Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 08:39   #3361
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I just downloaded and installed the official Gingerbread on my Desire HD. Now my phone is running 2.3.3. Damn happy lets see the changes.
abhayshanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 09:19   #3362
BANNED

@abhayshanu; Did you manage to root it? If so how? Seems the exploit used by One-Click-Root and Z4Root is blocked? Apparently, ODIN + Custom ROM is the only way available.
Old 27th May 2011, 09:29   #3363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@abhayshanu; Did you manage to root it? If so how? Seems the exploit used by One-Click-Root and Z4Root is blocked? Apparently, ODIN + Custom ROM is the only way available.
No, got the official update frm HTC. Was just watching a movie on my HD when it promted for a system update. I thought its a small patch but after it was over it congratulated me on my successful update onto 2.3.3
Old 27th May 2011, 09:43   #3364
BHPian

The power of social networks

( HTC officially dissolves locked bootloader policy -- Engadget )
Old 27th May 2011, 09:59   #3365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
I just downloaded and installed the official Gingerbread on my Desire HD. Now my phone is running 2.3.3. Damn happy lets see the changes.
Really? I am yet to get this message. Waiting eagerly for it. Checked on HTC India website but see no information about GB upgrade.

Edit: You know what I just checked for updates and can see 2.3 update available. Did you have to backup your data?

Regards

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 27th May 2011 at 10:02.
Old 27th May 2011, 10:13   #3366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
But why bother when you have the Leaked orange Gingerbread ROM as well as CM7. My CM7 has been working without a hitch (including games) since 11 May!
Can you put up a 'dummy's guide' to this upgrade please? I read your blog but many folks, including me, can get stumped in between.

For example, when you connect your defy to computer using USB, what mode should the connection be in? Windows media sync, or portal or memory card access or charge only.. Appropriate selection from this could be obvious to experts like you but to novices it could be confusion.

I will do this upgrade if you help me out
Old 27th May 2011, 10:32   #3367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Can you put up a 'dummy's guide' to this upgrade please? I read your blog but many folks, including me, can get stumped in between.

For example, when you connect your defy to computer using USB, what mode should the connection be in? Windows media sync, or portal or memory card access or charge only.. Appropriate selection from this could be obvious to experts like you but to novices it could be confusion.

I will do this upgrade if you help me out
Motorola Defy Ownership | FreeRiding lists the exact steps and links to the perfect FAQ.

What are you missing?

-> Charge only is just charge.
-> Portal is what you need. Where the phone can be easily accessed.
-> The memory card access does just that - mount the memory card.

PM me your number - let's talk post lunch and understand your exact doubt.
Old 27th May 2011, 11:30   #3368
BHPian

I just got an email from Flipkart that the Wildfire S is now available at Rs 14,510. The reviews I have read so far are positive. My big question remains unanswered though - does it support email from MS outlook exchange like Nokia E72 (Symbian)
Old 27th May 2011, 11:54   #3369
Team-BHP Support

*NOOB* Alert

Please guide me as to which phone you guys think is the best i.e. between Nokia N8 and Samsung Galaxy S I9000.

I was using a SAMSUNG TOUCHWIZ for the past 3 years and am extremely happy with its performance and good looks.

Can't go for HTC due to non availability.
Old 27th May 2011, 11:56   #3370
BHPian

Re: Android applications (Apps)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Are they locking the UI up???
Once you are on android, the user experience should be uniform irrespective of which manufacturer the device comes from. Only hardware specs would matter then. Hence, I think in a way, it will be good for end users to have a uniform (rather than calling it a "locked") UI. But Yes I do agree, Google should not compromise the customisability by any sort of locking.
Old 27th May 2011, 12:04   #3371
BANNED

@Sheel; I will go for the Samsung any day. Nokia is in the doldrums so better avoid them.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 12:11   #3372
Senior - BHPian

I'm getting sick and tired of 'Internal Memory Full' message on my SGA. I installed App2SD so that I could move installed apps to external memory card. However (see the screenshot), it appears that there are no apps on the internal memory!

Now what do I do?

My phone is rooted. If someone can provide a list of stock apps that can be removed, I'm happy to go ahead.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-app2sd.jpg  

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 27th May 2011 at 12:14.
Old 27th May 2011, 13:31   #3373
Senior - BHPian

^^^I don't understand this need for uniformity?! Whats wrong with variety? It would be so boring if all fones UI is the same. Yes, I know you can customize, but still...
Old 27th May 2011, 13:55   #3374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I'm getting sick and tired of 'Internal Memory Full' message on my SGA. I installed App2SD so that I could move installed apps to external memory card. However (see the screenshot), it appears that there are no apps on the internal memory!

Now what do I do?

My phone is rooted. If someone can provide a list of stock apps that can be removed, I'm happy to go ahead.
I guess the screenshot did not get uploaded last time. So here goes.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-app-list.jpg

Also, I was trying to install a custom Recovery using ClockWorkMod. But my phone is not listed. So how do I go about it now?
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-cwmod.jpg
Old 27th May 2011, 14:03   #3375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
Honestly i believe the Sense ui is the best skin of any android manufacturer. The built quality of HTC is also solid, only place samsung has an edge is access to latest hardware (like screen, flash memory etc...the components they manufacture themselves) but there ui is a bad copy of the iphone's.
Though hopefully if google is to be believed all this will become pointless once ice cream sandwich comes out at the end of this year
I like HTC Sense UI but I no longer use it because of only one issue - battery consumption. With ADW launcher I am getting a signficant improvement in battery.

Update: I re-installed the GO Launcher and now trying it out. Better than ADW in all respects, only thing I am concerned about it the battery use. But now they seem to have fixed the battery issue. I guess I'll continue using GO Launcher instead of ADW. So three GO products now - Launcher, Dialer and SMS App.

Last edited by clevermax : 27th May 2011 at 14:10.

Most Viewed