Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2011, 00:45   #6406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

^^^Yeah, subscribe to a plan and you will most likely not get the notifications. Had the same issue on my Docomo.
Old 31st October 2011, 02:11   #6407
BHPian

Using a HTC Desire Z
Android Gingerbread 2.3.3
Not Rooted
Bought purely for 1 simple reason - I NEED a physical QWERTY keyboard.

I wish to suggest a few apps :
(Found in the market)

Ulysee Speedometer - Just try it T-Bhpians - we will all LOVE it for sure !
(needs GPS lock - mount on your car kit & enjoy)

BlueStack App Player & Cloud Connect
(Lets you use most of your Android Apps on your Windows PC ! - YES you read that right!
Full screen apps - including games - on your Windows PC !)
I have successfully used on my 17" Dell Vostro with Win 7 & my 10.1" HP mini210 with Win Xp - perfect !

Does use a bit of RAM - & frankly the mouse is no match for your finger - but still.

I have a collection of 400+ apps.
Shall keep posting here bit by bity - & only really useful stuff.
Old 31st October 2011, 08:30   #6408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj

I have a collection of 400+ apps.
Shall keep posting here bit by bity - & only really useful stuff.
How are you running 400+ apps in your unrooted desire z? Or your are running it in windows like you said?

Last edited by clevermax : 31st October 2011 at 08:31.
Old 31st October 2011, 23:39   #6409
BHPian

Guys, help me chose a device.

I am in the market for new cellphone. My budget is around 15K. The main requirements are big screen, preferably, 3.7 inch one with high resolution and a decent processor. As discussed in this thread, Motorola Defy perfectly fit the bill. So to get a first hand experience, I went to Croma. I tried Defy and as there were other phones too, I picked up Desire S. In the little time that I spent with these two devices, I felt Desire S was much smoother, GUI wise and looked elegant. Comparatively, Defy was looking dull and GUI response did not appeal me much. But Desire S is priced upwards of 20K hence left it at that.

But after reading on the net and on this forum, I think Defy needs the CM7 (sorry I am new to rooting and other stuff) to get good GUI response. So I had nearly made my mind to get Defy when I came across Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V. It is at 17.5K on the flipkart. I could stretch a bit to get this but I have not tried it first hand.

So guys what do you think I should buy? Anyone using Neo V? How is it?
Old 1st November 2011, 01:56   #6410
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to disable email notification sound for individual accounts?

Like i have 2 gmail account. I want notification sound for 1 email account and not for another. is it possible?
Old 1st November 2011, 02:00   #6411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post

Like i have 2 gmail account. I want notification sound for 1 email account and not for another. is it possible?
I had the same problem.
I ended up changing second one to manual update and linked it to me turning on the phone. So if I don't touch the phone the whole day, I don't get any notification from email 2.

BUT, I did it on windows mobile. there must be triggers for android to achieve the same.
Old 1st November 2011, 02:20   #6412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
How are you running 400+ apps in your unrooted desire z? Or your are running it in windows like you said?
Well - I don't know 'how'

But I am.

Infact it was 427.

Recently deleted some & brought it down to 393.

Is there a 'limitations' on apps on un-rooted phones?

I fiddle a LOT with the settings & despite all the apps - my phone has not slowed down.

I will try & post a screenshot of the same.

Or better still - get a text file generated from Share your apps & post it here.
Old 1st November 2011, 02:55   #6413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Guys, help me chose a device.

I am in the market for new cellphone. My budget is around 15K. The main requirements are big screen, preferably, 3.7 inch one with high resolution and a decent processor. As discussed in this thread, Motorola Defy perfectly fit the bill. So to get a first hand experience, I went to Croma. I tried Defy and as there were other phones too, I picked up Desire S. In the little time that I spent with these two devices, I felt Desire S was much smoother, GUI wise and looked elegant. Comparatively, Defy was looking dull and GUI response did not appeal me much. But Desire S is priced upwards of 20K hence left it at that.

But after reading on the net and on this forum, I think Defy needs the CM7 (sorry I am new to rooting and other stuff) to get good GUI response. So I had nearly made my mind to get Defy when I came across Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V. It is at 17.5K on the flipkart. I could stretch a bit to get this but I have not tried it first hand.

So guys what do you think I should buy? Anyone using Neo V? How is it?
First off, congratulations. You have clearly experienced something which I cannot drill into many people's heads - the beauty of the HTC construction and the awesome Sense UI

Now let me give you a caveat - CM7 or MIUI or the other custom ROMs are nice, but Sense is in a different league altogether. Check with local friends who have other ROMs or see the screenshots on XDA to make up your mind.

With defy - it takes about 30-60 mins from scratch to install custom ROMs - i can guide you in case you need help. of course, the phone is snappy out of the box and its UI is ofc not as great but otherwise total VFM.

and yes, sony's phone camera should anyday be better than the defy. rest i'm not aware of/have tried,
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 03:00   #6414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I had the same problem.
I ended up changing second one to manual update and linked it to me turning on the phone. So if I don't touch the phone the whole day, I don't get any notification from email 2.

BUT, I did it on windows mobile. there must be triggers for android to achieve the same.
I can't do it manually since its the account that gets like 2k-3k email a day. So need it to sync auto. So that is why i have turn off its notification else it gets too disturbing.

Last edited by chevelle : 1st November 2011 at 03:05.
Old 1st November 2011, 03:16   #6415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
I have a quick question. I want to invest in a good set of headsets that are compatible with my Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000. I have looked at many but I have not received positive feedback about it's compatibility. I am awaiting confirmation about the Klipsch S4A, but then again there are news doing rounds that it is not compatible. Can I get a list of GOOD Headsets that are compatible
Can Anyone please answer this?
Old 1st November 2011, 03:54   #6416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle

Gmail app. Settings then click on that Gmail account n.click on notification.
Old 1st November 2011, 09:37   #6417
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Get the 99 internet plan.no notifications
Obviously I know that moving to post paid will get rid of notification messages. But the post here was to find a way to switch off or limit the notification from android itself, if anything like that is possible.
Old 1st November 2011, 10:45   #6418
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
I am having an annoying problem with my galaxy ace with froyo. I am on prepaid connection. So, everytime any app accesses the internet I get a notification from provider (last call charges, balance). The problem is if I do not use the phone for some time, several of these notification is received. And I cannot answer the call unless all the notifications are closed. Eg: if I dont use my phone for an hour, there will be around 10 notification, and if someone calls me, I have to press "OK" on the notification and close all the 10, by the time I would miss the call. Any solution to this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Get the 99 internet plan.no notifications
C'mon seriously that is not a solution - this is stupid UI design by the development team(s). I suddenly remembered this is exactly a HUGE problem with my iPod Touch 32GB. Since I use it very rarely for a few minutes in a month, all my pending calendar notifications keep popping up and the device becomes totally useless unless I keep tapping 50 or 100 times on the screen like a mechanical pecker. I have not switched on my iPod in 6 months because I anticipate more than 30 mins of tapping effort before I can navigate to the settings screen and turn off notifications!!

This is dumb-*** brainless twit UI design by Apple and all other phone companies surely!

On another topic Guys,

I just realised one other important requirement - I want to connect my DSLR/P&S directly to my android phone and download pictures for backup on a 32GB card in the device slot. Since I will want to view the pics later, I will need a 4" or greater screen with hi-res.

Do any of these android devices in the market allow becoming a USB host master and read a camera like a storage disc? With Android custom rom hacks maybe? And do the custom rom hacks allow the maximum capacity of 32GB?

Thanks
--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 1st November 2011 at 10:47.
Old 1st November 2011, 10:56   #6419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Obviously I know that moving to post paid will get rid of notification messages. But the post here was to find a way to switch off or limit the notification from android itself, if anything like that is possible.
Its available on prepaid too.And no no setting so far,its annoying as the message stays there asking you to save it
Old 1st November 2011, 11:09   #6420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Well - I don't know 'how'
But I am.
Infact it was 427.
Recently deleted some & brought it down to 393.
Is there a 'limitations' on apps on un-rooted phones?
Yes, if your /data partition is limited in storage space, like how mine was - it had only 147MB. I could not install more than 50 or 60 apps in it even by moving whatever was possible to sd card.

Mine is rooted and S-OFF now and I have another partition in Sd card to keep the apps. Changed the partition sizes of the internal memory thereby increasing 147 to 288MB. Had posted a screenshot on how I keep my apps now, couple of pages back.

Yours is having 1.5 GB internal memory so you can install tons of apps without rooting and taking the help of A2SD+ or something similar. By having a 2GB ext3 partition in my sd card, I can install more apps than what you have, if needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Do any of these android devices in the market allow becoming a USB host master and read a camera like a storage disc? With Android custom rom hacks maybe? And do the custom rom hacks allow the maximum capacity of 32GB?
Thanks
--Ragul
Not any current Android versions that I know of, I think ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) will answer this requirement, as it can already support USB game controllers & HDMI!

People will be hooking up their ICS phones to their TVs and playing games using game controllers in near future.

Last edited by clevermax : 1st November 2011 at 11:15.
clevermax is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed