Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2011, 16:37   #2851
BHPian

Android rocks

I have recently bought a Samsung ACE and it is first venture into using a smart phone, was very particular in getting a Android since I heard good reviews on the same .

The first app I had installed was the daily voyager (DVR), a TBHP member had mentioned about the same in the thread “Accident Pics in India”. I was taken away by this application felt too good on using it .Though not being a mobile fanatic, with the ACE I have been really hooked onto the phone.

I had faced issues in downloading from android market, the website complained with the following error

“There are no android phones associated with this account. Please sign in with a different account.”

Can someone help me on how to overcome the problem?
Old 25th April 2011, 16:38   #2852
BANNED

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
If you are running Windows 7 running on your laptop, it's quite possible; else you need to have a "rooted" phone to get it to work.
Windows 7 is there.

How do we do it? any settings? utility for this?
Old 25th April 2011, 16:57   #2853
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Well - nothing worked - the same LGUX.exe error is recurring.

Thanks for the heads-up buddy. Guess am stuck with no updates now. grrrrrrrrrrr
Do give a try to Lazydroid. it will atleast solve your problem partially.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:59   #2854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
Windows 7 is there.

How do we do it? any settings? utility for this?
Great!! then you could install "Connectify" utility on your laptop and there you go.

For complete details, please refer to the following sites:

Connectify for Windows - Turn your Laptop or Smartphone into a Secure Wi-Fi Hotspot

How to Share Internet Connection Between PC and Android Phone Using WiFi | All About Web & Mobile Application Development

Hope it helps
Old 25th April 2011, 20:55   #2855
BHPian

Any Dell Streak users out here? Apparently, an update, 2.2.2 is available OTA. Wanted to know if anyone has successfully downloaded and installed it.

Thanks.
Old 25th April 2011, 22:33   #2856
BHPian

@ sandeep3in, I am getting the same error message in Android Market too! Also I was able to do the sync with my PC 1st time, since then when I connect phone, my computer does not recognise the phone!
Old 26th April 2011, 11:43   #2857
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Samurai san, Come on. Unbox it - show it off. 14 hours is 13:59:59 hours too many!
Ok, here are impression after two days. My very first mobile phone in 1999 was a motorola, a stupid brick phone. Never bought another motorola after that. But this one is a very different animal. Enough to wipe away 12 years of mistrust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Now that I have used it for 2 days, I am mighty impressed. It blows away the iPhone 3GS. Frankly, I was not expecting my next phone to be better than iPhone 3GS, I only thought I'll be getting something smaller.

The moment I inserted the SIM car, the 3G started working perfectly. Then I added my gmail account to it. The next chore was moving the contacts. I exported the Outlook data to my gmail account. Then I started to fiddle with the phone to see how I can import from gmail to phone. I accidently clicked on contacts and was shocked see my contacts already present. It had synced via 3G. This is the first phone I have owned that picked up the contacts before I even connected the phone to the PC.

Unlike iOS, I found navigating around the phone lot easier and with zero frustration. The touchscreen is as responsive as iPhone. It is lot more tightly integrated with social networking. Downloading free apps was a breeze.

So far really enjoying the phone, this is really a dream phone come true. The Swype typing is very cool. This is probably my best phone until now, and that too within 20K.

Irritations so far:
1) Yet another kind of USB connector. Why can't they all use the same kind.
2) Way too many distracting notifications. Need to figure out how to switch off email/FB notifications.
3) The battery is running out too fast even in battery saver mode. Need to fine tune.
4) The USB cover and mic cover are jutting out.
5) No charging light of any kind. Hard to make out whether it is charging.
Right now keeping the background data disabled. That uses the maximum battery life. I don't need to see every personal email or FB comment as it happens.

Last edited by Samurai : 26th April 2011 at 11:47.
Old 26th April 2011, 12:08   #2858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Am facing this issue as well with Exchange 2010. Guess this active sync protocol is not supported correctly in Andriod. The only email application which worked out of the box for me was RoadSync (trial & paid version available).
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I have a Samsung Galaxy S and I have been trying to configure my office mail ID. It is on Microsoft Exchange 2007 server (or 2003?, I am not too sure). It perenially gives me an error which says cannot open for connection or something similar. Tried accessing various forums and could not get any answer on how to resolve the issue.

Any one facing similiar issue here?
I tried many email applications on Ace (Droid Mail, K-9, Native Mail app, TouchDown etc.) Every app has problems with Exchange connectivity (be it MS Ex 2003/7/10). Only Road Sync connects without any hiccup. However, it had a major lag (of atleast 2-3 seconds) while opening the app, opening an email etc on my Ace so I had to uninstall it. I also felt it sluggish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I also hear that the Optimus One is one that is locked up like Fort Knox and is one of the toughest to Root.
Here's a myth buster list of root (un) friendly phones
public:root_friendly [RootWiki]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
@ sandeep3in, I am getting the same error message in Android Market too! Also I was able to do the sync with my PC 1st time, since then when I connect phone, my computer does not recognise the phone!
You need to sign in with a Gmail account and link your phone in it. After that, whenever you search for any app in the Android market, you can directly install it on your phone via the PC.
Old 26th April 2011, 12:39   #2859
BHPian

Defy updates are not yet available in our region, Dont know why ? Check the list here.
https://supportforums.motorola.com/c...ftwareupgrades

Letsbye does not take too much of time. For me it just took 3 Working days. I really love these phone.

@Samurai:- I am sure that u will love the ph. It has DLNA & Hotspot. In KA I believe that you can activate 99/2GB plan. Its quite fast (Voda).
About the pricing you went to a wrong shop. Croma and Ezone is always costly for any electronics. One month back in Indiranagar (CMH Road) shop quoted me 18500/-, while the price was 1K more from the current defy price. Any how enjoy the defy. Also suggest you to register you ph on Motorola site for warranty purpose.

Last edited by Sowmya : 26th April 2011 at 12:41.
Old 26th April 2011, 13:08   #2860
BHPian

Fabulous Android application on my Galaxy Tab

App Name: AutoCAD WS by Autodesk Inc.

Free/Charge - Free

What it does - A boon for opening/viewing Autocad .dwg files on the Go. Not tried editing though it supports it.

How it performs (my rating) - 5/5 (For my use; helped me finalize a major order while sitting at a customer's office. Before other competitors could even view the file & send their offer, i got the purchase order in my hand!!)

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th April 2011 at 14:19. Reason: Came here to post the same app. Added video to your post :)
anilkalvani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 14:15   #2861
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
App Name: AutoCAD WS by Autodesk Inc.

How it performs (my rating) - 5/5 (For my use; helped me finalize a major order while sitting at a customer's office. Before other competitors could even view the file & send their offer, i got the purchase order in my hand!!)
Can't stop myself from Congratulating you!!! Well done.

Yesterday installed the "Car Mode" app from theandroidsoul.com . It takes all the incoming call to speaker mode by default. Useful when driving the car, but the only major drawback is that the app doesn't auto answer the call. Otherwise it would have been perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I don't know whether it is smart dialing or not, but it is very easy to dial a number in my phone - If the name of the person whom I want to call is 'Sunil' then I just need to type in those keys - 78645. With each digit entered, the search results are refined and shown, and it ends up finally in matching names. Works even if the string you want to look up is anywhere in the contact, not necessarily in the First or last name fields.
+1, it's also there on my HTC wildfire.
Plus it also has speed dialing. Goto "phones" on the screen and then press "Menu" . you will see the speed dialing option there . You can select and add contact whom you want to be on speed dial.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 26th April 2011 at 14:21.
Old 27th April 2011, 15:24   #2862
BHPian

Gurus, I need advice on buying a good android phone for 10k to 14k range. Primary usage will be:

making calls
texting
surfing the net
playing videos (links posted on fb, other sites)
camera
listening to music
gaming (basic)

I have read the reviews for Galaxy Ace - not recommended. LG Optimus - small screen size, dated os. If you could please guide me to a good value for money phone.

Thanks!

D
Old 27th April 2011, 15:33   #2863
BHPian

I would suggest stretching your budget by 1K and go for Motorola Defy. It's coming for 15K on letsbuy after applying rcomlsb coupon(Valid till 31'st April).
http://www.letsbuy.com/motorola-defy-p-13040

Last edited by OHCVtec : 27th April 2011 at 15:34. Reason: Added URL
Old 27th April 2011, 15:44   #2864
BHPian

Dated OS? If you mean its an old OS, then you're probably wrong. LG Optimus has Android 2.2(Froyo) which is the latest so far. And you can upgrade it to GingerBread once its out.

Another option is HTC wildfire and MicroMax(around Rs.7-8k i think)

+1 to what OHCVtec said. Saw Defy. It is simply super(from my initial impressions). But I believe it runs on Android 2.1
Old 27th April 2011, 16:06   #2865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Gurus, I need advice on buying a good android phone for 10k to 14k range. Primary usage will be:

making calls
texting
surfing the net
playing videos (links posted on fb, other sites)
camera
listening to music
gaming (basic)
All android phones support your requirements except flash support. I don't think any phone in this range gives you that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
I have read the reviews for Galaxy Ace - not recommended. LG Optimus - small screen size, dated os. If you could please guide me to a good value for money phone.
Thanks!

D
Not sure where you read those reviews. LG Optimus one has the 2.2.2 update, the latest OEM version you will get in this price range at this point in time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks