Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2011, 09:26   #1846
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
Samsung announced new and improved Galaxy S II & a bigger Tab 10.1 at the mobile world congress at Barcelona.

Both has upgraded operating system, processor, camera and bigger & better screen.

The way and at the pace Samsung is moving seem to be putting the final nail in Nokia's coffin.

N8 was too little too late, bye bye Nokia welcome Samsung.
I've always disliked Nokia mobiles. Now Ms deal is not really going to solve anything I believe. Adios Nokia!!
Old 15th February 2011, 09:51   #1847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post

the LG optimus one 3D,launched at MWC
Wonderful show. Thoroughly enjoyed watching it ! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
Samsung announced new and improved Galaxy S II & a bigger Tab 10.1 at the mobile world congress at Barcelona.

Both has upgraded operating system, processor, camera and bigger & better screen.

The way and at the pace Samsung is moving seem to be putting the final nail in Nokia's coffin.

N8 was too little too late, bye bye Nokia welcome Samsung.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I've always disliked Nokia mobiles. Now Ms deal is not really going to solve anything I believe. Adios Nokia!!
I for one always liked the Nokia phones for their reliability. It would be sad to see them go down. Though I believe they lost a big chance by not going for android, i do really hope this alliance works. We need competition whether it's PC, Tablet or Mobile. I think they still make very good phones - the recent phones I have seen E63, E71/72 are worth the money. It's just that I feel they would find it difficult to compete with the app developer community of android. One good thing in their favor would be that MS would go all out to take their dominance of PC market into the mobile world as well.
Old 15th February 2011, 14:14   #1848
BHPian

hTc's entry into the tablet wars!

HTC launches 1.5GHz, 7-inch Flyer into the tablet wars -- Engadget

On paper, it's quite disappointing to see this from HTC when LG, Samsung and Moto are outing tabs with Honeycomb 3.0
Old 15th February 2011, 14:20   #1849
Team-BHP Support

Based on another discussion on another thread I came to the conclusion that I need to experience an Android phone. (See below)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2245550

Which is the best (reliable and good solid feel) Android phone in the Indian market right now? I will need one with a QWERTY keyboard as I am not comfortable with touch screen keyboards (tried many including Apple)
Old 15th February 2011, 14:52   #1850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Based on another discussion on another thread I came to the conclusion that I need to experience an Android phone. (See below)

Which is the best (reliable and good solid feel) Android phone in the Indian market right now? I will need one with a QWERTY keyboard as I am not comfortable with touch screen keyboards (tried many including Apple)
Navin bhai, Androids with QWERTY are very limited.
I recollect a couple i.e. Sony Xperia X10 mini pro and Samsung Galaxy 3 (with QWERTY). Both these phones have a slider QWERTY keypad.

Last edited by f1fan : 15th February 2011 at 14:56.
Old 15th February 2011, 15:02   #1851
BHPian

The Motorola Milestone( if available today ) is a good Android QWERTY phone. This was the phone that started Motorola's turn around.
Old 15th February 2011, 15:06   #1852
BHPian

@ vjAbraham 2011 is going to be the year of the tablet. Htc has taken it upto 1.5 ghz while Tab has 8mp camera. By Diwali the price should also come down to confuse Netbook target consumers.
Old 15th February 2011, 15:37   #1853
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
The Motorola Milestone( if available today ) is a good Android QWERTY phone..
There is a Milestone 2 available

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Navin bhai, Androids with QWERTY are very limited.
I recollect a couple i.e. Sony Xperia X10 mini pro and Samsung Galaxy 3 (with QWERTY). Both these phones have a slider QWERTY keypad.
The X10 is very small. Samsung has the Armani phone and a Galaxy S Pro (something like that).
Old 15th February 2011, 15:52   #1854
Team-BHP Support

^^^ Try this Navin, for 25k it looks like a good deal. A colleague has bought it and i really liked the handset.

HTC - Products - HTC Desire Z - Specification
Old 15th February 2011, 17:07   #1855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
^^^ Try this Navin, for 25k it looks like a good deal. A colleague has bought it and i really liked the handset.

HTC - Products - HTC Desire Z - Specification
+1
Desire Z is quite robust and is a very good Android phone for that price.
Old 15th February 2011, 21:41   #1856
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications

Can somebody suggest a good TO-DO app.

I installed one but its junk. I need one that gives a pop up reminder on screen with ringtone.

I tried many but none are able to work. I have a Galaxy S and 2.1 android.
Old 16th February 2011, 08:58   #1857
BHPian

How much is the original Desire now? Trying to decide between the Desire and the Moto Defy
Old 16th February 2011, 11:28   #1858
NIP
Senior - BHPian

I think the HTC Desire Z will feel the lack of processing power very fast, being 800MHz. I have both the Samsung Spica (800MHz) and Samsung Galaxy S (1GHz), and the difference is vast IMO.

Navin, I think if you have a budget of 25k for a phone, go with HTC Desire HD. No QWERTY though, but you should try a 'full' touchscreen phone anyways. I've been a hardcore QWERTY chap for years, and the Android experience has made me a convert. If you can get your hands on a Samsung Galaxy S, just buy it with eyes closed. Nothing comes close to this phone in terms of screen and experience (in the 1GHz range). I've seen them all. this is purely my opinion, and not trying to offend anyone.

Another option would be Motorola Milestone 2, with TI OMAP3630 1GHz CPU, PowerVR SGX530 graphics accelerator. But if you are looking at something this side of 20k (and less processing power), then also look at Motorola Flipout (QWERTY) and Motorola Defy. Defy IMO is VFM.

Last edited by NIP : 16th February 2011 at 11:30.
Old 16th February 2011, 12:28   #1859
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

Navin, what exactly do you want to do with your mobile.
For example, if all you want to do is run some simple apps and use the phone for sms and calls, and maybe use some GPS, you can go for X10 mini Pro for 13000 INR.

However, if you want all bells and whistles, and run lot of apps, you can go for HTC Desire Z

Regarding Touchscreens, do remember, that touchscreen experience is very dependent on the "keyboard software".
MAny people I know swear by swype. But it did not suite me.
So I am currently using Thickeys.
It basically is a predictive typing keyboard, which automatically makes the keys it thinks will be pressed larger.
Then you have weird keyboards like 8pen. Truly mind boggling, and once you get the hang of it (after a lot of practice), it is a killer.
For Palm fanatics(you remember palm, right!) there is graffiti which is a handwriting recognition keyboard.
So touchscreens do give you a lot of options.
I also did not like touchscreen due to lack of tactile feedback.
Then I enabled vibrate on keypress, and now I am a convert.

But in the end, you will be the user, so if you have to have QWERTY, go for it.

Now you get QWERTY keyboards on all platforms, with prices starting as low as 10,000rs for some devices. I think there is a Micromax phone for 6000 INR too.

So it all depends on what you want. When I look at the platforms, the main platforms today are
1. Meego etc., - The orphan child of nokia. I really don't know where it will lead. But N900 is definitely a swell phone.
2. Android - The platform of choice for people who love to experiment. One of the most open. you can install any app you like, even if its not on google official market. This is single biggest advantage of android over Ios. Do whatever with your phone without Jailbreaking. Now companies like motorola, and even LG are adding "root protection" to their phones. You cannot root the phones without extensive hacks. On most other phones however, getting "root" access is easy. That said, you don't need root unless you are into custom roms and some other stuff. All android phones will allow you to install most apps. But be aware ARM6 phones cannot run Flash. If you want to run flash on your mobile, you will need to use a higher end processor. Starting price for such phones is 17000-18000; Its a hardware limitation. Flash does not run on ARM 6 processor, so entry level androids will not run flash. HTC does have something called flash lite, but its not flash.
3. Symbian - The grand daddy. Its behind in the app space, but to be frank, for a not so tech savvy user who does not care about app universe, Nokia phones are still a force to reckon with. The battery life of Nokia phones is still among the best.
Do not discount Nokia. For what you need the phone for, it may be the best
4. IoS - Well you pay 30,000 and you get a phone which does not do many things. For example Iphone users need to pay 299 on vodaphone for 450MB Iphone plan, as normal GPRS does not work. Similar issues on some other networks also. Other normal smartphone users get 2GB of data for 199 INR/month (GPRS)
Then there are things like apps. You need to Jailbreak your phone if you want to install anything other than what apple permits. I think you better stay away.
5. Bada - New Samsung OS. Very limited apps etc., I do not have much idea about this. However we do have a Bada thread
6. Windows mobile 7 - Well MS has not quite gotten it. The phones may be good, but the OS does not seem to be well put together.

So here you have it.
I suggest you think of all your requirements, for example GPS-WIFI-QWERTY and then go to gsmarena.com. There it will give you a result of around 30 phones which meet your criteria. then you can filter those available in India.

you can also put your requirements here also.
For example, you may want a phone with good audio quality. That changes things.

That said, if you do decide on android, narrow down on 2-3 phones and post here. If there are other phones better than the ones you listed in your budget, we will mention them.

LAst but not the least, do not discount touchscreens. Ask for an android phone from a friend and try out the various keyboards I listed.

And remember, if you do not care about "Flash support", a phone like LG Optimus P500 (the one I use) will rock. You will save money (its 12000 INR) and you can change it after 2 years without regret. Changing a 25K phone is tougher.

I got myself a 12000 phone even after having a 25K budget for this precise reason. Mobile phone market is hotting up, and since I work in the VLSI field, I know for a fact that 2 years later some big game changers are expected in the market.
So changing a 12K phone after 2 years won't be pinching to the pocket, since I will easily get around 5-6K for my optimus, and then I can go for a 18-20 K phone.
Old 16th February 2011, 13:25   #1860
BHPian

After going thru a hell lot of articles for the HTC desire I finally stepped went to the trusted dealer from whom I have always bought a mobile. I was in for a shock when he told me that the desire is NO LONGER AVAILABLE. However he has a few gray market pieces which he was willing to give for 21.5K. The phone would but naturally be without any bill/warranty. I was totally confused & deicided to let go.
Guys I sincerely need your help since I am now again back to square 1. My max budget is 20K. Please suggest an alternative to the Desire. The Desire S is almost 26K, so goes out of the window for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks