Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 23:46   #3166
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
The screen is far from crisp.and the quench wont be getting any android updates either
if you want a crisp screen in that budget go for the DELL XCD35.only android below 15k with a 800*480 screen,and 512 ram (unlockable) as well

a 600mhz processor is fast enough for android.what you'll miss out on are 3d games and flash support

The XCD35 also comes with all india MMI maps.so you wont need a data connection while using GPS
what do you exactly mean by 512 ram (unlockable) ?? whats the catch here. what can one do by unlocking the ram.

Can a browser with flash support be installed from market place on dell xcd 35?
Old 16th May 2011, 23:50   #3167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
what do you exactly mean by 512 ram (unlockable) ?? whats the catch here. what can one do by unlocking the ram.

Can a browser with flash support be installed from market place on dell xcd 35?
Well the phone has 512 ram,but dell has locked it to 256.
the remaining 256 can be easily unlocked via a google search

And no,none of the phones with 600/800mhz Omap6 processors can play flash.its a hardware limitation
Bluengel180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 23:56   #3168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Well the phone has 512 ram,but dell has locked it to 256.
the remaining 256 can be easily unlocked via a google search

And no,none of the phones with 600/800mhz Omap6 processors can play flash.its a hardware limitation
i just read somewhere that dell xcd35 is rebranded zte phone and has battery issues and all.

are you using the dell? hows your personal experience if any?
Old 17th May 2011, 00:01   #3169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i just read somewhere that dell xcd35 is rebranded zte phone and has battery issues and all.

are you using the dell? hows your personal experience if any?
I have it as my second phone,Battery life is average,will last a day with heavy usage and two with light.Battery life isnt a strong point in androids anyway

The screen is the same resolution as more expensive androids like the Glaxy S or the HTC desire.and this is a boon while web browsing.

The camera is strictly average though.not comparable to the nokias in its price range

Check it out and compare it to the other androids in your budget.it now ships with 2.2,its the screen that makes it extremely VFM

And the developer support (modaco forums) for this phone is huge,its also officially supported under CM7 so that you'll always get new versions

Last edited by Bluengel180 : 17th May 2011 at 00:03.
Old 17th May 2011, 01:10   #3170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher
I just noticed a wierd behavior with alarm clock. Try this:
1) Set alarm for a particular time. Close alarm ap. Goto task manager and clear memory. The alarm d
Fails to work.
2) As before set the alarm. But this time close the clock app using the standard back button. Do not clear memory. In this case the alarm goes on as usual.

This seems to suggest that android 'Clear memory' function closes even the alarm clock.

Iam on i9003 froyo.any body else has noticed this behavior?
Don't use third party task Managers. As I have stated before, android is perfectly well suited for balloting memory to running/background apps. If you have to use task managers, be sure to exclude your alarm from it. A long press of the alarm inside your task manager should ensure it will exclude it when killing tasks. But my opinion is stop using task managers and killers.

Further update guys. I think I have found my best custom ROM yet. Cronos 1.8.1 for Motorola milestone. Super quick, super clean, super mean, no bugs yet. Also using an undervolting mod. Lets see if battery power improves.

Posted using t-bhp app on android.

Last edited by ByDesign : 17th May 2011 at 01:14.
Old 17th May 2011, 01:30   #3171
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
Not sure what happened suddenly, I was using it a while back and had uninstalled it. Installed it again and tried, but facing the same problem, "not able to find the server". Will try few more options and get back to you. There is some discussion on the same in the forum mentioned below ES File Explorer - Page 2 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
well, i quit ES Explorer. Used it after 5 hours and i was able to connect to my laptop. Only thing i did was disabled firewall. i have no idea how it happened but was successful.

seems to be working good now.
Old 17th May 2011, 01:41   #3172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher View Post
I just noticed a wierd behavior with alarm clock. Try this:

This seems to suggest that android 'Clear memory' function closes even the alarm clock.

Iam on i9003 froyo.any body else has noticed this behavior?
i have i897 on froyo. i don't face the problem. I use advance task killer and in built task manager. in task manager, i always do level 1 & 2 clear memory. alarm still goes off.

don't know which one you use.
Old 17th May 2011, 07:30   #3173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle

i have i897 on froyo. i don't face the problem. I use advance task killer and in built task manager. in task manager, i always do level 1 & 2 clear memory. alarm still goes off.

don't know which one you use.
I use the builtin task manager.
Old 17th May 2011, 09:53   #3174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
LG PC suite doent work for me even after latest update. I am using windows 7.

What is your operating system? as My Phone Explorer is also not working for me
I tried MPE in Windows 7 (Starter) on my netbook. Doesnt work well. On my office PC (Win XP SP2) it works flawless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Be careful while editing contacts through myPhoneExplorer. I had some issues 'viewing contacts' in the phone which are edited using the application. The phone just asks for which app to use to open the contact, while trying to view the contact. The only way to solve the issue then is to make another dummy contact with the same name and to link the problematic contact with that.
I didn't have any such issue. Just yesterday, I created few contacts on the PC and was able to view them perfectly fine on the phone. Maybe you installed another app? Because when there is a competing app in addition to the system app (e.g. Go SMS and stock Messaging app), it asks you to choose which one to use.

@amit_mechengg - You could check out Samsung Galaxy Ace and buy it from www.letsbuy.com using the 'RCOMLSB' coupon code to get it around 13k

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 17th May 2011 at 09:57.
Old 17th May 2011, 17:12   #3175
BHPian

From losing a phone to buying a new one

"You know? I lost my 12K phone, just like that.. carelessness. And my wifey is not happy about that. So I am going to buy a basic phone for now" told to my friend Rakesh who came with me to the moble showroom.

After entering the showroon, I was just gazing upon the "Basic Phones" section and could not find anything impressive. All the specs were dull, boring and having used the touch phone for over 6 months, going back to a basic phone seemed a bit stone-age to me. So I decided to increase my budget.

I said "Hey Rakesh, I feel I should go for a better phone. Not something basic"

My friend said "Okay they have a Live demo showroom beneath this floor. Let's go there"

After reaching that floor I glanced upon the live pieces and squared upon a Nokia Bar phone and a Samsung bar phone. The budget reached 5K. But then, my heart did not feel quite satisfied. The phones are okay, but just okay. The app support, display size etc did not inspire the buy-it-now feeling. But the brain was screaming "This is more than enough.. you have already lost a 12k phone. Just go with this.. go, go, pack this phone".

It was a tough fight between heart and mind. Finally the heart won.. and I decided to go for a better phone. By this time Rakesh was laughing at my ever increasing budget.

So then I glanced upon this Nokia C3-05 @ Rs.9.6k , which looked really slim, cute and had good features. But the OS was the crappy Symbian V3 and display features a stupid resistive screen. The sales girl was clever and showed me 3 samsung phones (a Fit, a wave-look-alike, and another one) which are of the same budget range 10-11k, featuring capacitive touch and better features than Nokia C3-05.

I have never spent so much time selecting a phone. I was standing there for nearly 10 mins, thinking about which one to choose? I was evaluating their features, specs etc and the sales girl and Rakesh became restless. Still I could never reach a conclusion. Suddenly out of the blue, I chose Samsung Fit (white color), and both of them smiled.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-samsungfit.jpg

Quick Review
Samsung Galaxy Fit (i5670) is a entry level Android phone the sells around 10k budget. It features a 3 inch display with capacitive touch, which works better than my previous Samsung Galaxy 3. Though it is large, the resolution is a huge let down. Just 320x240. If you have good eye-vision you can see the visible pixels and count them with your naked eye!

It is slim and good to hold. Runs on a 1350 battery and the battery withstands average usage for upto 2 days. It has all the required connectivities from Wifi, BT and 3G. The OS is Android Froyo, (2.2) which is leaps ahead than Android 2.1 in terms of performance, power management and features. An analogy on performance could be like - Android 2.2 is Alto with K10 engine and Android 2.1 is Alto with F8D engine.

The features and long list of jazzy features are available in many discussion forums and review websites. So I'll skip them and present the pros and cons I feel.

Pros
- Android 2.2
- large display (easy on eyes for elder people)
- light weight
- better battery
- Good performance
- 5 MP camera (but average quality)
- resistive touch

Cons
- OS Locked. You cannot upgrade OS.
- Under par display resolution (320x240)
- 600 mhz processor
- No native DivX support

Conclusion
On a general note, this is a very good entry level android phone for those who are looking for a no-nonsense smartphone. But for expert users and quality concious, this should be best avoided as there is no option to upgrade the OS.

Last edited by rajeshsundaram : 17th May 2011 at 17:17.
rajeshsundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 17:32   #3176
BHPian

Good choice, even I was faced with a similar dilemma recently when I lost my year old E71 due to my carelessness. Decided to use the basic backup phone for at least 6 months, however could not resist my temptation and got myself a shiny new Defy . Enjoy your phone.
OHCVtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 19:06   #3177
Senior - BHPian

@rajeshsundaram, good that you ended up with a good phone. But one suggestion I always give is: Decide which phone to buy before going to the showroom.

The reason is, we have very little data to really judge the phone from the showroom data. Spec sheet is one thing, real world performance is another. Remember the bullet-proof quality of Nokia 1100? The early BlackBerries? The iPhone? Real world performance comes from (a) real user reviews and (b) expert reviews like Engadget and CNET. I would say, specifications come only after these. Once we compare all phones in the budget range, examine each w.r.t specs, user reviews & expert ratings, we can walk into a showroom that offers the best price and buy it. Personally I am not a fan of buying phones online (in India), yet. Call it prejudice, but I have burnt my fingers with defective electronic goods being delivered when buying online.

Usually when we buy a phone taking a split second decision in the showroom and come back home, there are high chances we could be left with the feeling, "Maybe I should have gone for ____________ instead".

Just like cars
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 19:39   #3178
Senior - BHPian

galaxy s2 released?
Indiaplaza priced it @ 40k !!
Ridiculous.
Old 17th May 2011, 22:08   #3179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
galaxy s2 released?
Indiaplaza priced it @ 40k !!
Ridiculous.
It aint that bad. I paid 32k for my Motorola Milestone, with 2 years extd. warranty. I got totally ripped off. Well not per se, but considering you can get phones much faster and higher end than a milestone/droid for about 10k less, its a pity I jumped and bought it.

Anyway.

***UPDATE***
Day 2 on Cronos 1.8.1 ROM on my milestone. Battery life has shown significant improvement. I've finished 24 hours with 30% battery left! I'm so happy with this now. Watched TV series on my phone, played GBA Roms, SNES Roms, had about 5 to 6 calls easily, sent and received sms's etc. I never used to be able to go above 24 hours without ending in the red. I recommend the Cronos 1.8.1 ROM for your Moto Milestone!
Old 17th May 2011, 22:22   #3180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
It aint that bad. I paid 32k for my Motorola Milestone, with 2 years extd. warranty. I got totally ripped off. Well not per se, but considering you can get phones much faster and higher end than a milestone/droid for about 10k less, its a pity I jumped and bought it.

Anyway.

***UPDATE***
Day 2 on Cronos 1.8.1 ROM on my milestone. Battery life has shown significant improvement. I've finished 24 hours with 30% battery left! I'm so happy with this now. Watched TV series on my phone, played GBA Roms, SNES Roms, had about 5 to 6 calls easily, sent and received sms's etc. I never used to be able to go above 24 hours without ending in the red. I recommend the Cronos 1.8.1 ROM for your Moto Milestone!
Its not even the 1.2ghz dual core processor and instead we get 1ghz dual core and only 16 gb version.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks