Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2012, 13:01   #7546
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Is motorola defy plus a better bet than galaxy s I9003? Considering that defy plus is water & scratch resistant, dust proof etc. Processor I believe is same for both, however I9003 gets a bigger screenat 4" against defy plus's 3.7"
Guruji Phamilyman is the right guy - PM him..

I'm using a "stock" Defy running at 1.1 GHZ on WIUI for the past 3 months - no complaints!

BTW, the defy is water and fairly scratch resistant!!
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 13:01   #7547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69
Is motorola defy plus a better bet than galaxy s I9003? Considering that defy plus is water & scratch resistant, dust proof etc. Processor I believe is same for both, however I9003 gets a bigger screenat 4" against defy plus's 3.7"
Well, for a sturdy & durable droid, Defy/+ will be better choice as it has similar cpu & gpu as i9003. But the screen size & display quality is better on the galaxy lcd.
But, IMO better invest couple of G's more & check out some dual core droids like galaxy R or lg optimus 2 rather than galaxy s lcd.
offroad_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 14:11   #7548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Guruji Phamilyman is the right guy - PM him..

I'm using a "stock" Defy running at 1.1 GHZ on WIUI for the past 3 months - no complaints!

BTW, the defy is water and fairly scratch resistant!!
Talking about Defy, I have never tried the water test, so cannot comment.
But, if I open up my back cover, I see lot of dust all over the inside of the cover and also on the side below the battery (the inside portion where we have the slider to open the back cover).
I don't know if that is a problem with my handset or others also have this dust. I won't call it dust resistant in any way.
Old 30th January 2012, 15:40   #7549
BHPian

Custom ROM Flashing Tips

Help me to flash a custom ROM

Hello experts,

After going through some of the pages here, am planning to flash my phone with a custom ROM. Can any of the gurus will enlight me for preparing things before flashing. Please be as simple as possible for noobies like me. Any links for step by step procedures will be much appreciated.

My queries:

I know that am going to fiddle with the OS and other important settings which am not fully aware. So to be on safer side, its better to have a full backup. Will the Titanium do the job?

What about the EFS partition and other vital informations which may mess up with a wrong flashing or anything like? How to take the backup of these? Any particular apps available? I've tried to follow on XDA but its bit tough to digest at least for me.

Am going to flash Kyrillo's 9.5 on my G3 which is a rooted phone. I've prepared a list of tools which is required for flashing. For that I've taken tips from here:
[ROM][FROYO] Kyrillos' ROM v9.5 JPU // Battery lasts longer // - xda-developers

Here's the tools list I've prepared:
  • Odin
  • 0531.OPS
  • Kyrillos' rom v9.0 (Based on JPU) [06/11/11] Non OC ver
  • V9.5 update.zip
Is there any other things to make handy while flashing?

Thanks in advance.
Old 30th January 2012, 16:15   #7550
Senior - BHPian

Re: Custom ROM Flashing Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Help me to flash a custom ROM

Am going to flash Kyrillo's 9.5 on my G3 which is a rooted phone. I've prepared a list of tools which is required for flashing. For that I've taken tips from here:
[ROM][FROYO] Kyrillos' ROM v9.5 JPU // Battery lasts longer // - xda-developers

Here's the tools list I've prepared:
  • Odin
  • 0531.OPS
  • Kyrillos' rom v9.0 (Based on JPU) [06/11/11] Non OC ver
  • V9.5 update.zip
Is there any other things to make handy while flashing?

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

I tried Kyrillos' Rom in vain in my G3..CM7.1 is the best Custom ROM for G3. You can also try vivek's ROM for G3.

CM7.1 gets you to Android 2.3 whereas most of the others use 2.2 as base.

Cheers

Last edited by headers : 30th January 2012 at 16:16.
Old 30th January 2012, 16:57   #7551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For a present day smartphone to be smart, battery life is the price we have to pay until there are ground breaking developments in battery technologies which is quite the need of this domain now.
I think we just got our expectations too high. After using S2 for so long and now using a note i can say that Notes bigger battery just does what we want. I get atleast 1.5 days in stock with lots of usage, full time 3G and what not.

S2 without any of those protection, covers and stuff is the best phone to use and to achieve that they had to compromise on battery.

And i dont know why we fuss so much about charging. I just connect my data cable everytime i sit with my computer. It doesnt really make any difference to me even if battery is just 10 hrs.
Old 30th January 2012, 17:18   #7552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi,

I tried Kyrillos' Rom in vain in my G3..CM7.1 is the best Custom ROM for G3. You can also try vivek's ROM for G3.

CM7.1 gets you to Android 2.3 whereas most of the others use 2.2 as base.

Cheers

Thanks for the quick update

Headers, my queries are still on air about the flashing procedure and the EFS backup? Mind in shedding some light?

I know CM7 is the latest than Kyrillos' ROM, but main issue is, it doesn't support USB Tethering AFAIK, and some where I read that its bit slow on G3 due to the low processor speed, is it right? Are you able to tether the net connection from the phone to PC? I used to connect the net through GPRS at home. Hows the performance on CM7?

BTW, Did you tried the Viveks ROM?
Old 30th January 2012, 17:36   #7553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Thanks for the quick update

Headers, my queries are still on air about the flashing procedure and the EFS backup? Mind in shedding some light?

I know CM7 is the latest than Kyrillos' ROM, but main issue is, it doesn't support USB Tethering AFAIK, and some where I read that its bit slow on G3 due to the low processor speed, is it right? Are you able to tether the net connection from the phone to PC? I used to connect the net through GPRS at home. Hows the performance on CM7?

BTW, Did you tried the Viveks ROM?
I have tried the following ROMs:

1. Vivek's ROM
2. Kyrillos ROM
3. CM 6.2
4. CM 7.1
5. Froyo 2.2 rooted, OC to 800Mhz

I found option 4 and 5 to work best on the phone due to GPU and HW limitations.

I think there is tethering support in CM - As I use wifi to connect to net, I dont know much about tethering.
Old 30th January 2012, 23:52   #7554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N

But, if I open up my back cover, I see lot of dust all over the inside of the cover and also on the side below the battery (the inside portion where we have the slider to open the back cover).
I don't know if that is a problem with my handset or others also have this dust. I won't call it dust resistant in any way.
Actually that part of the Defy will be covered in dust or water as the cover is having some gap there , specially the speaker area, BUT it wont harm our phones in any way, as the main area where the battery is kept is always dust / water free due to the protective rubber lining.
BTW, the screen should be supporting wet finger tracking. Current screen is not that friendly with wet or dusty fingers.

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 30th January 2012 at 23:55.
Old 31st January 2012, 02:03   #7555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I think we just got our expectations too high. After using S2 for so long and now using a note i can say that Notes bigger battery just does what we want. I get atleast 1.5 days in stock with lots of usage, full time 3G and what not.

S2 without any of those protection, covers and stuff is the best phone to use and to achieve that they had to compromise on battery.

And i dont know why we fuss so much about charging. I just connect my data cable everytime i sit with my computer. It doesnt really make any difference to me even if battery is just 10 hrs.
That may be your pattern of usage; but surely you don't think ever one's pattern matches yours?? Personally, much of my time is in front of a comp; but there are times when it is not so! Imagine people travelling... its the biggest hassle for them by far.

Further, SMPS of many/most comps (esp. the cheap ones in desktops) are not very reliable (or safe) wrt their power output. The most glaring evidence of this is the fact that most phones don't hold charge well when charged thru a comp's USB port as they do when charged off the mains. Nor are power outlets in trains reliable.

Or maybe you like to always lug your laptop and a USB cable along with our phone, as a charging option? Hats off if you do... but if I had to do that, I would do exactly this ->

I for one really hope that some radical solution will dawn some day to solve the mobile backup power crisis.

Last edited by Raccoon : 31st January 2012 at 02:04.
Old 31st January 2012, 10:10   #7556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Well, I have tried the water proofing on my wifey's Defy. Our little angel always gets it dirty with all those foods she take. What I do is simply wash the Defy under water. No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
The most glaring evidence of this is the fact that most phones don't hold charge well when charged thru a comp's USB port as they do when charged off the mains.
Could you please explain this more? Is it like when charged to 100% through USB and through power outlet, batteries differ in their back up time? Am not understanding this part, as IMO once the battery is fully charged through any source, it should behave identical. What ever be the power source, battery should put out a clean DC current. But yes, there are cases reported when battery level get stuck on 100% when charging on some USB ports. I think its more to do with the calibration of battery. Being said that, I charge my Neo through wall charger, laptop and my cheap desktop and never had any noticeable difference in discharge pattern. I had this 100% battery stuck issue, but a battery wipe from CWM recovery did the job.
Old 31st January 2012, 11:31   #7557
Senior - BHPian

@Raccoon

You mean to say while travelling its a crime to carry a charger. My point is simple. If the charge is down, just recharge it.

Unless you want a slightly heavier phone with a bigger battery your problem of lesser battery life will never be resolved.

May be advancement in technology will lead to smaller batteries giving better life and i still believe people will opt for devices which are not so ok in battery and go down on size.

For example if there is atechnology that gives 2 days battery life for the S2(lets say) i am pretty sure people will be ok to get a slimmer S2 with a 1 day battery life using the same technology which will push more energy in a smaller size battery.

I simply dont whine for charging my phone. Its just part and parcel of having a device as big as a tablet.

Gone are the days of using Nokia where the phone was heavy, clumsy and had great battery life because the battery itself was heavy and big.
Old 31st January 2012, 12:12   #7558
Distinguished - BHPian

This might be a pretty dumb question but I would request help from the experts as I did try searching for an answer on the net but was unable to come across any. I am unable to get the phone to display on the My Computer window of my laptop.

When I connect my Galaxy R to my laptop I get a notification - USB Connected / MTP - Connected.

If I go to Wireless and network -> USB Utilities -> USB Mass Storage, I see the message Tap the button below to copy files between the computer and SD card 'Connect Storage to PC'.

When I click that, I get a message - Attention, USB is connected. Remove the cable 'OK'

Since it does not recognize the USB connection, I am unable to use Kies Air except through WiFi and Protable WiFi hotspot (which are not always available).
Old 31st January 2012, 12:14   #7559
Senior - BHPian

Guys is it possible to tethering a blackberry to an android phone via wifi or bluetooth ?

I want to use my blackberry data plan on the android phone.
Old 31st January 2012, 13:08   #7560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
This might be a pretty dumb question but I would request help from the experts as I did try searching for an answer on the net but was unable to come across any. I am unable to get the phone to display on the My Computer window of my laptop.

When I connect my Galaxy R to my laptop I get a notification - USB Connected / MTP - Connected.

If I go to Wireless and network -> USB Utilities -> USB Mass Storage, I see the message Tap the button below to copy files between the computer and SD card 'Connect Storage to PC'.

When I click that, I get a message - Attention, USB is connected. Remove the cable 'OK'

Since it does not recognize the USB connection, I am unable to use Kies Air except through WiFi and Protable WiFi hotspot (which are not always available).
I had similar problem with my M110S and it turned out that USB hosting had to be enabled via Notification window, as well.

Can You check if You have any similar options under the Notification window, after connecting the cable.

Most Viewed