Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2011, 14:22   #3301
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android applications (Apps)

I was doing PC control with unified remote etc., but I guess over the internet its wonderful. I presume you are using a dyndns kind of server on your PC, unless you have static IP and do not need that.
Old 25th May 2011, 14:23   #3302
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i am running 2.2 froyo. so i think i should be able to install aplications on SD card.
When i go to Settings> applications > manage applications, i can only transfer some of the programs to SD card by clicking on Move to SD card option. However for some applications this option is deactivated.

Due to this now if i try to install any application i get a message no space for installation.

while installing any application i dont get option to choose between install on phone and install and SD card.

What needs to be changed/modified here so that i can install applications on the SD card?

App Install Location | Android Developers

This is an useful article that I came across recently. The essence is you cannot move all apps to SD card using the normal utilities and in some cases you should not be doing it.
Old 25th May 2011, 14:40   #3303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The grand daddy of all android phones is being officially launched today -

Samsung Galaxy SII now available at Letsbuy.com @ pre order price of Rs. 32830
Buy Samsung Galaxy SII (Preorder Now) at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

oops... sold out as soon as it opened... this is the phone to have!!!
This model will have 16GB memory, 1.2 GHz Exynos processor with Super AMOLED Plus display. Those of you waiting for the NFC hardware in the device, Indian version will feature NFC chip.

Sansung launches Galaxy S2 in India for INR 32890 | AndroidOS.in
Old 25th May 2011, 15:00   #3304
BHPian

So, now there's an entire wave against HTC. Please go ahead and support the cause (ask HTC to unlock its bootloaders).

HTC | Facebook
HTC Bootloaders and NAND | groubal complaints

HTC made a formal statement today:
Update on Bootloaders | Facebook

"Thanks so much for providing feedback, we hear your concerns. Your satisfaction is a top priority for us and we're working hard to ensure you have great experiences with our phones. We're reviewing the issue and our policy around bootloaders and will provide more information soon. Thank you for your interest, support and willingness to share your feedback."
Old 25th May 2011, 15:00   #3305
BHPian

Samsung Galaxy S2 on 3rd of June

Hey guys,
The much talked about Samsung Galaxy S2 is going to be launched on the 3rd of June. They're going to cost Rs. 32,890 for the16 GB Version [only one available in India]

Vodafone has cracked a deal where they will start retailing it a week earlier than anyone else...
They start on the 3rd of June, but it'll be available in retail stores on the 9th of June..

I'm eagerly anticipating it...
Its that or the HTC Sensation for me.

Whaddya say guys?
Old 25th May 2011, 15:05   #3306
BHPian

This seems to be Teamviewer for Android. Have downloaded the same & its fantastic..
Old 25th May 2011, 15:06   #3307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am not waiting for 3-5 months Sir for the price to come down. I have been itching to get my hands on my first smartphone since december 2010. But somehow it was a very bad time to buy the phone as new generation phones were going to be launched in jan 2011 and then came the S2 and I have been waiting ever since . So I am probably going to buy this phone at 30k +/- 1k. Anything more and I am going and getting the HTC Incredible S.
Hey Doc, it's coming out for 32.890 K, but there are 2 versions of the phone.
one with an exynos processor [Very Good] and one with a tegra 2 processor [not as good].. Samsung anticipated that they'd face a shortage of exynos processors that's why the Tegra variant.

If you decide to wait for the price to drop, you just might get the Tegra 2 version instead of the game-changing, butt-crunching, finger-licking, Exynos Processor...

Besides personally, i'd rather pay 4 - 5 K more and get the phone 3 - 4 months earlier.
Old 25th May 2011, 15:24   #3308
Senior - BHPian

Custom ROM?

I came across this site today Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

Read through most of the tutorials. I feel I want to flash a custom ROM on my Ace.

So these are the 2 I've shortlisted:
1. The 'official' leaked GB ROM (via SamFirmware), or
2. VillainROM 1.0 for the Samsung Galaxy Ace (2.3.3/lightweight)

I was hoping to use CM7 but Ace isn't listed so I'm not treading that path.

I'll be using "SuperOneClick" for the rooting and the steps as detailed in the tutorial here [Complete Guide] How To Flash A Custom ROM To Your Android Phone With ROM Manager + Full Backup & Restore | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

Anything else to keep in mind?

EDIT - Another well written tutorial for the same http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1034145

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 25th May 2011 at 15:38.
Old 25th May 2011, 15:25   #3309
Team-BHP Support

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 on 3rd of June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Hey guys,
The much talked about Samsung Galaxy S2 is going to be launched on the 3rd of June. They're going to cost Rs. 32,890 for the16 GB Version [only one available in India]

Vodafone has cracked a deal where they will start retailing it a week earlier than anyone else...
They start on the 3rd of June, but it'll be available in retail stores on the 9th of June..

I'm eagerly anticipating it...
Its that or the HTC Sensation for me.

Whaddya say guys?
ITS BEEN LAUNCHED at 32,890!

Only the sales will be from June 3rd for vodafone and June 9 in shops. The launch is over though.

Samsung Galaxy SII Official Price In India Is Rs. 32890 - CrazyEngineers

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th May 2011 at 15:26.
Old 25th May 2011, 15:52   #3310
BANNED

@nishantgandhi; What is bugging me is the attempts of Google to 'close' the system. As per ZDNet they are blocking music/video downloads from units with custom ROMs. Also, rooting is being treated as a security hole for Gingerbread!

I am sure what one man can do another can undo!!
Old 25th May 2011, 16:20   #3311
Senior - BHPian

Can someone throw light on this?
https://opensource.samsung.com/

The site says - Samsung Electronics offers Open Source Codes from various open source communities through this website. It appears to have firmwares for ALL Samsung products, not just mobile phones.
Old 25th May 2011, 16:28   #3312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
How on earth did you do that, clever dude?
...and let me be the first BHPian to ask for a detailed tutorial on the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
Fantastic work!!! Really how did you do it? I always wanted to do it myself but never knew where to get started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I was doing PC control with unified remote etc., but I guess over the internet its wonderful. I presume you are using a dyndns kind of server on your PC, unless you have static IP and do not need that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
This seems to be Teamviewer for Android. Have downloaded the same & its fantastic..
Maverick1977 is right - this is the TeamViewer app for Android. Since the team viewer app is not directly available in the market, someone has put a 'downloader' for that app in market. You can install the downloader, then using it download the .apk file for Teamviewer from the source it suggests, and install TeamViewer.

You have to run TeamViewer on PC too. If your PC is behind a proxy (like in many offices), you have to configure the proxy server address and port in it so that it becomes ready to connect from any TeamViewer client over internet. Just type in the ID (9 digit number) and the PIN in TeamViewer app in your phone and you get the desktop. It's really simple.

Last edited by clevermax : 25th May 2011 at 16:32.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 16:48   #3313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
Read on ZDNet that Google is trying to stop rootiing. Apparently they are blocking access to to movie downloads to users with custom ROMs. Also, read somewhere that Gingerbread will be very difficult to root. So much for an open system.
I am on gingerbread 2.3.4, rooted. I actually am running a custom CM7 built by BoyPPC from XDA on my HTC HD2.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 25th May 2011 at 16:53.
Old 25th May 2011, 17:03   #3314
BHPian

Here my 7 favourite apps.

1. Tasker
A paid app which is absolutely brilliant. It basically allows you to completely configure your phone (don't worry there are easy guides available) You can do pretty much anything you can think of, for example i have created 3 tasker profiles which
a. Detects the cellphone tower my phone is accessing and automatically turns on the wifi when i at at home or at office and shuts it when i leave (based on the cell phone tower) It saves battery and my 3g data usage.

b. Turns on GPS automatically whenever i open an app that requires it and exits it automatically

c. created a SMS scheduler where i type out a message and the contact, it will will send it on the date and time i decide...no more forgetting to wish people on birthdays, anniversaries etc

2. Itunes Remote
Again a paid app but it lets me control my itunes from my phone accessing the entire library. Great when you have friends over and are playing songs from your computer, you can make playlist on the fly and select the next song to be played

3.Anti Spam SMS
Free
Its a pain getting all those pesky spam SMS just add them to a block list on this app and it will bother you no more

4. Whatsapp
Free
like a Blackberry Messenger for everyone

5. Soundhound
Free
Get to know the name, lyrics, etc of the song playing (like shazam but without its 5 searches a month limitation) Just simply start the app, it listens to the song playing and immediately gives you the result, very accurate with hindi songs as well

6.Swype
Free
Once you use swype, you cant use any other keyboard its very fast and the only keyboard i've felt convenient enough to type with one hand

7.Google Docs
Free
The recently launched app keeps all your google documents (created and received/sent as attachment) in an easy to access app that also lets you edit them
ishaanranderia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 17:30   #3315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Hey Doc, it's coming out for 32.890 K, but there are 2 versions of the phone.
one with an exynos processor [Very Good] and one with a tegra 2 processor [not as good].. Samsung anticipated that they'd face a shortage of exynos processors that's why the Tegra variant.

If you decide to wait for the price to drop, you just might get the Tegra 2 version instead of the game-changing, butt-crunching, finger-licking, Exynos Processor...

Besides personally, i'd rather pay 4 - 5 K more and get the phone 3 - 4 months earlier.
Its coming first with the Exynos processor right? I am going to go get it for 32k. And yea I totally believe in buying it as soon as its launched rather then waiting for 6 months for the price to come down slightly. It will be available from 9th june is it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks