Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2011, 18:15   #6841
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
My Defy battery life sucks! Even with CM7, It hardly lasts 12 hours average with very moderate calls and minimal internet usage. . and the data connectivity gets lost often too. Will try base band switcher suggested by @phamilyman. Hope it solves these problems.

PS: I usually kill the processes/applications that I do not use.
If in the 12 hours, your battery usage is more than 60-65% then you should be too bothered. is that so? Did you switch basebands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
^@whitesquall: You can give it a try.
But, I don't think the basebandswitcher will do anything for you. I remember now that I had downloaded that file (and mentioned about it a few pages back). But I never really installed it. I am using the "Central Europe, Germany...." values (I am on Android 2.3.7 (CM 7.1.0.11) and I have no issues with data/ calls or even battery. My battery charging is every 3rd day with moderate phone usage.
That is POSSIBLY because of your network config. In delhi - airtel shows enough bars as long as I am on 3G network (data icon is H, even though i have EDGE plan only). moment i select "2G networks only" - the signal strength drops tremendously. Try it.

Then choose the Singapore/India/Indonesia and you will realize the difference
Old 5th December 2011, 19:11   #6842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler

Why don't you share your PC internet with your phone using USB tethering or make your laptop a wifi hotspot.
Usb tethering and wifi hotspot are used to share the internet on your mobile with your pc.
What you may try to do is download apps from online hosting sites or if you have wifi on your computer you may use some freeware windows applications to share your wired connection over wifi. Many such applications are available, try searching on Google.
Old 5th December 2011, 20:00   #6843
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac

Usb tethering and wifi hotspot are used to share the internet on your mobile with your pc.
What you may try to do is download apps from online hosting sites or if you have wifi on your computer you may use some freeware windows applications to share your wired connection over wifi. Many such applications are available, try searching on Google.
Right on first,but you can always turn your lappy into a hotspot.
Old 5th December 2011, 21:21   #6844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
That is some interesting feedback.

Very tough. wajkiUI is the answer.
Well I tried installing the contacts & music app extracted from wajkiui zip on cm7.1, but it did not get installed.
So before flashing wajkiui rom again, can you please suggeat on its graphic performance. As posted earlier, i was facing some missing textures on wajkiui. Is it resolved now on latest update which has ICS framework?
Can you please run the quadrant advanced on your phone to confirm if this is one off issue or some 3D drivers problem in the rom itself.

Thanks.
Old 5th December 2011, 22:47   #6845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Right on first,but you can always turn your lappy into a hotspot.
While you can definitely turn your lappy into a hotspot, but that remains an ad-hoc connection unless you are using some adapter. Android is not compatible with ad-hoc connection. I have been trying to do it since last few days. But no luck.
Only option is using Bzeek free Wifi. But that too doesn't show up on my XCD35.
Old 5th December 2011, 22:49   #6846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac

On HTC phones you can do the other way round too, I assumed its the same with other Androids.
Old 5th December 2011, 23:19   #6847
BHPian

Quote:
If in the 12 hours, your battery usage is more than 60-65% then you should be too bothered. is that so? Did you switch basebands?
Yes. You are correct. My usage is exactly 65% within 12 hours and it is concerning . I have installed the baseband switcher, changed the base band to "Singapore/Indonesia. . " and have connected my phone for full recharge. Let me see the difference in next 12 hours.

Quote:
That is POSSIBLY because of your network config. In delhi - airtel shows enough bars as long as I am on 3G network (data icon is H, even though i have EDGE plan only). moment i select "2G networks only" - the signal strength drops tremendously. Try it.

Then choose the Singapore/India/Indonesia and you will realize the difference
I expect some improvement in terms of data connectivity at least. . .but, my main concern about battery definitely needs addressing.

BTW, here in Bangalore too, the signal strength remains same irrespective of whether I check the "2G only" box or not (again Airtel connection).

Last edited by whitesquall : 5th December 2011 at 23:23.
Old 5th December 2011, 23:23   #6848
BHPian

Been running teamhacksung's ICS build 6 on my SGS for two days now and it is brilliant. At 40% charge left now after 13 plus hours since the last charge. Usage has been more than average and on Wifi all the time. There are a few quirks and the odd lag, but the OS has been very stable.

A lot of apps have not been updated for ICS, so it is a good idea to take a Titanium backup of your GB apps before an attempt towards ICS is made as Market won't show the non-updated apps and it is not a good idea to pull APKs from random websites.
Old 6th December 2011, 00:39   #6849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Well I tried installing the contacts & music app extracted from wajkiui zip on cm7.1, but it did not get installed.
So before flashing wajkiui rom again, can you please suggeat on its graphic performance. As posted earlier, i was facing some missing textures on wajkiui. Is it resolved now on latest update which has ICS framework?
Can you please run the quadrant advanced on your phone to confirm if this is one off issue or some 3D drivers problem in the rom itself.

Thanks.
I didnt bother to run quadrant on wajkiUI - everything else that mattered (read browser and angry birds) was working.

I've not installed the latest one. like i said, I have sensor issues with the wajkiUI which are practically not there on CM7.1 - therefore i'm not going back on WajkiUI soon.

If the other apps were working fine, why bother?

Quote:
Yes. You are correct. My usage is exactly 65% within 12 hours and it is concerning . I have installed the baseband switcher, changed the base band to "Singapore/Indonesia. . " and have connected my phone for full recharge. Let me see the difference in next 12 hours.
Its okay man. I drain 50-65% (depending on how much angry birds i played!) in 12 hours with 1 hour of talking, on bluetooth, lots of email seeing, lotus traveler, 20-25 min of gaming and constant data.
Old 6th December 2011, 10:09   #6850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzy View Post
While you can definitely turn your lappy into a hotspot, but that remains an ad-hoc connection unless you are using some adapter. Android is not compatible with ad-hoc connection. I have been trying to do it since last few days. But no luck.
Only option is using Bzeek free Wifi. But that too doesn't show up on my XCD35.
Have you tried some other freeware?
I used to use one sometime back on a winmo device, but havent had a chance for my android till now.
Im thinking the OP can install some s/w too.
Old 6th December 2011, 11:36   #6851
BHPian

2.3.6 update is now available for Galaxy SL i9003.
I9003DDKP1/I9003ODDKPH/I9003DDKP4/I9003DDKP1

I am impressed by the frequency of firmware updates by Samsung .

The earlier 2.3.5 update itself brought great performance improvements (smoother scrolling in lists, quicker UI in general etc) and battery life improvements.
This one adds to it

Wishful thinking but i hope we get ICS too
Old 6th December 2011, 13:04   #6852
Senior - BHPian

speaking of samsung - try chaton (available in android market). works across android and bada devices. good replacement to whatsapp
Old 6th December 2011, 13:13   #6853
BHPian

Quote:
Baseband switcher did not help my cause of improving the Defy battery life. My phone was 100% charged at 12.45 in the night and by 8.45 next day morning, the battery usage was 40%! Can you imagine that happening when the phone is totally idle? Unbelievable man. I don't know what to do next. . .

Quote:
Its okay man. I drain 50-65% (depending on how much angry birds i played!) in 12 hours with 1 hour of talking, on bluetooth, lots of email seeing, lotus traveler, 20-25 min of gaming and constant data.
@phamilyman: I could understand if the battery usage statistic are at par with actual usage like in your case. My case is weird! suggest something.
Old 6th December 2011, 13:31   #6854
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Any body here use JakstrSMS ? How good / bad is it ? Any reviews ?

Thanks.
Old 6th December 2011, 14:07   #6855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrajdeep View Post
Hello Friends,

Any body here use JakstrSMS ? How good / bad is it ? Any reviews ?

Thanks.
pm whitesquall - he uses it!

Quote:
Baseband switcher did not help my cause of improving the Defy battery life. My phone was 100% charged at 12.45 in the night and by 8.45 next day morning, the battery usage was 40%! Can you imagine that happening when the phone is totally idle? Unbelievable man.
You need to download and install one of those battery logging softwares - this is simply incredible. I'm afraid u'll need to look up XDA - i can't recommend one. what statistic does the phone say on the standard battery discharge chart screen?

Try installing juice defender right now for starters and keep it a big aggressive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks