Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2011, 15:29   #1651
Team-BHP Support

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

All entry level Androids with the ARM 6 do not run flash. The Wildfire supports something called "Flash lite" which is not exactly flash, and will not work on most sites.
If you want flash, you have to look at the bigger Android phones, which cost 18K and upwards
Old 31st January 2011, 15:31   #1652
BHPian

@clevermax

ThanQ

For taking pains to explain the process so lucidly

Cheers
Old 31st January 2011, 15:32   #1653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
Can you please explain me what Flash activity will not work in this Optimus.
ALL Flash is unavailable on Optimus One.
Old 31st January 2011, 15:34   #1654
Senior - BHPian

HTC Wildfire vs LG Optimus P500

I'm looking to buy an Android phone.

Since this will be my 2nd/backup/personal usage phone (I already have a BB for official use), I do not want to spend more than 10-12k on it.

I'm confused between HTC Wildfire and LG Optimus P500.

My requirements:
1. QWERTY like typing
2. Good battery life
3. GPS, BT, WiFi
4. Good camera

HTC Wildfire seems to fulfill all of the above. But its Android 2.1. And the Optimus is 2.2 (but I have heard HTC is better than any other brand when it comes to Android handsets).

Which one to go for?

Also, I would like to know - what big deal is it to upgrade the firmware on an Android?

Like Nokia/BB, can we not upgrade to the next available version?
Old 31st January 2011, 15:59   #1655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
@clevermax
ThanQ
For taking pains to explain the process so lucidly
Cheers
No problem..! forgot to mention that you must have the option USB debugging turned on in the phone. (Found under Settings->Applications)
Old 31st January 2011, 16:07   #1656
BHPian

Re: HTC Wildfire vs LG Optimus P500

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

Since this will be my 2nd/backup/personal usage phone (I already have a BB for official use), I do not want to spend more than 10-12k on it.

My requirements:
1. QWERTY like typing
2. Good battery life
3. GPS, BT, WiFi
4. Good camera

HTC Wildfire seems to fulfill all of the above. But its Android 2.1. And the Optimus is 2.2 (but I have heard HTC is better than any other brand when it comes to Android handsets).

Which one to go for?

Also, I would like to know - what big deal is it to upgrade the firmware on an Android?

No worries, head over to [ROM] All ROMs for Wildfire (newest version) listed by release date. - xda-developers and get the ROM you want.
Old 31st January 2011, 16:48   #1657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
Hey Guys,

Need your help; What's the best android device out there for around Rs 25k?
Samsung Galaxy S is a very good phone with real good hardware
and software is ANDY

But you have to search hard for a phone with bill & warranty

Cheers
Old 31st January 2011, 17:45   #1658
BHPian

Thanks Clevermax, here is my screenshot I took based on your instructions.

HTC Desire, Android 2.2 from Linux (Fedora 14).
Attached Images

Old 31st January 2011, 18:15   #1659

Quote:

My requirements:
1. QWERTY like typing
2. Good battery life
3. GPS, BT, WiFi
4. Good camera

Which one to go for?

For what it is worth, I looked at these two phones very closely, and chose the Optimus One P500. The Optimus One has double the resolution (or double the pixels), and even then, has just about enough pixels for you to do anything meaningful with the phone. This will make a very big difference when using mapping, GPS, gaming apps etc. Plus, because of the higher resolution, a much larger number of apps will work with the Optimus One.

My other reasons were that the Optimus (also) has very good build quality, has a very good battery, and comes with Android 2.2 out of the box. On the down side, the camera is not as great as the Wildfire, which has a higher resolution (not that important) and comes with flash (very important).

Regarding qwerty, you will have to learn how to use Swype - there is no other way, as the default keyboard is really bad for any Android phone. Or else, you will need to go for an Android phone with a hardware keyboard. By the way, I use a bb for work too, and find the Android keyboard really bad to use in comparison. Swype is leagues better, but has a bit of a learning curve.
Old 31st January 2011, 19:18   #1660
Senior - BHPian

^^^Right, the cam on O1 isn't so good. :( Haven't compared it with Wildfire's cam though. Is Wildfire's noticeably better?

Why is there no other way besides Swype? There are other keyboards available. I concur that the stock Android keyboard is not at all good for this phone/screen size. I guess thats why LG has put in their own keyboard, and its quite usable, if one does not want Swype. Of course, if you compare it with those on larger screens, then its of course still cramped.
Old 31st January 2011, 20:33   #1661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Right, the cam on O1 isn't so good. :( Haven't compared it with Wildfire's cam though. Is Wildfire's noticeably better?

Why is there no other way besides Swype? There are other keyboards available. I concur that the stock Android keyboard is not at all good for this phone/screen size. I guess thats why LG has put in their own keyboard, and its quite usable, if one does not want Swype. Of course, if you compare it with those on larger screens, then its of course still cramped.
i compared wildfire camera with my wave's camera but i found wildfire camera is really bad. not sure how it is as compared to optimus one
Old 1st February 2011, 08:16   #1662
BHPian

Quote:

My requirements:
1. QWERTY like typing
2. Good battery life
3. GPS, BT, WiFi
4. Good camera

Which one to go for?
LG Optimus P500 score better on

1. 512 MB RAM against 384
2. 600 Mhz Processor against 528
3. Better battery at 1500 mAh against 1300 mAh
4. Offcourse Froyo 2.2 against 2.1

Build quality of LG is solid but no experience so I can not compare with HTC

Cheres
Old 1st February 2011, 10:22   #1663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asliarun View Post
For what it is worth, I looked at these two phones very closely, and chose the Optimus One P500. The Optimus One has double the resolution (or double the pixels), and even then, has just about enough pixels for you to do anything meaningful with the phone. This will make a very big difference when using mapping, GPS, gaming apps etc. Plus, because of the higher resolution, a much larger number of apps will work with the Optimus One.

My other reasons were that the Optimus (also) has very good build quality, has a very good battery, and comes with Android 2.2 out of the box. On the down side, the camera is not as great as the Wildfire, which has a higher resolution (not that important) and comes with flash (very important).

Regarding qwerty, you will have to learn how to use Swype - there is no other way, as the default keyboard is really bad for any Android phone. Or else, you will need to go for an Android phone with a hardware keyboard. By the way, I use a bb for work too, and find the Android keyboard really bad to use in comparison. Swype is leagues better, but has a bit of a learning curve.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
LG Optimus P500 score better on

1. 512 MB RAM against 384
2. 600 Mhz Processor against 528
3. Better battery at 1500 mAh against 1300 mAh
4. Offcourse Froyo 2.2 against 2.1

Build quality of LG is solid but no experience so I can not compare with HTC

Cheres
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I was initially tilted towards Wildfire because of the higher res camera. But read everywhere that display is pathetic.

Since this will be my first droid phone, I just want to be sure it does not leave any bad taste. Looks like I'll choose P500.

Any really convincing arguments in favour of HTC, other than the slightly stronger brand name, esp in Android phones?
Old 1st February 2011, 11:49   #1664

was in search for a good browser, was fed up with operamini, mobile dolphin and stock one. my search ended with UC browser, and I must say I've used nothing like it before it extremely fast and simple and uses less ram.
Old 1st February 2011, 13:31   #1665

Quote:

I have used or have tried using the stock Android keyboard as well as the LG keyboard, both in portrait and landscape mode, and have found it quite bad.

Too many errors because of lack of tactile feedback, error correction not as good as the iPhone, and a general discomfort of using a touch-screen keyboard were my reasons.

In my case, I have been using a blackberry (various models) heavily for the last 5 years or so, and there is a "zameen-aasmaan" difference - the blackberry keyboard is so much superior that it is not even a comparison. Perhaps, you can argue that I am too used to a physical qwerty keyboard. However, my wife, who has used Nokia phones all her life, also struggled really badly with both the Android and LG keyboards.

However, after installing Swype beta, things have changed quite dramatically. It does take some time to get used to it, but after you become comfortable with it, a light goes off in your head, and you wonder why you were using the other keyboards. My wife still finds the typing speed and accuracy of Swype a bit less than the old Nokia keyboard, but it is leagues better than the other options, and at least typing something is no longer a pain on the touchscreen.

However, this is indeed a personal viewpoint, and I realize that many people might find the default keyboard easy enough to use.

Most Viewed