Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2011, 09:06   #3331
Senior - BHPian

Screaming security apps are useless. A good app should mock the switch off operation and still transmit in the background. Anyone who steals the phone will first switch it off right.
Old 26th May 2011, 09:21   #3332
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Looks like the Motorola finally has given the update for 2.2.
Old 26th May 2011, 10:39   #3333
Senior - BHPian

But why bother when you have the Leaked orange Gingerbread ROM as well as CM7. My CM7 has been working without a hitch (including games) since 11 May!
Old 26th May 2011, 12:06   #3334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
as far as i know it is coming with the Exynos Processor first, then if they face a processor shortage, then they'll switch to the Tegra 2... Or then again they might release a Tegra 2 version down the line as a cheaper alternative...

read it on engadet some time ago...

PS. I work for MTV and we've done some stuff for Samsung... so i'm trying to get my hands on it earlier...
Well from what I know Exynos , Tegra 2 , TI OMAP are 3 processors of choice Galaxy S2 is with Exynos but models with other processors will have slightly different numbering there is no difference in features for end users in these models and they will be clocked at same frequency.
Again I will reiterate you will not notice any difference in performance and there will not be any difference when it comes to APKs that will run on the top.
Old 26th May 2011, 12:37   #3335
Senior - BHPian

Re: Custom ROM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I came across this site today Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

Read through most of the tutorials. I feel I want to flash a custom ROM on my Ace.

So these are the 2 I've shortlisted:
1. The 'official' leaked GB ROM (via SamFirmware), or
2. VillainROM 1.0 for the Samsung Galaxy Ace (2.3.3/lightweight)

I was hoping to use CM7 but Ace isn't listed so I'm not treading that path.

I'll be using "SuperOneClick" for the rooting and the steps as detailed in the tutorial here [Complete Guide] How To Flash A Custom ROM To Your Android Phone With ROM Manager + Full Backup & Restore | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

Anything else to keep in mind?

EDIT - Another well written tutorial for the same [TUTORIAL] How to flash and root Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 - xda-developers
Update - Successfully rooted the Ace using SOC.

Guys - inputs needed on Custom ROM!

On 2nd thoughts, I'm not going to go for VillainROM 1.0.

Can I install the SamFirmware XXKPE Ginger Bread 2.3.3 version? It's for Europe region though.

P.S. What is "Custom Recovery"? What does it do and how do I install it?

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 26th May 2011 at 12:40.
Old 26th May 2011, 12:43   #3336
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I had recently posted in BB thread asking for a phone suggestion for my dad. Now it seems tables have turned and i shall give him my BB Bold 3 and get myself an android fone. my budget is MAX 13k~14k. i have shortlisted 2 phones.

1. Dell XCD35 (INR 10,550)
2. HTC Wildfire S (INR 13,999)

which of the above 2 is worth. I have seen the Dell XCD35 in person at DELL store and liked the feel and usage of the same. I saw their videos on youtube and now really confused.

Thanks a lot guys.
Old 26th May 2011, 14:42   #3337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well from what I know Exynos , Tegra 2 , TI OMAP are 3 processors of choice Galaxy S2 is with Exynos but models with other processors will have slightly different numbering there is no difference in features for end users in these models and they will be clocked at same frequency.
Again I will reiterate you will not notice any difference in performance and there will not be any difference when it comes to APKs that will run on the top.

Duude...
Having the same number of cores and having the same clock speed does not mean the performance will be the same.

look at AMD and Intel Processors. Before Intel Core 2 Duo chips AMD processors at the same clock speed would out perform the Intel Processors.

Processor architecture and the instruction set come into play.

If 2 different processors having the same clock speed have exactly the same performance [hypothetically] then they'd have to be exactly the same architecturally. this would mean that you wouldn't need a different Kernel for each different processor.

Besides both these Chips are SoC [System on a Chip] setups where each SoC has a dual core ARM Cortex Processor, a GPU, Memory controllers and an external interface.

Now each and every component plays a part in the overall performance of the phone.

[Caution: The following is hypothetical] Its quite possible that while the Exynos version of the SGS2 Could be better at HD Video playback and worse at gaming than the Tegra2 version is.
Old 26th May 2011, 14:47   #3338
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

[Caution: The following is hypothetical] Its quite possible that while the Exynos version of the SGS2 Could be better at HD Video playback and worse at gaming than the Tegra2 version is.
Actually two GPUs with similar specs on paper can be totally different performers depending upon the game. It all depends upon what instruction sets the game can exploit, and what can the processor give.
You may have set of instructions for doing physical processing(physics) but the game you play may not have the code to exploit that. So basically your higher end GPU will give same performance on that game as a lower end GPU.
So its always to look at real world tests than artificial benchmarks.

Remember, how graphics companies got caught trying to have GPUs which did very well on benchmarks. They tailor made their chips for the benchmarks, and literally got caught with their pants down.

I think next year or so will show us more nude shows.
Old 26th May 2011, 14:51   #3339
BHPian

Re: Android applications (Apps)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Screaming security apps are useless. A good app should mock the switch off operation and still transmit in the background. Anyone who steals the phone will first switch it off right.
True someone should program something like that, i dont know how the feature on the new HTC phones work (they have the security feature in built) but atleast this gives you a chance, better than no security at all
Old 26th May 2011, 15:47   #3340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Duude...
Having the same number of cores and having the same clock speed does not mean the performance will be the same.

Now each and every component plays a part in the overall performance of the phone.

well let me assure you that objective of each of the development team is to ensure that end user experience is same. That can be achieved in multiple ways such as optimizing code more on the processor which does not perform well. Or a top management directive of not giving approval for commercializing a particular feature if it works just on one processor or not exploiting the full potential of a particular processor.

I cant say more on this here but hope above gives you a hint.

About GPU actually I don't want to break anyone's heart but hope you do know that android tool-chain still does not support OpenCL so don't expect multicore GPU ( Mali or Geforce as the case may be ) to be used to full potential any sooner. Yes you can get better performance when it comes to OpenGL ES 1.1 or 2 due to GPU but before release similar performance will be achieved anyway on all targets.

EDIT: Let me remind you that AMD vs Intel story is not same in that case you had a prepackaged OS being installed on both MB whereas the OS and Software will be individually tweaked for the hardware. It is quite possible that you may have a perticular benchmark exceeding but real world usage is different.

Last edited by amitk26 : 26th May 2011 at 16:02.
Old 26th May 2011, 16:00   #3341
BHPian

Amit, will the other versions of the Galaxy S II come with the SAMOLED+ screens ?
Old 26th May 2011, 16:11   #3342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

I had recently posted in BB thread asking for a phone suggestion for my dad. Now it seems tables have turned and i shall give him my BB Bold 3 and get myself an android fone. my budget is MAX 13k~14k. i have shortlisted 2 phones.

1. Dell XCD35 (INR 10,550)
2. HTC Wildfire S (INR 13,999)

which of the above 2 is worth. I have seen the Dell XCD35 in person at DELL store and liked the feel and usage of the same. I saw their videos on Youtube and now really confused.

Thanks a lot guys.
The Wildfire seems clearly overpriced for its specifications. The screen resolution is the biggest let down. XCD35 on the other hand has an awesome resolution and that too at a cheaper price. Its camera however is said to be a let down (I haven't compared it myself). Also, it seems Dell has a policy leaning more towards replacement rather than repair, in case you have issues in the warranty period. If the choice is between these two, the Dell seems to be offering the better deal.
Old 26th May 2011, 16:33   #3343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
well let me assure you that objective of each of the development team is to ensure that end user experience is same. That can be achieved in multiple ways such as optimizing code more on the processor which does not perform well. Or a top management directive of not giving approval for commercializing a particular feature if it works just on one processor or not exploiting the full potential of a particular processor.

I cant say more on this here but hope above gives you a hint.

About GPU actually I don't want to break anyone's heart but hope you do know that android tool-chain still does not support OpenCL so don't expect multicore GPU ( Mali or Geforce as the case may be ) to be used to full potential any sooner. Yes you can get better performance when it comes to OpenGL ES 1.1 or 2 due to GPU but before release similar performance will be achieved anyway on all targets.

EDIT: Let me remind you that AMD vs Intel story is not same in that case you had a prepackaged OS being installed on both MB whereas the OS and Software will be individually tweaked for the hardware. It is quite possible that you may have a perticular benchmark exceeding but real world usage is different.

But in the AMD, Intel Story, Windows itself was designed to run on Multiple platforms..

And when developers are working on differnet Kernels for Different Processors, i'm sure their priority is to Maximize performance rather than Maintain Performance across Platforms.
Old 26th May 2011, 16:34   #3344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
The Wildfire seems clearly overpriced for its specifications. The screen resolution is the biggest let down. XCD35 on the other hand has an awesome resolution and that too at a cheaper price. Its camera however is said to be a let down (I haven't compared it myself). Also, it seems Dell has a policy leaning more towards replacement rather than repair, in case you have issues in the warranty period. If the choice is between these two, the Dell seems to be offering the better deal.
Thanks for the reply. Camera is not a major priority for me when selecting a phone. I use the camera only to click car pics which i upload here

Technically i found dell xcd35 better but some how HTC seems to be a winner over all looking at the other features and capabilities. I have time till this weekend to take a decision. Shall visit Croma and other stores and check both handsets physically and decide what i like most.

Thanks once again.
Old 26th May 2011, 17:23   #3345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Thanks for the reply. Camera is not a major priority for me when selecting a phone. I use the camera only to click car pics which i upload here

Technically i found dell xcd35 better but some how HTC seems to be a winner over all looking at the other features and capabilities. I have time till this weekend to take a decision. Shall visit Croma and other stores and check both handsets physically and decide what i like most.

Thanks once again.
HTC phones have historically reported poor battery life. I dont know whether this flaw has been rectified with the latest model. Dell XCD35/ZTE Blade/Orange SF is a proven work horse and definitely my choice.

Most Viewed