Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2011, 22:29   #2686
BHPian

Re: Android applications

Here is a list of android apps that can help you maintain your car

Car Android Apps | Best | Cool | Top | TheAndroidSoul

Last edited by kap04 : 12th April 2011 at 22:45.
Old 12th April 2011, 23:13   #2687
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
.... Galaxy Ace seems to be the perfect one at 15k. Pop & Fit are fine too (except camera & processor speed) but I'm doubtful of how the processor speed is going to impact game-play and mainly during GPS navigation. Even HTC's wildfire has less speed when compared to Ace.

Does 800MHz processor phone have significant difference when compared to 600MHz processor phones while playing games, accessing apps, browsing facebook, running Gtalk and last but not the least, GPS performance.

EDIT: Any other phone comparable to Ace at 15k or less with 800MHz processor? Can live with a bad camera/video.
I am using the Ace for a month or so. Only catch is the RAM is very less, 278MB. Optimus offer 512MB but has a 600MHz processor. My friend has the Optimus, both phones seem at par wrt to speed. Haven't much used the GPS.

Overall am pretty happy with the Ace.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 12th April 2011 at 23:15.
Old 13th April 2011, 02:42   #2688
BHPian

The dell XCD35 now ships with android 2.2,consider that as well,with its 800*480 screen a huge developer support
Old 13th April 2011, 11:19   #2689
Team-BHP Support

I have decided to wait for HTC Wildfire S. It appears to be quite a small but outstanding package. Gorilla glass capacitive touchscreen, 320x480 resolution with Gingerbread.
Old 13th April 2011, 11:32   #2690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
I would have suggested Samsung Galaxy Ace. However its low on RAM and if i am not wrong there is no navigation application. In LG Optimus one, which is now available at 10K, Ndrive is the application software and comes preinstalled with India maps. Works like a charm and i have been using it. Does not require you to use GPS and the satellite lock is generally within a minute
I plan on installing Sygic Mobile Maps from mapmyindia (v6.0) which are compatible with Symbian/Android phones so navigation software isn't what I'm looking for as long as GPS in phone works even without the sim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I am using the Ace for a month or so. Only catch is the RAM is very less, 278MB. Optimus offer 512MB but has a 600MHz processor. My friend has the Optimus, both phones seem at par wrt to speed. Haven't much used the GPS.

How exactly this low RAM has impacted the performance of this phone?

To all: What combination is better, low RAM + High Speed Processor (Ace) or high RAM + low speed processor (which all <15k phones?) or moderate RAM + moderate processor (which all <15k phones?)

EDIT: How would you rate HTC's Wildfire S when compared to Galaxy Ace?

Last edited by fine69 : 13th April 2011 at 11:39.
Old 13th April 2011, 11:58   #2691
BHPian

Bought the Ace. I guess both the Wildfire as well as Ace are not upgradeable to further Droid releases. There maybe some other route though through cracks etc but I am not sure of that.
As far as performance goes, I would say its at par with any other phone in this price category (15k)... With GPS based navigator, it works absolutely fine. An 800 Mhz proc doesnt seem to be slow at all. This has a good battery as compared to peers. I am getting a full day and half with all time internet usage.
Old 13th April 2011, 12:00   #2692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wasn't able to locate Samsung Mini on the Samsung India website. It was listed on the main Samsung website though. I think almost all the features are comparable to galaxy pop. What's different in this phone?
Galaxy Pop is the Mini.

Quote:
Galaxy Ace seems to be the perfect one at 15k. Pop & Fit are fine too (except camera & processor speed) but I'm doubtful of how the processor speed is going to impact game-play and mainly during GPS navigation. Even HTC's wildfire has less speed when compared to Ace.

Does 800MHz processor phone have significant difference when compared to 600MHz processor phones while playing games, accessing apps, browsing facebook, running Gtalk and last but not the least, GPS performance.

EDIT: Any other phone comparable to Ace at 15k or less with 800MHz processor? Can live with a bad camera/video.
From what I have researched, gameplay is better on an 800 mhz processor. I felt a slight lag playing Angry Birds on O1 than Ace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
I would have suggested Samsung Galaxy Ace. However its low on RAM and if i am not wrong there is no navigation application. In LG Optimus one, which is now available at 10K, Ndrive is the application software and comes preinstalled with India maps. Works like a charm and i have been using it. Does not require you to use GPS and the satellite lock is generally within a minute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

Do you feel the effect of the low RAM? If yes, please point out specific apps that make you realize this. I have just bought the Ace and hence the question.
Quote:
I plan on installing Sygic Mobile Maps from mapmyindia (v6.0) which are compatible with Symbian/Android phones so navigation software isn't what I'm looking for as long as GPS in phone works even without the sim.
I have used Sygic on Symbian (Nokia E71) and it works without a SIM. Hence I assume it would do so on an Android as well.

OT - can you PM me the link for Sygic?

Quote:
How exactly this low RAM has impacted the performance of this phone?

To all: What combination is better, low RAM + High Speed Processor (Ace) or high RAM + low speed processor (which all <15k phones?) or moderate RAM + moderate processor (which all <15k phones?)
I guess better processor scores slightly above more RAM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
Bought the Ace. I guess both the Wildfire as well as Ace are not upgradeable to further Droid releases. There maybe some other route though through cracks etc but I am not sure of that.
As far as performance goes, I would say its at par with any other phone in this price category (15k)... With GPS based navigator, it works absolutely fine. An 800 Mhz proc doesnt seem to be slow at all. This has a good battery as compared to peers. I am getting a full day and half with all time internet usage.
Why would you say that? Wildfire MAY NOT be upgradeable (since it's quite an old release now), but I'm sure Ace would be bumped to GingerBread soon. It's a recent launch.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 13th April 2011 at 12:02.
Old 13th April 2011, 12:19   #2693
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
EDIT: How would you rate HTC's Wildfire S when compared to Galaxy Ace?
Quote:
Bought the Ace. I guess both the Wildfire as well as Ace are not upgradeable to further Droid releases.
The Wildfire S is not yet released and it comes with Gingerbread.

You can see the comparison here: HTC Wildfire S vs. Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 - GSMArena.com
Old 13th April 2011, 13:01   #2694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Galaxy Pop is the Mini.
oh

Quote:
Do you feel the effect of the low RAM? If yes, please point out specific apps that make you realize this. I have just bought the Ace and hence the question.
Yes, it would help.

Quote:
I have used Sygic on Symbian (Nokia E71) and it works without a SIM. Hence I assume it would do so on an Android as well.
Yes it does.

Quote:
OT - can you PM me the link for Sygic?
Done. I've tried this on both Nokia E72 (Symbian) and Galaxy Tab (Android). The experience on Tab was out of this world!
The version is this one.
Old 13th April 2011, 13:11   #2695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Prashanth, Consider the Motorola Defy. In a 15.7k price, it has pretty good benchmarks (1000+). A friend is getting it this week - once I play around on his, will have more real world feedback as well & finally decide on buying it. (Letsbuy + COD)

The Galaxy Tab btw has a 1026 quadrant score, while the galaxy S/SL comes in somewhere at 8xx - Shashank's phone came in at 826. That shows how quick the defy is.

The ace is only 580: Samsung Galaxy Ace in the house! or 572: Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 review: Ace in the hole - GSMArena.com

Do your math!

edit: the htc g2 gets a score of 1769! consider that if your budget allows!
I have decided to wait for the Wildfire S, which I understand addresses most of the shortcomings of the Wildfire. Its been priced at 230 GBP and goes on sale in the Uk from May 16, India release shouldnt be far off that date.
Old 13th April 2011, 13:14   #2696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

You can see the comparison here: HTC Wildfire S vs. Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 - GSMArena.com

At 105g, with Gorilla glass and 512 MB RAM and ROM, this looks like a terrific package. Hope they get the pricing right.
Old 13th April 2011, 14:09   #2697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

There is no update as of now on whether they'll be bumping up the Ace to Gingerbread, also that the nexus s is now in the market for 27k and already runing gingerbread.

Wildfire S is the next edition of already existing Wildfire. I dont think comparing Ace with Wildfire S would be reasonable as the latter is coming with 2.3 already.

Also, I could not find the ICICI imobile app for Mobile banking for the galaxy Ace. the model is S5830.
Old 13th April 2011, 14:16   #2698
BANNED

I will let the new OS stabilise. In the Epic 4G after the official release of Froyo they took it off within 24 hours.
Old 13th April 2011, 15:24   #2699
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
App name - Juice Defender

Free/Charge - Free

What it does - Improves the battery life by killing some process and controlling the GPRS/3G, Wifi based on the mode set. Has an agressive mode when the battery level goes red.

How it performs (your rating) - Improved my battery to around 1.5 times and happy with in on the HTC Wildfire.
I tried the free version of this app on my HTC wildfire. Though it sometime showed increased battery life to the tune of 1.3 or 1.4 times but in reality I felt the battery life had decreased. My wildfire's battery easily last of 3 days with optimal usage of voice calls, wifi, messaging,etc. So for me , this app was a waste. Was not effective at all. WIth juice defender installed, the battery hardly lasted for 2 days or more.
I uninstalled.
Old 13th April 2011, 18:26   #2700
BHPian

Quote:

Also, I could not find the ICICI imobile app for Mobile banking for the galaxy Ace. the model is S5830.
Not sure what you meant by this. But it's there on the market - http://t.co/m9aKf5L

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks