Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2012, 23:57   #7576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast

The simplest way to do that is, download the stock firmware like KL3 and use PC ODIN to flash it.
Why complicate when i can actually flash just the kernel? Of course pc odin is last resort and i did download the kl3 fw but giving a last try to see if i can just flash the kernel. Will update accdly. Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 23:58   #7577
BHPian

+1 for defy, as I am also loving it since the begining & still not geting bored.
Also with defy you wont have to worry much about your money spent, as defy is fairly life proof as advertised. Though the camera quality is not that good, but that was not my priority, so very well pleased with the choice as it also offers LOTS of customized ROMs. Agree with all other Defy owners here: no hangs as stated by your friend. Even with stock speed of 800mhz, its lag free + with 512 mb of RAM, no worries for multitasking.

So have no second doubt about Defy/+ else check ownership review for Neo V.
offroad_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 06:11   #7578
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

+10 for defy - Running at 1.2GHz with custom ROMs CM7.1 and WIUI 1.12.16 ICS. Wonderful experience and fairly bullet proof
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 08:10   #7579
Senior - BHPian

One of my iPhone friend is saying, "Android has everything just for name's sake, while iOs rocks"

He is not ready to give specifics as to why he thinks like that. I am not sure how to respond!
Old 1st February 2012, 08:16   #7580
Senior - BHPian

Where in Bengaluru would I have to go for replacing the glass on my Motorola Defy. I shattered the glass and need to replace it. The LCD itself and everything is fine.
You find Samsung, Sony service centres a lot more.
Old 1st February 2012, 09:10   #7581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
One of my iPhone friend is saying, "Android has everything just for name's sake, while iOs rocks"

He is not ready to give specifics as to why he thinks like that. I am not sure how to respond!
For the cost of 1 Iphone, you can buy 2 or more Android and have fun - Can they have a Custom ROM?
Old 1st February 2012, 09:28   #7582
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi guys,i'm back again with a silly question.Whats a custom ROM and how do we use it/install on phone?what are the advantages of it?Will it help in increasing my battery life also?I'm using a Samsung Galaxy SII.(not the G series).
Old 1st February 2012, 09:44   #7583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It is complete integration.

My friend (a staunch long term Nokia loyalist) just bought a Omnia W (Nokia had no front camera + worse screen). The people integration WP Mango has, is quite seamless and incredible. It just works, and is nicely built-in. Unlike the rest of us who need to plan things to figure out how they work (Social hub of sammy or Motorola's Motoblur dont come close) or install some apps - he has most things he needs (he just wants a phone that works).

And he is a heavy caller (max half an hour of browsing/TP, but continuous 3G sync) - his phone over BT lasts 1.5+ days easily (more than my Defy or another colleague's iPhone 4 do).

iOS again is neatly integrated. Android now needs to move to the next level, by integrating alot of apps as basic services for a fully featured OS experience for the guy who doesn't want to install any apps for it. For the rest of us, i am still quite happy with all the fun android provides.

The other example is how awesome the WajkIUI is (dialer etc apps) compared to the crap that Motorola employs an army of coders to provide as stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Where in Bengaluru would I have to go for replacing the glass on my Motorola Defy. I shattered the glass and need to replace it. The LCD itself and everything is fine.
You find Samsung, Sony service centres a lot more.
Damn. But boss - mobile phone centers are limited for most people - it should not be a regular visit. You don't buy a car assuming you'll rear end a truck, would you? Best of luck with a quick replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
For the cost of 1 Iphone, you can buy 2 or more Android and have fun - Can they have a Custom ROM?
i disagree on the custom ROM bit - if Motorola had given WajkIUI standard, none of us Defy users would need custom ROMs - that said, iOS is losing its way terribly. Being one of the world's top 2-3 semiconductor buyers, they should pass on their scale advantages to customers - had iP4S been competitively priced like 30k INR - more than half the SGS2 users wouldn't have bought the SGS2, no? If iP4 was 20k, you and I would've bought an iPhone - I sure would have. Just the way I bought the iPad2 over all other android tabs.
Old 1st February 2012, 09:54   #7584
BHPian

Quote:

Haha, I always had this colleague who used to reply "Whatever said, iPhone is iPhone" when we nag him about it. And you know what recently he joined the Android family and now he is having at least a 1000 reasons not to buy iPhone
Old 1st February 2012, 10:10   #7585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
It is complete integration.

Damn. But boss - mobile phone centers are limited for most people - it should not be a regular visit. You don't buy a car assuming you'll rear end a truck, would you? Best of luck with a quick replacement.
But we still buy insurance for our cars? And people buy Marutis for peace of mind in case something happens. I understand your view point but I am waiting for a good Nokia on Windows mobile !

Also, I hate the way contacts are managed on Android. I create a new message and not all contacts are available. If you go to the phone button and click on 'contacts' tab, you get the complete list of contacts. Even going through the contact button on the phone, you dont see all the contacts.

It might have something to do with having contacts on SIM and in phone. But if it can integrate both lists at some places and not everywhere, it sucks.

For one of my friend's SMSes, I dont delete them. The set limit was 200 which I have changed to unlimited, but I still lose them when I hit around 50 or something. One more of it sucks

When you delete a message, it clears the message body but still doesnt move out to the inbox and stays with just headers with no body....

Last edited by srishiva : 1st February 2012 at 10:13.
Old 1st February 2012, 10:45   #7586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yeah Iphone @ 20K is a good buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
i disagree on the custom ROM bit - if Motorola had given WajkIUI standard, none of us Defy users would need custom ROMs - that said, iOS is losing its way terribly. Being one of the world's top 2-3 semiconductor buyers, they should pass on their scale advantages to customers - had iP4S been competitively priced like 30k INR - more than half the SGS2 users wouldn't have bought the SGS2, no? If iP4 was 20k, you and I would've bought an iPhone - I sure would have. Just the way I bought the iPad2 over all other android tabs.
Yeah IP is damn expensive, huge memory and built like a rock. My friend actually threw his iPhone with a bumper to prove this point..I dare not do that to my Defy!!

That said - Apple can reduce the price of its IP and still make money!! Read somewhere that they make quite a neat profit for each IP sold!!

Maybe the days of IP5 for 10K is not far away eh?

The thing with Android custom roms is each of them have their own quirks!! Wish they followed a standard!!
Old 1st February 2012, 10:53   #7587
Senior - BHPian

Gave my S2 yesterday for a hardware issue to Samsung, and am using the Iphone 4 as a standby.

I hate the iOS!! It is more "polished" than Android... that is pretty obvious, but falls way short in customization and good old common sense!

I miss my Android !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
My friend actually threw his iPhone with a bumper to prove this point..I dare not do that to my Defy!!
Actually, if you drop any iphone 4 without bumper/cover and chances of the front/rear glass breaking are EXTREMELY high!

Why? Because the edges of the glass a exposed and actually jutting out of the metal portion. Have 4 iphones in the family, and have gone through quite a few screen replacements.

S2 on the other hand has a much better approach. The screen is actually "recessed" inside, with a 0.5 mm frame raised on all 4 sides. Much better fall protection! The original S did not have this.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 1st February 2012 at 11:00.
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 11:05   #7588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Couldnt agree more. Apple in India could have made a big dent by just pricing the Iphone right. Most of the users here have either sourced it from Singapore or US.

30K for the Iphone 4S 16 GB would have definitely given SGS2 some run. 20K is too low for apple to sell and 45K is just insane.(i mean we are reaching the point of building a PC or buying a laptop which has a sim card slot like the X series of Sony(I am thinking one model has a 3G card slot).

Android is good with customization but still Iphone has some features that is a must. Like their Outlook integration lets retrieve details of contacts while android can only display the email id.

Custom ROM's still aiming to emulate Ios if not entirely but to a major extent. ICS looks like a good step forward. But my sincere hope is to see the OS giving us a more perfect email application as well.

SOmeone who has used Iphone 4s can vouch the camera and the response of the camera in Iphone is quite faster compared to the ones we have in Samsung. Its not really laggy but still lags compared to an Iphone.

I wish SGS2 or a Note comes with Windows 8 which will definitely make life easier for someone who needs Outlook big time including DRMS

Last edited by VW2010 : 1st February 2012 at 11:11.
Old 1st February 2012, 15:04   #7589
BHPian

Gurus,
Whats the good app for viewing offline maps? Does Sygic comes with some preloded maps?
What android app gives fairly accurate GPS navigation?
Old 1st February 2012, 15:15   #7590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva

Also, I hate the way contacts are managed on Android. I create a new message and not all contacts are available. If you go to the phone button and click on 'contacts' tab, you get the complete list of contacts. Even going through the contact button on the phone, you dont see all the contacts.

It might have something to do with having contacts on SIM and in phone. But if it can integrate both lists at some places and not everywhere, it sucks.

For one of my friend's SMSes, I dont delete them. The set limit was 200 which I have changed to unlimited, but I still lose them when I hit around 50 or something. One more of it sucks

When you delete a message, it clears the message body but still doesnt move out to the inbox and stays with just headers with no body....
These problems seems to be one of case, i don't face these issues. All contacts are considered for a search, and messages are managed just fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks