Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2011, 17:00   #2266
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Thanks for the info. I too some how liked the over package of Xperia better than the Galaxy. No offence to anyone. Personal opinion.
The only issue is Sony is not too fast giving updates of x10. Atleast that's what's happening in USA. X10 is still stuck at Android 2.1(eclair) officially in USA. I don't know about the current situation of x10 in India but my guess is, it would be more or less the same.

Compare to that, Samsung is a step ahead with just launched 2.2 (froyo).

Obviously, the most cool thing about android is to go root and install custom rom and have all the fun with added excellent battery life.

The only issue i find with these two is, both are getting newer replacements in a couple of months. So i would definitely wait and watch rather than take the plunge unless and until its damn important to get one asap.

You sure can go ahead and get either of these two. But if you want wait, i would say it would be worth it. And then in a couple of months you can increase your budget by 4k-5k and get better versions of these. Just my opinion.

Last edited by chevelle : 12th March 2011 at 17:01.
Old 12th March 2011, 17:35   #2267
BHPian

Hi Everyone,
Check the price of the android mobile in the below site. Looks attractive to me. Prices are seems to be better than flipkart.

InfiBeam: Gifts to India | Online Shopping India | Apparel, Books, Cameras, Watches, Mobiles
Old 12th March 2011, 19:00   #2268
BHPian

got the damn phone. Galaxy SL that is.

Do this says Gorilla Glass, that means I do not need to install a scratch guard or something on it ?
Old 12th March 2011, 20:19   #2269
Distinguished - BHPian

@shashank.A: Yup no need of a scratch guard. Check out some videos on youtube where people have tried everything to scratch the Gorilla glass and have failed. where did you get it from and for how much?
Old 12th March 2011, 22:30   #2270
BANNED

Just installed Photile app on my friends mobile. Wonderful app and its free too!
Old 13th March 2011, 00:19   #2271
BHPian

I am planning to get the Galaxy SL (at 19k it is a steal). My only concern is the camera quality. Without the flash, is the camera completely useless in the dark (as in, is there any ISO mode?) What about the camera quality itself?
Old 13th March 2011, 00:38   #2272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
@shashank.A: Yup no need of a scratch guard. Check out some videos on Youtube where people have tried everything to scratch the Gorilla glass and have failed. where did you get it from and for how much?
Got it from the Mobile store, paid 19.6 in all, including the extended one year warranty provided by the mobile store itself and 2% discount on HDFC cards.
Old 13th March 2011, 01:09   #2273
BHPian

Re: Android applications

"ngpay" app which was very famous within symbian users is now available in android market. Useful to book cinema, bus and train tickets as well as to shop through the phone.
Old 13th March 2011, 02:49   #2274
BHPian

Ah, after some gap I am back on Team-Bhp.

Just a quick post for my fellow Galaxy3 users, after months of wait and stupid bugs of Android 2.1 and Samsung not giving the update, I finally rooted my G3, then installed a custom Rom.
I am using [ROM] Kyrillos' ROM v3.0 Extreme Edition (beta)
phone run Froyo now, is more lively, more smooth, more easy to use, works fine in online/offline mode, GPS works fine, feels like a whole new phone since i flashed it.
However i did replaced 1-2 applications from what was included in Kyrillos Rom.
Its been a week or so with error free usage on above mentioned Rom

If anybody wants to update before samsung gives the update you can go with above mentioned Rom, just make sure you "Flash original JPF" from samfirmware before trying the above rom. Read the thread on xda before trying to flash.
use it on your own risk.

I am loving the phone since i did this update.

Last edited by ghpk : 13th March 2011 at 02:53.
Old 13th March 2011, 12:51   #2275
BHPian

Hi,

I received my orange San Francisco yesterday. I got the phone network unlocked. This is my first android smart phone, and dont really know what to expect in terms of functions, performance and battery life. So far seems to be good VFM phone.

I am also looking forward to root the phone and install a custom ROM preferably Froyo 10

I am also looking for screen protectors and a silicon and or leather carry case or pouch. There doesnt seem to be any Orange SF/ZTE Blade/ Dell XCD35 specific accessories in the market. Any suggestions and pointers regarding the same will be of great help.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers!

Sparkglow
Old 13th March 2011, 16:13   #2276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkglow View Post
Hi,

I received my orange San Francisco yesterday. I got the phone network unlocked. This is my first android smart phone, and dont really know what to expect in terms of functions, performance and battery life. So far seems to be good VFM phone.

I am also looking forward to root the phone and install a custom ROM preferably Froyo 10

I am also looking for screen protectors and a silicon and or leather carry case or pouch. There doesnt seem to be any Orange SF/ZTE Blade/ Dell XCD35 specific accessories in the market. Any suggestions and pointers regarding the same will be of great help.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers!

Sparkglow

Best custom 2.2 roms - JJ9 and FL10

Screen guard/jelly case - none available in india at the moment,you can buy them off ebay.uk or alternatively us the nokia e71 jelly case and the samsung omnia i900 screen protector.both of them will look ugly but will serve the purpose just fine

PM if you have any more questions
Old 13th March 2011, 22:20   #2277
Senior - BHPian

Thinking of selling my Galaxy 3 for a Galaxy SLCD.

Any idea how much can i expect a 4 month old Galaxy 3 to fetch ?
Old 14th March 2011, 11:06   #2278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkglow View Post
Hi,
Sparkglow
Check clarivue.com they ship to India for $1 shipping charge
Old 14th March 2011, 11:13   #2279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Thinking of selling my Galaxy 3 for a Galaxy SLCD.

Any idea how much can i expect a 4 month old Galaxy 3 to fetch ?
I was contemplating the same, the shope in Pune indicated 7 k for my LG P500 in buyback. the current street price is about 12k in Pune. so about a near 50% fall in price.
Old 14th March 2011, 11:24   #2280
Senior - BHPian

Swype and battery life

I installed Swype for the second time. Earlier I uninstalled it thinking that it drains the battery.

In actuality it doesn't seem to drain the battery at all. I charged the phone day before and yesterday and I was using it for chating, browsing and some gps & maps. There were at least 30 minutes of calls and several text messaging too.

While I was putting it on charge again, 20% battery remained and the phone was unplugged for past 29 hours then. Simple extrapolation indicates a battery life of 36 hours.

HTC Desire - ADW Launcher - unrooted

Last edited by clevermax : 14th March 2011 at 11:29.

Most Viewed