Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2011, 15:51   #4036
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Sheetu,

Why does it work in cars? Because unlike a phone, a car cannot be hidden inside a pocket. Thus, the window of detection (unless it was a stupid thief) is at 2-4 hours till it reaches a safe house and is disassembled there. There is no time to take apart a huge complicated car, search where a GPS tracker is embedded and disable it.

In a phone, its simple - just take out the battery. Then flash a new software. end of story. in almost all cases.

There's supposed to be the grand daddy of all anti-theft softwares: Theft Aware 2.0

but i am still doubtful. My limited tech brain says its a brilliant product.
Old 17th June 2011, 16:15   #4037
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
But my UE Triple.FI Pro's laid bare whatever was wrong with SGS II's sound quality
I haven't read a lot about the SG2 sound quality or audio hardware, but on the SG1 i installed voodoo sound and could bump up the hardware amp (which is supposedly a really good one). It made music a lot more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I think T9 Trace is much better than Swype.
I've not used T9 trace.

Quote:
I have tried both and T9 Trace is way more accurate than Swype.
Have you tried v3.0 specifically?? IMO its a BIG step ahead in accuracy, and the small sized keyboard for honeycomb is great.

Quote:
The latest features in Swype 3.0 (like horizontal bar for word suggestions, seamless switch between swype and tap typing etc) are all taken from T9 Trace.
Not sure i'd say that. The horizontal bar is more like an android standard (that swype didn't follow initially), and the seamless switching is not really a feature (they mean tap-type auto correction, which is available in several other keyboards too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
I had "lookout" app installed on it and I had also set the Mobile Tracker but no luck so far. Has anyone seen 'lookout' or 'Mobile Tracker' coming to rescue in such situations?
Perhaps you have to wait for a while before whomever has the phone recharges it, or puts another SIM in it.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th June 2011 at 16:17.
Old 17th June 2011, 18:18   #4038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I have never seen so much battery being eaten up by display with my HTC ROM. Even though display is not used that often (Check the screen on chart), it is the main culprit in battery usage somehow in CM7. See how quickly the battery is discharging with normal usage.

Attachment 561453

Looking at the "Awake" times, I think the phone has insomnia... it is not really sleeping properly. Voice calls during this period was just for about 7 minutes in total!
This is interesting. I had the exact opposite experience with about 90min of calls:
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20110617_17.40.21.png

Quote:
Anti theft module and its configuration should be hard-wired in the device. Then it will become theft safe. Why it is not happening is because the user specific configuration cannot be done at factory
Check out theft aware. Amazing reviews and its the equivalent of writing in ROM. What say?
Old 17th June 2011, 18:52   #4039
BHPian

Quote:
Anti theft module and its configuration should be hard-wired in the device. Then it will become theft safe. Why it is not happening is because the user specific configuration cannot be done at factory
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sheetu,

Why does it work in cars? Because unlike a phone, a car cannot be hidden inside a pocket. Thus, the window of detection (unless it was a stupid thief) is at 2-4 hours till it reaches a safe house and is disassembled there. There is no time to take apart a huge complicated car, search where a GPS tracker is embedded and disable it.

In a phone, its simple - just take out the battery. Then flash a new software. end of story. in almost all cases.

There's supposed to be the grand daddy of all anti-theft softwares: Theft Aware 2.0

but i am still doubtful. My limited tech brain says its a brilliant product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Perhaps you have to wait for a while before whomever has the phone recharges it, or puts another SIM in it.

cya
R
You guys are right and I am still keeping my fingers crossed. If I get it back I'd share my joy with you else I'll try and work on some mechanism to prevent such things.
Old 17th June 2011, 20:24   #4040
BHPian

Folks, I am looking at buying an Android Phone with budget of 15k.

There are few phones I liked, please suggest and opine your thoughts.

1. Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 - 15000/-
2. HTC Wildfire S - 13400/-
3. HTC Desire - 15000/- (HTC Desire A8181 | HTC Mobile Phones | Saholic.com)
4. LG Optimus One P500 - 10400/-
5. Motorola Defy - 13800/-
Old 17th June 2011, 21:16   #4041
BHPian

Hi All, Its been 4 days since I am enjoying my defy. After reading through all the threads, my mind is becoming little restless and itching me to try modding the phone. My only questions are, How safe is it to modd the phone? Is CM7 the best one available?

Is there a step by step tutorial that I can rely on?

Any help here is really appreciated. I am a complete noob here.
Old 17th June 2011, 21:52   #4042
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post

I would suggest the Defy. The next choices will be htc and Samsung in that order. They seems to be better integrated with Google in software. Of course if you are not going to root, and do things then choose any. Tray and get a phone with Gingerbread (2.3) or at least Froyo (2.2).
Old 17th June 2011, 22:00   #4043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ah voice dialing. Now that is a good point. like predictive text - which I didn't use till I got the defy. Let me try voice dialing next time. But even to activate it - I must activate the screen (swipe), then click on ADW dialer, then navigate to dialer screen (ok i can save that), then click on voice button - THEN speak.

In that time, if I was driving, I'd have caused an accident. So even with voice dialing I can't multitask
Aha my phone has a voice button (called genius) instead of search one so its a one button access for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

Yeah, but those come nowhere close to true BB/E series QWERTY experience!

Err, boss, I've been on Swype from Day 1. However, as I just mentioned, you cannot substitute the physical QWERTY experience. Typing is way faster and more accurate in the latter case.

That's exactly what I also meant. While driving, if there's an urgent call/one word SMS to be sent, Androids are a real pain. It most definitely requires both hands and both eyes. Plus the number of steps involved (i.e. swiping the screen to unlock, tapping the right button {and more often than not, a wrong icon gets pressed}, another tap to enter the reply/compose mode, swyping the message and finally another tap to send. Phew.

I was way too faster on the BB. Androids have just accentuated my laziness to another level altogether!
Hmm actually depend a bigger physical QWERTY keypad is actually faster than the small ones on BB & e series phones. As for the number of steps, frankly there is a difference of only a few steps.

I think its more of a matter of personal preference. I can launch applications much faster on my Android phone than I could on my BB curve or Bold or E63.
Old 17th June 2011, 22:46   #4044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Defy and the Desire are the toss up.
Desire is can be overclocked a delta bit more but practically the performance is pretty much the same.
Blur vs sense - sense is definitely more pleasing.
Both have exactly the same screens.
The defy is extremely rugged and can take all the abuse you can throw at it. So its good for users who want portability.
out of the box - Desire offers only 200mb for user applications but defy offers 1.3GB
The GPU in Defy is better than the Adreno 200 on the Desire, so it'll actually do as well/better than the desire in GPU intensive apps.

So its Ruggedness + 1200 saving + 1.1 GB more ROM + better GPU vs Sense and bit faster processor.

I would advise defy but even the desire is a very desireable model. Between the two of them you can't go wrong. Definitely NOT the ace or the wildfireS which have lesser resolution screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I would suggest the Defy. The next choices will be htc and Samsung in that order. They seems to be better integrated with Google in software. Of course if you are not going to root, and do things then choose any. Tray and get a phone with Gingerbread (2.3) or at least Froyo (2.2).
Yeah. If you are a bit techie, you can get it to Gingerbread and CM7 within 40-45 mins. My current record from scratch is 35 mins and a typical nightly version upgrade takes about 5-7 mins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubsmart View Post
Hi All, Its been 4 days since I am enjoying my defy. After reading through all the threads, my mind is becoming little restless and itching me to try modding the phone. My only questions are, How safe is it to modd the phone? Is CM7 the best one available?

Is there a step by step tutorial that I can rely on?

Any help here is really appreciated. I am a complete noob here.
Motorola Defy Ownership | FreeRiding
based on [FAQ] Cyanogenmod 7 by Quarx - xda-developers

There is MIUI as well, which is almost iPhone-like and REALLY beautiful. I will try it out one of these days.[ROM]MIUI-US 1.6.10 English [10/06/11] - xda-developers
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 22:48   #4045
Senior - BHPian

How can I sync my outlook calendar with the phone? I want a sync that works on USB connection between the two.
Nokia provided this with their suite.
Old 17th June 2011, 22:48   #4046
BHPian

Quote:

I just bought Spice Mi410. You might like it, Rs14000 on the website.
Old 18th June 2011, 00:55   #4047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree. I have gotten six friends of mine to order from there.

Only one (SUV here) got it in 24 hours. Else everyone took 3-6 days. Even my shipping details were by mail not SMS. Even today my order on their website shows "in process".

The problem is their customer care helpline. as of may it was useless. Never got picked up! Their customer care did not have an IVR till mid May - was just a phone which kept on ringing. Have you tried them lately? My cousin was quite fed up of calling that helpline even last friday (but he got his S2 on Tuesday noon) !!
I didn't try calling their customer care, I got the phone in my hands by afternoon, today. That's 40 hours flat turnaround time, from the time of online payment to delivery from Delhi to Chennai. Kudos.

Galaxy SII's deliveries are delayed because of deficient stock, can't really blame them, I feel.

Cheers!
Old 18th June 2011, 04:47   #4048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is interesting. I had the exact opposite experience with about 90min of calls:
Attachment 561878
where is this option to check whats consuming you battery. is it built in in 2.2 froyo or you installed some custom widget?
Old 18th June 2011, 06:46   #4049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg

where is this option to check whats consuming you battery. is it built in in 2.2 froyo or you installed some custom widget?
This feature is inherent to android 2.2.
Settings-> about phone-> battery use.
Old 18th June 2011, 06:57   #4050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
How can I sync my outlook calendar with the phone? I want a sync that works on USB connection between the two.
Nokia provided this with their suite.
Setup an outlook connection via the "Email" application. Inside that you can choose what to sync - Contacts, Calendar, Notes, Tasks etc. Why do it over USB? More hard work, na?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinblades View Post
I just bought Spice Mi410. You might like it, Rs14000 on the website.
Time for a detailed review with pics? You do realize alot of us are VERY curious about it. Even this can be a decent option except explaining ki "15k mai spice ka phone kyu liya?" to relatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I didn't try calling their customer care, I got the phone in my hands by afternoon, today. That's 40 hours flat turnaround time, from the time of online payment to delivery from Delhi to Chennai. Kudos.

Galaxy SII's deliveries are delayed because of deficient stock, can't really blame them, I feel.

Cheers!
Bhai,

I like how you give them complete clean chit. The delayed deliveries have been in the case of Defy, Galaxy SL and Galaxy S-II. The problem was not the delay - it was about the company not bothering to inform, and not being reachable. Why do they say ships in 2-3 business days when it takes a week? Like everyone says, Flipkart does far better!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks