Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2011, 08:05   #1591
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Thanks fordmanchau. I have the same app... I have to explore more options in it then!
@Raccoon: opera mini can't render the full pages as you see in desktop browsers... it is meant for normal phones right.
Old 28th January 2011, 10:45   #1592
Senior - BHPian

Alright guys, I have now joined the Android bandwagon Please suggest some nice apps
Old 28th January 2011, 10:49   #1593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Thanks fordmanchau. I have the same app... I have to explore more options in it then!
@Raccoon: opera mini can't render the full pages as you see in desktop browsers... it is meant for normal phones right.
Opera mini is for normal phones

Opera mobile 10.1 is for android,and its MUCH better than the stock browser
Old 28th January 2011, 12:32   #1594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Alright guys, I have now joined the Android bandwagon Please suggest some nice apps
I am not sure you might like these, still following apps I have it on my Nexus S.
  • AccuWeather Quick - Widget for getting weather information. This is far accurate than one supplied from National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report
  • Animated Widget - Cool app, that adds your contact as Widget on to screen, provides easy option to Call, SMS all numbers attached to Contact. You can also chose which number only you want see as widget! Cool! A double table on widget will dial the number!
  • Aquarium Free - Cool Live wallpaper as nice Aquarium! Fishes run if you tap them!
  • ConvertPad -Unit Convert - As name states helps in converting from one Unit to another!
  • PowerAMP - stock music player doesn't has equalizer! Gerrrrrrrrr!!!! PowerAMP has all nice controls.
  • RealCalc - Stock Calculator is crap! This is real scientific calculator! Easy to use.
  • Retro Clock. Stock Clock widget isn't nice, It uses entire desktop! So I downloaded this to give traditional calendar like clock!
  • Super Compass: Compass with Level indicator
  • SilentMode OnOFF: Widget to switch between Ringing/Vibration only/Silent Mode.
All these are free Aps though!
Old 28th January 2011, 13:19   #1595
BHPian

Quote:
You'll find some here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...lications.html
Old 28th January 2011, 13:21   #1596
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Some here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...hlight=android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post

Both Mini and Mobile are available on Android.

The difference is :
Mini - Uses SERVER SIDE compression for images (and others page elements?) to provide much faster speeds. Much faster results when used on a GPRS connection. Not 100% full-functional browser due to the way it processes/represents pages -- this is also why it was allowed in the Apple app store.
Mobile - A full fledged mobile browser, functions like most other mobile browsers.

cya
R
Old 28th January 2011, 13:53   #1597
Senior - BHPian

The best browser I've seen on Android so far is "Dolphin HD". Much faster than Opera Mini or Skyfire.
Old 28th January 2011, 14:40   #1598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Guess you didn't read my previous post where I told OPera mobile is giving me issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
The best browser I've seen on Android so far is "Dolphin HD". Much faster than Opera Mini or Skyfire.
Yes, I started using this browser. this is the best I saw so far.

BTW, my desire's battery barely lasts some 20 hours per charge. That too while keeping Edge, GPS, Wi-Fi & Buetooth off when I am not using them. I have advanced task killer installed that kills hogging apps on an interval and I am keeping the brightness on a lower setting. Wish it had more battery life.

Last edited by clevermax : 28th January 2011 at 14:43.
Old 28th January 2011, 15:09   #1599
BHPian

Same is the case with my HTC Wildfire. Hardly i get around 3hrs of talktime. It was pretty much worse in the beginning. Now the battery life is good. But for 14k, it is very good android with the specs of HTC Desire.IMHO
Old 28th January 2011, 15:44   #1600
Distinguished - BHPian

Wildfire is quite a good bet I hear, only sour point could be the lower res screen as compared to Desire?
Also, not to forget the sub-1ghz processor, but for the price it still seems vfm!

Interesting, it just hit me, is there any android sub 20k with a 1ghz processor and a decent internal memory?
Old 28th January 2011, 15:47   #1601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
BTW, my desire's battery barely lasts some 20 hours per charge. That too while keeping Edge, GPS, Wi-Fi & Buetooth off when I am not using them. I have advanced task killer installed that kills hogging apps on an interval and I am keeping the brightness on a lower setting. Wish it had more battery life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
Same is the case with my HTC Wildfire. Hardly i get around 3hrs of talktime. It was pretty much worse in the beginning. Now the battery life is good. But for 14k, it is very good android with the specs of HTC Desire.IMHO
Surprising, because I easily get around 30-36 hrs of battery life with some calls, wifi and GPS application. I also play videos on phone and sometimes play game.
But mostly calls , gtalk and facebook over wifi.I know I can squeeze a bit more from my
Wildfire's battery.

EDIT : DRYICE : resolution of Wildfire's screen may be lower than competition but to our eyes it won't make much difference, except for may be when you open the browser and see the fonts on the screen, but that is also very much readable. IMO Wildfire scores over Optimus One, but heard that Motorola quench XT502 is even better.
Why don't you look at Motorola Milestone at around 21K ?

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 28th January 2011 at 15:54.
Old 28th January 2011, 16:09   #1602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
EDIT : DRYICE : resolution of Wildfire's screen may be lower than competition but to our eyes it won't make much difference, except for may be when you open the browser and see the fonts on the screen, but that is also very much readable. IMO Wildfire scores over Optimus One, but heard that Motorola quench XT502 is even better.
Why don't you look at Motorola Milestone at around 21K ?
I currently use a 5800, so if the screen resolution is kinda similar, will skip it. Have got to check this in person. No amount of reading on net can help here I guess.

And, am sold on the HTC models and ain't looking any further!!
Somehow, Moto doesn't look all that promising when pitted against HTC and the kind of support you have outside the manufacturer's camp.

Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping the Desire to fall some more and get 2.3!!
Old 28th January 2011, 16:10   #1603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Interesting, it just hit me, is there any android sub 20k with a 1ghz processor and a decent internal memory?
There is a non-android phone with amazing hardware spec. Samsung Wave II.

Samsung Wave 8530: Buy Samsung Wave II S8530: Price, Reviews: Flipkart Mobiles (Ebony Gray)
Old 28th January 2011, 16:53   #1604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Wildfire is quite a good bet I hear, only sour point could be the lower res screen as compared to Desire?
Also, not to forget the sub-1ghz processor, but for the price it still seems vfm!

Frankly,i'm surprised people still consider the wildfire,"text is still readable" is not a plus point for a 14k phone.the samsung/lg/motorola optionsw are MUCH MUCH better

And the screen resolution hits you when you realise that most of the games/apps on the android market do not run on the wildfire because of its odd resolution.its processor is sub-par too

Save your money and go for the optimus one-the current mid-range winner
Old 28th January 2011, 16:57   #1605
BHPian

Yes, I completely agree. The screen resolution of HTC wildfire is bad. But for normal use you cannot find any difference. But when you try to play some HD videos than you can see the effect. And processor speed is also low.. you cant have many apps open.

I heard there is one good spec samsung android phone around 15k. I do not know the exact model. Latest Motorola smart phones are very very good.

Most Viewed