Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2011, 20:38   #3481
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I have a different phone and I have not experienced this before. But if any of those sideloaded apps are there in the market, can you try installing from market? I know the apps were discovered automatically before you updated to 2.2.2, just trying to see if market tries discover it by any chance at least when it's trying to install it again.
I will try that now.
will update after that, and some more solutions that I am getting in parallel (from other sources)

Thanks,

Ace.
Old 31st May 2011, 21:39   #3482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post
Is there any other way to get into the recovery screen if the volume up rocker is not working on Motorola Milestone?
Volume Up is for bootloader - to be pressed BEFORE switching it on. That is ONLY for flashing.

Power up then volume down is for the recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You are welcome. Funny thing is, when I first decided on Defy, phamilyman scared me off it citing the SAR figures. Upon further research I came back to it and bought it. Then phamilyman too changed his mind and bought on himself.

What is the real purpose of this backup? Say I have no data worth saving on my Defy, why should I backup?

Ah, this is nice to know. Should I wait for this?
haha you got me. Your words and then my realization that even the e63 has a whopper of a SAR reminded me that its okay.

The backup helps with everything:
- SMSes
- Applications (titanium backup) esp paid ones
- nandroid backup is for the ROM if you want to roll it back in the future (very unlikely)
- now for me, it will be the hinglish words i've taught the keyboard system!!

CMStats shows umts_jordan (defy) to be 5th and almost 4th anytime now. It is the only unofficial CM7 mod in the top10 - meaning its developed by the xda boys and not by CM7 officially and its up there! Now they do even wvga pics and 720p video which the HW can do, but Motorola's ROM did not support :-) (IIRC)

Its already very stable and within a few days we should get a beta7 or RC released. Then you should go ahead - else there are nightly builds (Index of /jordan-cm7_nightly/) which junta claim to be rather stable. on my part, I am REALLY happy with beta 5.1 but if you've waited all this while - let's see till the weekend. They've been mumbling about for a long while now.

The main page will link to the beta once its ready: [DEV][ROM] CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.4) - xda-developers
Old 31st May 2011, 22:11   #3483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
@phamilyman, you made me order the Defy on letsbuy, thanks Came to 16100. The status still shows confirmed and hasn't moved to shipping or anything though.
Congrats. Do update us when you get it.

It is on the top of my list now, but my mind tells me to wait for the phone to be released with Gingerbread, though my heart is aching for the Defy every day.

BTW, when i saw the price 2 days back, it was Rs 17149. So how did you get it for a thousand bucks less?
Old 31st May 2011, 23:00   #3484
Team-BHP Support

I thought I will take small steps now. For running Titanium backup, Defy needs to be rooted. So I thought I shall start with rooting the Defy.

Damn! I tried using SuperOneClick 1.9.1, I am stuck at Waiting for Device forever. I have enable USB debug mode, unmounted the SD card, installed the boot loader drivers, etc. Yet, the SuperOneClick never proceeds beyond Waiting for Device.
Old 31st May 2011, 23:04   #3485
Senior - BHPian

Guys, am itching to get my Wildfire replaced with the new Wildfire S. I'll need to talk to my retailer for an exchange, as the phone is still under warranty and probably I would just have to pay extra 1.5K for the phone.
Though I have no complaints with the Wildfire for my usage, but readability under sunlight is a major grouse. Also, the upgraded hardware, with better processor, better screen and the Ginger bread OS should be worth it.

@Venu sir: IMO you can look at Wildfire S too for 14.5K approx comes with Gingerbread pre-loaded. I don't know if anyone has checked the Spice android phone that comes with gingerbread, has 4.1 inch capacitative screen and 1GHz processor? It retails at approx 15K.

EDIT : Wildfire S for 13.6K
http://technovision.iw0rld.net/index...ildfire-s.html

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 31st May 2011 at 23:13.
Old 31st May 2011, 23:44   #3486
Senior - BHPian

I upgraded my samsung galaxy3 to 2.2 but still its showing upgrade to recent firm ware for live wall paper. Is this firmware upgrade not supporting live wall paper?
Old 31st May 2011, 23:53   #3487
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yet, the SuperOneClick never proceeds beyond Waiting for Device.
Ok, I got past this problem, some drivers had not installed properly.

But now I am stuck at another point.
Quote:
Getting mount path...
rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0
FAILED
Edit: Great, finally worked. I should have used SuperOneClick for 2.1, that worked straight away.

Quote:
Starting ADB Server...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

OK

Waiting for device...

OK

Pushing rageagainstthecage...
1489 KB/s (585731 bytes in 0.384s)

OK

chmod rageagainstthecage...

OK

Running rageagainstthecage...
ROOTED

Getting mount path...
/dev/block/mmcblk1p21
OK

Remounting system with read-write access...

OK

Pushing su...
754 KB/s (26264 bytes in 0.034s)

OK

Pushing superuser.apk...
1370 KB/s (196521 bytes in 0.140s)

OK

chmod su...

OK

Remounting system with read-only access...
Yet, after rebooting, my phone is not rooted.

Edit: The su command in adb terminal gives "Permission Denied". But I was able to install Titanium Backup. How? Am I rooted or not?

Last edited by Samurai : 1st June 2011 at 01:17.
Old 1st June 2011, 08:14   #3488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

It is on the top of my list now, but my mind tells me to wait for the phone to be released with Gingerbread, though my heart is aching for the Defy every day.

BTW, when i saw the price 2 days back, it was Rs 17149. So how did you get it for a thousand bucks less?
Just search for 'letsbuy coupons'. You will find some. I used rcomlsb1 (15% upto max 1000, so I got 1000 off). I think the guys before me had even better coupons which had expired.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 09:00   #3489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Ok, I got past this problem, some drivers had not installed properly.

But now I am stuck at another point.

Edit: Great, finally worked. I should have used SuperOneClick for 2.1, that worked straight away.

Yet, after rebooting, my phone is not rooted.

Edit: The su command in adb terminal gives "Permission Denied". But I was able to install Titanium Backup. How? Am I rooted or not?
I got a pop-up after the phone was rooted. Try running the Titanium backup,it will ask for root access. If it works, you are rooted.
Old 1st June 2011, 10:09   #3490
Team-BHP Support

The Titanium backup worked. So I guess I was rooted.

Anyway, now I am now Froyo 2.2.2 using the official Froyo ROM for India (SEA 15). Right now everything seems to be working, including 3G.

Edit: And rooted too. I can see the superuser app.

Last edited by Samurai : 1st June 2011 at 10:14.
Old 1st June 2011, 12:39   #3491
Team-BHP Support

The Defy Quadrant score with official Froyo is 1235. Apparently the version I installed doesn't include MotoBlur. But I see the interface to be very similar to Eclair with MotoBlur. I am not missing anything.

I am not restoring anything from the Titanium backup for now. Don't feel the need.

I am happy with official Froyo for now. Somebody tell me what does Gingerbread give over this?

phamilyman, I struggled a lot to get the Froyo ROM installed because detailed instructions for Froyo update was missing. Otherwise, it should not have taken than 30 minutes.

Here is my short set of instructions for people moving from Defy Eclair to Defy Froyo.

1) First root the phone: Special version SuperOneClick:root froyo/2.51 easily! - xda-developers . These steps work for Eclair rooting too, not just Froyo rooting.
2) Install Titanium backup from the Market and backup the entire app + user data.
3) Install the Official Froyo ROM for India (SEA 15): [Flash SBF] OFFICIAL RELEASE | Android Froyo 2.2.2 [SOUTH EAST ASIA + INDIA] - xda-developers

That's it!
Old 1st June 2011, 13:15   #3492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
Volume Up is for bootloader - to be pressed BEFORE switching it on. That is ONLY for flashing.

Power up then volume down is for the recovery.
Ok then I correct my question how to get into bootloader screen without using volume up button
Old 1st June 2011, 13:38   #3493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

Use the coupon RCOMLB1 at checkout.
akshay_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 14:03   #3494
Senior - BHPian

i am facing a strage problem on my android. i have set the alarm from monday to friday at 6.30. it worked yesterday. but today the phone was on charging the whole night.

the alarm didnt ring at all. i got late to the office.

whats the issue here. is it charging or some process shutting off?
Old 1st June 2011, 14:25   #3495
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Just picked up HTC WildFire S for a friend. The phone is nice and feels good to use and hold. We got it for 13,750/- with B&W. The phone is pre loaded with Android 2.3.3.

We just set it up and the installations and configurations for email accounts and all is yet to be done. Shall try to give in a detailed review for the same asap.

The touch screen is very responsive and over all built quality of the phone is also very good. My friend is a average user and hence the configuration and the price for HTC WFS was perfect for him.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks