Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 16:28   #7021
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Plus idea would put zero bloatware since thy are not a software company - i suspect mostly stock android
Even XCD35 doesn't have any additional apps pre-loaded. It comes with stock Android Froyo.
Gandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 20:18   #7022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010

NOT bad considering your usage.

Expect around 10-12 hours of heavy usage in Custom roms. But the stock rom can churn out around the 6-8 hours only.

If you are into rooting and custom roms would advice the CM7 or Batista or CHeck ROM(THough Check rom 4 seems to drink more battery than the previous versions).

I get around 18 hrs after good use if not heavy. The sycn is on 24/7 for office, 2 gmails, gtalk and some widgets. Still i get around 18hrs.

Max has been around 2.5 days with moderate use where data was switched of everytime i didnt need them.
Hello VW2010 we meet again! Thanks for the info. Yes I am into rooting and flashing (I had managed to install 1gb worth of apps on my optimus one where it was supposed to have only 180mb of internal memory). But I'll wait sometime before flashing the sgs2.
Today was the 2nd day and I could squeeze out 12 hours of battery after which only 10% was left. Usage was moderate with gprs on full day with sync, whatsapp etc..
Attached Images

Old 14th December 2011, 22:56   #7023
BHPian

Quote:
yaar, dell XCD35's brother from the same mother but different father is Idea Blade. with MRP 7992, i'm sure you should get it at 7700. Plus idea would put zero bloatware since thy are not a software company - i suspect mostly stock android

and i'd +1 headers on the battery. but then no one buys androids for lovely battery inspite of heavy usage. for those people there are nokia's dumb phones !!

for those people there are nokia's dumb phones
Sorry for
This , I really liked it. See a new phone, people just ask you, how much ? battery kitna ?... just like marutis "kitna deti hai".. sorry no hard feelings for nokia fan boys. Android is not for you.
Old 15th December 2011, 00:49   #7024
BHPian

Any SE NeoV user here. Can anybody confirm whether we can view or download Attached files. Does Samsung, LG, HTC phones support attachment viewing or downloading.
Old 15th December 2011, 06:16   #7025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Any SE NeoV user here. Can anybody confirm whether we can view or download Attached files. Does Samsung, LG, HTC phones support attachment viewing or downloading.
All the above support reading downloaded office files especially on Android!

Just use market and download THINKFREE office lite or Olive Office or any other free office package!!

Last edited by headers : 15th December 2011 at 06:18.
Old 15th December 2011, 13:01   #7026
BHPian

Quote:
but then no one buys androids for lovely battery inspite of heavy usage. for those people there are nokia's dumb phones !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
for those people there are nokia's dumb phones
Sorry for
This , I really liked it. See a new phone, people just ask you, how much ? battery kitna ?... just like marutis "kitna deti hai".. sorry no hard feelings for nokia fan boys. Android is not for you.
I think it is a bit more nuanced than that. 10-hours of battery life is not ideal for most people, be it a smartphone or not as it will require you to carry with you another phone or a bulkier battery or a charger all the time. You can't blame people for wanting something for which they have paid almost 30K to last at least through the working day.

On the flip side, the phones these days come with features on them that normally take about 3+ standalone devices to replicate (phone, GPS, camera, portable music player). Thus, if you are going to use it without any restrictions the battery will drain faster. After all, even the standalone devices cannot give you 12-hours of continuous operation without a recharge.

That said, at least according to me, it is unnecessary to bring in the 'fanboy' business here. That line of conversation is one of the saddest things about commentary on the web these days.

Battery life is a genuine concern for all users. Why hot help the users coming from another platform to understand the various aspects of it on Android than shut them out with an "Android is not for you" statement?
Old 15th December 2011, 13:07   #7027
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
what kind of files?
Ive noticed that in the gmail client, you would get a "preview" option if the app to handle that format is installed.
Old 15th December 2011, 13:36   #7028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
Battery life is a genuine concern for all users. Why hot help the users coming from another platform to understand the various aspects of it on Android than shut them out with an "Android is not for you" statement?
yaar. i look at it the other way around. I don't subscribe to chikku's bit harsh words but its this - if one wants endless backup - it has to be an E63 on GPRS (for instance-as a smart enough phone).

In that sense, battery performance is zero-sum -
- Larger screens
- high data usage (3G makes it worse, even on the E63 it annhilates the battery)
- More sensors ( with even stuff like GPS often turned on by default).

So you cannot expect the "lasts 2-3 days" performance on Android. Simply doesn't happen.

Therefore, maybe users should read something like Debugging the Android Battery « Art Life and Technology Larry Page: Your Android battery life should last a day | News | TechRadar to be able to form a studied opinion on it.

See its exactly like mileage. Once a person says, i'm okay with 10-11 kpl in a petrol car, then you show the 1.6 hot hatches. Else on a standalone basis, in sheer milage they take the cake.
Old 15th December 2011, 14:16   #7029
BHPian

It seems to be raining Andriod at my home. My Old P1i gave in after 4 long years with excellent running. That too just required to change the Display which cost aprox 1200 at Sony Service centre.

But decide to make her ready and keep her as a back up phone.

And went from my first Andriod.
Samsung Galaxy Y.
Within few days of using it, i knew i wanted a bigger better and faster phone.
and here comes the Samsung Galaxy SII.

WOW what a phone.
Brief Report.
1) Battery first day just 5Hrs. (Sync / FB / GPS / Wifi / Downloads / Skype / yahoo)
2) Battery Second Day GPS off / 3G off / Wifi on / 15hrs with 45mins Skype video call. WOW!
3) Battery Third Day Additionally configured Official Emails, Music.. Still whole day no problem.
4) Few days back, i had a conference 3 way call for more than 2hrs, yet the battery lasted more than a day....

Now i charge it once a day with WIFI / 3G and GPS on as and when required.

Love the phone, it feel absent in my Pocket..
Screen is awesome.
Been to a meeting, and suddenly my friend flashed his Iphone 4S. and showed me a presentation about their plans. Not to be left behind i should him what i had to offer on my SGSii. and he was bowled over with the Quality of the Screen and the processing spead. My presentation was approx 5mb file on PDF with loads of Pictures and Diagram. and it was quick and crystal clear.

I have one question my phone just hanged twice in the last 15days and both the time when i took a picture. Is there a problem with the camera? Did i do something wrong?

Also noted the photos in the night are not as clear as my P1i, even though my P1i had only 3.2 mgp. Can my learned friends help.

Please suggest the best apps for SII.

Last edited by rajchetan : 15th December 2011 at 14:22.
Old 15th December 2011, 14:27   #7030
BHPian

Quote:
yaar. i look at it the other way around. I don't subscribe to chikku's bit harsh words but its this - if one wants endless backup - it has to be an E63 on GPRS (for instance-as a smart enough phone).
I do completely agree with you on the expectations. I was referring more to the tone and that the query is valid. I already see one post after you'd posted where a SGSII started with 5-hours of battery life and was tweaked to get more out of it.

There is an ocean of a difference between five hours and two days of battery life and I don't think everyone's asking for the latter, while the former is a genuine concern.
Old 15th December 2011, 14:53   #7031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
Also noted the photos in the night are not as clear as my P1i, even though my P1i had only 3.2 mgp. Can my learned friends help.

Please suggest the best apps for SII.
For one, my strong belief is that Sony knows how to make camera sensors better than most people.

apps - buy the daily deals going on android market and read up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
I do completely agree with you on the expectations. I was referring more to the tone and that the query is valid. I already see one post after you'd posted where a SGSII started with 5-hours of battery life and was tweaked to get more out of it.

There is an ocean of a difference between five hours and two days of battery life and I don't think everyone's asking for the latter, while the former is a genuine concern.
oh ji agreed. Even i posted that on the 1st day i got a princely 5 hours with non-stop installations/tinkering happening. But ok - my honest belief is that most androids are designed with just enough battery to get you home (and maybe through the night!) - with an android, you cannot charge once and use for N days (where N>1). Better to put it in the face of people upfront than have them crib/worry later!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 14:58   #7032
Senior - BHPian

Experts - Need Guidance.

On my Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830, I moved from GB 2.3.4 to CM7.1 yesterday. The migration was brilliant, and everything worked.

I made 2 small errors in the process, but I can live with that:
a) Did not back up my SMSes
b) Did not back up my Applications
Anyways, went back to as close a state as I could have, by yesterday night, and everything was kinda hunky dory. The phone felt fast and stable, and looked good too.

Today morning, I changed my Performance setting to 'Conservative', and consequently I had to mandatorily reboot my phone. I did it using the proper Menu Option but it continuously kept getting stuck at the CWM Based Recovery Menu. Whatever I did, would not take me past that menu. So, I thought, lets try the Dalvik Cache Wipe, and Cache Wipe. Did both, and since then, I cannot get anywhere.

I have tried restoring back to Factory Settings, Restoring Back to a Backup I took just before moving into CM7.1, and all other permutations and combinations. Nothing works....

Quote:
So, I now have the following recovery plan in mind:
- Boot into Recovery
- mount SDCARD as USB and connect to PC
- Copy CM7.1 (.Zip) to SD
- Clean Cache and Dalvik Cache
- Reflash CM7.1
Quote:
Question is:
1. Will this approach work?
2. If not, what do I need to change in the series of steps outlined?
3. If this approach is wrong, what else can I try?

Note - I have trawled through XDA already, but have not found anything definitive over there.
Old 15th December 2011, 15:04   #7033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In that sense, battery performance is zero-sum -
- Larger screens
- high data usage (3G makes it worse, even on the E63 it annhilates the battery)
- More sensors ( with even stuff like GPS often turned on by default).
I have to say, data (3G) does eat up the battery like nothing else.

I finished charging 100% on Tuesday night at 22:30.
(My phone is offline from midnight to 07:00)

By Wednesday evening around 18:30, my battery was around 75%. Very less usage of the phone till that time.

And then I switched on data, and used FB, Browser, sync, etc for 30-40 minutes and I was down to 40%.
I also made 1 hour of voice calls.

After 1d and 15 hours since last charge, I am at 16%.
Hopefully I should start charging when I reach home around 19:00 hours.

As per my observation, playing music takes considerably less battery compared to data.
Old 15th December 2011, 15:15   #7034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Whatever I did, would not take me past that menu. So, I thought, lets try the Dalvik Cache Wipe, and Cache Wipe. Did both, and since then, I cannot get anywhere.

I have tried restoring back to Factory Settings, Restoring Back to a Backup I took just before moving into CM7.1, and all other permutations and combinations. Nothing works....

Note - I have trawled through XDA already, but have not found anything definitive over there.
a. call me. this needs detail
b. You are booting directly into recovery? Defy for example has a 2nd init - whereby you bypass the froyo and boot into GB. In that, if the right boot option isnt set, u end up in the menu. Any such thing in your case?
c. Did a data/cache wipe as well I hope? Did you try booting into stock recovery and doing the same?
d. Even the nandroid backup doesn't work kya? What errors does it give? Done an advanced restore? Then you are in deep trouble. if XDA doesnt have any gyan, then maybe flashing the OEM ROM & starting over would be the best thing to do (jai odin).

PS: Call Backup & Restore / SMS Backup & Restore are MUST-HAVE apps boss. as is titanium backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I have to say, data (3G) does eat up the battery like nothing else.

As per my observation, playing music takes considerably less battery compared to data.
yes to your observation.

infact, on 3G - my 2 year old E63 doesn't last even 6 hours. on 2g, it lasts well over a day.(no calls, only gtalk/emails/tweets)
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 15:25   #7035
Senior - BHPian

^^^
a) Sent you PM
b) Yes, tried that too. Key Combination (HOME + VOLUME UP + Power). It gets stuck at RAMDUMP ARM9. Have waited twice for 30-40 minutes each....
c) Tried Stock Recovery / Factory Reset. No luck.
d) I had a CWM backup. Did not have a NANDROID backup.

Will need to look up ODIN, but before that, need to call you up and speak (PM).

Most Viewed