Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2011, 12:34   #1471
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
The current HTC Desire phones are coming directly with Android 2.2 out of the box.
Does that even include HTC Desire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
For me it was easy to decide on Desire @22.6K. Order placed on Monday and waiting for the delivery..
Slightly less bulky, S-LCD and 1GHz processor.
Same here, not much difference in the processors between Desire and Desire HD. And the price difference is substantial. I am also swaying the Desire way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Finally got my hands on Nexus S. Its awesome! May be i am not the guys who can ideally compare which touch phone, smart phone is better as I never used one in my life earlier.

No FM radio! I don't need one as rarely listen.

Adding you own ringtone is way too complicated for my liking. there isn't a dedicated folder i can copy so called ringtones. You need to go to each tunes in music player and select as ringtone. I am used to setting individual tone for group/individual contacts! More to explore later!
Congratulations! How much did it cost you and where'd you source it from?
And why no FM radion, darn!
Old 20th January 2011, 12:42   #1472
Senior - BHPian

Isnt FM radio available as an aftermarket app for Android??
Old 20th January 2011, 13:13   #1473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Congratulations! How much did it cost you and where'd you source it from?
And why no FM radion, darn!
$575. Got it from NY, my SIL was coming hence it made sense to get it.
I think Samsung galaxy S had FM. So they wanted another mobile in similar spec should look different. It could also mean that they have to fit one more radio receiver. Means more power drain. Since in US most Fm stations available in web, you can always listen via given app. Not so lucky for us in India!

Are any of the station also can be listen in web?

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Is these apps for Web FM stations? As far as I know, Nexus S doesn't have built in hardware. So no idea how app can work without it! Any way it isn't a issue as I am not too into FMs.
Old 20th January 2011, 14:12   #1474
BHPian

Guy, Dell has also launched a new Andriod based mobile. With an international price range of 500USD.
The positives i find are,

1) AMOLED capacitive, multitouch display.
2) 8 MP camera.
3) Dell Stage software — Organize your music, photos.

Attached Photos and other details for your reference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dell Venue_Andriod 2.2.pdf (705.0 KB, 452 views)
Old 20th January 2011, 14:20   #1475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
well its rumored to come in at 24-25k. At that price it really looks like a very VFM product .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
On NDTV Shopping, the price mentioned is 24K. A few days back, the status was 'In Stock', but now the status is 'Coming Soon'.

Samsung Nexus S Price India, Samsung Nexus S Review & Features, Buy Samsung Mobiles - NDTV Shopping
24K is a good price.. In GSMArena, the prices of Desire and Nexus S are having a big difference of 280 Euros. (17K INR!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
For FM, there should be the hardware support first. If the handsets are made with FM radio, then they will supply the radio app too. Doesn't make much sense to have such an after market app.

Last edited by clevermax : 20th January 2011 at 14:25.
Old 20th January 2011, 15:45   #1476
Senior - BHPian

Well, I asked because I have a phone which runs an after market app to play FM, not web based but normal FM. In my N900 there is no native FM application, but the hardware exists, thus requiring an app. Thought something similar may be the case.
Old 20th January 2011, 17:36   #1477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
settings>wireless&networks>wi-fi settings>"press menu key">advanced>check on use static IP and use the values that your ISP provided.
Akshay, While it works on home networks, it doesn't work on public places like airports, hotel, universities. Its not possible to go to each place and keep asking for static IP information

Any suggestions?
Old 20th January 2011, 18:03   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Akshay, While it works on home networks, it doesn't work on public places like airports, hotel, universities. Its not possible to go to each place and keep asking for static IP information

Any suggestions?
My home network always requires static ip provided my the service provider, I'm able to connect to the internet in public places without the static IP, I suppose it depends on the router/service provider.
Old 20th January 2011, 18:31   #1479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My home network always requires static ip provided my the service provider,
Static IP outside the firewall you mean? Internally it is the wifi router which keeps assigning IP addresses from DHCP, right?

Or you mean to say devices connected in your home network must have a static IP? In that case, I am interested to know how the network is configured and what to to in a PC or device in order to get connected.
Old 20th January 2011, 18:34   #1480
Team-BHP Support

Ok, finally number portability is here, and I can get rid of my almost dying CDMA Nokia 6265.
I am planning to get a 20K(approx Android phone).
I need
1. GPS (Inbuilt GPS antenna and chip so that I can navigate without data connection)
2. WIFI
3. Accelerometer would be nice
4. Android 2.2 or easily upgradable to 2.2
5. Video recording atleast 640x480 30fps
6. Not Evil
HTC Desire, and HTC Wildfire both have these features, however wildfire is having 528MHz processor vs 1GHZ of desire.

Desire HD, I understand gives me HD video recording, which to be frank is not a big deal for me

What other phones do you suggest. Remember, it should not be evil. By evil I mean that many companies are trying to put in things to prevent rooting of the device and such. HTC and Samsung currently do not do that. Motorola does, and Sony may also do it(I am not sure)

So what do you suggest.
Will be buying within couple of weeks.
Old 20th January 2011, 18:49   #1481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Ok, finally number portability is here, and I can get rid of my almost dying CDMA Nokia 6265.
I need
1. GPS (Inbuilt GPS antenna and chip so that I can navigate without data connection)
2. WIFI
6. Not Evil
HTC Desire, and HTC Wildfire both have these features, however wildfire is having 528MHz processor vs 1GHZ of desire.

Desire HD, I understand gives me HD video recording, which to be frank is not a big deal for me

What other phones do you suggest. Remember, it should not be evil. By evil I mean that many companies are trying to put in things to prevent rooting of the device and such. HTC and Samsung currently do not do that. Motorola does, and Sony may also do it(I am not sure)

So what do you suggest.
tsk, My impulsive answer would be Desire, because the requirements you laid out were mine too. I was also not very keen on HD video from a mobile. In fact I already bought a Desire. But I would ask you to check out Nexus S as suggested by someone couple of pages back, that will be in the price range of 24-25K.

You will get desire at around 22K+.

Me thinks Desire can be upgraded to 2.3 as well. It comes with 2.2 now.

EDIT: Can you switch from CDMA to GSM using MNP?

Last edited by clevermax : 20th January 2011 at 18:56.
Old 20th January 2011, 19:21   #1482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My home network always requires static ip provided my the service provider, I'm able to connect to the internet in public places without the static IP, I suppose it depends on the router/service provider.
My home network doesn't require static ip. nor does my friends. I tested it at more than 4 home networks of my friends. It works without any issues.

The only problem i get is at public places that requires secured browsing. Like if i go to a hotel, in order to connect to wireless i have to enter room number and name, once that is done, the browser gives up error saying, ;data connectivity problem, try again later'. doesn't happen with home network, same thing happened with mumbai's airport.
Old 20th January 2011, 20:13   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Me thinks Desire can be upgraded to 2.3 as well. It comes with 2.2 now.
I guess there is cyanogen rom available for desire. That makes desire best phone at 20k range.
Old 20th January 2011, 20:33   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I need
2. WIFI
6. Not Evil

So what do you suggest.
On #4, do make sure the device has a 1GHz processor, or else running 2.2 or higher becomes a problem. If you are looking for web surfing while on the move and would like to have flash support, then also the CPU becomes crucial.
Old 20th January 2011, 21:21   #1485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
My home network doesn't require static ip. nor does my friends. I tested it at more than 4 home networks of my friends. It works without any issues.

The only problem i get is at public places that requires secured browsing. Like if i go to a hotel, in order to connect to wireless i have to enter room number and name, once that is done, the browser gives up error saying, ;data connectivity problem, try again later'. doesn't happen with home network, same thing happened with mumbai's airport.
Means your home Wi-Fi is not secure? If you are living in an apartment or if you have close neighbors it is not a good idea! If you don't like to make it secure, you could add a mac address filtering so that only those devices known to you can connect.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks