Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 19:18   #2986
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Are you talking about Galaxy S Amoled one? Well it was well received all over the world. It was criticized for its poor battery life ( which depends on your usage). It was huge so it was not easily pocketable. It had some minor software issues just like everyother phone has. I read that KIES - the samsung software for managing your phone was a bit messy and not good like Nokia's PC suite.

If you are talking about the Galaxy S-LCD one then I havent read much about it. I just used it for about 2 mins in a CROMA store. One thing I didnt like was its metallic vibration. I also observed this in Wave 2. The original Galaxy S - whenever we used to select a option it used to produce a sound ( a tick sound). The S-LCD one vibrates a bit and kind of feels like metal vibration. Its possible this might just be me. It is better you use the phone yourself and see each and every feature. Following is the GSMARENA's review: Samsung I9003 Galaxy SL review: Through different eyes - GSMArena.com

Please read the user comments section of the review so you will come to know what problems people generally face.
Thanks for the detailed comment.
Some folks are suggesting May end to June mid to be probable india launch time for this phone. Checking out youtube reviews, the phone surely looks nice. However, its tough to tell difference between Super AMOLED and Super LCD. Will have to do some more digging on that.
Meanwhile, if you could suggest some place for in depth reviews or user feedback for this phone - will be a great help.

Read the S LCD review and user comments. I feel (I do not know if I am right), Super AMOLED is a more advanced tech compared to Super LCD. Somewhere it said that HTC is shipping phones with Super LCD as Super AMOLED is in short supply.
Need to make a decision on this.
Old 4th May 2011, 20:12   #2987
BHPian

Re: wierd warning from Exchange server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
How is the battery coping with GingerBread(2.3.3) viz. stock Froyo?
Well, last time the battery info read about 17 hrs from fully charged to drain with moderate wi-fi,heavy app installing and uninstalling(read screen ,memory and cpu operation), moderate gaming and telephone usage.
Next time will put up a screenshot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I use Optimus one with stock ROM. When I set up my office mail ( activesync) using the mail client, it asked me to set up screen unlock with pin as a security feature. Don't remember if there was anything more.

Could you please let me know if there is a link for the steps to flash the cynogenmod ROM?
Well, I couldn't try setting up MS exchange sync with 2.2.1 (stock).I desparately wanted to remove LG bloatware(bollywoodji etc.,.).In the processes I ended up with 2.3.3(gingerbread ,CM7).
Please read up this link to familiarize with general android terminology:
[READ FIRST] [REF] Dictionary for n00b - What is.../What does ...mean? (2011/01/17) - xda-developers

Then, read and carefully follow the step detailed in here:(pls say thanks to that OP ,if you may)
[HOWTO] Rooting, Installing - Android SDK, Custom Recovery, Custom ROM's - xda-developers

Use this app to root your phone safely without downgrading to 2.2:
[26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers
deetee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 21:28   #2988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
True. No clear identification of error. Just says "Could not connect to server". Hene, I tried connecting multiple times, by changing 1 setting every time. It worked in the last attempt!
I just discovered an even simpler way of configuring email accounts!For a change I thought of using the in built Samsung Social Hub and Email app. This was by far the easiest email app that I've ever used on a phone. It is as close to a Blackberry as out can get on an Android. And the best part part is that MS Exchange configuration was literally 3 click procedure. Highly recommended!!
Old 4th May 2011, 21:28   #2989
BHPian

Re:Hiding Notification bar

When I swipe bottom up on my home screen, the notification bar is hidden and homescreens are displayed full screen.When I swipe same pattern again notification bar re appears.
Launcher used: ADW launcher
Android version: 2.3.3
LG P500.

Adding another cool trick:
Login into the android market webportal with gmail account to which the phone is registered.Then you can browse and select whatever application to be installed onto your phone in webportal.If the phone is connected to internet at that time, installation automatically begins on the phone from market.(Background sync needs to be enabled though.)

Last edited by deetee : 4th May 2011 at 21:36.
Old 4th May 2011, 21:56   #2990
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I don't know whether it is smart dialing or not, but it is very easy to dial a number in my phone - If the name of the person whom I want to call is 'Sunil' then I just need to type in those keys - 78645. With each digit entered, the search results are refined and shown, and it ends up finally in matching names. Works even if the string you want to look up is anywhere in the contact, not necessarily in the First or last name fields.
I think this is OS default and not specific to hands .should be available in all androids phones .
Old 4th May 2011, 22:41   #2991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
All Defy users - Are your phones running 2.2 or 2.1 ? And does the phone support flash 10.1 ?
As of now its 2.1 in India but other country Moto is already updating with 2.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool_Kid View Post
Hi Guys ,

rcomlsb coupon is now again working , A friend ordered using Letsbuy.com got it for Rs 151149. How is feed back of the site ? and how much time it will take to get it shipped.

Regards,
KK
Good news. I tried with ICICILB it is giving flat 1000/- discount. For me it took 3 working days to deliver through DTDC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
Hi,

I am looking for an Android Phone upto 15k in Bangalore.

I have selected two phones and will probably pick one of these. HTC Wildfire (12028 on flipkart) or Samsung Galaxy ACE(15400 on flipkart).

Any suggestions ?
Look at letsbuy.com. You may get better deal. you also can have option for Defy more powerful than above two.
Old 5th May 2011, 06:58   #2992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Folks - Anyone has any suggestions for this?
If you use handcentSMS app there is an option to set the font size of incoming and outgoing sms's.

Group messaging is also very nifty.

Cheers
Old 5th May 2011, 09:43   #2993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
Good news. I tried with ICICILB it is giving flat 1000/- discount. For me it took 3 working days to deliver through DTDC.
but rcomlsb is there now!
Old 5th May 2011, 10:39   #2994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
Look at letsbuy.com. You may get better deal. you also can have option for Defy more powerful than above two.
Thanks Sowmya for your suggestion. I like defy reviews on web and it is a good buy with letsbuy.com coupon working. It seems to be a very good phone at it's price.

Wifi issues with defy have been cropping up on web which I assume would be related to authentication supported by router. Defy should connect to WEP based routers.

Review also mentioned a weak earpiece which Motorola has fixed. Link to Motorola Forum.

Only disabler would be phone unable to sync contacts with GMail - My Contacts group - something which my current phone does. Still researching on that.

Android 2.2 would come quickly but I feel android 2.3 would be available after 6 months only.
Old 5th May 2011, 10:51   #2995
Senior - BHPian

sanagg1 - Thank you for your response, does this also work for emails? My query was more for the exchange mail fonts which i have configured using active sync.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
If you use handcentSMS app there is an option to set the font size of incoming and outgoing sms's.

Group messaging is also very nifty.

Cheers
Old 5th May 2011, 12:28   #2996
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1) Any good SMS filter to remove the multiple spam filters , must be able to filter based on keywords.
Handcent SMS :
- Filter all smss that are NOT from your contacts
- Filter by keyword

Also has a very cool and useful SMS pop-up box. (Rather than you having to open your inbox every time you get a new SMS).

Quote:
2) Any way i can club all my games into a single fodler ?
Yes, but on your desktop. Not in your app-drawer.

You could then use something like launcher pro, which would then let you manually hide all the games in your app drawer.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th May 2011 at 12:31.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 21:17   #2997
BHPian

Got my Defy from Letsbuy. Used the much talked about coupon. The phone, Defies imagination. Am loving it. Good battery life. Juice defender extends by 50%. The swype feature is the best thing to have happened to touch phones.
Old 5th May 2011, 22:42   #2998
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Got my Defy from Letsbuy. Used the much talked about coupon. The phone, Defies imagination. Am loving it. Good battery life. Juice defender extends by 50%. The swype feature is the best thing to have happened to touch phones.
Can anyone please throw some light on how to get and use this coupon?Should we pay for this coupon?And is this coupon applicable only to DEFY or samsung galaxy models too?

EDIT: Is the coupon code itself "rcomlsb"?
Also if i opt for cash on delivery,will i able to check the piece before paying the amount to the delivery person ?Does it come with bill and warranty?if so who is the seller of the product as printed on the BILL.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 5th May 2011 at 22:49.
Old 5th May 2011, 22:54   #2999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Can anyone please throw some light on how to get and use this coupon?Should we pay for this coupon?And is this coupon applicable only to DEFY or samsung galaxy models too?

EDIT: Is the coupon code itself "rcomlsb"?
Also if i opt for cash on delivery,will i able to check the piece before paying the amount to the delivery person ?Does it come with bill and warranty?if so who is the seller of the product as printed on the BILL.
Yes is the answer to your edit. Coupon valid for max of 2000 rs on any purchase
Old 6th May 2011, 09:29   #3000
Senior - BHPian

Yes - Sagar.

I have orderedmine too. Will keep y'all posted.

Dushmish - how much time it took?

Other Defy-ers: anyone rooted it yet? I can't wait to put Gingerbread on it.

@Vivek: Not sure but almost all android phones sync contacts with gmail out of the box. Atleast with Gingerbread, Defy should do it. The earpiece issue is history anyways now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks