Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2011, 12:31   #2791
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post

I use Windows XP - SP2 - Myphone explorer works perfect for me.
Be careful while editing contacts through myPhoneExplorer. I had some issues 'viewing contacts' in the phone which are edited using the application. The phone just asks for which app to use to open the contact, while trying to view the contact. The only way to solve the issue then is to make another dummy contact with the same name and to link the problematic contact with that.
Old 20th April 2011, 14:18   #2792
BANNED

Samsung Kies is really bad. It did not work on my Epic 4G nor on Galaxy 551. Inthe latter when you ask it to download contacts, it waits for a couple of minutes and then comes back with an error.

Looking at the problems people are having with LG as well, I repeat what I have heard often - Korean hardware is excellent, but the software is horrible.

Last edited by GTO : 29th April 2011 at 16:07. Reason: Removing Mod note, no need for that
Old 20th April 2011, 15:16   #2793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Everything installed correctly. LG pc suite recognised the phone - then I clecked check for software update for mobile phone - it took some time and came back with a error saying "check for update" not ticked - I went to settings and ticked it. The I checked for update again - and PC suite crashed. LGUX.exe has encountered a problem !

why do you need to install pc suite?

you can download the updater from

Mobile Phone Support
Old 20th April 2011, 15:43   #2794
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Looking at the problems people are having with LG as well, I repeat what I have heard often - Korean hardware is excellent, but the software is s&%t.
I said the same 4 years back.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...tml#post370168 (The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here)

Now that Samsung is using Android OS, I thought the software Achilles Heel must have disappeared. I guess they still managed to screw it up.
Old 20th April 2011, 15:57   #2795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
why do you need to install pc suite?

you can download the updater from

Mobile Phone Support
Been there - done that.

The updater takes a hell lot of time to download and then it pops a window in some foreign language - I click to install the USB drivers and thats that.

Nothing happens beyond that and the application crashes
Old 20th April 2011, 16:04   #2796
BANNED

@amurai: Things have improved. It recognises the 551. Kies is very slow. Finally, did what everybody else does. Used GMail to synch my contacts! The general feeling is forget Kies with the Epic 4G!

I suggest they dispense with Kies, and allow/release files for specific jobs. Contrast with the PC/Ovi suite of Nokia. Excellent, stable but slow.
Old 20th April 2011, 16:37   #2797
Senior - BHPian

I sold off my Nokia 5130 Xpress Music, yesterday evening. I'm now looking forward to buy a pre-owned android phone, from a known mobile shop.

There is one sparingly used LG Optimus One P500, for about 6k, without owners manual, warranty and CD. I would appreciate if you let me know whether it's worth buying this phone for the mentioned price.

Android gurus your inputs awaited.
Old 20th April 2011, 18:57   #2798
Team-BHP Support

HTC Aria is so similar to HTC Wildfire S. Did HTC Aria ever get released in India?

HTC Wildfire S is scheduled for release in UK on May 22nd, for E230 or Rs.14800/- I just hope they will release it in India too.

Last edited by Samurai : 20th April 2011 at 19:14.
Old 20th April 2011, 20:03   #2799
BHPian

Even I am eagerly waiting for Wildfire S release. My E71 got stolen the other day . Looking for a sub 15K Android now.
Old 20th April 2011, 23:24   #2800
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Be careful while editing contacts through myPhoneExplorer. I had some issues 'viewing contacts' in the phone which are edited using the application. The phone just asks for which app to use to open the contact, while trying to view the contact. The only way to solve the issue then is to make another dummy contact with the same name and to link the problematic contact with that.
Thanks for advice. However, i have noticed all my sim contacts are missing. Need to work out backup now.

Quote:
Everything installed correctly. LG pc suite recognised the phone - then I clecked check for software update for mobile phone - it took some time and came back with a error saying "check for update" not ticked - I went to settings and ticked it. The I checked for update again - and PC suite crashed. LGUX.exe has encountered a problem !

I have some update here.

I have uninstalled LG suite completely (installed from SD card that came with handset and them updated to latest version) as it was throwing error and redownloaded LG suite setup from LG site -aprx 150 MB. freshly installed it.

Now its working fine :-). Also updated firmware version using LG suite to 10E. it took 15 mins and download was aprx 150 MB.
Old 20th April 2011, 23:47   #2801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
Thanks for advice. However, i have noticed all my sim contacts are missing. Need to work out backup now.

I have some update here.

I have uninstalled LG suite completely (installed from SD card that came with handset and them updated to latest version) as it was throwing error and redownloaded LG suite setup from LG site -aprx 150 MB. freshly installed it.

Now its working fine :-). Also updated firmware version using LG suite to 10E. it took 15 mins and download was aprx 150 MB.
Can you post the link for the LG suite setup from the Lg site
Old 21st April 2011, 09:33   #2802
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I said the same 4 years back.
This problem is generic. I have a Samsung Laser Printer, the disk cracked, so downloaded support software from the web. it was pathetic to say the least. In fact the Japanese have improved only of late, say over the past five years.

Even if they have problems writing software, at least they can test it before releasing.
Old 21st April 2011, 09:47   #2803
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
I sold off my Nokia 5130 Xpress Music, yesterday evening. I'm now looking forward to buy a pre-owned android phone, from a known mobile shop.

There is one sparingly used LG Optimus One P500, for about 6k, without owners manual, warranty and CD. I would appreciate if you let me know whether it's worth buying this phone for the mentioned price.

Android gurus your inputs awaited.
Hi Klub Class ,
it is not a good deal considering the fact that phone is out of warranty. New LG optimus one is available for 8712 rs after using discount coupon maybe you can consider that. Optimus though doesnt have a blazing fast hardware is value for money android at its price point.
Old 21st April 2011, 09:50   #2804
BHPian

@Normally crazy: Just give this a try.
Download Android SDK and java console. After installing both, through android sdk, try and install the usb drivers. Normally an ADB file required is not present in the provided software.
Might help.
Old 21st April 2011, 11:39   #2805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
HTC Aria is so similar to HTC Wildfire S. Did HTC Aria ever get released in India?

HTC Wildfire S is scheduled for release in UK on May 22nd, for E230 or Rs.14800/- I just hope they will release it in India too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Even I am eagerly waiting for Wildfire S release. My E71 got stolen the other day . Looking for a sub 15K Android now.
I dont think that Wildfire S will be available @ 15k in India. Will be much more. You can go for Defy @ around 16k. Every thing is superior in this compared to wildfire except the android version 2.3.

HTC Wildfire S vs. Motorola DEFY - GSMArena.com

Most Viewed