Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:58   #2941
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Err.. Is it Gingerbreak or Gingerbread? AFAIK Android 2.3 is known as Gingerbread.
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:15   #2942
Senior - BHPian

^^ Gingerbreak is an apk to get root access on android 2.3 gingerbread devices, although it also works on some Froyo devices.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:21   #2943
BHPian

Re: Email client help needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi;
Guys - I need help for corporate email (MS Exchange).

Native Email client - again, doesn't connect
Hi Nishant,

I can understand your pain , I was also very concerned when my native mail client was not connecting to outlook 2010.

But this issue has been resolved post 2.2 uprgade . Now every thing is fine except the calendar is not getting synced up. But i can live with that.

which version of android you are on ?

OT:
Hi DCEite ? have have also upgraded Galaxy 3 to 2.2. I tried to PM you but got a message that your space quota is full and you cannot be sent a PM. :(

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 2nd May 2011 at 15:23.
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:39   #2944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool_Kid View Post
Hi Nishant,

I can understand your pain , I was also very concerned when my native mail client was not connecting to outlook 2010.

But this issue has been resolved post 2.2 uprgade . Now every thing is fine except the calendar is not getting synced up. But i can live with that.

which version of android you are on ?

OT:
Hi DCEite ? have have also upgraded Galaxy 3 to 2.2. I tried to PM you but got a message that your space quota is full and you cannot be sent a PM. :(
I'm on Froyo (2.2.1)
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:53   #2945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I used this page for reference:
[26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers

Downloaded the version 1.2.0 from the same page.

xda-developers

Conneced my phone to the laptop using USB cable.

Turned on USB storage on and copied the downloaded apk file to the downloads folder on the sd card.

Once copy is done, turned of USB storage and checked USB debugging on.

Opened the OI File Manager, browsed for the copied apk file and opened it. It installed the gingerbreak app. (I could see it under the applications list).

Launched the app. It gave the menu option to root, I selected it.

It displayed a message that it might taken several minutes. Waited for around ten minutes. Then found this note on the same XDA Page which said

"[COLOR=red]WARNING: Apparently on some devices the root exploit causes the SD card (internal or external) to be formatted. Also, if it gets stuck but you do see the card mounting/unmounting, try formatting your SD card yourself and try again (or use a different SD card) - often this works[/COLOR] (a fix for both issues is being looked at)"

I could see the message for my card unmounted. Hence I killed the process using task killer. Switched off USB debugging and disconnected the phone.

Then restarted the phone.

Connected again to the laptop, enabled USB debugging, opened the app again and selected root option.

This time too I got the SD card unmounted message, I was about to give up on it and stop the process, but the phone switched off.

Restarted again, installed Superuser and busybox ( from the market). Really don't know the purpose of these apps, just did that from the steps listed.

Installed Titanium back up and recovery app ( market) and then took a back up the apps that I wanted to remove and then uninstalled them using the same.

My phone was on 2.2.2 ( v10E). I got it as 2.2.1 ( v10c). Did not do any other special steps. All the while ( till the reboot) I had it connected to my laptop and it was on USB debugging mode. It just worked, may be I am lucky :-)
I followed the same steps and it was successful. I downloaded a terminal emulator to check as well. Using Titanium backup I have cleared out some bloat ware. Any one has a list of apps in LG O 01 which can be safely removed.
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:07   #2946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
These days I am charging the Defy every alternate nights. I am not a heavy user, mostly 20-25 minutes of talk, some moderate surfing, I even keep the background data on now.
My Motorola Razr v3i has completed 5 years yesterday, and this far has worked flawlessly. I am now thinking of taking the plunge, and therefore am keen on the Defy (taking the Razr's peformance in mind), though I've also got the Galaxy series in my mind.

I'm a novice to the world of smart phones, but after reading this thread, have come to the conclusion that when I buy one, it has to be an Android, instead of Symbian or Windows.

I wanted to know the pros and cons of either, with a budget of 15 to 18 K. I am not a guy who often uses the phone, but would like to do some limited browsing. The phone should support 3 G and also not be affected by water (couple of my pals had big issues with their cell phones owing to getting drenched in rain).

I'd like to know if either phone comes with Android 2.2, and the cost and battery life of each.

Thanks.
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:22   #2947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi;
I'm on Froyo (2.2.1)
oh ok , which make ? ? Have you never able to connect to the exchange ?

My email client was working till my compay shifted to exchange 2010 and my phone was 2.1. This has again started working after the 2.2 update.

then please check the android forums , they should be able to suggest the resolution.

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 2nd May 2011 at 17:25.
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:51   #2948
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
My Motorola Razr v3i has completed 5 years yesterday, and this far has worked flawlessly. I am now thinking of taking the plunge, and therefore am keen on the Defy (taking the Razr's peformance in mind), though I've also got the Galaxy series in my mind.

I'm a novice to the world of smart phones, but after reading this thread, have come to the conclusion that when I buy one, it has to be an Android, instead of Symbian or Windows.

I wanted to know the pros and cons of either, with a budget of 15 to 18 K. I am not a guy who often uses the phone, but would like to do some limited browsing. The phone should support 3 G and also not be affected by water (couple of my pals had big issues with their cell phones owing to getting drenched in rain).

I'd like to know if either phone comes with Android 2.2, and the cost and battery life of each.

Thanks.
You just missed letsbuy.com scheme. it ended on 30 th apr.

You could have got Defy for 15K , home delivered.
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:44   #2949
Distinguished - BHPian

@people upgrading to GB from Froyo: Is there a considerable difference in performance?
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:47   #2950
BHPian

Quote:
These days I am charging the Defy every alternate nights. I am not a heavy user, mostly 20-25 minutes of talk, some moderate surfing, I even keep the background data on now.
With 15 min talking and limited browsing (wifi only) I am getting battery for around 4 days in Nexus S. Just updated it to OS to 2.3.4, because it had fixes in Radio which should enhance battery performance.
Old 2nd May 2011, 21:23   #2951
BHPian

Got a quadrant score of 1686! Battery lasts for 24 hrs, not bad for a 4.3" screen phone.
I love my Desire HD!
Old 2nd May 2011, 21:32   #2952
BHPian

i am trying to purchase LG Optimus one from letsbuy however i am confused as it shows two phones with the same specs however with different price tags:

1. LG Optimus One P500 for 10,299/-

2. LG Optimus One P500W
for 12,199/-

Just wanted to know what is the difference with the two models ??
Old 2nd May 2011, 21:50   #2953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post

You can still get it using coupon ICICILB with 1000 discount. 16.2K is the latest price.
Sowmya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:19   #2954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post

Oops, I missed it! Nevertheless I am prepared to wait for a couple of months.

As mentioned earlier, right now the contenders are Motorola Defy and Samsung Galaxy Ace.

I'd appreciate feedback from you gurus on what would be a better buy.
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:34   #2955
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Samu if its a Li-ion battery best way to keep it healthy is keep it fully charged as much as possible, drain it fully (till it switches off) once a month. So ideally charge it atleast everyday. I keep em connected overnight when i sleep

Most Viewed