Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2011, 14:33   #6856
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Baseband switcher did not help my cause of improving the Defy battery life. My phone was 100% charged at 12.45 in the night and by 8.45 next day morning, the battery usage was 40%! Can you imagine that happening when the phone is totally idle? Unbelievable man. I don't know what to do next. . .

@phamilyman: I could understand if the battery usage statistic are at par with actual usage like in your case. My case is weird! suggest something.
Just try 2x battery for saving in idle mode.
It worked really well for me.
Its become one the perpetual carry-over apps for me for about 12 roms.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 14:34   #6857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzy View Post
While you can definitely turn your lappy into a hotspot, but that remains an ad-hoc connection unless you are using some adapter. Android is not compatible with ad-hoc connection. I have been trying to do it since last few days. But no luck.
Only option is using Bzeek free Wifi. But that too doesn't show up on my XCD35.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Have you tried some other freeware?
I used to use one sometime back on a winmo device, but havent had a chance for my android till now.
Im thinking the OP can install some s/w too.
Connectify is your answer. Runs on Windows7.
Old 6th December 2011, 15:00   #6858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You need to download and install one of those battery logging softwares - this is simply incredible. I'm afraid u'll need to look up XDA - i can't recommend one. what statistic does the phone say on the standard battery discharge chart screen?

Try installing juice defender right now for starters and keep it a big aggressive.
Some how the "Juice Defender" that I had was not working. So, yesterday night I uninstalled it and have installed "Battery Defender" free app from the market. Seems a very simple app compared to the juice defender.

The aggressive setting with juice defender used to bring down the system performance earlier (Froyo). So, I am not a fan of these apps. I thought CM7 will by default ensure maximum battery life along with superior performance and hence did not care too much about these app. . .I am looking for a solution is XDA none the less.

One thing that I noticed was that the wifi was using most of the battery juice. Since morning I have disconnected wifi. I recharged my Defy to full again at 12 noon. In this 3+ hours duration, the battery usage is just 10%. This seems better. . .

The battery use under about phone settings now looks like:

- 3h 20m on Battery

-Display 35%
-Phone Idle 29%
-Cell standby 23%
-Android OS 7%
-Dialer 3%
-Android System 2%
-Gallery 2%

Is Display at 35% too much? Is it because of the Cyanogen Graphic Wallpaper that I have used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Just try 2x battery for saving in idle mode.
It worked really well for me.
Its become one the perpetual carry-over apps for me for about 12 roms.
If this battery defender that I have installed do not satisfy, I will try out 2x battery for sure.

Last edited by whitesquall : 6th December 2011 at 15:05.
Old 6th December 2011, 15:11   #6859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While you can definitely turn your lappy into a hotspot, but that remains an ad-hoc connection unless you are using some adapter. Android is not compatible with ad-hoc connection. I have been trying to do it since last few days. But no luck.
Only option is using Bzeek free Wifi. But that too doesn't show up on my XCD35.
Use this software called connectify. You can create a WPA secured hotspot as well. Works well with my android.
Old 6th December 2011, 18:56   #6860
Senior - BHPian

whitesquall,

I do nothing of the sort - no juice defender nothing. but no fancy wallpapers either. no data consuming widgets (the kind which motorola comes preloaded with).

Try this: *#*#INFO#*#* (motorola fones wonlee) - you will get Usage statistics. That lists programs using CPU cycles. see if there's any heavy user.
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 20:56   #6861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
whitesquall,

I do nothing of the sort - no juice defender nothing. but no fancy wallpapers either. no data consuming widgets (the kind which motorola comes preloaded with).

Try this: *#*#INFO#*#* (motorola fones wonlee) - you will get Usage statistics. That lists programs using CPU cycles. see if there's any heavy user.
*#*#INFO#*#* works for all the android phones.
Old 6th December 2011, 21:32   #6862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I didnt bother to run quadrant on wajkiUI - everything else that mattered (read browser and angry birds) was working.

I've not installed the latest one. like i said, I have sensor issues with the wajkiUI which are practically not there on CM7.1 - therefore i'm not going back on WajkiUI soon.

If the other apps were working fine, why bother?
All this while I was under impression that you are using Wajkiui ROM only. So you are also using the CM7.1 now? ok the proximity issue.. Got it.

Currently I have decided to wait for few days more & then try for some ICS Framework ROM & then go for full ICS ROM if released stable. Till then will use CM7.1 (Atleast it let me configure Exchange mails)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Baseband switcher did not help my cause of improving the Defy battery life. My phone was 100% charged at 12.45 in the night and by 8.45 next day morning, the battery usage was 40%! Can you imagine that happening when the phone is totally idle? Unbelievable man. I don't know what to do next.
It happened to me also when I flashed custom ROMs. I did below thing which now increased the battery life:
Let the phone shut off automatically due to battery drain.
The charge it for 4-5Hours (100%)

After that my battery backup is good & lasts for 2Days atleast.
Also the temp is much bearable

(Note: I have also reduced the Display Off time to 30Secs & also reduced the MAX CPU to 900MHz with 54VSel from bootmenu)

Hope this helps.
PS: I am using CM 7.1 Update 11.11.11
Old 6th December 2011, 23:18   #6863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Connectify is your answer. Runs on Windows7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Use this software called connectify. You can create a WPA secured hotspot as well. Works well with my android.
I did try Connectify before. The free version. This creates only the ad-Hoc mode. And this 'precisely' is the problem - it's not compatible with Android.

Are you guys using Pro-version? That must be the case then. Also I am still on ancient XP on my laptop. Does that ring a bell?
Old 7th December 2011, 08:51   #6864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did try Connectify before. The free version. This creates only the ad-Hoc mode. And this 'precisely' is the problem - it's not compatible with Android.

Are you guys using Pro-version? That must be the case then. Also I am still on ancient XP on my laptop. Does that ring a bell?
Only Windows7 supports a hotspot. XP is your problem!
Old 7th December 2011, 10:29   #6865
BHPian

Google Android Market has completed 10 billion downloads and is *celebrating* it. Google is offering 10 different premium apps everyday at discounted rates. And the discount percentage is..... wait for it.... 90%! Today’s discounted premium apps include SoundHound, Asphalt 6, Swiftkey X, and Paper Camera. I bought Swiftkey X, Endomondo and Sketchbook at Rs. 5.12 each ($0.10)!

(I hope this doesn't construe as advertising. But if it does, mods please remove the post)
lamboguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 10:39   #6866
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Got delivery of my first ever Android phone - Dell XCD35. Flipkart delivered it within 2 days time. Following is my initial impression on the device:

1. The display is AWESOME. The 480*800 resolution on 3.5inch WVGA display rocks. The edges of the icons etc are crisp and the display looks very upmarket for its price (8599/-)

2. The touch screen response if pretty good. No lag whatsoever.

3. The device comes up with Froyo (2.2), 512 MB RAM, 512 ROM and 600 Mhz processor. The hardware is descent for its price.

4. The Wi-Fi connectivity is brilliant. Installed couple of Apps from the Market and the speed was good. I have 512 Kbps connection but my Nokia 5800 was sluggish to say the least.

5. The 2G reception is good. I dont have 3G, so no comment on it.

6. Web browsing has never been so lovely on my Nokia 5800. The web pages look good and thanks to the display, I dont have to zoom too much to read text on the website.

7. The Google Maps is working pretty accurate. The phone detected an update for it and installed it (Upgraded to 6.0) but, I am not able to see the "Offline" map option in this version. The Offline maps was added in 5.7. May be need to do some RND. The maps was cached immediately and you can clear the cache. I am not sure how this cache location can be put to SD Card.

I will update my experience once I start using it to its limits. I would like to thank Bluengle180 who made it easy for me to go for this phone instead of LG Optimus Net and Samsung Galaxy Fit. Worth every penny, I would say.
Old 7th December 2011, 10:52   #6867
Senior - BHPian

Android market promotion.

Apps for Rs.5

https://market.android.com/details?i...feature=banner
Old 7th December 2011, 11:05   #6868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
Google Android Market has completed 10 billion downloads and is *celebrating* it. Google is offering 10 different premium apps everyday at discounted rates. And the discount percentage is..... wait for it.... 90%!
I bought Soundhound in the morning today for 10 Cents in SGD. Right now, at work, it is showing as 0.10 GBP as I am on UK network!

What is the currency shown in India android market?
Old 7th December 2011, 11:16   #6869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
I bought Soundhound in the morning today for 10 Cents in SGD. Right now, at work, it is showing as 0.10 GBP as I am on UK network!

In INR it is showing Rs 5.12. But, on my mobile it is still showing Rs.~256. Btw, I have Soundhound preloaded on my HTC Desire S. Is there any difference in the paid version apart from the ads?
Old 7th December 2011, 11:27   #6870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post

In India it shows INR 5.12 (I am supposedly billed with $0.10, will have to confirm with my credit card statement)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
In INR it is showing Rs 5.12. But, on my mobile it is still showing Rs.~256. Btw, I have Soundhound preloaded on my HTC Desire S. Is there any difference in the paid version apart from the ads?
Weird because it shows Rs. 5.12 on, both, web as well as phone market app.

No difference except ads i guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks