Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2011, 09:48   #6241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Stock firmware - got it from here - [ROM+Guide]Official i9100 Firmwares KG1/2/3/5/6/7, KH1/2/3/4, KI1/2/3/4/8 Download - xda-developers - in post no. 2

You can flash the stock kernel to get rid of that yellow triangle which appears on boot after you have rooted your phone.
If the purpose is just to remove the yellow triangle than one can always extract the zimage image file from stock kernal and flash it through CWM, one can still have rooted kernal with no triangle.
Old 18th October 2011, 11:05   #6242
Senior - BHPian

Windows Phone 7 is the most stable, Android least stable

What do you guys say? I kinda agree on the stability issues of Android. At least on the ROMs I have used, except HTC Sense based on 2.2 which was rock solid.

CM7.1 is relatively stable, but CM7.0.3 wasn't. It never used to run continuously for at least 3 days in my Desire. MIUI has it's stability issues as well. FC is something which you can bear with but not when Phone freezes altogether. I don't know why, but phone freezes when I take Facebook mobile site in any of the browsers except Opera Mini which renders the pages with a different mechanism anyway.

Last edited by clevermax : 18th October 2011 at 11:08.
Old 18th October 2011, 11:13   #6243
Senior - BHPian

Guys, suggestions for the best android under 15k. My options are the Ace, Defy, Wildfire S, Salsa & ??. I have the Ace currently - its gets slow at times and the internal memory is a problem. The Salsa i believe also has interal memory issues. I still think the Defy is the best phone in this bracket, but this is for my mum and she's not too keen on a Moto. Any suggestions ?
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 11:18   #6244
Senior - BHPian

Nexus Prime launching next month in the US (Nov 10) - Buy Google Nexus Prime SmartPhone - Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
My next upgrade. First phone with Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwitch).

The known specifications of the Google Nexus Prime are:
  • Ultra Thin (9mm thin frame)
  • 4.65-inch Super AMOLED screen
  • Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
  • 4G LTE Radio Ready
  • 1gb of RAM
  • 1.5 GHz Dual Core Processor
  • 1080p HD Video
  • 2 and 8 mp Camera
  • Wifi IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n
  • 32GB Internal memory
  • 1750maH battery
Old 18th October 2011, 11:35   #6245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Windows Phone 7 is the most stable, Android least stable

What do you guys say? I kinda agree on the stability issues of Android. At least on the ROMs I have used, except HTC Sense based on 2.2 which was rock solid.

CM7.1 is relatively stable, but CM7.0.3 wasn't. It never used to run continuously for at least 3 days in my Desire. MIUI has it's stability issues as well. FC is something which you can bear with but not when Phone freezes altogether. I don't know why, but phone freezes when I take Facebook mobile site in any of the browsers except Opera Mini which renders the pages with a different mechanism anyway.
I would disagree. I've used alot of nightlies and RC versions of Defy CM7 and its been stable from day 1. Battery and eye candy were addressed by MS2Ginger and MIUI respectively but now with CM7.1 the battery is no longer a concern and i am back

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Guys, suggestions for the best android under 15k. My options are the Ace, Defy, Wildfire S, Salsa & ??. I have the Ace currently - its gets slow at times and the internal memory is a problem. The Salsa i believe also has interal memory issues. I still think the Defy is the best phone in this bracket, but this is for my mum and she's not too keen on a Moto. Any suggestions ?
The defy is pretty good. On androids, the mfr is not as important as it once was. It does have a sad camera though. Else the audio, the brilliant screen and the responsiveness are damn neat. Spend 2 mins rooting it and it will run at 1Ghz nicely.What does she want it for?

PS: You will need to buy the blackberry curve (13k wala) case to put it in, though - little moto accessories u can find. infact,take her to croma and let her play with the phones.

On a side note, my sister wants to buy this:
Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman - Full phone specifications
She's a sony freak and wants the best camera to take pics of her 1 year old daughter. It also happens to have a brilliant spec-wise talktime@

Ideas? Best android with decent camera?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 11:36   #6246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Nexus Prime launching next month in the US (Nov 10) - Buy Google Nexus Prime SmartPhone - Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
My next upgrade. First phone with Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwitch).

The known specifications of the Google Nexus Prime are:
  • Ultra Thin (9mm thin frame)
  • 4.65-inch Super AMOLED screen
  • Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
  • 4G LTE Radio Ready
  • 1gb of RAM
  • 1.5 GHz Dual Core Processor
  • 1080p HD Video
  • 2 and 8 mp Camera
  • Wifi IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n
  • 32GB Internal memory
  • 1750maH battery
+1 look forward to geting my hands on this or the galaxy note.
Samsung will release ICS for Galaxy S2 once its launched on Oct 19 at HK.
Ice Cream Sandwich launch event: 19 October | News | TechRadar UK
Old 18th October 2011, 11:46   #6247
Senior - BHPian

Is there any iPod like Android device? I am looking for a good a Android device, which is not a phone. Budget 10K.
Old 18th October 2011, 11:49   #6248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
If the purpose is just to remove the yellow triangle than one can always extract the zimage image file from stock kernal and flash it through CWM, one can still have rooted kernal with no triangle.
Yup - was aware of that but I did it this way.

ANyone having issues with Google maps enabled with Navigation ? I can't seem to get it work on the SGS2 ! It simply FC's after a while. :(
Old 18th October 2011, 11:55   #6249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

ANyone having issues with Google maps enabled with Navigation ? I can't seem to get it work on the SGS2 ! It simply FC's after a while. :(
No issues here, Revolution 2.7.1. What rom are you on ?
Old 18th October 2011, 12:23   #6250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The defy is pretty good. On androids, the mfr is not as important as it once was. It does have a sad camera though. Else the audio, the brilliant screen and the responsiveness are damn neat. Spend 2 mins rooting it and it will run at 1Ghz nicely.What does she want it for?
I've been a ardent Moto fan for quite some time from the Rokr days (Rooting those linux phones). Just love the way moto's are built. I've seen the Defy and actually got my colleague to buy it, but now i feel its getting old with all the new launches every other week !

Mom's going to be using it for regular stuff, nothing special. Lets see... the sony also sounds interesting.
Old 18th October 2011, 12:44   #6251
BHPian

Quote:

I have Brut Maps version 4.6.0-Brut17 on my SGS2 and have been using it for a while now without any FC or any other issues on stock ROMs (KF3,KH1,KG6) and on Custom Roms (Litening, Revolution).

You can get the fresh installer from here [APPMOD][07.11.10] Brut Google Maps 4.6.0.4686-brut17 - xda-developers

Hope this helps.
Old 18th October 2011, 12:56   #6252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
i feel its getting old with all the new launches every other week !

Mom's going to be using it for regular stuff, nothing special. Lets see... the sony also sounds interesting.
Its all the same in this price band.

What is the new thing in this price band that offers a vastly superior hardware? vastly better VFM? or anything else for that matter - everyone cuts prices here and there all the time.

What are the newer phones bringing on the table? Kuch nahin. Its like wildfire vs wildfire S had gorilla glass and slightly better res screen. but defy already has all of that!!
Old 18th October 2011, 13:06   #6253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Folks

My data manager takes long to open. Is it due to the size of accumulated data? Should I do some clean up? It has 5+ MB now.
Gurus

Can someone please respond to my post # 6208 or page 414? The screnshot in it shows the space used so far.

Do I need to delete anything? What is the optimum size for data on the Defy?

TIA
Old 18th October 2011, 14:08   #6254
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Gurus

Can someone please respond to my post # 6208 or page 414? The screnshot in it shows the space used so far.

Do I need to delete anything? What is the optimum size for data on the Defy?
You are looking at GPRS / 3G usage. (I am making the assumption on entries like "data saver" and "data delivery" in that screen shot). I do not actually own that phone, so I may be wrong.

For looking at memory usage / utilisation, what you want is Settings > Storage.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 14:12   #6255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
No issues here, Revolution 2.7.1. What rom are you on ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
I have Brut Maps version 4.6.0-Brut17 on my SGS2 and have been using it for a while now without any FC or any other issues on stock ROMs (KF3,KH1,KG6) and on Custom Roms (Litening, Revolution).

You can get the fresh installer from here [APPMOD][07.11.10] Brut Google Maps 4.6.0.4686-brut17 - xda-developers

Hope this helps.
I am on the Stock Rom - rooted with Cf-root.

I tried using the Maps V5.10.1 - but it used to FC. I tried with root explorer and pasted the app in the /system/apps directory and changed permissions too - still it FC. Thank God I had taken a backup of the Original G Maps in TB - restored that.

I need that navigation to work - any ideas ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks