Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2011, 17:14   #6691
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Finally an SE!!!
it took so long that my x10 became outdated in the meantime!!

You should check out DX for accessories and such.
Some cases may be able to take care of the squeaks, if it is from the panels.
Thanks mayankk! What is DX?

The panel seems to be perfect, I haven't seen anything funny with the panel or the loops where the plastic fits. Not sure what could be the problem with it, however, it's a minor thing that I can live with. Everything else in this phone is gorgeous to say the least. I'm in love with this phone!
Old 22nd November 2011, 17:39   #6692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
If anyone is looking to buy Samsung Galaxy Note, sulekha.com has a deal going for about 28,480 Rs compared to 34900 Rs in flipkart.
And the Samsung Galaxy S2 is priced at Rs 26,799 as on 22nd November 2011.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 22nd November 2011, 20:08   #6693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
And the Samsung Galaxy S2 is priced at Rs 26,799 as on 22nd November 2011.

Cheers!
Irish
yebhi.com sold it at 24.5k in sept end with coupons. Some folks over on Techenclave had some coupons. Of course, shipping took forever and a half (ten days)!!
Old 22nd November 2011, 22:46   #6694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman

yebhi.com sold it at 24.5k in sept end with coupons. Some folks over on Techenclave had some coupons. Of course, shipping took forever and a half (ten days)!!
Ha ha... I am waiting for my drls for over three Weeks! may take up to a month... Yes, international shipping.
Old 23rd November 2011, 09:30   #6695
Senior - BHPian

I want to admit that none of my previous custom firmware installations was this stable. This is cm7.1 release version and I am testing its long term stability, had been running for about 120hrs now. Need to reach at least 240 hrs to call it stable

Old cm versions used to crash in two or three days and MIUI used to restart as if it is just normal behavior. (up time in the screenshot is 116 hrs which is hidden by the watermark.)

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd November 2011 at 11:22.
Old 23rd November 2011, 10:26   #6696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I want to admit that none of my previous custom firmware installations was this stable. This is cm7.1 release version and I am testing its long term stability, had been running for about 120hrs now. Need to reach at least 240 hrs to call it stable

Attachment 846264

Old cm versions used to crash in two or three days and MIUI used to restart as if it is just normal behavior. (up time in the screenshot is 116 hrs which is hidden by the watermark.)
You should probably hide/blur out your IMEI
Old 23rd November 2011, 11:30   #6697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Surprising. CM7 Defy has lasted weeks without a reboot - almost certainly never by itself - more often because I forgot to charge it overnight

And never have I had to do a battery pull across any ROM - if a nightly was crappy (read slow/laggy) - I simply flashed another version
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 12:26   #6698
Senior - BHPian

It has been the 4th day for me on my CM 7.1 (after upgrading from 2.2.2 official). To me, the battery life is pretty much the same, though I was playing around a lot more, so the comparison is not very fair at the moment.

I must say, that CM 7.1 runs better than the stock Froyo. Previously, my touch screen response was very unpredictable at times - e.g swipe across to receive a call did not work and I had to miss calls.

The GPS lock is very quick (I have not applied any patches although phamilyman recommends it).
I am testing the Sygic 11.2 and the performance is positive in every way. The previous version of Sygic I had was 11.0.x and on Stock Froyo it had a hard time running smoothly.
With CM 7.1 and the new Sygic 11.2, the overall experience is as smooth as it should be. I will test this more over a period of time, but for all those who are looking at saving some money and converting your mobile into a navigator, should go ahead! You won't be missing on anything significant.
Some of the smaller bit in CM 7.1 are very nice -e.g. the notifications bar on the top has got the power widgets which can be customized. It is very easy to change themes using the ADWLauncher theme changer.
I also like that a single tap can lock the orientation of the screen - sometimes, when I lie back, I may hold the phone at an angle where the screen changes orientation, but I do not want that to happen. Now I can use the power widgets to lock the orientation and it stays perfect.
I also find the camera performance to be better in CM 7.1 - somehow I have this feeling.

All my data and applications were intact after the upgrade. The only think I noticed is that Team BHP application was missing after I upgraded. I think it may have happened if the application was on phone memory - but I am not sure.

Under Mobile settings--> GSM/UMTS preferences, I have selected GSM only.
I am hoping this improves the battery performance somehow.

Questions:
I had changed the baseband settings somewhere accidentally. How do I access those again? Which baseband is best for India?
Is there a way to use MP3 music for alarms? This was present in 2.2.2.
Old 24th November 2011, 06:09   #6699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Questions:
I had changed the baseband settings somewhere accidentally. How do I access those again? Which baseband is best for India?
Is there a way to use MP3 music for alarms? This was present in 2.2.2.
Defy Baseband switcher is a standard app. Choose "Singapore, Indonesia, India.." under the APAC tab.

I use Alarm Clock Xtreme - it has options for any sort of music (OEM required it to be under specific folders which is redundant IMO).

PS: You're right on GPS. The latest versions have included the GPS fix as well (not there in the initial CM7 Defy versions in May) - but I routinely flash the GPS fix out of sheer habit.

That said - the day you'll flash WajkIUI you'll FORGET CM7. Think of it like CM7 battery/stability with MIUI eye candy and really crisp responsive. After a series of failed experiments with MS2Ginger/MotoGinger and then the 28 Oct WajkIUI and now 18Nov version - I LOVE it. There is none better.

Regarding MS2Ginger/MotoGinger I DO NOT recommend it for a variety of reasons:
  • Its stellar point was battery performance - which current CM7 and WajkIUI match
  • It involves flashing the fixed Gingerbread SBF and you lose direct downgradeability to Indian Froyo (i.e warranty issues) though u can downgrade easily to UK Froyo. I will test some workaround and later report if it works.
  • It has enough random chinese untranslated tidbits on dialer etc which irritate
  • CM7 Torch doesnt work
  • Much less eye candy than WajkIUI
*: Of course, no guarantee for how it behaves on anyone else's particular phone
Old 24th November 2011, 08:33   #6700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Defy Baseband switcher is a standard app. Choose "Singapore, Indonesia, India.." under the APAC tab.
Hi,

I do not have singapore, Indonesia, India..instead it shows it is under Hongkong, Taiwan Optus SEA 2.59...

Quote:
That said - the day you'll flash WajkIUI you'll FORGET CM7. Think of it like CM7 battery/stability with MIUI eye candy and really crisp responsive. After a series of failed experiments with MS2Ginger/MotoGinger and then the 28 Oct WajkIUI and now 18Nov version - I LOVE it. There is none better.

*: Of course, no guarantee for how it behaves on anyone else's particular phone
Guruji, some gyan on WAJKIUI please??

Cheers
Old 24th November 2011, 09:36   #6701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi,

I do not have singapore, Indonesia, India..instead it shows it is under Hongkong, Taiwan Optus SEA 2.59...

Guruji, some gyan on WAJKIUI please??

Cheers
Saar,

There are 3 tabs - under APAC tab you should see that one.

Else download and install the latest one from: [Tool] basebandswitcher V4 multilanguage V0.7 (22.07.2011) - xda-developers (which is why i also flash the GPS fix - i don't want to know mid-drive someday that the GPS signal is not good, and then spend 5-10 mins in flashing, wiping cache n rebooting!)

WajkIUI is all pleasure, no gyan - just download and install from [ROM][MOD] WajkIUI 1.11.18 - MULTiLanguage - xda-developers

WajkIUI is like a finest hybrid of CM7 & MIUI for Defy - but you should better wipe data before u flash it from either.

That said - please buy Titanium Backup PRO key - it makes life very very simple - best app I ever spent on (besides angry birds )! But think twice before restoring system data unless its the same ROM.

Last edited by phamilyman : 24th November 2011 at 09:38.
Old 24th November 2011, 11:29   #6702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saar,

There are 3 tabs - under APAC tab you should see that one.

Else download and install the latest one from: [Tool] basebandswitcher V4 multilanguage V0.7 (22.07.2011) - xda-developers (which is why i also flash the GPS fix - i don't want to know mid-drive someday that the GPS signal is not good, and then spend 5-10 mins in flashing, wiping cache n rebooting!)
Done Guruji - Thanx!! Downloaded the Baseband switcher and installed via CWM..

Quote:
WajkIUI is all pleasure, no gyan - just download and install from [ROM][MOD] WajkIUI 1.11.18 - MULTiLanguage - xda-developers

WajkIUI is like a finest hybrid of CM7 & MIUI for Defy - but you should better wipe data before u flash it from either.

That said - please buy Titanium Backup PRO key - it makes life very very simple - best app I ever spent on (besides angry birds )! But think twice before restoring system data unless its the same ROM.
Downloading...
Will try out soon!!

Last edited by headers : 24th November 2011 at 11:31.
Old 24th November 2011, 13:07   #6703
BHPian

Quote:
@Whitesquall- any update on your phone? Did u get time to go n try what I recommended?
Yeah! I got my phone back with new mother board! It took lot of escalation to bring it back. Motorola A.S.S. is horrible. I had to wait for 3 complete weeks to get my own phone back (2nd Nov to 23rd Nov)!!. All because of the inefficiency of service guys. I just wish Motorola considers training their service staff.

Now, back to the same dilemma? Do I have the courage to go for custom ROM again?? This is going to be a tough one. . .

Last edited by whitesquall : 24th November 2011 at 13:10.
Old 24th November 2011, 14:58   #6704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I use Alarm Clock Xtreme - it has options for any sort of music (OEM required it to be under specific folders which is redundant IMO).
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi,
Thanks. Did not realize that this is a separate application. I was looking for it under the various "Settings" groups.
I ran it and it did not have the Singapore.. India option as confirmed by --> headers.
I will download the new one shortly.
One funny thing happened when I tried to exit this baseband switcher application. My launcher's center icon got replaced by the icon for this baseband switching application. And the action also got replaced to launch of this too. There was no way for me to get back to my default launcher's action which was "Open/ Close App drawer". Tried rebooting the phone and that did not help either. Finally I had to edit the properties and assign an action and then reboot.

I have installed the Alarm application.
However after the upgrade to CM 7.1, I am running out of space on my SD card. I need to first try and find out what is taking up such a lot of space. I have just 400 MB free on my SD card, where as internal storage has 1 GB free.
Old 24th November 2011, 15:24   #6705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler
I just came across this Free Navigation app, Navfree. Haven't tried it yet though.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.navfree
.android.OSM.ALL
I tried the app and found it to be good. But the app crashed quite a few times on my s2. Some of the options are not working but India map is free.

Name:  ForumRunner_20111124_151736.png
Views: 459
Size:  126.2 KB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks