Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2011, 10:51   #1741
Team-BHP Support

Re: P500 Gps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Yes, the GPS locking is impressive in my phone too. Since I still don't have a car holder for my phone, I was driving with the phone placed between my legs in the driver's seat and it still worked fine with Gps and navigation!

The bad thing is that battery lasted only 8 hours after today's heavy gps usage and browsing.

How much time it took to get a fix without internet connection?

EDIT: I have a finding. If you turn off Wi-Fi and mobile network and immediately access maps / compass or an app which locks to GPS sats, it will still acquire a lock if you had had a lock some moments back while Wi-Fi or mobile network was turned on. So, to really test if your device acquires lock without Wi-Fi or mobile network, you have to turn them off, kill the gps apps, and retry after some time.

I've read that without an internet connection, it may take up to 12 minutes to acquire a lock on gps sats.
The GPS was off in settings. I switched on GPS, and it took 1 minute to get a lock.
I think the Samsung Galaxy 3 has some bug(search XDA forums) where it cannot get a lock often. There is a fix also given for the same.
Old 7th February 2011, 11:36   #1742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The GPS was off in settings. I switched on GPS, and it took 1 minute to get a lock.
I think the Samsung Galaxy 3 has some bug(search XDA forums) where it cannot get a lock often. There is a fix also given for the same.
@Tanveer, I guess those were fixed by now with the latest the firmware as am not facing any issues to get a GPS lock on my G3. Any specific apps to test to confirm this? Would like to have a double check XDA fix requires rooting which will void the warranty. I don't want to kiss away my 3 months old phone's warranty now may be after 9 months so that by that time I can play around within the safe limits and get some idea on Android platform.
Old 7th February 2011, 12:19   #1743
BHPian

Re: Android as 2nd phone

Hi folks,

I am looking to replace my Nokia E63 with an Android phone.

I use a Blackberry as my primary phone, so this one is the secondary phone, but I would like it to be something a bit more entertaining, faast and smooth..

Budget around 26K. Any suggestions?

Also, for music listening, I use a dedicated portable music player Cowon D2+, and I don't watch movies on phones (too small).

Phone should look nice. I like the HTC Desire HD.

Thanks in advance.
Old 7th February 2011, 12:48   #1744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Hi folks,

I use a Blackberry as my primary phone, so this one is the secondary phone, but I would like it to be something a bit more entertaining, faast and smooth..

Also, for music listening, I use a dedicated portable music player Cowon D2+, and I don't watch movies on phones (too small).

Thanks in advance.
Nexus S is a good choice and its + point is the Super AMOLED screen. You can go through the videos that compare Desire HD with Nexus S and see the difference.
Old 7th February 2011, 13:12   #1745
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,

Thanks in advance.
Im in the same boat too, but i'll be keeping my E72 as a backup/secondary phone and then getting an Android phone. My budget is about 18-19k.
Old 7th February 2011, 13:28   #1746
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Thanks Manoj!

Nexus S is on the list now. Let me check it out.

CaliAtenza, have you checked out the Motorola Defy?

Edit: Looked at the Nexus S video. I don't like the design too much; tacky looking :-(

Last edited by johy : 7th February 2011 at 13:39.
Old 7th February 2011, 13:43   #1747
Senior - BHPian

Galaxy S is not available at Alfa too. They say its been a while since they got one too
Old 7th February 2011, 13:44   #1748
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Manoj!

Nexus S is on the list now. Let me check it out.

CaliAtenza, have you checked out the Motorola Defy?

Edit: Looked at the Nexus S video. I don't like the design too much; tacky looking :-(
yep i am looking at the Defy. Also the Desire, but the Defy is more appealing because of the second generation CPU and the fact i can dunk it in water and it will still work. Nice party trick. I checked out the Defy in person and its pretty small. The screen size is 3.7", same as the Desire, but for some reason the screen looks smaller on the Defy.
Old 7th February 2011, 13:56   #1749
BHPian

Hi Friends

Just want to play around with Android OS so looking to buy secondary phone(currently using iphone 4).

Planning to get Google Nexus One(250 GBP) from Uk .Will it be a good buy ?? Please suggest.

Thanks
Old 7th February 2011, 13:59   #1750
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
Will:
eBay India: Universal Car Mount Cradle Holder for Mobile GPS Phone (item 260729960679 end time 01-Mar-2011 22:26:52 IST)

Work with Samsung Galaxy 3 ?
Old 7th February 2011, 14:07   #1751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Thats funny, then how will you look into the maps once you need a direction as the machine is on your lap/BWL?

@ Clevermax, you can find a decent cradle for less than 200/ from mobile accessory shops. I've bought one from Ebay for 300/, very next day I found one in a local accessory shop for 175/ and the item I got from Ebay was not a good one and got it refunded.
I initially asked my wife to hold it for me and she never held it properly so that I can see the screen. Then I realized that placing it in my own seat is far better, you just need to look straight down It was easy for me as I am very much comfortable looking elsewhere for short moments while driving at normal speeds.

Anyway, that was the first time in India I really used navigation apart from testing it. That day evening itself I ordered a mobile phone holder from eBay. Ordered a USB charger too.

This will be my setup:

Cig. Lighter ----USB charger----> Phone----(audio out)---->Aux input of ICE. (It will be looking cool with two cables connected on either sides of the phone kept in landscape orientation in the holder )

Last edited by clevermax : 7th February 2011 at 14:15.
Old 7th February 2011, 16:31   #1752
BHPian

Guys,
Any advise on this phone?
This is the new entrant in the sub 15K market and has a 800MHz processor compared to the 600 one that Optimus 1 has. Planning on buying either this one or the LG Optimus 1

Buy Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830: Price, Reviews: Flipkart Mobiles
Old 7th February 2011, 16:55   #1753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Galaxy S is not available at Alfa too. They say its been a while since they got one too
Why dont you check out Samsung Galaxy Ace (link below). I think it's a good replacement of the Galaxy S.

Else, Optimus P500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Guys,
Any advise on this phone?
This is the new entrant in the sub 15K market and has a 800MHz processor compared to the 600 one that Optimus 1 has. Planning on buying either this one or the LG Optimus 1

Buy Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830: Price, Reviews: Flipkart Mobiles
Looks neat with those specs. Is this Samsung's anwser to P500?
It should work, but dont trust it's reliability. I got the same one last year from www.dealextreme.com and trust me, it is these kinds of products that lend such a bad name to Chinese stuff. The suction cup is strong and sticks on to the windshield; but the moment my E71 is kept on it, I feel the mount may fall off any minute.
Old 7th February 2011, 16:57   #1754
BHPian

Exactly this is the one I've bought for my G3, Don't buy this, its a cheap quality cradle and most irritating part is it'll cause scratches over the back side of the phone as it doesn't've any rubber pads to take care of it. The same one you can get it from any good mobile accessory shops for less than 180-175/- This will easily breakable and the hinges are not that solid to catch the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I initially asked my wife to hold it for me and she never held it properly so that I can see the screen. Then I realized that placing it in my own seat is far better, you just need to look straight down It was easy for me as I am very much comfortable looking elsewhere for short moments while driving at normal speeds.

Anyway, that was the first time in India I really used navigation apart from testing it. That day evening itself I ordered a mobile phone holder from eBay. Ordered a USB charger too.

This will be my setup:

Cig. Lighter ----USB charger----> Phone----(audio out)---->Aux input of ICE. (It will be looking cool with two cables connected on either sides of the phone kept in landscape orientation in the holder )
That's not a safe driving practice looking down for directions from the phone as its display is too small to read. I would rather suggest you to keep that some where on the dash board where you can see that properly. But a cradle is the best solution for viewing and good GPS reception.

@Clevermax, read my post about the cradle on EBay.

Very strange to hear that you want to plug in as much as cables on your machine. It'll really spoil the look IMHO.
Old 7th February 2011, 17:54   #1755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very strange to hear that you want to plug in as much as cables on your machine. It'll really spoil the look IMHO.
Strange indeed ... but somehow I like that all wired up look. It should and overwhelm any gps ignorant occupant in my car... Then I will love explaining the whole stuff!

Quote:
That's not a safe driving practice looking down for directions from the phone as its display is too small to read.
Yes I agree. But I am sure I won't keep looking at the display while car goes off road or something. First priority is driving As I said, display or not, it is my habit to devote some time to look elsewhere, while driving.. strange but I am used to it.

Last edited by clevermax : 7th February 2011 at 17:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks