Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 15:28   #6436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Which phones did you consider while buying Neo V? Did you compare it with any of the HTC models? If yes, what was your impression?

I rarely use phone camera so it would not be a big factor in the decision making.
My List was endless!!
From the S2 to the 4S!
But certain phones stood out because of the cost to features ratio.
example
The Neo V,
The Xperia Pro,
The Galaxy Plus,
and Even the Little Champ the Galaxy Y.

But the Design of the Neo blew me away,IMO its one of the best looking phones out there.
But, The screen is pretty good to many , but in no way better than my Original S8500 Samsung Wave's Super AMOLED.
Old 1st November 2011, 17:25   #6437
Senior - BHPian

Can you guys tell me a good sync app for sgs2? Myphoneexplorer is one thing i am looking at. I want to sync Outlook contacts and tasks specifically

I hate the samsung Kies. A junk software anyday.
Old 1st November 2011, 23:54   #6438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
C'mon seriously that is not a solution - this is stupid UI design by the development team(s). I suddenly remembered this is exactly a HUGE problem with my iPod Touch 32GB. Since I use it very rarely for a few minutes in a month, all my pending calendar notifications keep popping up and the device becomes totally useless unless I keep tapping 50 or 100 times on the screen like a mechanical pecker. I have not switched on my iPod in 6 months because I anticipate more than 30 mins of tapping effort before I can navigate to the settings screen and turn off notifications!!

This is dumb-*** brainless twit UI design by Apple and all other phone companies surely!

On another topic Guys,

I just realised one other important requirement - I want to connect my DSLR/P&S directly to my android phone and download pictures for backup on a 32GB card in the device slot. Since I will want to view the pics later, I will need a 4" or greater screen with hi-res.

Do any of these android devices in the market allow becoming a USB host master and read a camera like a storage disc? With Android custom rom hacks maybe? And do the custom rom hacks allow the maximum capacity of 32GB?

Thanks
--Ragul
Absolutely correct - this is a STUPID setting by the OS manufacturers.

But I guess what comes into play here - is that these phones are not India centric - where this whole prepaid notification system exists.

Maybe?
Right?

Coz I have a Nokia phone (& again this stupid nonsense not present in ALL nokia models) - whereby - whenever this Prepaid Notification pops up - it plays the whole SMS tone!

BLODDY irritating.

In response to your last bit - what you are referring to - should NOW be a BASIC function in all mobile OSes - since they all use above 1Ghz processor - that you can connect any media to it via an adaptor.

SADLY - it is NOT !

Except for the Nokia N8 & E7 - where you can directly connect a pen drive to your phone - & using the file manager access all the contents of the pen drive and make any changes required.

This will improve productivity beyond imagination!

No middle-man PC required!

Sadly - not implemented universally.
NO app or crack available on Android to the best of my knowledge.

(I think it has something to do with each OS & their filing system)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Yes, if your /data partition is limited in storage space, like how mine was - it had only 147MB. I could not install more than 50 or 60 apps in it even by moving whatever was possible to sd card.

Mine is rooted and S-OFF now and I have another partition in Sd card to keep the apps. Changed the partition sizes of the internal memory thereby increasing 147 to 288MB. Had posted a screenshot on how I keep my apps now, couple of pages back.

Yours is having 1.5 GB internal memory so you can install tons of apps without rooting and taking the help of A2SD+ or something similar. By having a 2GB ext3 partition in my sd card, I can install more apps than what you have, if needed

Not any current Android versions that I know of, I think ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) will answer this requirement, as it can already support USB game controllers & HDMI!

People will be hooking up their ICS phones to their TVs and playing games using game controllers in near future.

PERFECT!

On both counts.

I totally agree.

Coz the same is not possible on the HTC ChaCha I have - but working brilliantly on the Desire Z.

Yes - .... EAGERLY looking forward to ICS.

Time to make the smart phone - smarter !

Soon we shall say ...

Hey this thing in my hand ... its not a phone! ... It ALSO makes phone calls - apart from the other things it does.

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd November 2011 at 16:39. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 2nd November 2011, 00:12   #6439
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Absolutely correct - this is a STUPID setting by the OS manufacturers.

But I guess what comes into play here - is that these phones are not India centric - where this whole prepaid notification system exists.

Maybe?
Right?
Hi Dr. Suraj
This is not India specific. My iPod Touch syncs with my office laptop running XP (I use linux at home) and my outlook calender is sync'ed with the iPod. Now I get 100+ mails a day (which are not sync'ed) but you can imagine all the calendar invite notification pop ups for meetings that are 3 months old (how rarely I use my ipod) and at least 2 per day. I am truly afraid to start up my ipod!! This has nothing to do with Service provider notifications but ANY notifications or Reminder pop ups!!

How can such a flaw have been overlooked for years? Makes me wonder in amazement... much more than the stars in the sky!

--Ragul
Old 2nd November 2011, 02:05   #6440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Hi Dr. Suraj
This is not India specific. My iPod Touch syncs with my office laptop running XP (I use linux at home) and my outlook calender is sync'ed with the iPod. Now I get 100+ mails a day (which are not sync'ed) but you can imagine all the calendar invite notification pop ups for meetings that are 3 months old (how rarely I use my ipod) and at least 2 per day. I am truly afraid to start up my ipod!! This has nothing to do with Service provider notifications but ANY notifications or Reminder pop ups!!

How can such a flaw have been overlooked for years? Makes me wonder in amazement... much more than the stars in the sky!

--Ragul
Agreed.

There are many such small things that really make you wonder 1 of these 2 things :

1. How the hell could they miss this!
or
2. Why din't they think of this before !

Old 2nd November 2011, 06:21   #6441
Senior - BHPian

^^: IN the case above - What else can a mfr do? If you want notifications, it cannot differentiate between calendar notifications as well as emails or sms. But some phones allow you to set a different tone though!!
Old 2nd November 2011, 09:14   #6442
BANNED

@dkaile; I did hear rumours that GB will get a screen shot. Good that it is there. Both my mobiles are on Froyo so but for your posts I will not know.
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:03   #6443

Hi guys! I had ordered a Dell XCD35 from buytheprice.com. The guys delivered in 3 days flat! Awsome! Point which bothers me is, i am very confused on the interface front. Being used to my wife's Samsung Andriod, which has the Wi-Fi, GPS, Ringer/Vibrator, and Auto-Rotate toggle buttons located very conveniently on the pull down menu, I dont find anything on the pull down menu here. Is there a way I can put those items there? Makes no sense to hunt for these items in the menu when you need to reach them in a hurry! Especially the Wi-Fi toggle! Its required so often!
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:10   #6444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
@dkaile; I did hear rumours that GB will get a screen shot.... .
GB does not have screenshot capability natively. Maybe some manufacturers have included the facility in their ROMs. But screenshots can be taken natively in ICS.
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:57   #6445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan.dr View Post
Hi guys! I had ordered a Dell XCD35 from buytheprice.com. The guys delivered in 3 days flat! Awsome! Point which bothers me is, i am very confused on the interface front. Being used to my wife's Samsung Andriod, which has the Wi-Fi, GPS, Ringer/Vibrator, and Auto-Rotate toggle buttons located very conveniently on the pull down menu, I dont find anything on the pull down menu here. Is there a way I can put those items there? Makes no sense to hunt for these items in the menu when you need to reach them in a hurry! Especially the Wi-Fi toggle! Its required so often!
I too ordered a Dell XCD35 from letsbuy.com for 7780/-. For quick access to wi-fi, bluetooth etc, I believe there is a widget you can add on any of the homescreens.

Check out this video at 1:26 -
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:08   #6446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan.dr
Is there a way I can put those items there? Makes no sense to hunt for these items in the menu when you need to reach them in a hurry! Especially the Wi-Fi toggle! Its required so often!
Congrats on your buy! Did you try the long press menu on the home screen? select widgets from the long press menu and there should be widget called power control.

If you do not have the above option... You may have download a go launcher widget called switch. For that switch to work you will need to set go launcher
as your default launcher. It is available in the android market as a free download.
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:11   #6447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Congrats on your buy! Did you try the long press menu on the home screen? select widgets from the long press menu and there should be widget called power control.

If you do not have the above option... You may have download a go launcher widget called switch. For that switch to work you will need to set go launcher
as your default launcher. It is available in the android market as a free download.
just get "widgetsoid" from the market.
you dont need a heavy launcher.
you can place one widget with toggles for wifi, BT, data, gps, torch etc.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:29   #6448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani View Post
GB does not have screenshot capability natively. Maybe some manufacturers have included the facility in their ROMs. But screenshots can be taken natively in ICS.
How to take screenshots in ICS. It was possible in cynogenmod based ROMs through power button.
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:34   #6449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku
How to take screenshots in ICS. It was possible in cynogenmod based ROMs through power button.
Exactly. Screenshot capability is not native to AOSP GB but is an add-on in custom ROMs like cyanogenmod. But in ICS, it is natively supported. Method is just like in CM7, via the power button.
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:57   #6450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk

just get "widgetsoid" from the market.
you dont need a heavy launcher
you can place one widget with toggles for wifi, BT, data, gps, torch etc.
Hey thanks a ton mayankk... Jus tried out that app. Works like a charm. The best widget ever I would say
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks