Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 10:16   #3106
Senior - BHPian

Here we go! The first time I upgraded to a Froyo official ROM, it went down to Galaxy S levels!
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-_mnt_sdcard_shootme_snap20110513_062858.png

Then CM7 worked out was installed. Here's the quadrant scores & the screenshots.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-_mnt_sdcard_screenshots_screenshot_1.png
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-_mnt_sdcard_screenshots_screenshot_6.png
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-_mnt_sdcard_screenshots_screenshot_7.png

Motorola Defy Ownership | FreeRiding contains the exact instructions as I followed. Can gladly walk anyone through if they so want.

@ByDesign: Its CyanogenMod7!
@Samurai: Just finished in the morning. Let me use it a full day & then report. I'm glad all the crap applications are gone. My battery wasn't finishing even 12 hours with all the email accounts & random addons!

Ah damn, can't edit it now, but now its overclocked nicely to 1.1Ghz. And this is the result:
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-_mnt_sdcard_screenshots_screenshot_8.png
So my Defy purchase stands vindicated. Hallelujah!

@Mods: can you merge both posts?

Last edited by Samurai : 13th May 2011 at 11:44.
Old 13th May 2011, 10:32   #3107
BHPian

Android Phones - Newbie question

Hello,

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S LCD yesterday night (20,249/- in Croma, Bangalore). Android ver 2.2.1 (Froyo).

I am a newbie to smart phones (upgraded from a very old Motorola phone).

While browsing the features, i somehow saw a menu for Facebook and Twitter App. I tried to get this menu options back but not able to. I don't remember how i traversed to those menu options. I am stupid . I can't figure out if there Facebook and Twitter app are pre-installed. Help !!
Old 13th May 2011, 10:42   #3108
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

EFFING awesomeness this is! What an amazing Q score!

Boss - you have me all tempted now! Please tell me if I can install CyanogenMod7 on my Ace? It looks so amazing in the screenshot! Been just a month and I'm already bored of the stock Android looks.
Old 13th May 2011, 11:32   #3109
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Nishant - but hold yer horses

This is definitely embarassing - The idiotic phone isn't charging

So now a race against time begins - and in office, when I least want it!!
Old 13th May 2011, 11:58   #3110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
This is definitely embarassing - The idiotic phone isn't charging
Don't be, I am having some strange charging problem myself in my stock Defy.

When I put it on charge, it is fine. But as the charge reaches 80% or above, it starts flashing and vibrating. The charging message comes and goes. Check the video.

When the screen is locked:

When the screen is unlocked:

A window at the top says charger is disconnected. The flashing/vibrating still continues. If I truly disconnect, the flashing stops, but the warning window never goes away unless I re-start or leave it for very long time.

Has anyone seen this kind of problem?
Old 13th May 2011, 11:59   #3111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Wow, that's very fast. Now, how's the quadrant score? There is no motoblur I suppose. What did you gain and what did you lose?

It's not Moto! My Defy is still in Eclair. Still awaiting official Froyo.
Impressive stuff man. I managed to overclock my milestone to 1.2ghz. Absolutely flying now. Will post benchmark results and testing apps used.

Posted via t-bhp app on android (moto milestone)
Old 13th May 2011, 12:20   #3112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
While browsing the features, i somehow saw a menu for Facebook and Twitter App. I tried to get this menu options back but not able to. I don't remember how i traversed to those menu options. I am stupid. I can't figure out if there Facebook and Twitter app are pre-installed. Help !!
If a facebook or twitter app is pre-installed, you will see it in your app drawer (ie place where all installed apps icons are displayed).

Perhaps you saw it in settings > accounts & sync > facebook ?

-----

For all of you guys talking quadrant. Have you seen this ?

The Galaxy S II overclocked to 1.5Ghz :
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-4132011galaxys2quadrant324x540.jpg
Source

cya
R
Old 13th May 2011, 14:02   #3113
BHPian

Re: Android applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
@deetee - I'm also using Go Launcher EX. Can you please explain how to get the 'wooden rack type arrangement'?
Nishant,
Its 'Wood' theme for Go Launcher Ex. You can search for the same on the market.The rack type arrangement comes default as the shortcuts you create on home screen are aligned to each of the three racks.
Old 13th May 2011, 16:56   #3114
Senior - BHPian

@Rehaan: Its like talking of supercar quartermile speeds in a maruti swift shootout. Bacche ki jaan hi le lo
btw i expected more outta the S-II with dual core and at 1.5 Ghz!

@Samurai: Its charging fine now but restoring a whole bunch of motorola applications is causing a separate error with sounds. Didn't I say, its not for the faint of heart?
Old 13th May 2011, 17:31   #3115
Senior - BHPian

The quadrant score application is not written by the guys who provide the root rom?

Just kidding
Old 13th May 2011, 18:07   #3116
BHPian

Quote:

Ah damn, can't edit it now, but now its overclocked nicely to 1.1Ghz. And this is the result:
Attachment 544052
So my Defy purchase stands vindicated. Hallelujah!

@Mods: can you merge both posts?
Awesome job phamilyman , I am following the thread closely and the moment you confirm everything's stable, I'll go for the Gingerbread update myself. Thanks for taking the lead on that one, it will motivate the less daring Defy users like me

Quote:
@Samurai: Its charging fine now but restoring a whole bunch of motorola applications is causing a separate error with sounds. Didn't I say, its not for the faint of heart?
Hope you get everything working fine and document it on your blog. All the best.
Old 13th May 2011, 20:20   #3117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
My Galaxy Ace is running hot. And battery life is not too much also. Is it common?
Oh Yeah, I have been playing Angry Birds a lot. But then I also used to play a lot of "Brothers in Arms" on Nokia E63. It never ran hot or went low on battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Yes, even my Ace gets hot after extended game-play (Angry Birds) or long charging sessions. I'm yet to decipher whether this is normal/common
I have been experiencing this too. The phone is hotter while charging or under heavy usage. I have a battery app installed that shows the charge and temp and it goes to 45deg C often. Wonder if its harmful in anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
My Ace (bought less than 3 weeks ago) is not showing any of these problems, although I do not play Angry Birds... But, I do play other games, and watch a lot of Streaming Videos. I am quite a heavy user (both phone and internet), and my battery typically lasts 24 hours, before I need to charge.
Talk about rubbing salt to injuries! NOM!

Mine was very very dismal to start with. Often had to charge it twice in a day!! Then slowly the novelty factor died down and the usage became 'normal' - 2-2.5 hrs calls, 10-20 sms, light browsing, some games etc. Even under such conditions battery never lasted me for more than a day.

Recently, got rid of the app killer and a few other apps, disabled background data and switched off the EDGE connection totally when not in use. Results are very good so far. Late into the evening and am still at 88% charge! Looks like I'll get a good mileage this time!
Old 13th May 2011, 21:10   #3118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice

I have been experiencing this too. The phone is hotter while charging or under heavy usage. I have a battery app installed that shows the charge and temp and it goes to 45deg C often. Wonder if its harmful in anyway?

Talk about rubbing salt to injuries! NOM!

Mine was very very dismal to start with. Often had to charge it twice in a day!! Then slowly the novelty factor died down and the usage became 'normal' - 2-2.5 hrs calls, 10-20 sms, light browsing, some games etc. Even under such conditions battery never lasted me for more than a day.

Recently, got rid of the app killer and a few other apps, disabled background data and switched off the EDGE connection totally when not in use. Results are very good so far. Late into the evening and am still at 88% charge! Looks like I'll get a good mileage this time!
Do you use juice defender? I am seeing a further improvement in battery with that...
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 22:33   #3119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi
Boss, thats also partly because you are on GPRS and not on EDGE! In terms of battery drain 3G>EDGE>GPRS

+1. I'm also a bit uncomfortable with the extent of information collection by Google in the garb of Android.

Thats what the 'dark side' is all about! I'm contemplating moving to CM7 after getting a bit familiar with Android.

@ritayan - Is rooting a pre-requisite for CM rom? From whatever I read, I think root access is built-in the ROM release?

P.S. I'm still on the look out for a decent email app which fulfills the following features:
1. Exchange+Gmail+Yahoo support in an all-in-one format (ala BlackBerry)
2. Timed push/synchronisation support (e.g. I'd like to have mails pushed at an hourly interval)
3. HTML support
4. well integrated with Contacts, Messaging and Browsing app (to directly call / SMS / open link from within an email)
I use K9 mail client in my desire and it seem to satisfy all needs of mine from a phone mail client. Coupled with swype, it is a powerful mobile office indeed!
Old 14th May 2011, 09:13   #3120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Awesome job phamilyman , I am following the thread closely and the moment you confirm everything's stable, I'll go for the Gingerbread update myself. Thanks for taking the lead on that one, it will motivate the less daring Defy users like me

Hope you get everything working fine and document it on your blog. All the best.
Here's what happened:
a. I ran a batch of "restore all apps+data" in Titanium Backup. It reverted almost all settings/wallpaper/sounds as per Motorola's install - which promptly kept crashing the media thread whenever any theme sounds were required (retrospectively understood).
b. This irritated the hell outta me so I tried reflashing CM7 - somehow it didn't like to use the SD card this time around.
c. That pissed me further, so I used the System Recovery app restored by Titanium Backup. Now CM7's Recovery app is similar looking but quite different & which screwed up the installation.
d. Courtesy quick online support on the xda forum, I understood that my way out was to reflash to 2.2.1 + remove cache/user data, then upgrade to 2.3.4 and remove cache/user data.

Sounds simple. But point d took multiple trial & errors over almost 3 hours inspite of live guidance. Now I am uber confident tho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The quadrant score application is not written by the guys who provide the root rom?

Just kidding
I wish!!

Most Viewed