Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2011, 23:46   #6946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh.machine
Hi,
Got myself a SGS2 yesterday, its on a postpaid but unlocked and contains much bloatware and is on 2.3.3. How do i flash new firmware on it? Does it need to be rooted for it? What else can be done on this fone now, any help appreciated.
The last official from that was launched by samsungwas KE7 which was again 2.3.3. The latest official from Samsung that's come up in Europe is 2.3.6. In order to get that you would need to root it dowload either from samfirmware.com or from XDA forum.

Last edited by Invinsible : 10th December 2011 at 23:49.
Old 11th December 2011, 01:01   #6947
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Any other SE phone you may recommend with the above mentioned budget? A bit of stretch can be done.

Xperia mini comes around the same price range of Ace.
But no idea about the performance of this phone
Old 11th December 2011, 09:50   #6948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Any other SE phone you may recommend with the above mentioned budget? A bit of stretch can be done.
W8 after rooting get multi touch support but avoid that phone as processor is slow, and very limited support.

Best go for Xperia Mini, best phone for budget, it think you will get it for 11-12 k. Good processor, better cam, true value for money from SE.
Old 11th December 2011, 09:57   #6949
BHPian

@Sheel

Check out the following:

LG Optimus Net (9.9k)
HTC Explorer (11k)
Galaxy Y (6.5k)
Motorola Defy (15k)

You could check out Letsbuy, they generally have 5-10% off coupons.

I won't go for any Sony, at least in that budget.
prateekm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2011, 09:59   #6950
Team-BHP Support

I am getting good reviews for the Samsung Galaxy Y. Any first hand experience?
Old 11th December 2011, 10:33   #6951
Senior - BHPian

Sheel,

no man. try the dell XCD35/idea blade. long term ownership i cant say, but in 10k, it gets you a very mod friendly phone with a lovely screen man. the 320x240 screen of galaxy Y (otherwise quick enough n a nice battery) is just not good enough against the 480x800 screen.
Old 11th December 2011, 18:37   #6952
Senior - BHPian

X-posted on the mobile phone thread as well:
I am in the market for a secondary phone - or maybe primary. The Motorola defy stays. But I want a FAST (that rules out cheap prev gen nokias) qwerty phone that does email well. It would have been the blackberry if it was not for my organization not supporting blackberry at all. and I hate symbian. E6 is lovely but oh so symbian old style its not funny (nokia store is so painful after android that i cant buy a new phone)

Otherwise it may have been the Motorola FIRE XT311 - Full phone specifications - but the specs are crap.

Is there a quick (800 mhz+ 512 MB ram) candybar qwerty with/without a touchscreen that has a 320x480 display on atleast a 2.8-3" display?

PS: if there's a touchscreen phone like that - i'll give the defy to the wife!
Old 11th December 2011, 18:45   #6953
BHPian

Check out the lg optimus pro c660,it meets most of your requirements except its a bit low on RAM.

If you could wait for a while samsung shall be launching one .

Last edited by D.V.R : 11th December 2011 at 18:46.
Old 11th December 2011, 19:06   #6954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
on a side note - a heads up for the Defy users -

those installing the latest WajkiUI ICS or the experimental ICS builds (NOT meant for end users - they are builds, not even alpha or beta or stable ROMs) - please do so with caution. There are enough instances of folks trying to, and not being able to downgrade back to Froyo with those ROMs (esp if you install one of the GB variants derived from Defy+). Stick to CM7-stable-11Nov or the 18 Nov wajkiUI unless you completely understand what you're doing.

Finding the way to DOWNGRADE Defy+2.3.6 ROM - xda-developers is just one of the many threads abounding for downgrade and few have a clear clue.
Thanks Sirji for this imp. post. Its really helpful to know what exactly we are doing.
Before doing any upgrade, there must be a FallBack plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
X-posted on the mobile phone thread as well:
I am in the market for a secondary phone - or maybe primary. The Motorola defy stays. But I want a FAST (that rules out cheap prev gen nokias) qwerty phone that does email well. It would have been the blackberry if it was not for my organization not supporting blackberry at all. and I hate symbian. E6 is lovely but oh so symbian old style its not funny (nokia store is so painful after android that i cant buy a new phone)

Otherwise it may have been the Motorola FIRE XT311 - Full phone specifications - but the specs are crap.

Is there a quick (800 mhz+ 512 MB ram) candybar qwerty with/without a touchscreen that has a 320x480 display on atleast a 2.8-3" display?

PS: if there's a touchscreen phone like that - i'll give the defy to the wife!
Even though outdated now, may be you can still give a look to Motorola Milestone. Excellent build quality & nice qwerty sliding keypad. Metal Body. Good Screen & CPU/GPU, same as Defy (Can be overclocked to 1GHz). Only less on RAM & Phone memory.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 12th December 2011 at 15:22. Reason: posts merged
Old 11th December 2011, 19:17   #6955
Senior - BHPian

offroad bhai - no man. the sliding keypad is a very bad idea. Its meant for occasional texters. I realized i am a compulsive type

DVR - the optimus pro has same issue - bad screen and RAM.

PS: if it was the regularly known models, i would've bought it and announced it on this thread by now
Old 11th December 2011, 20:13   #6956
TOR
BHPian

@phamilyman do check here.
Old 11th December 2011, 20:31   #6957
BHPian

I was in a dilemma between Neo v and Galaxy Sl. Checked out reviews and finally decided on Galaxy sl. But i hadn't purchased it as yet. Now i see that its price has risen from 17.5k to 18.5k :(
Is it a good time now to buy this or any android in this price range ? Any new phones soon to be launched ? Should i hold on ?
Old 11th December 2011, 20:42   #6958
BHPian

checked out a couple of stores including Chroma to lay my hands on a Motorola Razr (the android one) but no one had it on display or in stock. any idea where or who could have this one on display in Mumbai/Thane?

also, does anybody know what may be the date of launch of samsung galaxy nexus in India?
Old 11th December 2011, 21:13   #6959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
I was in a dilemma between Neo v and Galaxy Sl. Checked out reviews and finally decided on Galaxy sl. But i hadn't purchased it as yet. Now i see that its price has risen from 17.5k to 18.5k :(
Is it a good time now to buy this or any android in this price range ? Any new phones soon to be launched ? Should i hold on ?
its the stupid INR man. the blackberry curve and curve3g just increased by a grand each!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
@phamilyman do check here.
my sister has the phone - i advised her to buy it - its lovely except i prefer a fully available qwerty. the battery is simply pathetic - its quite ready to die on her by evening - even though she has no GPRS active and no wifi in office!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
checked out a couple of stores including Chroma to lay my hands on a Motorola Razr (the android one) but no one had it on display or in stock. any idea where or who could have this one on display in Mumbai/Thane?

also, does anybody know what may be the date of launch of samsung galaxy nexus in India?
http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/IN...lestone-Stores will have it.

call them and see.

Last edited by phamilyman : 11th December 2011 at 21:14.
Old 11th December 2011, 22:44   #6960
Senior - BHPian

My brother bought LauncherPro full version and he shared the unlocker apk with me as well - I copied it to /system/app and restarted the phone and guess what, LauncherPro became fully functional in my phone too. So far whatever app has been bought from the market, we were able to share and use! Wonder when will app makers prevent such copying!
clevermax is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed