and take a call with S2U2 (iphone style) I get nice looks from around!!

care,

Ace.

P.S. Now, people have stopped asking whether its a Chinese phone, and they have started asking, "HTC??" , "what it costs? 18K!!?"
Old 27th December 2010, 22:56   #1194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ agreed once video calling catches up, it will become popular - but i am not sure it will become defacto and replace voice calling. There is always a line of privacy that can be drawn with voice calling, but with video calling it becomes difficult :-) just my opinion though and with the new generation it might just be opposite!
I agree video telephony did not take off and will never take off probably,because there is no anonymity , your number is seen but live video on messenger has different use cases.
Prototypes were ready for years but never got commercialized due to operators fear of VOIP and Video over IP but apple was successful in breaking the market open.
Old 28th December 2010, 08:56   #1195
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
App Name - Swiftkey Trial
Free/Charge -
Chargeable (but mine is working fine beyond trial period)
What it does - Alternative to the native key pad and swype. Word predictions are awesome. It leans the your usual words and sentence and suggests accordingly.
How it performs (rating) - Excellent

App Name - Gesture Search
Free/Charge - Free
What it does - Help to Quickly find contacts to make calls. It suggests your frequents calling contacts too. This app is by Google inc.
How it performs (rating) - Very Good.

App Name - CNET News
Free/Charge - Free
What it does - It's a technology news app.

App Name -
Android System Info
Free/Charge -
Free
What it does - It gives info about the RAM and CPU utilization. I being a non computer professional have learned a lot about how android works. And that has helped me to speed up my phone (galaxy s) and extend battery life.

App Name - Mobile Number Tracker
Free/Charge - Free
What it does - Informs from which service provider and from which circle the incoming call is from. It's an India specific app
How it performs (rating) - Very Good

App Name - EarthRot
Free/Charge - Free
What it does - Live wallpaper
How it performs (rating) - Excellent. The best live wallpaper i have ever seen.

App Name -
BatteryTime Lite
Free/Charge - Free
What it does - Shows the available battery charge left.
How it performs (rating) - Very Good. Does it's job.

App Name - NDTVFree/Charge - Free
What it does - Indian News App
How it performs (rating) - Very Good. It's fast too.
now these are some really cool apps, i would like to try them out. thanks buddy.
Old 28th December 2010, 09:29   #1196
Senior - BHPian

hold your nerves, dell has introduced a new 4.1" android handset named as dell VENUE, have a look at this link, may be it will change minds,

Venue Details | Dell India
Old 28th December 2010, 10:03   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
hold your nerves, dell has introduced a new 4.1" android handset named as dell VENUE, have a look at this link, may be it will change minds,

Venue Details | Dell India
unless its really cheap, i don't see anything pathbreaking about it. No android 2.3, no front facing camera, no noice cancelling mic, pretty much the same specs as an htc desire HD. I am pretty sure the htc phones will get updates either from htc or community, not so sure how fast dell is doing updates and haven't seen much on custom roms for dell.
It does look good - reminds me of xperia x10 black
Old 28th December 2010, 10:14   #1198
BHPian

@NFS2024, I guess the USB connection has got set to KIES automatically. Goto Settings>Wireless and network>USB settings>Ask on connection. Through this, when once you connect your phone to car you may select Media player and play the songs.
Old 28th December 2010, 10:46   #1199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Anyway, looked up the service centre from the website and went to the nearest. It turns out, their "service network" is just a tie-up with very local shops. The first employee I spoke to did not recognize the name HTC! He actually told me, "Sir we deal with only branded phones" and tried to ignore me after that. Then I had to become belligerent, and another guy came, asked what the problem was. I explained, and without looking at the phone he mentioned that the whole touchscreen assembly would have to be replaced. I asked him to first take a look at the phone and see what the problem was, which he refused.
you can try HTC Service Centre at parsn complex adjacent to Hotel The Park,Nungambakkam.
I tried there and it's a company owned center and Service people are really experienced.
Old 28th December 2010, 10:54   #1200
BHPian

i think a lot has changed now - htc has transitioned from a backend OEM manufacturer to a global organisation with marketing, direct sales and ofcourse support. I am sure things are much better than they used to be 2-5 years back. i am all ears if someone has had a recent bad experience with HTC support.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks