Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 13:48   #1951
NIP
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I really don't like the touchwiz UI on my SGS, which is why I have been using Go Launcher EX for a while now, and am very happy with it. Very fluid and gives tons of customization options.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:12   #1952
Distinguished - BHPian

@CaliAtenza: Preloaded widgets:
-- Clocks: analog, digital,dual(2 timezones)
-- facebook: instant notification of status updates
-- News and weather
-- You tube
-- Yahoo finance
-- Power control: quickly change settings
-- Latitude
-- Picture frame: slideshow from galley
-- Market: get more widgets here ;-)

Well I was waiting for the price of desire to come down too. Would have waited for some more if this wasn't launched.
Old 21st February 2011, 16:13   #1953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

Please recommend a business phone which is :

1. Excellent phone reception quality
2. Very intuitive
3. Has a qwerty keyboard (have no experience of a touchscreen, so don't really know if that'll suit me or not)
4. Good audio playing ability (bass)
5. Easy to download and store music clips from the net
6. Doesn't crash
7. Large memory ( in -phone as as well as add on for extended memory)
8. Easy internet access
9. Powerful camera with zoom

Price limit - within 25k

Regards, drive safe
Get an Android Smartphone

Motorola Milestone has what ever you need except
1> Camera: Low Light quality is BAD and it has Digital zoom. The more you zoom, the more pixelated it gets.
2> Internal Memory: it has very low internal memory, but comes with an 8 GB mem Card.

alternatively you can get the Droid 2 Global [also by Motorola]
1> it has an 8 MP camera [Milestone has a 5 MP one] but it also has Digital Zoom only
2> and it comes with 8 GB of internal Memory with an SD card slot

but it'll definitely be over 25K

You can also consider the following phones
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pro
Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro

I have the Milestone and am Very happy with it.

Last edited by Sprucegoose : 21st February 2011 at 16:15.
Old 21st February 2011, 17:46   #1954
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,
Been very happy with my Desire HD in the 2 weeks that I have been using it. The battery also seems to be holding up well after I've switched off flash.

One thing is foxing me, I can only see around 25 odd SMS's in my inbox but I have received a lot more than that. I've seen the settings menu and I've disabled "Delete Old Messages" option. Still the old messages seem to be disappearing.

Any hints on what I am missing here?

Thanks
Old 21st February 2011, 17:58   #1955
Distinguished - BHPian

@hiren: Chances are Desire displays messages as 'threads'. So, if you reply to A and then A replies again, all the 3 messages would be stored under a single thread. The oldest message from the person appears right at the bottom.

Can be one of the things, I can think of.
Old 21st February 2011, 18:29   #1956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
@hiren: Chances are Desire displays messages as 'threads'. So, if you reply to A and then A replies again, all the 3 messages would be stored under a single thread. The oldest message from the person appears right at the bottom.

Can be one of the things, I can think of.
Yes, I know that. Got no issues with that.
I know for certain there were a few sms exchanges I've had with a couple of friends of mine, they're not there anymore.

I've noticed one thing though, when I click to delete a message there seems to be an option to "Delete locked messages" I wonder what that is for?
I always check this and then delete the message.

Regards
Old 21st February 2011, 20:19   #1957
Senior - BHPian

^ @hiren: My desire shows 288 messages under one thread! Message exchange with my brother...! No issues here

And...it has been 24 hours since I unplugged it from charger and now 46% battery is left!!! That's impressive isn't it!!

How is the normal LCD display of Desire HD? Good enough?

Last edited by clevermax : 21st February 2011 at 20:24.
Old 22nd February 2011, 09:42   #1958
Senior - BHPian

Impressive battery life for HTC Desire

^ Update: I am getting very good battery life after I switched to ADW Launcher home UI and got rid of few of those widgets!

Now it has been exactly 36 hours since the last full charge and battery still shows 7% remaining! I have been using the phone as normal, there were calls, e-mails, messages, fair amount of browsing etc. Kept the display brightness at lower values, but not too low. GPS usage wasn't there except for few minutes. Edge was on 80% of the time and Wi-Fi for few hours. I still run weather widget which updates every 3 hours.

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd February 2011 at 09:46.
Old 22nd February 2011, 09:58   #1959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
^ @hiren: My desire shows 288 messages under one thread! Message exchange with my brother...! No issues here

And...it has been 24 hours since I unplugged it from charger and now 46% battery is left!!! That's impressive isn't it!!

How is the normal LCD display of Desire HD? Good enough?
There must be some setting hidden somewhere that I may have clicked, perhaps!

Impressive, even my charge easily lasts 18+ hours with my rather heavy usage. Edge is on 100% of the time, using GTalk and IMO quite extensively. The brightness is at 40%. The novelty factor is still rather high for me, I have a habit of unlocking the phone every 5 mins and changing wallpapers atleast 5 times a day.

I've had no issues with the LCD of my phone, it continues to take my breath away everytime I see it. Isn't is SLCD? Even if its not, no biggie.

I have not managed to use any maps apps,I just can't get my head around it. One of these days I will "try" to see how it works.

What is this ADW launcher, I've heard a bit about of it earlier. Can you please explain a bit? I'll be very pleased to get rid of some of the unwanted apps/widgets pre-loaded on the phone.

Cheers
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:36   #1960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Yes, I know that. Got no issues with that.
I know for certain there were a few sms exchanges I've had with a couple of friends of mine, they're not there anymore.

I've noticed one thing though, when I click to delete a message there seems to be an option to "Delete locked messages" I wonder what that is for?
I always check this and then delete the message.

Regards
You might exchange a number of messages with someone. The lock option allows you to lock certain msgs so that it doesn't get deleted unless you check the option "delete locked msgs". This is useful when you want to keep one or two msgs from the entire conversation. Atleast that is what I understood about the featre!
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:58   #1961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjabraham View Post
You might exchange a number of messages with someone. The lock option allows you to lock certain msgs so that it doesn't get deleted unless you check the option "delete locked msgs". This is useful when you want to keep one or two msgs from the entire conversation. Atleast that is what I understood about the featre!
Yes, I guess thats where I was going wrong. While deleting messages I would always check the option to delete locked messages, have stopped doing that since yesterday and hopefully my messages will not disappear.

Thanks.

For people like me who are new to Android, here's an great article on rooting your device. It just lists out the pro's and con's of rooting your device.

As of now I am sitting on the wall, not sure whether I know enough to go ahead and root the device.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 22nd February 2011 at 11:06.
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:28   #1962
BHPian

Re: Samsung Galaxy Ace v/s LG Optimus One?

Please advise on samsung galaxy ace v/s LG optimus one? Which might be a better android device and also which stands better chance of getting gingerbread at the earliest?
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:49   #1963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
What is this ADW launcher, I've heard a bit about of it earlier. Can you please explain a bit? I'll be very pleased to get rid of some of the unwanted apps/widgets pre-loaded on the phone.
Cheers
It is an app which provides a different home UI for your HTC phone than the default HTC Sense UI. You can have several themes installed on top of ADW Launcher, I am currently using a theme called Black Glass which is neat.
Old 22nd February 2011, 14:01   #1964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is an app which provides a different home UI for your HTC phone than the default HTC Sense UI. You can have several themes installed on top of ADW Launcher, I am currently using a theme called Black Glass which is neat.
Installing the free version right now. Thanks!
Old 22nd February 2011, 14:14   #1965
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, pardon me for the noob questions:
Is this ADW Launcher exclusively for HTC phones or can the same be installed on Samsung phones.

Also wanted to know how can I install apps directly on the SD Card of my Samsung Galaxy ACE. I installed one yesterday and by default, it was installed on the phone's memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Please advise on samsung galaxy ace v/s LG optimus one? Which might be a better android device and also which stands better chance of getting gingerbread at the earliest?
LG has already announced that Optimus 1 would be getting Gingerbread. Havent heard anything from Samsung about the ACE.
Regarding which is better, I would suggest you try out both side by side as that would give you a fair idea on the UI, Looks and Feel, etc

Last edited by f1fan : 22nd February 2011 at 14:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks