Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2011, 23:05   #1906
BHPian

Re: Gingerbread for P500??

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooze View Post
Biggest point in favour of P500 is that LG have confirmed that it will get andorid 2.3 update. Samsung still to give any updates on further updates.
Could you please provide some links for this news? If so, this would be a big thumbs up for LG P500, if it can be updated with gingerbread. But is the existing hardware sufficient to take care of this upgrade?
Old 18th February 2011, 03:36   #1907
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooze View Post
Having purchased and used Galaxy Ace some points :

1) Has a bigger screen 3.5 (Screen size makes a huge difference in price)
2) 800Mhz processer does its Job very weel not lag till now.
3) Very small ROM memory of 278MB.
4) Already have seen 3-4 movies and again the output was very good.
5) Sound output quality is also very good.
6) Iphone 4 copy and people can mistake it for Iphone4 :-)

Biggest point in favour of P500 is that LG have confirmed that it will get andorid 2.3 update. Samsung still to give any updates on further updates.
good write up. Yeah i think anything over 3.5" will push the price closer to or over 20k. Did you look at the Moto Defy as well? I really want someone to compare these 2 phones.
Old 18th February 2011, 08:09   #1908
BHPian

Re: Gingerbread for P500??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Could you please provide some links for this news? If so, this would be a big thumbs up for LG P500, if it can be updated with gingerbread. But is the existing hardware sufficient to take care of this upgrade?
May like to visit

The 512 MB RAM is more than sufficient to take care of upgrades.

BTW some tabs(Andy 2.3) are running on 512 MB RAM
Also ipad IIRC was launched with lesser RAM

Cheers
Old 18th February 2011, 08:28   #1909
Senior - BHPian

I have been using the Google Nexus S since early January, and even now I am discovering new features that can be harnessed by proper apps.
I especially like the phone because unlike other manufacturers who have a skin over the android shell, this is native Android 2.3 - Thus enabling me to use google appinventor to build (silly) apps, intall and run them on my phone. Other phones need to be rooted in order to install non android market apps.
The elixir app displayed that this phone has a gyroscope, a magnetometer, gravity sensor and compass with the usual accelerometer, lightmeter and proximity sensor!
With appinventor and open android for usb debugging, the possibilities are limitless.
The only sore points are -
a. no zoom in camera (shoot n crop is the only solution),
b. not 4g enabled
c. battery life is not all that good (but I guess thats a common point with all smartphones - I used a Nokia E63 w/o any data package before this).
Old 18th February 2011, 09:38   #1910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I have been using the Google Nexus S since early January, and even now I am discovering new features that can be harnessed by proper apps.
I especially like the phone because unlike other manufacturers who have a skin over the android shell, this is native Android 2.3 - Thus enabling me to use google appinventor to build (silly) apps, intall and run them on my phone. Other phones need to be rooted in order to install non android market apps.
The elixir app displayed that this phone has a gyroscope, a magnetometer, gravity sensor and compass with the usual accelerometer, lightmeter and proximity sensor!
With appinventor and open android for usb debugging, the possibilities are limitless.
The only sore points are -
a. no zoom in camera (shoot n crop is the only solution),
b. not 4g enabled
c. battery life is not all that good (but I guess thats a common point with all smartphones - I used a Nokia E63 w/o any data package before this).
Nexus S is yet to reach indian shores.
For a matter of fact, the only 1GHz phones available now in India running Android Froyo are from HTC.
Samsung doesnt have any 1GHz phones now in market.
SE Xperia X10 is still coming with Eclair I hope.

I am in the lookout for a phone with 4" screen, 1GHz processor, Divx/Xvid playback and Flash support running Froyo and the only option available now is HTC Desire HD. This model has a very bad reputation for Battery life and is understandable given a 1230mah battery. So there comes my another requirement that the phone should have minimum 1500mah battery.
Waiting for Sammy to re-introduce Galaxy S in its new flavour.
Old 18th February 2011, 10:35   #1911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Nexus S is yet to reach indian shores.
For a matter of fact, the only 1GHz phones available now in India running Android Froyo are from HTC.
Samsung doesnt have any 1GHz phones now in market.
SE Xperia X10 is still coming with Eclair I hope.

I am in the lookout for a phone with 4" screen, 1GHz processor, Divx/Xvid playback and Flash support running Froyo and the only option available now is HTC Desire HD. This model has a very bad reputation for Battery life and is understandable given a 1230mah battery. So there comes my another requirement that the phone should have minimum 1500mah battery.
Waiting for Sammy to re-introduce Galaxy S in its new flavour.
Why would you want froyo when gingerbread is doing the rounds now?

Galaxy S II is coming soon - 4.3" screen, gingerbread, 8 mp back camera, 2 mp front camera, dual core 1 ghz processor, 1 gig ram.

Oh - and its only 8.49 mm thick !

Samsung Galaxy S II official: dual-core 1GHz CPU, 4.3-inch Super AMOLED Plus, coming this month (hands-on with video) -- Engadget
Old 18th February 2011, 10:37   #1912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Why would you want froyo when gingerbread is doing the rounds now?

Galaxy S II is coming soon - 4.3" screen, gingerbread, 8 mp back camera, 2 mp front camera, dual core 1 ghz processor, 1 gig ram.

Oh - and its only 8.49 mm thick !

Samsung Galaxy S II official: dual-core 1GHz CPU, 4.3-inch Super AMOLED Plus, coming this month (hands-on with video) -- Engadget
No models with Gingerbread is available in India now. Galaxy S2 may take more time to come to market and pricing is also not fixed. All the dual core phones are just announced and will take another 2-3 months atleast to come to India.
Old 18th February 2011, 11:45   #1913
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post
IMHO you don't need a smartphone if these are your main requirements. A normal phone with a good 5MP camera + QWERTY keyboard would suffice.
Name a few please. We have tried a lot of phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
No difference. Infact you don't even need a smartphone. All you need is a phone with a keypad and a good camera
Unfortunately, nobody makes non smartphones with advanced cameras.
No one makes a cheap phone with a good keyboard. A good keyboard with well spaced keys implies a big screen (bigger than 3.5") which implies higher cost.

Quote:
Galaxy S2 may take more time to come to market and pricing is also not fixed.
unrelated question. I am seeing more and more phones without tactile keyboards. why. I too (like my wife) find tactile keyboards a must.
Old 18th February 2011, 11:46   #1914
BHPian

have narrowed down to the lg optimus one p500 for myself. has great functionalities for such a neat pricetag. my opinion its the best smartphone in its league. tried it out in croma yesterday and found awesome touch response. yes havent tried out the browser but was realtively impressed by its touch.
Old 18th February 2011, 11:58   #1915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
unrelated question. I am seeing more and more phones without tactile keyboards. why. I too (like my wife) find tactile keyboards a must.
I think its just a matter of getting used to. I have seen people typing amazingly fast in touchscreen keyboards. A dedicated tactile keyboard for a full touchscreen has to be a slideout keyboard which will make it bulky.
Old 18th February 2011, 12:09   #1916
BHPian

This may be a silly question, but I want to know how can I share a contact details with somebody else through sms via my motorola defy phone?
Old 18th February 2011, 15:19   #1917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
This may be a silly question, but I want to know how can I share a contact details with somebody else through sms via my motorola defy phone?
Just view that contact, and press menu button and you can see an option "Send contact". Then you can choose the numbers you want to send and also select via SMS.

Quote:
I think its just a matter of getting used to. I have seen people typing amazingly fast in touchscreen keyboards. A dedicated tactile keyboard for a full touchscreen has to be a slideout keyboard which will make it bulky.
Yes. Initially I was so particular about having a physical keyboard and later decided not to go for such models as they involve slider / open close. Now I can say that I am very much used to the virtual keyboard.

BTW, has anyone tried ADW Launcher? I installed it and having a black metal theme on it. Its much different from the HTC Sense Home UI that came by default!

Last edited by clevermax : 18th February 2011 at 15:22.
Old 18th February 2011, 17:54   #1918
BHPian

Has anyone got samsung ace, I am planing to get it for my wife.
Old 18th February 2011, 18:03   #1919
BHPian

clevermax, did you root your desire yet? Is it still running 2.1 or moved to 2.2/2.3? If so, which ROM?
Old 18th February 2011, 20:02   #1920
BHPian

Guys,
Finally took the plunge and bought a Samsung Galaxy ACE from Alfa for Rs 14500 with B&W ( The same was also available for Rs 12000 without B&W).
Looks good. Comes with two back covers i.e. one black and one white apart from a brown leather cover for the cellphone.

Will provide a complete feedback next week once my data plan has been activated.

Last edited by f1fan : 18th February 2011 at 20:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks